Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Trying to set a new record for the hatch to table record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

hope and vaseline posted:

human tongue be the forbidden worm
Fingers and toes can also be fair game.

Our Sky has just been given a suprelorin implant as she laid two thin shelled eggs (that broke easily) in 12 hours. She was given a thorough check over by the vet, paying particular attention to her cross beak, and has put on 200grams since we re-homed her 3 months ago. She now weighs a smidge over 2kg (4 lb, 4 oz).

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 13, 2022

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Family photo. Kylo Hen had to be a show-off and stretch their newly functional wings.

Slightly better family photo for everyone else:

Tammy's been getting cuddlier with me. She likes to wedge herself into the crook of my elbow and poof up and make happy cooing noises.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Tammy's been getting cuddlier with me. She likes to wedge herself into the crook of my elbow and poof up and make happy cooing noises.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

wilson just tried to fly into my open mouth
the love of quail :kimchi:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like chickens, especially the ones that are potentially of tomorrow.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Half the covey has graduated to the hutch outside as of last night (all the ones that had their head/face feathers come in). Initially it was just going to be Tammy going back outside after storm cleanup was complete, but we didn't want her to be alone. First it was just Zapdos...

But as soon as we closed them in, Zapdos started crying....loudly. We quick scooped up Windlord and all of the Pharaohs and added them and Zapdos settled down nicely.

Yes, their coop has a light on a timer. And a solar-powered bluetooth speaker :D

They're tentative, but as of this morning they're going in and out of the coop independently, clearly eating and drinking without issue.

This was not intentional, but I caught all 6 chicks in that image. You can see Windlord and Gerald Pancakes inside, and Peanut Hamper's peeking around the stairs.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i finally understand the name Peanut Hamper

Really should have watched Lower Decks before this week.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's a mathematically perfect name!

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

a strange fowl posted:

the love of quail :kimchi:

house is the more affectionate one for sure - he'll very happily sit on my keyboard while i'm trying to type, and he likes back scritches and being held close (only for like thirty seconds but we are working on it!!!)

he also has never crowed, which i appreciate because i'm sleeping in there with them

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
https://i.imgur.com/739VDZd.mp4

Korben Dallas and Quinlan (the two cinnamon(?) ones) graduated today and joined the crew outside.

Tammy has definitely begun to chill out. I think having to come inside for almost a week was rough, combined with suddenly having to share here home with these dang kids. She seems to be accepting them, though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Speaking of heat sources, I'm curious what those of you in northern climes do to keep water from freezing during the winter.

I've used one of these low-wattage puck de-icers for the past two winters. It was super effective for a 2 gallon bucket, but less so for my 5 gallon bucket, which would freeze up pretty solid any time it got below 20 for more than a few hours overnight.

I like it because it's only 60 watts, but I think I need to up my wattage. However I can't go whole hog because I'm running the de-icer and a cozy coop panel (200 watts) off about 150 feet of 16/3 outdoor extension cord, so ideally I'd stay under 600 watts total.

This one has generally great reviews as far as "keeps water wet" but also does not seem to last super long.

Anyone have a better solution? I don't want to bring water into the coop because that seems to be an invitation for wet/frozen/dead chickens. I'd also like to keep using the 5 gallon bucket if possible just to lessen the amount of water I've got to deal with in the winter.

I just bring the water in at night right now, I'm hoping to have a pump or something next year.

Edit: I was thinking about something like this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-keep-55-gal-automatic-waterer-from-freezing-in-winter.1330228/post-21917679

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 18, 2022

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Borbs are just borbing. It got down to about 50 last night (the FL equivalent of like -10 based on how everyone here acts), but they were fine.

That said, they still get a nightly hot water bottle.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tiny floofs. :3:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The final batch has graduated to the hutch so all 13 quail are now together outside (and we get our craft room back).

Weirdly, Wumbus (the smallest and youngest, in the back) is the one who adapted fastest and is loving it. The others are still in the conservative exploration phase.

We did notice a weird thing: We put these 4 in the coop and the vererans fled outside for a second. When they came back in one at a time, most of them did a weird posturing thing? They'd open up their wings really wide and hold it for a second. Then they'd flap and jump around for a few seconds....then just went up to each of the noobs in turn and went back out.

No aggression, they all already knew each other from the weeks in the brooder and they're getting along great. That was just such a weird behavior, especially after more than one of the birds did it one after the other, like it was a ritual.

Birds are weird.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The final batch has graduated to the hutch so all 13 quail are now together outside (and we get our craft room back).
your quail are delightful, you did an amazing job :3: this was the first brood you ever hatched?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a strange fowl posted:

your quail are delightful, you did an amazing job :3: this was the first brood you ever hatched?

Yup :D

My wife had been asking to have quail for a while (since I need to fight the HOA to allow chickens) but we had to get the rest of the house in shape first. Then last month a student at the university where she teachers got caught with a pet in the dorms: Tammy (not named Tammy, though). So a snap decision was made to take her and then to get a bunch of eggs.

To be clear: this is like 90% her, I'm just good at taking pictures of animals and posting them.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it's been lovely to watch. you can tell by how bright and chill they are that the quail are happy with their lives. tammy is gorgeous, i hope her old owner knows that she went to a loving home.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
They definitely look happy.

I went out and they were all in a big pile....except for Tammy who had to be in the wicker house by herself.

Then one stretched all the way out on their belly with both legs sticking back, I've never seen a bird do this:

It's weird, as soon as we go out there, they are like, "Oh poo poo, I forgot we can go OUTSIDE!" Then there's a mass exodus and they start playing with their toys and foraging and stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/7TS7Uk0.mp4

Quail life is good. Everyone is getting along and they're enjoying all the enrichment materials in their yard....the video had sound but imgur chopped it, there's classical music playing on their bluetooth speaker.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That flopped-over-legs-out pose is one of content and relaxation. That is a safe and happy quail.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

my cat is norris posted:

That flopped-over-legs-out pose is one of content and relaxation. That is a safe and happy quail.

Oh good :kimchi:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sad news. My neighbours two doors down have chickens now. They're very cute; they have some full-grown ones and some that are coop-ready but still growing. I think they have the same prefab coop we started out with, too. The problem is that they didn't build a run. Now, I've had some chickens that jumped their run and went wondering, but their whole flock has gone wandering.

I've had to herd them out of my yard, through the next-door neighbour's front yard and back home a few times. The neighbour's dog (who is in the well-fenced back yard) has already killed one of them, so they put some plywood over a length of fencing so he wouldn't see them 24/7. I have a good relationship with the next-door neighbours, so I know they won't be bothered when they see me herding the chickens back home.

If it were anybody else, I'd go to the two-doors-down neighbours and suggest they build a run. I'd even offer to help, and give them the garden stakes and chicken wire I've had in my shed ever since I took my coop down. But they're obnoxious right-wing chuds. I know this from things I've heard from the neighbours, and slurs I've overheard from their backyard parties. So I'm not gonna make this my problem.

I think they were coming to my yard because I had a lot of fallen leaves for them to forage in. We cleaned up the yard this past weekend, which will probably dissuade them in the future.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

my cat is norris posted:

:unsmith:

also, that dangling mealworm jar is genius! i might steal that idea.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
That looks like the omlet one? I have that and the standing pecker. In theory it should spread out treats over time. In practice the chickens crowd around it and peck it into submission in the space of about 15 minutes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We have one of those, and the ladies are too stupid to realise that they can peck it to get corn, so we have to position it in a place that they brush against it when they’re walking through the door to the run…

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
guess who just escaped and got stuck behind a bookshelf like a total CHUMP

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

w4ddl3d33 posted:

guess who just escaped and got stuck behind a bookshelf like a total CHUMP

Borb: unrepentant

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

First night out of town in a while and the drat birds forgot how to sleep in the coop

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
today i saw a bug in my boys' enclosure so to be on the safe side i've treated it for mites and my WORD housing powder stinks

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I sold my ducks today. I’m a bit sad. They all went together and their new family is brand new to ducks so I see a lot of treats in their future. Hopefully they will be happy.

I have to get very minor surgery on my foot in February so I’m trying to reduce the chores that my helper will have to do at that time. “Stay off your feet for 2 to 4 weeks” my doctor said. How ridiculous.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...
It's that time of the year when my girls stop laying and I dream about fresh eggs for months.

Joburg posted:

I sold my ducks today. I’m a bit sad.

Awww, I hope they settle into their new home and safe healing to you.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Awww, I hope they settle into their new home and safe healing to you.
Yeah, all this.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mustache Ride posted:

First night out of town in a while and the drat birds forgot how to sleep in the coop

Got home and found out a baby possum has been terrorizing my chickens and that's why they refused to sleep inside. Locked them up in a cage in the garage and set a bunch of traps with tasty lunch meat. Anybody have any other suggestions for possums?

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 27, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

Got home and found out a baby possum has been terrorizing my chickens and that's why they refused to sleep inside. Locked them up in a cage in the garage and set a bunch of traps with tasty lunch meat. Anybody have any other suggestions for possums?

I trapped one with cashews. Maybe grapes or something too?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you're willing and able to kill the possum, a "dog proof trap" baited with marshmallow is extremely effective. You can also use a live trap and dump thr possum somewhere, but it depends on local laws. Here it's illegal to relocate pest animals if you're not a licensed animal handler.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I trapped mine in a cage and released it in my yard, they're fine to have around if you can keep them out of the coop.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

Here it's illegal to relocate pest animals if you're not a licensed animal handler.

Yeah it's illegal here too probably but I'm going to do it anyways. Stupid laws

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Our quail kind of went viral on imgur over the weekend:

https://imgur.com/gallery/6yftymS

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Our quail kind of went viral on imgur over the weekend:

https://imgur.com/gallery/6yftymS

The best quail and the best names.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
More quail!

Here's Peanut Hamper taking a bath (sound but not super important).

https://i.imgur.com/nq9HxiS.mp4

And here's Volly having some F E E L I N G S they needed to share I guess (sound on).

https://i.imgur.com/hTaALBu.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BaronVonVaderham posted:

And here's Volly having some F E E L I N G S they needed to share I guess (sound on).
:kimchi: ribbit ribbit ribbit ribbit ribbit

i've rarely heard a rooster make that noise, so volly is likely a hen.