Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

speng31b posted:

he was a good and honest revolutionary and cspam loves him

gently caress that guy also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

speng31b posted:

---nothing--- is more important than posting

posting is a serious crime

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

speng31b posted:

he was a good and honest revolutionary and cspam loves him

The video was neutral on Trotsky but he didn't stand out to me as particularly bad or wrong, though I also haven't read any of his work before and have no idea what the big differences between him and other guys are

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!

Willa Rogers posted:

nah, I'll just trot them out as needed when he posts his disingenuous bullshit in c-spam. If I have to go digging poo poo up it'll just piss me off again that I got punished for pointing his bullshit out in dnd.

but please do port the econ thread's old title to the student-loan thread, though: Lyin' Leon's House of Malarkey would fit it really well. :)

i only have power in the marxism thread, sorry

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

NeatHeteroDude posted:

The video was neutral on Trotsky but he didn't stand out to me as particularly bad or wrong, though I also haven't read any of his work before and have no idea what the big differences between him and other guys are

The meeting ended with Trotsky being ordered to make a public statement admitting and apologizing for crimes against the workers' state. Trotsky jumped from his seat and tried to slam the door of the throne room at the Kremlin. The hall door is massive, Trotsky pulled it with all his strength, but it was dead slow to open. In his fury, he did not notice and made repeated attempts to bang it shut. Thus instead of witnessing a dramatic gesture indicating a historic breach, we watched a sorry figure struggling with a door.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I watched one of those cute history videos with the stick men a out the communist revolution and it included a lot about Trotsky. What's the standard take on his politics/ideology in cspam?

the guy himself was hit and miss; even his followers aren't all bad, but a huge chunk of them range from extremely annoying entryists to getting so mad at the USSR that they turned into the neocons

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

what even is the point of being an ik if you can't exercise your limited power in extremely petty ways

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!

Lib and let die posted:

what even is the point of being an ik if you can't exercise your limited power in extremely petty ways

i do, but only in that thread

tbh i was mostly using this as a pretext to get az to give me forum-wide ik powers so i could gas the threads i dont like

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!
alas, what couldve been

speng31b
May 8, 2010

croup coughfield posted:

tbh i was mostly using this as a pretext to get az to give me forum-wide ik powers so i could gas the threads i dont like

az, give op ik power itt and gas it

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
LeonTrotsky2012 is strong and my friend.

croup coughfield posted:

Do it, Azathot. Do it, you won't.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

very funny that trotsky went from one of the bolshevik's best generals to the guy who's organizations try to slel you newspapers

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

very funny that trotsky went from one of the bolshevik's best generals to the guy who's organizations try to slel you newspapers

any good writeups on Trotsky's time as a general/military organizer?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

LeonTrotsky2012 is strong and my friend.

Do it, Azathot. Do it, you won't.

Overweight middle-aged poster goes to mod forum, gets pumped with massive authority over many forums, doesn't think good and changes - ADMIN. Many such cases!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

odnt really care baout hte d&d mod but more iks should probe mods

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

odnt really care baout hte d&d mod but more iks should probe mods

we should create a new type of ik that can only probe mods and mods cant probe or ban them

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!
correct

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Cerebral Bore posted:

The meeting ended with Trotsky being ordered to make a public statement admitting and apologizing for crimes against the workers' state. Trotsky jumped from his seat and tried to slam the door of the throne room at the Kremlin. The hall door is massive, Trotsky pulled it with all his strength, but it was dead slow to open. In his fury, he did not notice and made repeated attempts to bang it shut. Thus instead of witnessing a dramatic gesture indicating a historic breach, we watched a sorry figure struggling with a door.

That's a bummer!

StashAugustine posted:

the guy himself was hit and miss; even his followers aren't all bad, but a huge chunk of them range from extremely annoying entryists to getting so mad at the USSR that they turned into the neocons

Ah, I sort of see. I'll have to watch a video or something to get insight into what you mean

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

hes right and cpt obvious is a fuckin moron so now im back on the fence

Glass houses, mod.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
When those with authority commit unlawful acts, it is especially heinous. There is a special unit that exists to investigate mod-involved posting crimes. These are their stories...

SA: Internal Affairs

BOM BOM

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
All I know about Leon Trotsky the historical figure is that it cost like 50pp to assassinate him if you play as Stalin in HOI4.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Glass houses, mod.

no judgement brother, just the facts. one love

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

I already told you, if you can prove that lt2012 is Californian, then Calibanibal is oath-bound to hunt them down

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Do you know how every poster in cspam has a stalin av or wants to be like stalin? If a cspam poster were alive during the October revolution, they'd have been a trotsky or trotskyite.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

really queer Christmas posted:

Do you know how every poster in cspam has a stalin av or wants to be like stalin? If a cspam poster were alive during the October revolution, they'd have been a trotsky or trotskyite.

nah they would've been a menshevik

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

croup coughfield posted:

no judgement brother, just the facts. one love

cbt is unironically a very good way to intervene on the anxious/inaccurate thought patterns and perspectives that make us feel bad. can't imagine going to a mental health counselor and telling them their poo poo doesn't work lol

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 59 days!

NeatHeteroDude posted:

can't imagine going to a mental health counselor and telling them their poo poo doesn't work lol

ive done this and wouldnt you know it i never got anything useful out of those sessions

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

tristeham posted:

nah they would've been a menshevik
pretty sure they would've been democrats or republicans on account of most of em being americans

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

really queer Christmas posted:

They would have been pol pot. Who was too stupid to understand Marx and just decided to copy Stalin.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

cbt is unironically a very good way to intervene on the anxious/inaccurate thought patterns and perspectives that make us feel bad. can't imagine going to a mental health counselor and telling them their poo poo doesn't work lol

CBT is like a painkiller, a way to manage symptoms of a psychological disorder. It will not address the underlying issue.

For example, let's say you have ocd and compulsively clean. CBT may help you stop yourself from obsessively cleaning, but the cause of your obsessive cleaning goes unaddressed. Many people need some more intensive treatment to unravel the cause of this behavior. Same goes for psychopharmaceuticals.

Cpt_Obvious has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Nov 22, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Phone posted:

see thread title

thanks

No

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

CBT is like a painkiller, a way to manage symptoms of a psychological disorder. It will not address the underlying issue.

For example, let's say you have ocd and compulsively clean. CBT may help you stop yourself from obsessively cleaning, but the cause of your obsessive cleaning goes unaddressed. Many people need some more intensive treatment to unravel the cause of this behavior. Same goes for psychopharmaceuticals.

The difference from self-medicating with alcohol is not a huge as we might like to think; for alcohol we just have centuries of evidence of its negative effects

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

never thought about it like that but I guess it does make sense that annihilating your own cock and balls would intervene on anxious/inaccurate thought patterns

the weed ogre
Nov 18, 2022

Leon's crime is actually being insanely tedious and being the living incarnation of :actually:

It's more of a lifetime achievement award than anything that can be perceived in a single post

e: the holocaust denial seems bad tho

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

im hot to trotsky

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

malarkey is a funny word

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

yup

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
also kshama sawant is a trot

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Mods beget mods