Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2208920/Assassins_Creed_Valhalla/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/916440/Anno_1800/

As for Anno 1800, it was available for a very brief time, but has achievements, cards, DLCs and what have you.

Does anyone know how save games work on Ubisoft Connect, when you have bought a game both directly from Ubisoft but also from Steam?
Does it use your Ubisoft Connect account and cloud saves, can you copy a folder, or are these things just not compatible?
I know that several games are stored on your profile, like eg. Watch Dogs 2, which I originally bought on Steam, and then got for free from Ubisoft, but do they use the same save location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I own Anno 1800 on Steam so I’m mostly happy that I won’t have to rely on SteamDB links to find new DLC now lol

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

orcane posted:

Ubisoft going "Epic exclusive" was funny because EGS was just an alternative storefront and payment processor, while the games still required Uplay/Ubisoft Connect. Very smart of Ubisoft to get free Epic money, too bad they forgot how to make games in the past two years.

Hey now, Immortals Fenyx Rising, poo poo name aside, was pretty decent and oh god it came out in 2020 why must time continue to slip through my fingers

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

does anybody else think it's slightly greedy to release a game from 1005 at full price

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hey now, Immortals Fenyx Rising, poo poo name aside, was pretty decent and oh god it came out in 2020 why must time continue to slip through my fingers

Oh yeah I'll also buy this for $5 ($7.50 for the gold edition!) on sale.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I thought Immortals was okay, I spent probably around 30-40 hours on it.

However, like most Ubisoft open world games, I never reached the end because there's just too much side content and you get so easily distracted from the main story.

Same for Valhalla, spent tons of hours in it but never reached the end. And I'm even one of the sickos that liked the Asgard portions...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sadly that’s true for me too. For both games. Though I hope to return to Valhalla eventually. I nearly finished it (and stupidly bought the expansions ahead of time)

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Guess the Deck is a bigger success than Ubisoft thought it'd be, since they did say they'd come crawling back if it was a success. Also means that "30% WAHHHH!" whining of theirs was total bullshit, since I guess more sales at 30% is better than 5% of a freeloading base sales (and maybe 1-2% on your lovely client only) from freeloaders.

I'll buy Valhalla when it's sub-$30 for how loving long Ubisoft took. Same with The Division 2 and Scott Pilgrim. Otherwise Ubisoft hasn't made a game worth a drat since they removed themselves from Steam, so I'm not exactly jonesing to buy a lot of their stuff.

I do hope when the MS acquisition is finalized (if ever) Blizzard's stuff and CoD:MW1's remake is brought over, since I'm basically sitting and waiting for Minecraft [which isn't Blizzard granted] and Diablo 2: Remastered to hit Steam.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mescal posted:

does anybody else think it's slightly greedy to release a game from 1005 at full price

I do, it's a priceless historical artifact

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Also means that "30% WAHHHH!" whining of theirs was total bullshit, since I guess more sales at 30% is better than 5% of a freeloading base sales (and maybe 1-2% on your lovely client only) from freeloaders.

valve eased off their 30% cut after big publishers like EA and ubisoft started leaving for their own launchers, so they did ultimately get something out of it

now it's a tiered system where the cut starts at 30% and drops to 25% and then 20% for games with significant revenue, giving the big publishers with leverage over valve a discount while excluding indies

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The deck is great fun and an astounding piece of kit. Been really impressed by it since purchase.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

repiv posted:

valve eased off their 30% cut after big publishers like EA and ubisoft started leaving for their own launchers, so they did ultimately get something out of it

Eh, I dunno about that. Their sales cratered. I think EA only benefited for BF3-4? But Ubisoft post-Steam has been a blackhole of sales (like every other Epic exclusive game).

quote:

now it's a tiered system where the cut starts at 30% and drops to 25% and then 20% for games with significant revenue, giving the big publishers with leverage over valve a discount while excluding indies

So the people that didn't need it (aka: AAA publishers) that whined about the 30% cut get a "tax rebate" while the ones that do need the "tax rebate"/cut decrease (indies) generally didn't whine too hard and accepted it. Yay, capitalism. :salute:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

indies can whine as much as they want but their games are doomed to fail if they don't release on steam (unless epic eats the loss for them) so valve has no reason to concede anything to them

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

John Murdoch posted:

But yeah, it really can't be overemphasized that Arkham combat is a rhythm game at its heart. The only times you should be doing anything close to button mashing are 1) at the very, very start of a combo when you're not in free flow mode yet, like all of 2-3 hits and 2) in later games the cape stun -> rapid punches move.
Fine. Button "hammering". Against generic mooks, it takes 5-10 "hit this guy" button presses (not mashes) to knock one out. In a very graceful and rhythmic way, to be sure. Then you need to hammer that button another 50 or 100 times for all his mates. More if you get hit and knocked out of your combo. And a thirty second walk down the street, you have an identical gang of random mooks.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mescal posted:

Runa posted:

I do, it's a priceless historical artifact

Battle Chess is actually 30% off right now, so...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Xander77 posted:

Fine. Button "hammering". Against generic mooks, it takes 5-10 "hit this guy" button presses (not mashes) to knock one out. In a very graceful and rhythmic way, to be sure. Then you need to hammer that button another 50 or 100 times for all his mates. More if you get hit and knocked out of your combo. And a thirty second walk down the street, you have an identical gang of random mooks.

once you get 3 punches in batman's punches start knocking guys down, and he will happily jump 100 feet to alternate targets. you need to think more like you're playing whack a mole than trying to beat a single thug to death before moving onto the next one. the only time you should be trying to land 100 punches on a single guy in a row is if you're doing that cape stun move that's explicitly designed that way

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also once you land a certain number of punches in a row without getting hit you get an "instant kill" button for taking a guy out of the fight.

if you're trying to play it like double dragon or something you're going to have a bad time, which is what sounds like is happening

edit: this whole conversation reminds me that i have no idea why i've never been able to dislodge this from the rarest achievements showcase on my steam profile, there's way harder achievements out there to do

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 21, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

exquisite tea posted:

Never really understood why Torchlight got so much attention. Maybe it's because in 2009 there was a real drought of decent ARPGs, but everything felt so basic. The entire joy of this genre for me comes from the unique and complex interactions between character abilities and gear. When your 3 character archetypes all share the same passive abilities and items are just a numeric increase to stats without meaningfully influencing how your abilities work, it's boring boring boring!

Torchlight

a) introduced the now popular pet-vendor to ARPGs allowing you to continue smashing baddies without spending nearly as much time playing inventory tetris

b) in 2009 there was a real drought of decent ARPGs - if I remember right, the last good one was Diablo II.

c) had fishing. I think fish can transform your pet and maybe you??? I didn't play it that much. For some reason, there's a segment of the player base that loves fishing in games not otherwise about fishing.

Otherwise yeah.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jack Trades posted:

I tried out Azure Striker GUNVOLT 3, because it looked vaguely similar to Katana Zero in it's gameplay, and I found it pretty funny how the game literally has a "let a man do the hard work, honey" button, for when your female protagonist just doesn't cut it.

Is this a Streets of Rage call-the-cops-with-a-big-bazooka ultimate move button, or is this a "Charlotte! Jonathan! Charlotte! Jonathan!" character swap kind of button?

Also IS it similar to Katana Zero? Or even more importantly, just good in general? I've always been eyeing that series for what looks like some kind of MMZ boss-rush game, but haven't dipped in yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FutureCop posted:

Is this a Streets of Rage call-the-cops-with-a-big-bazooka ultimate move button, or is this a "Charlotte! Jonathan! Charlotte! Jonathan!" character swap kind of button?

Also IS it similar to Katana Zero? Or even more importantly, just good in general? I've always been eyeing that series for what looks like some kind of MMZ boss-rush game, but haven't dipped in yet.

You play through the level and build a meter, then you can spend the meter to switch to a more competent male character until the meter runs out. It's a Male Trigger if you will.

I only played a couple of levels so far and it's... somewhat reminiscent of Katana Zero. It's very much about zipping from enemy to enemy very fast and speedrunning through the level.

The amount of anime in that game is absolutely ridiculous though. You need innate anime resistance or a anime hazmat suit to deal with it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right I distinctly remember it was highly novel to play a game that felt like a good rendition of Diablo 1/2; it also feels like it was one of my first times buying a non AAA game in steam and it ran well on my not great PC. I'll always remember TL1 fondly, much more so than 2.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Combat in the Batman games, if it doesn't look similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZXNWOPO-Q

then you are doing it wrong or not understanding how the combat works or not using all the tools the game gives you to quickly dispatch groups of enemies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I pressed the X button 50 times but the fun didn't manifest itself. This game sucks.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'll always remember TL1 fondly, much more so than 2.

which is funny because at the time 2 came out everyone was like THANK GOD, :pcgaming: MULTIPLAYER :pcgaming:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Xander77 posted:

Even if you were this bad at combat, how did you not just avoid the random gangs by flying around the city??

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

LLSix posted:

Torchlight

a) introduced the now popular pet-vendor to ARPGs allowing you to continue smashing baddies without spending nearly as much time playing inventory tetris

b) in 2009 there was a real drought of decent ARPGs - if I remember right, the last good one was Diablo II.

c) had fishing. I think fish can transform your pet and maybe you??? I didn't play it that much. For some reason, there's a segment of the player base that loves fishing in games not otherwise about fishing.

Otherwise yeah.

The devs previous Fate games actually did a) and c) first but everybody always seems to forget about those

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MonkeyforaHead posted:

which is funny because at the time 2 came out everyone was like THANK GOD, :pcgaming: MULTIPLAYER :pcgaming:

I have no friends!

But seriously (actually I'm half serious about the above because I never played 2 co op but anyway) the steam punk aesthetic was so played out by two I couldn't really get into it. It was also so much more sprawling where one felt tidy and a little nostalgic for Diablo 1 specifically, one dungeon, one town, minimal plot, the three classes etc.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I get where Xander's coming from, though I'm not necessarily blaming the game. My problem is that in combat I get so focused on punching and countering that I miss the prompts for special attacks and the like. I'm honestly not even sure how to do most of them. I really wish there were some kind of rumble mode where you could practice the combat against a neverending stream of enemies, for babbies like me.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Estel posted:

Combat in the Batman games, if it doesn't look similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZXNWOPO-Q

then you are doing it wrong or not understanding how the combat works or not using all the tools the game gives you to quickly dispatch groups of enemies.

That's a great video, as it shows that it took all of three three hits and seven seconds for the combo meter to start. It's been ages since I've played so I can't quite tell when the super-sticky auto-aim begins but it's not long after.

If Batman's combat didn't click with any particular person then that's a shame, but like, it was massively popular, successful and critically acclaimed, and was copied wholesale for other titles (such as Shadows of Mordor, which started this topic). It's not bad, man.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I get where Xander's coming from, though I'm not necessarily blaming the game. My problem is that in combat I get so focused on punching and countering that I miss the prompts for special attacks and the like. I'm honestly not even sure how to do most of them. I really wish there were some kind of rumble mode where you could practice the combat against a neverending stream of enemies, for babbies like me.

All batman games have this, it's the combat challenges. They don't go forever but you can practice against various collections of enemies as much as you want.

Arkham combat is extremely hard and frustrating when all you do is hit punch and counter. Once you make an effort to learn how the moves work, what they counter, and how to use them to control the battle, it's a completely unique experience that no other game can really match imo.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

I do hope when the MS acquisition is finalized (if ever) Blizzard's stuff and CoD:MW1's remake is brought over, since I'm basically sitting and waiting for Minecraft [which isn't Blizzard granted] and Diablo 2: Remastered to hit Steam.

Fully prepared to out myself as a terrible person here, but I wish the MS/ActiBlizz thing would hurry up so I can get those Diablo games on Steam.

It’s totally the primary concern here.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Xander77 posted:

Everyone posted a bunch of tips and it can be overwhelming. For anyone playing for the first time, I would practice adding one move to my rotation at a time until I could use it without thinking about it. Your ultimate goal is to use every move you have in a fight without dropping your combo or being hit. It's a pretty deep system and takes a lot of practice to master, but I felt it was very rewarding.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The combat in the Batman games is terrible, it's designed to be as brainless as possible to make people who don't play video games feel good. If you aren't the sort of person that endless QTE combat appeals to, it'll never become fun, just tolerable at best.

The main button mashing is utterly brainless, the game gives you an extremely minor reward for turning your brain on but it's pointless and you should just mash while watching for the counter prompts, all of which have extremely generous windows for you to respond to. Just don't try to do anything logical, it's designed as a rock/paper/scissors system and just because it looks like something should work doesn't mean it will. Press the button the game tells you to, don't try to outskill it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cowcaster posted:

edit: this whole conversation reminds me that i have no idea why i've never been able to dislodge this from the rarest achievements showcase on my steam profile, there's way harder achievements out there to do

The rarest achievements profile kinda sucks because it solely counts based on how few people ever got a thing and it means that mine is locked forever since I played a now-delisted game's multiplayer.

All of these save the two obvious outliers are from Dreamkiller MP. Cool.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Thing I remember most about the first Arkham game is feeling like I have to live in Detective Mode forever.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Arkham combat rules. Sorry haters

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

All batman games have this, it's the combat challenges. They don't go forever but you can practice against various collections of enemies as much as you want.

Arkham combat is extremely hard and frustrating when all you do is hit punch and counter. Once you make an effort to learn how the moves work, what they counter, and how to use them to control the battle, it's a completely unique experience that no other game can really match imo.

Thanks. I've started practicing a little; I'm trying not to button mash and to get my combo up as high as possible. I'm still not really seeing any prompts for special takedown moves, not sure what I'm doing wrong. The only one that's always visible is the left Ctrl + RMB finishing move, but I don't use that one since the animation takes way too long.

e: ah I see, you need a pretty high combo for the left Shift + RMB finishing move

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 21, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For some reason 5 of my 6 "rarest achievements" are all from Lost Ark, which I played around launch.

4 of them are just from the pvp mode which I guess is insanely unpopular despite this being a literal MMO with hundreds of thousands of daily players.
I had a lot of fun around launch playing with a group of friends, before they even added ranked mode.
But only 0.3% of people have the achievement for "play 50 matches".

Did they break achievements or kill the pvp mode or something?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cowcaster posted:

I'm guessing it's attached to the original Arkham City and not the GOTY version that's on sale these days?

Might be pretty ancient too, I was batty enough to 100% that game and the last time I booted it up was almost 10 years ago, but even then all of mine are for the GOTY version where the rarest achievement is at 1.9% completion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kanfy posted:

I'm guessing it's attached to the original Arkham City and not the GOTY version that's on sale these days?

Might be pretty ancient too, I was batty enough to 100% that game and the last time I booted it up was almost 10 years ago, but even then all of mine are for the GOTY version where the rarest achievement is at 1.9% completion.

ahhh two different versions of the game would definitely do it