Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
OK, I'll try it out. I am finding the mechanics and math super opaque and difficult to understand so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

OK, I'll try it out. I am finding the mechanics and math super opaque and difficult to understand so far.

FE000000 has a few key mathematical concepts that you need to know to be able to make decisions in the game. If you know them, the game isn't too complicated, but if not, everything can seem very confusing and arbitrary. It's almost all basic calculus, but it can be hard to recognize the numeric laws involved. Let me try to lay them out.

First, in the options, I highly recommend going to "Show Other Options" and switching the numeric display to base-16 numbers. To do this, switch "Display base" and "Exponent base" to 16. It's fine to leave it on scientific notation.

Base-16 (or hexadecimal) is a way of writing numbers so that there are 16 digits, not just 10; it adds ABCDEF after 0 through 9. The reason it's a good idea to switch to hex is because a ton of things in FE000000 double a lot. For example, in hex, you can infinity at 1e40; in decimal it's something arbitrary like 1.3e77 or something (I don't remember exactly). You'll see lots more round numbers in hex notation, and that makes it easier to see patterns and understand what's going on.

A second important thing to understand is how various multipliers interact. For example, take normal stars and normal generators. Your normal stars increase based on the number of normal generator 1s you have; if you doubled the number of normal generator 1s you had, you'd double the number of normal stars you get every second. The same thing is true with the multiplier; the multiplier makes your generators twice as effective, so if you doubled your generator 1 multiplier, that'd double the number of normal stars you get.

In calculus terms, at any time t, the rate of change of your stars—the first derivative, s'(t), where t is the current time—, is equal to the number of generator 1s you have multiplied by your multiplier. (I don't think this is exactly right; I might have forgotten another factor involved. But it's roughly accurate.)

What about the other generators? Well, your generator 2s make generator 1s. So the first derivative of your generator 1 count is equal to the number of generator 2s you have multiplied by your generator 2 multiplier. This means that the second derivative of your stars, s'', is roughly equal to your generator 2 count multiplied by your generator 2 multiplier. And so on; it continues this way for all of the generators.

Okay, you might be asking. So what? What can I learn from this? Well, from the fundamental theorem of calculus, we know we can use the integral to reverse a derivative. And if you have a constant multiplier in a function being integrated, the integral doesn't touch it; the same constant factor will be present in the integrated function. In other words, if you double your multiplier for a generator 1, or any other normal generator, this will double the number of stars you have. This also means that doubling any normal generator multiplier has the same effect; it doesn't matter whether you double generator 1, generator 2, or any of the other ones. (As such, there's no need to worry about which generators to buy more of first. The only real exception to this rule is that buying the first generator of a type tends to have a big impact: after all, you're going from 0, so it's an infinitely huge jump.)

Similarly, you can sort of use this to see how much infinity generators do. Each infinity star makes every normal generator type more effective; as such, stuff that increases the multiplier on an infinity generator tends to be 8 times as effective as stuff that increases the multiplier on a normal generator. (The exact number changes depending on your upgrades, since one of the upgrades applies an exponent to this number, but it's around that.)

Another useful numeric trick to know is that if you apply an exponent to a number in scientific notation, that's about the same as multiplying the exponent number in the scientific notation by the new power you're applying. In other words, for example, (1e40)^2 is 1e80. This can make it easier to tell what the heck various power effects actually do. But to be honest you don't really need to think about this, all you need to know is that exponent effects tend to be really really good.

Okay, I wrote all that up and I'm not actually convinced it helps anyone at all. You don't need to know all this stuff to succeed, honest. But I already typed it so I'm gonna post now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Always good to have a refresher there's people probably 30 years removed from the classroom reading this.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
That all makes sense and sort of takes me back to calc class. The fact that generators produce the previous generator was what I didn't understand. And that makes sense why the 8th generator is multiplied by a sacrifice condition since its the end of the line.

Thanks.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
FE000000 actually has a built-in guide written by the creator that looks at your save and only shows sections up to the part you're on to prevent spoilers: https://dan-simon.github.io/misc/fe000000/guide/index.html

Of course if you want to figure things out yourself don't look at it unless you get stuck. It's very detailed.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I like that that was available from the creator, it makes it fun to figure out and if you get stuck you don't immediately have to wander around a discord and dampen the drive to keep playing

mine defense did the same thing and that's still one of the best idlers out there even though a lot of the mechanics are wildly out of date

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
so in a bizarre combination of idle game and like... doodle god, there's this https://everest-pipkin.com/barnacle-goose/

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm surprised I never see Legends of Idleon discussed here. That was my go-to for a long time but it eventually became too much upkeep and I had to pull the plug. But it was really fun for what it did.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm surprised I never see Legends of Idleon discussed here. That was my go-to for a long time but it eventually became too much upkeep and I had to pull the plug. But it was really fun for what it did.

I think the consensus was: cool game, way too loving tedious to do dailies over 7+ characters. Perhaps they've automated things since, but nobody knows since they all quit already, so basically what you said lol

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Residual Toast posted:

so in a bizarre combination of idle game and like... doodle god, there's this https://everest-pipkin.com/barnacle-goose/

It's a fun one, I wrapped it in about 12 hours yesterday. Unsure if it has a loop function or just a "new game?" at the end since the finale went into a recursive loop for me and then it just crashed back to its title screen.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I assume I'm done with FE000000 but just to confirm, there's no "game finished" screen, right? Just faster finalities forever?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

is there any reason these aren't auto-assigning?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Saraiguma posted:

Are you in a challenge?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
yes, do challenges disable auto buy?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Saraiguma posted:

Is the autowheel in the upper left spinning?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Cobalt60 posted:

I assume I'm done with FE000000 but just to confirm, there's no "game finished" screen, right? Just faster finalities forever?
If you're not done you're very close. Once you max all the finality upgrades and milestones I think you get an ending message because at that point you can finality every tick? If you have all the goals and achievements you're done.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Spazzle posted:

Is the autowheel in the upper left spinning?

no and clicking it doesn't make it spin

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Saraiguma posted:

no and clicking it doesn't make it spin

Whoops, you need to click on each icon, sword, heart, etc.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Spazzle posted:

Whoops, you need to click on each icon, sword, heart, etc.

those are all spinning

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Does this challenge disable skull purchases? You still get them so you can spend them when you leave the challenge.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

it doesn't seem to say it does

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Saraiguma posted:

yes, do challenges disable auto buy?

There are a couple of challenges that disable all skulls but the 3rd page skulls. But you shouldn’t have been able to buy anything on that first page.

I think I had a similar bug a month ago where nothing was auto buying. I toggled the master auto buy thing a few times to turn everything off (disable all individual auto buys), then back on and it seemed to fix it.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Orvin posted:

There are a couple of challenges that disable all skulls but the 3rd page skulls. But you shouldn’t have been able to buy anything on that first page.

I think I had a similar bug a month ago where nothing was auto buying. I toggled the master auto buy thing a few times to turn everything off (disable all individual auto buys), then back on and it seemed to fix it.

that seems to have done it, thanks!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Residual Toast posted:

I... can't figure out if my game is bugged/doesn't like firefox or if it's just inscrutably weird. Like I can't figure out how to drink rain even though the game says I can?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
If you can't do something with a verb, you might need another item.

You might need, say, a cup to drink things.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Infinity Gaia posted:

I... can't figure out if my game is bugged/doesn't like firefox or if it's just inscrutably weird. Like I can't figure out how to drink rain even though the game says I can?

it's inscrutablely weird. to drink rain you need a cup. Several actions are like that in that they require other things to get them.

To help things get started I would recommend getting and WEARing a Journal ASAP
which can be made of
Blood + Paper
the second ingredient listed there can be made of
Piss + Mushroom

All the other ingredients in the recipe are easily attainable if you
actively ignore your living meter

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Residual Toast posted:

it's inscrutablely weird. to drink rain you need a cup. Several actions are like that in that they require other things to get them.

which can be made of
Blood + Paper
Piss + Mushroom

Oh, I'd been trying really hard to not die. Now that I've died progress makes a lot more sense.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Residual Toast posted:

which can be made of
Blood + Paper
Piss + Mushroom

None of the ITEMS/RECIPES/NOTES/GAME links in the journal seem to do anything. Is this intentional?

e: Nevermind, refreshing fixed this issue.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 22, 2022

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I feel like I'm missing something in FAPI. I've done a couple reincarnations and got the level above 100 but none of the bonuses have been game changing. In my 3rd run I am stalled out in 1-9 like the first two and even with full resurrect gear and getting up to a +25% ressurect node I would only get 10 ressurect levels for 2 more points. This would unlock one of the 10-pointers from the 2nd row but none seem like gamechangers.

I got all my potato and skull skills auto filling and worms doing their thing. Gear is mixed purple/yellow with some upgrades.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I feel like I'm missing something in FAPI. I've done a couple reincarnations and got the level above 100 but none of the bonuses have been game changing. In my 3rd run I am stalled out in 1-9 like the first two and even with full resurrect gear and getting up to a +25% ressurect node I would only get 10 ressurect levels for 2 more points. This would unlock one of the 10-pointers from the 2nd row but none seem like gamechangers.

I got all my potato and skull skills auto filling and worms doing their thing. Gear is mixed purple/yellow with some upgrades.

Do more reincarnations. If you can keep them around 8-12 hours that’s plenty for the beginning of the game as you start to acquire all the extras. Don’t leave it auto-pushing the highest level either, push as far as it goes and then go farm back where it’s easier. Push once more at least before hitting the button to start again. The beginning was a little slow, but the more R levels you can grab the faster the game starts to go. Do some short runs to get all the classes started to gain extra skill points for run starts. It’s just a lot of R’s at the beginning of the game before it settles in somewhere around 500-750 R levels into those longer runs.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Jhet posted:

Do more reincarnations. If you can keep them around 8-12 hours that’s plenty for the beginning of the game as you start to acquire all the extras. Don’t leave it auto-pushing the highest level either, push as far as it goes and then go farm back where it’s easier. Push once more at least before hitting the button to start again. The beginning was a little slow, but the more R levels you can grab the faster the game starts to go. Do some short runs to get all the classes started to gain extra skill points for run starts. It’s just a lot of R’s at the beginning of the game before it settles in somewhere around 500-750 R levels into those longer runs.

Cool thanks. What should I prioritize for the rezz upgrades?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Cool thanks. What should I prioritize for the rezz upgrades?

Honestly, whichever seems to be the most useful at the time. Equipment will eventually be the thing you'll want to push to better numbers, but it's too early in the game that it's still difficult to prioritize. Keep getting the Reincarnation nodes, but don't skip the Attribute increase nodes (the other 25 point nodes) entirely either. You won't have enough to do both sides of the tree yet almost certainly, but chip away at it with quicker Rs and you'll start picking up steam. I like the Base Stat and Item level Reincarnation upgrades the most I'd think, but I don't remember the order I used.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Residual Toast posted:

I was excited about this game since someone had retweeted an in-progress screenshot into my face, but the end product is a bit too Purple Monkey Dishwasher for me and I'm not sure I'll finish it.

I was hoping for something layered and complex like the Alkahistorian series except based in piss and poo poo, and instead it's just literally keep combining any combination of words you can, forever, with arbitrarily long wait times for you to forget what you last did.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

from what I've read in this thread it seems a little complicated but when someone says "complex math" I just think about realm grinder and how you needed a fuckin math degree to play even remotely optimally enough to get some of the challenges / prestiges done

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Grapplejack posted:

from what I've read in this thread it seems a little complicated but when someone says "complex math" I just think about realm grinder and how you needed a fuckin math degree to play even remotely optimally enough to get some of the challenges / prestiges done

I'm a college dropout and in no way a math guy but FE is cool because the math is front and center in a way that even I can figure it out. Realm Grinder everything is obfuscated behind different bonuses with different names but in FE it's just layers of like "Ok, this number is getting multiplied by another number" and it makes it relatively easy to wrap my head about it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Sivart13 posted:

I was excited about this game since someone had retweeted an in-progress screenshot into my face, but the end product is a bit too Purple Monkey Dishwasher for me and I'm not sure I'll finish it.

I was hoping for something layered and complex like the Alkahistorian series except based in piss and poo poo, and instead it's just literally keep combining any combination of words you can, forever, with arbitrarily long wait times for you to forget what you last did.

A lot of later stuff makes more or less sense. Also: spoiler question about the ending, don't read:

I went out the airlock but stuff never stopped breaking down. I can't decide if that is a metaphor for life outside the dome or just a bug. Is that just the ending, or did I horde too much stuff? Yes I know, that was probably the bad ending since I never got to make a sunset or the moon.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

habituallyred posted:

A lot of later stuff makes more or less sense. Also: spoiler question about the ending, don't read:

I went out the airlock but stuff never stopped breaking down. I can't decide if that is a metaphor for life outside the dome or just a bug. Is that just the ending, or did I horde too much stuff? Yes I know, that was probably the bad ending since I never got to make a sunset or the moon.

Responding to that question:

I did indeed make a sunset and moon (the former is basically just there to break down into some convenient materials and a Rusty, the latter makes meteorites regularly), but I had the same issue, that's the bug I was referring to. All of my stuff broke down, and then it started breaking down into things it had already broken down, and somewhere in the middle when I went from ~5000 items to 25000 it just crashed and turned into the title screen again.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Orvin posted:

How do you not have poop assigned until 4 hours into a run?

cyrn posted:

The slow progress really doesn't have anything to do with picking milk.

Its about my playstyle, or play opportunities.
I will start a new run e.g. in the morning, then not have an opportunity to check in on it until i come home from work. But that is only if the kids don't have activities after school that day, at which point i can't really check in on the game until late in the evening. At that point the run is already so old i might as well reset instead of assigning poop and waiting even longer. Basically, when poop don't get auto assigned i essentially have 0 poop for the duration of most of my runs.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Residual Toast posted:

I don't understand how stuff that spawns other stuff works. Does it need to be in my inventory, or can it just be on the floor? I have another room, the Spring, that says it makes Rain, but I've not had Rain show up ever automatically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

habituallyred posted:

I've checked the game code and yeah that's the end no matter what. I would have reached it a lot earlier except that I stashed all the letters out of the way early on...

Good game, I'm a sucker for short finishable idlers.