Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

I. M. Gei posted:

Are mandatory office Christmas parties a thing anywhere else?

I just started a new job about a month and a half ago and they're doing an office Christmas party that my boss told me I'm basically soft-required to attend, because the company owner really wants the whole staff to be there. Only problem is it's at the main office, which is like a 4-hour drive from my house. Also I don't want to go.

Tell them they need to pay for travel & a hotel room since they are requiring you to travel for work.

That tends to get them to backoff pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Salami Surgeon posted:

Someone keeps trying to explain technical engineering concepts to me because he watched a youtube video

Dude, you need to quit Twitter right now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

boar guy posted:

yeah mine is a 3 hour drive on a friday and both ways will be in rush hour traffic. can't drink, can't bring my spouse because it's on a workday

i'd tell them to get hosed but i already told them to get hosed on coming in to the office once a month so blowing this off is probably pushing it

i need a really great ironic roaring 20's costume that stupid people won't understand to wear to it, any suggestions?

WW1 era German corporal's uniform.

Carry a fake Austrian passport.

Moustache optional, might be a bit too on the nose.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I. M. Gei posted:

Are mandatory office Christmas parties a thing anywhere else?

I just started a new job about a month and a half ago and they're doing an office Christmas party that my boss told me I'm basically soft-required to attend, because the company owner really wants the whole staff to be there. Only problem is it's at the main office, which is like a 4-hour drive from my house. Also I don't want to go.

Buy an air pump/battery jumper (everyone should have one anyway) and take a photo of your car straddling a curb with deflated tires.

My office party is mandatory because the staff will revolt if I don't take them out for dinner and (many) drinks. Also, I've been informed from up top that they don't care if we go into deficit; the staff must get their bonuses! My hellworld is a confusing bizarro hellworld.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Outrail posted:

My office party is mandatory because the staff will revolt if I don't take them out for dinner and (many) drinks. Also, I've been informed from up top that they don't care if we go into deficit; the staff must get their bonuses! My hellworld is a confusing bizarro hellworld.

It's afraid!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Japanese companies have hella mandatory year end company parties so yeah, its not just a US thing.

At least unlike American ones the "get shitfaced with coworkers" mentality remains strong, so the party crumbles to pieces near instantly and you can escape easily instead of the increasingly dry and judgement casting American ones.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

Japanese companies have hella mandatory year end company parties so yeah, its not just a US thing.

At least unlike American ones the "get shitfaced with coworkers" mentality remains strong, so the party crumbles to pieces near instantly and you can escape easily instead of the increasingly dry and judgement casting American ones.

It still cracks me up that they put having trains in Tokyo run 24 hours to a vote and people voted against it because it's a convenient excuse for ducking out of work parties.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Escape From Noise posted:

It still cracks me up that they put having trains in Tokyo run 24 hours to a vote and people voted against it because it's a convenient excuse for ducking out of work parties.

Ten years ago I'd have voted for it for the exact opposite reason.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bondematt posted:

Tell them they need to pay for travel & a hotel room since they are requiring you to travel for work.

That tends to get them to backoff pretty quick.

They already paid for travel and hotel for a whole week when I started there and they reimburse me for gas, sooo...

Outrail posted:

Buy an air pump/battery jumper (everyone should have one anyway) and take a photo of your car straddling a curb with deflated tires.

Unfortunately my job performance up to now has been kinda poo poo, so I don't really think I have the option of getting out of this thing.

* ... assuming I'm not already fired by then; my numbers have been especially poo poo the last couple of days with the holidays going on (I work in sales) and bossman just texted he wants to have a conversation tomorrow morning about how today went after I gave him my sales figures for today and the day before. Hope I'm not shitcanned! :v:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

What do you sell?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Nothing like a full staff meeting first thing in the morning, to announce “We don’t know any more than what was on the news, but we do know he’s currently in custody.”

(Co-worker hit a fireman with his car, killing him. He then ran away. I always knew he was a stupid gently caress, but I didn’t think he was as stupid as that.)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

COPE 27 posted:

What do you sell?

Landscaping services, basically.

It's a bit more specific than that, but I'm trying not to doxx myself.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 22, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I. M. Gei posted:

Landscaping services, basically.

It's a bit more specific than that, but I'm trying not to doxx myself.

Don't tell us but I really want to know what kind of specialized landscaping services could possibly dox you. Lethal plants for mad scientist's evil islands or something?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's basically tree trimming/removal, if I remember correctly how you described it earlier in this thread.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

Don't tell us but I really want to know what kind of specialized landscaping services could possibly dox you. Lethal plants for mad scientist's evil islands or something?

Forums Member I. M. Gei is THE preeminent provider of goat grazing alternative lawn mowing services in the entire tri-state area.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i was an arborist for a while, we truly are the special forces of landscaping

i wouldn't want the friends of all those trees i killed to find me

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

It's basically tree trimming/removal, if I remember correctly how you described it earlier in this thread.

Pretty much.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

boar guy posted:

i need a really great ironic roaring 20's costume that stupid people won't understand to wear to it, any suggestions?

Prohibition era gangster with a Tommy gun in a violin case. When somebody asks, explain at length how well maintained it is and that they can get a demonstration if they want, because the magazine is full.

E: oh sorry, you wrote ironic, not iconic

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

TheSpartacus posted:

I do actually wonder how CO2 it would take to displace enough, if two tanks would actually do it.

I've done calculations as part of risk assessments when setting up a large liquid argon tank, and the risk to the lab was low, it would lower the o2 level to about ~20% (assuming it spread out over the lab). The real risk is that argon pools... so the lab would be fine with the alarm not sounding while the floor below would all be dead with no alarm.

When installing the alarm system, I paid for this super nice mining grade system that alarmed with a horn and lights. When it was installed a lady confronted me and asked if it had a flashing light, telling me she had epilepsy and she couldn't believe it and was upset that I didn't consider her disability.... I guess she doesn't think deaf people are a thing? Told her that if it sounds, it means there's less than 18% oxygen and to loving book it.

This is from way back in the beforetimes (Sep 25, 2022), but as someone who has photo-sensitive epilepsy, I can tell you that the lady was upset because the lights flashing would like paralyze her or completely wipe out her cognitive capabilities.
She very likely expressed this in a completely useless way, because...well that's just the standard of how epileptics deal with communicating this to others.
But yeah, those lights flashing can easily mean that she is going to be incapacitated when the alarm starts and it might be in a way that is not immediately obvious to anyone nearby (who will have other, alarm related things to worry about).

Anyways, back to reading my way through the thread, sorry if this was already addressed in the meantime.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

SerthVarnee posted:

This is from way back in the beforetimes (Sep 25, 2022), but as someone who has photo-sensitive epilepsy, I can tell you that the lady was upset because the lights flashing would like paralyze her or completely wipe out her cognitive capabilities.
She very likely expressed this in a completely useless way, because...well that's just the standard of how epileptics deal with communicating this to others.
But yeah, those lights flashing can easily mean that she is going to be incapacitated when the alarm starts and it might be in a way that is not immediately obvious to anyone nearby (who will have other, alarm related things to worry about).

Anyways, back to reading my way through the thread, sorry if this was already addressed in the meantime.

What would the best mitigation have been? It was necessary to have both sound and light indication because of the seriousness of oxygen deficient environments.

After the concerns were brought up, I did give them the frequency it flashed at so that they could consult with their doctor. In hindsight, I'd want to have the conversation before install so that they felt heard/comfortable.

Anyway, corporate then installed a sample buzzer right next to the oxygen meter, so it scared the poo poo out of everyone for months whenever they heard the buzzer and had to look to see if it was the sample buzzer or the oxygen meter.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Good, maybe he can help the owner pull the stick out of his rear end about a stupid "mandatory work party"

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

TheSpartacus posted:

What would the best mitigation have been? It was necessary to have both sound and light indication because of the seriousness of oxygen deficient environments.

After the concerns were brought up, I did give them the frequency it flashed at so that they could consult with their doctor. In hindsight, I'd want to have the conversation before install so that they felt heard/comfortable.

Anyway, corporate then installed a sample buzzer right next to the oxygen meter, so it scared the poo poo out of everyone for months whenever they heard the buzzer and had to look to see if it was the sample buzzer or the oxygen meter.

Move that person's workstation is probably the simplest option, next up switch the light to just a constant aggressive purple light or similar "doom has come to this realm" lighting that avoids the blinking while still getting the point across. Third option would be to have the warning light be a very slow but still attention-grabbingly dominating color. After that we get into silly stuff like angling the lighting so that person's workstation is not directly impacted and their exit path is also not directly impacted (walk in the green zone, don't step into the zones of disco), but this can still easily end up loving her over if she just glances down the wrong hallway. Then you got offensive and demeaning stuff like having her wear a combination of blinders and indoor sunglasses, which probably also won't be effective.

Doctors also only really care about the all out "lying on the ground unconscious, doing the involuntary breakdancing" type of seizures, but there are around 40 different types of general seizures, and the vast majority of those don't send you to the hospital, so doctors frequently assume you are faking it for attention or a day off (trust me, they're not. That poo poo suuuuucks.)
Out of curiosity, what was the next step going to be after the doctor had been consulted? massive accommodations based on his input, expecting him to either tell her to suck it up or quit, taking the extra time during her consulting the doctor to remedy the situation without her going to management? I'm not sure what her going to the doctor is supposed to achieve here.

E: it just dawned on me that the last paragraph probably came off a lot more aggressive than intended. In case I've given off a different vibe, I'd just like to state that everything here is being said or asked in good faith, and assuming you are trying to make the best of an awkward situation while keeping everyone safe and alive.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 22, 2022

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

TheSpartacus posted:

NFPA fire alarm code should have specifications for strobes that are compatible with ADA for epilepsy. There is a frequency requirement and a synchronization requirement between separate alarms. It's been a long time since I've had to deal with anything like that so I have no idea what the actual requirements are. I'd hope the low oxygen alarm anufacturer would have taken them into consideration.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Rules about photo-sensitive epilepsy are written with the Tonic-Clonic seizures in mind exclusively.
100% code compliant equipment can still leave a person sitting around like a drooling zombie with a migraine borne from a jar of hangover concentrate.
I know this because of...well lived experience as recently as last month.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

We got bought it by some investment firm, announced by the boss in a big all-hands speech. Also they announced a big presentation to explain things to us... that starts at 5pm tomorrow. I'm not real excited about that, I'm gonna miss dinner.

It's probably going to be a lot of words saying 'nothing will change' but I'm going to polish up my LinkedIn to be safe.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

SerthVarnee posted:

In case you are wondering why people with epilepsy tend to be freaking the gently caress out as their first reaction to any issue that affects them, this image (courtesy of another person with epilepsy on twitter) gives a very accurate look into the poo poo going on in their head:

https://twitter.com/BrightMBwalya/status/1595019465053569024

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

The fire code calls for strobes to be blinking at 1 hz. They are to be point light sources and not defuse and you are not supposed to have more than one that may appear in someone's line of vision. Those rules were updated in 2016 and older systems would have been grandfathered in. From 1996 to 2016 different speeds and random blinking were allowed, also they were more defuse. These can cause problems for people with photosensitive epilepsy without causing traditional image of a seizure. Updating them is a good idea. Circa 1990 to 1996 strobes need to be replaced because they can cause seizures along with a host of other problems.

This is an area where I would expect further code changes in the future. Introducing things that can impair people's ability to get to safety goes against the spirit of the code. Unfortunately sounders alone present a potential danger for the deaf.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well now I have a whole new brand of idiot poo poo to deal with at work.

Apparently my company's owner has been unhappy with the number of service orders and estimates being submitted by his salespeople (like me) each day, and so effective immediately, he has decided that those of us who don't submit at least 4 of these things per day won't get paid at all for that week of work.

Note that when I took this job I was told by the company that I'd be making a certain base salary with weekly pay. If my understanding of this new policy is correct, then I basically won't get paid the salary I was promised any time I fail to meet that minimum daily quota.

This smells a few different kinds of illegal and seems like it'll lead to a whole shitload of salespeople doing all kinds of dubious poo poo like submitting bogus estimates for people that don't exist, but I'm not a big smart brain genius company owner so what do I know?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

You should probably contact some kind of employment lawyer, I feel like that's something where it would be a slam dunk in your favour

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Johnny Truant posted:

You should probably contact some kind of employment lawyer, I feel like that's something where it would be a slam dunk in your favour

First he should fail to meet this quota, have boss not pay. Makes it all more damning to the judge.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Johnny Truant posted:

I should probably also mention I'm in Texas, in case that matters.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, if you miss target on Monday I don't see why you would attempt to sell anything for the rest of the week.

Not sure how he thinks this will improve sales.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Slayerjerman posted:

First he should fail to meet this quota, have boss not pay. Makes it all more damning to the judge.

:hmmyes:

I. M. Gei posted:

I should probably also mention I'm in Texas, in case that matters.

I know little more than watching a bunch of Law and Order with my moms back in the day about law, so idk

Regardless def hit up an employment lawyer, document everything, get other people to do the same

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I. M. Gei posted:

Well now I have a whole new brand of idiot poo poo to deal with at work.

Apparently my company's owner has been unhappy with the number of service orders and estimates being submitted by his salespeople (like me) each day, and so effective immediately, he has decided that those of us who don't submit at least 4 of these things per day won't get paid at all for that week of work.

Note that when I took this job I was told by the company that I'd be making a certain base salary with weekly pay. If my understanding of this new policy is correct, then I basically won't get paid the salary I was promised any time I fail to meet that minimum daily quota.

This smells a few different kinds of illegal and seems like it'll lead to a whole shitload of salespeople doing all kinds of dubious poo poo like submitting bogus estimates for people that don't exist, but I'm not a big smart brain genius company owner so what do I know?

If they want to play stupid games let them win stupid prises. If it's based on # of service orders, tell your customers youl give them a 10% discount if they break their order into two/three/a dozen parts.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Sywert of Thieves posted:

It's probably going to be a lot of words saying 'nothing will change' but I'm going to polish up my LinkedIn to be safe.

Investment firms only buy things to make money. Making life bad and firing staff is how they do that.

Update the resume and prepare to abandon ship.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

this motherfucker resigned, then managed to convince his replacement to quit same day as him

now i’m having to do everything he said he’d done months ago

what a prick

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

VileLL posted:

this motherfucker resigned, then managed to convince his replacement to quit same day as him

now i’m having to do everything he said he’d done months ago

what a prick

Make it the next guys problem, keep that resignation chain rolling!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Buttchocks posted:

Very inspiring memo at work recently:

"Just a reminder that political contributions on behalf of the company need to be pre-approved by the political contribution committee. Also, if you expense a golf outing, you need to list all participants. Also, there have been concerns about recent changes to our travel policies, but we want to assure you that hiring a limousine is still permitted with prior approval."

I have no idea who this is for, but apparently somebody's job is to wine and dine government officials. And apparently we have an entire committee for this. You would think HR would have the sense to not send memos like this to the entire company, considering this only applies to a very select number of employees, none of whom exist in the same universe where our worksites are. I'm genuinely curious how much money this company is pissing away on bribes while our benefits get worse every year. Is there some agency that publishes reports on this, or is it all dark money?

From a few days ago, but everyone at my company who is full time has to take anti bribery training. It is very important that we know that if we're inviting the king of Turduckova for a meeting, we must use the team that handles these kinds of issues, to deal with bribing him paying first class for his airfare or whatever. We also should not have it at a strip club, and we definitely should not pay for him to get infinity lap dances. Naturally, as a non customer facing engineer, this is very important for me, and has nothing to do with just being a cheap liability shield to hide behind.

Comstar posted:

Investment firms only buy things to make money. Making life bad and firing staff is how they do that.

Update the resume and prepare to abandon ship.

This. Buying a stake is one thing, taking the company over is going to involve gutting it to squeeze every penny out.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Johnny Truant posted:

I know little more than watching a bunch of Law and Order with my moms back in the day about law, so idk

Regardless def hit up an employment lawyer, document everything, get other people to do the same

Regarding the "document everything" part, how do I record phone calls on an iPhone? Is there an app I should use, or is there some other way to do it?**

So far I've only been told about this new policy by my boss over the phone. I haven't gotten an email about it or anything. I do phone meetings with my boss regularly throughout the week and I'm supposed to do my next one tomorrow morning, so it'd be good if I can get him to say something about this on tape then.

** Yes, I've tried googling this before. No, it didn't help me. That's why I'm asking here.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Fuckin hell. I feel like death warmed over! At least today I'm brewing a Vienna lager, so that's relatively simple. Colder weather also means colder tapwater, which makes the heat exchanger run a lot more smoothly. Listening to Christian Death as I recirc. All I gotta do is clean up tomorrow and I'm gonna take Friday off. So...tired...