Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Doesn't mean it is over.

But, it means there will be a month or two delay (if they win) and is definitely not a great sign.
Was reading that republicans taking the House means forgiveness can be harder, for a number of reasons. Is there any feasible way for a R led House to gum things up more?

Framboise posted:

Whether the 10-20k forgiveness happens or not, whatever. If the IDR thing coming next year trivializes or completely nullifies loan payments for 10 years and then it's gone, then that's what I'll do. God knows I don't make enough to be paying a whole lot under that plan.
What are the IDR changes that are coming? Wonder if I should switch up my repayment plan. Can’t seem to find it via google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Framboise posted:

Whether the 10-20k forgiveness happens or not, whatever. If the IDR thing coming next year trivializes or completely nullifies loan payments for 10 years and then it's gone, then that's what I'll do. God knows I don't make enough to be paying a whole lot under that plan.

Yeah, the loan forgiveness would not have really dropped my monthly payment much, if at all.

I'm pissed off for everyone else.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Jaxyon posted:

Also the votes

That’s exactly what I said.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ozmunkeh posted:

That’s exactly what I said.

Perhaps I missed it?

This is exactly what you said:

ozmunkeh posted:

They’ve had the ability to do a lot of things for a very long time. What they lack is the will or the motivation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

buglord posted:

Was reading that republicans taking the House means forgiveness can be harder, for a number of reasons. Is there any feasible way for a R led House to gum things up more?

In theory yes because without control of the House, Democrats can't pass loan forgiveness into law if the Supreme Court rules against Biden's argument that he has the authority under existing law.
In practice no, because Democrats weren't going to pass a loan forgiveness law anyway or they would have done it already.

Pretty good politicking from Democrats honestly. Announce loan forgiveness, do it in a way that's vulnerable to activist judicial action instead of just passing the law, then let all the blame fall on Republicans as everyone forgets that Dems controlled congress for 2 years and could have passed a law at any time.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Jaxyon posted:

Perhaps I missed it?

Yes. They’ve had the ability but not the will or the desire. Not sure what’s confusing you here.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Framboise posted:

What if the 10K Forgiveness was the Bailey for the IDR/Loan Servicing restructure Motte?

VitalSigns posted:

Dems controlled congress for 2 years and could have passed a law at any time.
Manchin and Sinema just got raging cash boners

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ozmunkeh posted:

Yes. They’ve had the ability but not the will or the desire. Not sure what’s confusing you here.

It's been a canard at least since the Obama years that "not having the votes" is some kind of external limitation that's physically impossible to overcome, and not equivalent to "they just didn't want to".

Like if someone asked you for help and you shrug and say "I wish I could but the will just isn't there" this is somehow different than saying "no I don't want to help you" and it becomes unreasonable for the other person to blame you for your inaction, in fact they ought to sympathize with you.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

FilthyImp posted:

What if the 10K Forgiveness was the Bailey for the IDR/Loan Servicing restructure Motte?

I understood some of those words and now I have learned a thing.

I mean, it's entirely possible.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ozmunkeh posted:

The part that's confusing me is where you said "that's exactly what I said" and then it wasn't exactly what you said.

If you said "that's the gist of what I said", that would be different. But you said "exactly".

VitalSigns posted:

It's been a canard at least since the Obama years that "not having the votes" is some kind of external limitation that's physically impossible to overcome, and not equivalent to "they just didn't want to".

Like if someone asked you for help and you shrug and say "I wish I could but the will just isn't there" this is somehow different than saying "no I don't want to help you" and it becomes unreasonable for the other person to blame you for your inaction, in fact they ought to sympathize with you.

It's not physically impossible to overcome. You either replace the "no" votes or elect more "yes votes".

If you want to say "they", ie the entire Democratic caucus, as a whole, "didn't want to", then you can go ahead and prove that. I don't think that's true. I suspect what you mean is something more like "the leadership and/or many more votes than Manchin/Sinema" don't want to, in which case why don't you say that?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

It's not physically impossible to overcome. You either replace the "no" votes or elect more "yes votes".

You don't even need to do that, the ones there already could choose to vote "yes", they've still got two more months.

But yes I am well aware that from a deterministic standpoint anything I don't want to do is also physically impossible for me to do because my brain is a physical object that obeys physical laws and there is no magic force I can use to make the chemical reactions which determine my will unfold differently from how they do etc, that's why I was able to describe the canard.

Most people don't describe decisionmaking in this way which is why I helpfully chimed in to explain the miscommunication.

Jaxyon posted:

If you want to say "they", ie the entire Democratic caucus, as a whole, "didn't want to", then you can go ahead and prove that. I don't think that's true. I suspect what you mean is something more like "the leadership and/or many more votes than Manchin/Sinema" don't want to, in which case why don't you say that?

This just seems like a semantic quibble, like complaining that someone says Republicans oppose gay marriage even though hashtag not ALL Republicans, but sure whatever enough of the caucus and/or leadership didn't want to pass student loan forgiveness therefore it didn't happen.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 15, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

You don't even need to do that, the ones there already could choose to vote "yes", they've still got two more months.

But yes I am well aware that from a deterministic standpoint anything I don't want to do is also physically impossible for me to do because my brain is a physical object that obeys physical laws and there is no magic force I can use to make the chemical reactions which determine my will unfold differently from how they do etc, that's why I was able to describe the canard.

Most people don't describe decisionmaking in this way which is why I helpfully chimed in to explain the miscommunication.

I mean if they could but they seem like firm no's so the options I talk about come into play, not sure why you are talking about magic or biochemical reactions and whatnot.

quote:

This just seems like a semantic quibble, like complaining that someone says Republicans oppose gay marriage even though hashtag not ALL Republicans, but sure whatever enough of the caucus and/or leadership didn't want to pass student loan forgiveness therefore it didn't happen.

I mean whether or not ALL republicans oppose a thing, or just most, or just a few, is a relavant thing in a congressional system, just as it is for Democrats.

If only a few votes are the difference, that's a lot less of a problem than if a larger portion of Democrats oppose a thing. How many votes oppose a thing isn't semantics, it's literally how politics works.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
If the 10k ends up truly being dead they'd better put off the end of forbearance more

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

While I think there's some merit about discussing why the Dems won't go the legislative route for this (hint: they're bad) I think it misses the crux of the issue: it doesn't matter which way they go about it. The GOP will sue regardless and some judge somewhere will find merit and put an injunction and stop it for months if not outright. Each side is playing with a completely separate of rules and for the republicans it's simply "sue until a judge gives us what we want".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
It's always easier to obstruct a thing than do a thing, especially when you can shop around whatever insane chudge you got Trump to install.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

I mean if they could but they seem like firm no's so the options I talk about come into play, not sure why you are talking about magic or biochemical reactions and whatnot.

Because someone said they didn't want to and you corrected them and said they didn't have enough votes as if those were different things, I was just explaining why some people treat not wanting to and not voting to do something as though they were different because it tends to be confusing the first time someone encounters it.

Jaxyon posted:

I mean whether or not ALL republicans oppose a thing, or just most, or just a few, is a relavant thing in a congressional system, just as it is for Democrats.

If only a few votes are the difference, that's a lot less of a problem than if a larger portion of Democrats oppose a thing. How many votes oppose a thing isn't semantics, it's literally how politics works.
Well true enough I suppose, depending on context. If we were congressional whips strategizing over how to get enough votes, divining who the holdouts are would be very important.

But we're not, so it isn't. And we don't have that information anyway even if it were useful in this conversation.

And normally we don't get these semantic objections, so it seems rather silly. Like can we not say "the GOP wants to ban abortion" because Susan Collins exists. Of course not.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Because someone said they didn't want to and you corrected them and said they didn't have enough votes as if those were different things, I was just explaining why some people treat not wanting to and not voting to do something as though they were different because it tends to be confusing the first time someone encounters it.

One statement was that "democrats" wanted a thing, my correct. One asserts a quasi-hivemind in order to make assertions, the other accurately describes reality.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

One statement was that "democrats" wanted a thing, my correct. One asserts a quasi-hivemind in order to make assertions, the other accurately describes reality.

Nobody asserted a quasi-hivemind.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Nobody asserted a quasi-hivemind.

I'm open to other interpretations of how "the democrats don't want a thing" is not that, as opposed to talk about how they don't have the votes?

Are we saying they don't have the votes because they don't want a thing, or that they don't have the votes and can't pass a thing?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

I'm open to other interpretations of how "the democrats don't want a thing" is not that

Because it just isn't that's not how the language works. Talking about the goals of an organization does not mean its members are a hivemind. A quick search shows you use the same construction (bolding mine):

Jaxyon posted:

Democrats would have to actually do something, which is much harder at the national level. They don't want to, but if they did it would be harder than what the republicans do.

So we can conclude either (1) you believe "Democrats" are a quasi-hivemind since you said [the Democrats] don't want a thing or (2) this semantic argument is stupid

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Because it just isn't that's not how the language works. Talking about the goals of an organization does not mean its members are a hivemind. A quick search shows you use the same construction (bolding mine):

So we can conclude either (1) you believe "Democrats" are a quasi-hivemind or (2) this semantic argument is stupid

I think I make the same mistakes of lazy thinking that others do.

I can be honest about that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh ok so you did always understand nobody was asserting anything about a hivemind

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Oh ok so you did always understand nobody was asserting anything about a hivemind

No I think that both I and the other person were.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Well, I got an E-mail last night explicitly saying my application was approved and that "if and when" the challenges get resolved, I'd get the chop taken off my debt. I guess this be damage control to make sure the blame is pointed squarely at the courts and plaintiffs?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Got the same email, so did my brother.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I have not seen any such email, will have to ask the wife who similarly applied.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
They're coming in batches, I think. I just got mine this morning.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Eason the Fifth posted:

They're coming in batches, I think. I just got mine this morning.

Yeah I got one this morning and my wife got hers on Friday.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Plotac 75 posted:

Well, I got an E-mail last night explicitly saying my application was approved and that "if and when" the challenges get resolved, I'd get the chop taken off my debt. I guess this be damage control to make sure the blame is pointed squarely at the courts and plaintiffs?

Yes, hopefully they send the notice once a month or so.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The forgiveness is a drop in the bucket for me (Thanks, PSLF!) but I really could use the lower cap on my discretionary income for payments. Did the whole package get shut down?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Beerdeer posted:

The forgiveness is a drop in the bucket for me (Thanks, PSLF!) but I really could use the lower cap on my discretionary income for payments. Did the whole package get shut down?

Just the debt forgiveness is at dispute in the lawsuits.

No impact on IDR yet.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man, I applied for consolidation back in August. I just called Aidvantage and it's still in the pipeline. Good grief.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Just the debt forgiveness is at dispute in the lawsuits.

No impact on IDR yet.

Just to be clear, does this mean that interest being frozen and the payments being cut down hard depending on income is unaffected? That was one of the biggest surprise gets from this package.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Circutron posted:

Just to be clear, does this mean that interest being frozen and the payments being cut down hard depending on income is unaffected? That was one of the biggest surprise gets from this package.

Yes. As of right now, the IDR is not being challenged.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Circutron posted:

Also if worst comes to worst and we have to pay this all back, is there a summary on what IDR changes are? I ignored that initially because I was so focused on the forgiveness cancelling my remaining 15k. Should I go onto Nelnet and change my repayment from graduated-repayment (increases over time) to IDR?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

buglord posted:

Also if worst comes to worst and we have to pay this all back, is there a summary on what IDR changes are? I ignored that initially because I was so focused on the forgiveness cancelling my remaining 15k. Should I go onto Nelnet and change my repayment from graduated-repayment (increases over time) to IDR?

They are in the OP:

quote:

For undergraduate loans, cut in half the amount that borrowers have to pay each month from 10% to 5% of discretionary income.

Raise the amount of income that is considered non-discretionary income and therefore is protected from repayment, guaranteeing that no borrower earning under 225% of the federal poverty level—about the annual equivalent of a $15 minimum wage for a single borrower—will have to make a monthly payment.

Forgive loan balances after 10 years of payments, instead of 20 years, for borrowers with original loan balances of $12,000 or less. The Department of Education estimates that this reform will allow nearly all community college borrowers to be debt-free within 10 years.

Cover the borrower’s unpaid monthly interest, so that unlike other existing income-driven repayment plans, no borrower’s loan balance will grow as long as they make their monthly payments—even when that monthly payment is $0 because their income is low.

These reforms would simplify loan repayment and deliver significant savings to low- and middle-income borrowers. For example:

A typical single construction worker (making $38,000 a year) with a construction management credential would pay only $31 a month, compared to the $147 they pay now under the most recent income-driven repayment plan, for annual savings of nearly $1,400.

A typical single public school teacher with an undergraduate degree (making $44,000 a year) would pay only $56 a month on their loans, compared to the $197 they pay now under the most recent income-driven repayment plan, for annual savings of nearly $1,700.

A typical nurse (making $77,000 a year) who is married with two kids would pay only $61 a month on their undergraduate loans, compared to the $295 they pay now under the most recent income-driven repayment plan, for annual savings of more than $2,800.

For each of these borrowers, their balances would not grow as long as they are making their monthly payments, and their remaining debt would be forgiven after they make the required number of qualifying payments.

Further, the Department of Education will make it easier for borrowers who enroll in this new plan to stay enrolled. Starting in the summer of 2023, borrowers will be able to allow the Department of Education to automatically pull their income information year after year, avoiding the hassle of needing to recertify their income annually.

Edit:

buglord posted:

Should I go onto Nelnet and change my repayment from graduated-repayment (increases over time) to IDR?

Not available until June 2023. Anyone with a federally backed loan can convert their existing loan to IDR.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 22, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Excellent. Must have missed that in the OP. good to know I can opt-in in June. Thank for the info as always Leon.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Yes. As of right now, the IDR is not being challenged.

Thanks for the response and the info!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Also of note, there are some rumblings of possibly extending the repayment freeze further past 12/31/22 while the $10K/$20K forgiveness is in legal limbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I woke up this morning to an email from Mohela telling me I have 126 payments under the waiver. So I have qualified for PSLF and am filing that poo poo RIGHT NOW.