Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If they added maybe 3 more weapons to each class and spread them out between the early levels i'd be much happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, spread some flavor around. An early hand flamer for the Zealot, a force axe for the Psyker, maybe a single Stubber or just the shield for Ogryn. You shouldn't have to put ten or fifteen hours into a class to stop being a lovely veteran.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I don't really get what advantages the stage/mission rotation system offers to the player right now. They offer a subsection of the total missions in the game with modifiers and stuff, so like right now I just logged on and there were like 10 missions available but those 10 were made up of 4 actual missions the assassinate the guy at the train station one, the assassinate the guy in the enforcer base one, the ammo one and the scanning plague samples one with modifiers, side objectives and difficulty varying among them.

Now I know it is a beta so all the missions aren't in right now, they were supposed to be adding more in an update yesterday but poo poo happens, fair enough. However there are more missions than the ones I mentioned above in the beta right now, the water treatment plant one, for example, that just isn't showing up right now and wasn't yesterday either. So is that how it's gonna be in the full release? Sometimes a mission just won't be available to play for multiple days? Or is that purely a beta thing and when it comes out, all the missions will be in the rotation all the time?

Either way, even if all of them are potentially available to show up, I don't see why that's better than just letting me select a mission and a submission and modifiers myself?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i just hit level 11 which seems like a big one in terms of getting more weapons?

also i honestly just love the flashlight

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The water treatment one got removed due to excess crashing apparently.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Alchenar posted:

I'm starting to believe the bars are only comparable between the same weapon type and that actually the axis between different weapons bars have completely different starting points

possibly even weapons of different power levels also.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CODChimera posted:

i just hit level 11 which seems like a big one in terms of getting more weapons?

also i honestly just love the flashlight

The lasgun rules I don't need to replace it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

They plan on putting more missions into rotation as the release approaches, with all of them being permanently in rotation when the game launches. Doing it in stages lets them stress test them. Apparently there's a flaw in the water mission, as stated before.

I suspect that's why we're seeing so many of the slugs, they've turned the occurrence rate way up compared to the Plague Ogryn.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The Bolter rules but i do think the humble lasgun is really great. I hope we can get a hellgun at some point and really start cooking these freaks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pigbottom posted:

possibly even weapons of different power levels also.

CM confirmed that the amount of power a weapon has is how much bar it has to allocate to all of its bars. Higher power means weapons will just inherently be better but they might not output in the bars you want.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
OK so that's kind of suggesting the two weapons worth keeping are Oranges with perfectly rolled gear score. The other would be any Orange with a perfect set of traits and properties, assuming crafting lets us upgrade that to a Red.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of, got this in my daily store

Think it's worth picking up?

Melee damage against poxwalkers is a bit of a meme, and what exactly is a "Groaner"?

Edit: Also, on higher difficulties there are so many veterans lmao. I'd say you see about 3 vets for every 1 of the other classes.
Guessing it's because there's less people queueing there, so the matchmaker gives you what it can, instead of trying to make balanced teams.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 22, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jerkface posted:

The Bolter rules but i do think the humble lasgun is really great. I hope we can get a hellgun at some point and really start cooking these freaks.

Accatran VId....

Genuinely recommend everybody try the accatran while you cam because I feel like its not long for the world with its current stats.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Melee damage against poxwalkers is a bit of a meme, and what exactly is a "Groaner"?

My guess so far is that groaners are the not-green poxwalkers, the brown sorta looking ones that tend to spawn in corners and ones and twos.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Veteran probably has the biggest power spike by going to 30 since your ult goes from a 5 second duration to "Not until I'm done" duration.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

My guess so far is that groaners are the not-green poxwalkers, the brown sorta looking ones that tend to spawn in corners and ones and twos.

Do those do anything special? Don't think I've ever noticed something like that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Do those do anything special? Don't think I've ever noticed something like that.

Nah they're just slightly like, less far along poxwalkers I guess? They tend not to have the bone horns that poxwalkers do which can impede shittier weapon headshots, that's about it.

E:Lmao I did a mission with an Ogryn whose twin stubba had Lacerate so whenever he’d do the sweep with it it applied bleed. I suspect that kinda stuff could be hilariously abused but we’ll see what other traits there are.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 22, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the main thing I lose runs to on higher difficulties is a silent trapper or sniper spawning around a close corner and immediately attacking.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

750 meg patch is out. No patch notes I can see on Steam at any rate

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jerkface posted:

This

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

the barber/chirugeon is in. he won't swap you gender or even change your voice.

relatedly, I hope fatshark fixes the bug where characters with the savant voice mention having been an enforcer even if you chose a background that had nothing to do with being a cop

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Accatran VId....

Genuinely recommend everybody try the accatran while you cam because I feel like its not long for the world with its current stats.

That one of the recon lasguns?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Notes

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1361210/view/3485252139448456244

Bleed might not be haute trash now. Soulblaze probably still is.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't really get what advantages the stage/mission rotation system offers to the player right now. They offer a subsection of the total missions in the game with modifiers and stuff, so like right now I just logged on and there were like 10 missions available but those 10 were made up of 4 actual missions the assassinate the guy at the train station one, the assassinate the guy in the enforcer base one, the ammo one and the scanning plague samples one with modifiers, side objectives and difficulty varying among them.

I think it’s a mistake for them to split up mission options by difficulty. Most people are only going to be playing one preferred difficulty, eventually 2 difficulties once they feel confident/in a premade team for Heresy/Damnation. That means that for a given difficulty, there’s only going to be 4 (or less!) map options at any given time. If any of those maps have modifiers you want to avoid (like that god awful fog affix, JFC) the options shrink even further.

Basically I’m really not looking forward to doing two Quickplay games and frequently getting the same mission twice in a row. I’d rather they list 6+ maps, give half of those maps random modifiers, and allow you to choose any of the 5 difficulties once you select a particular map. It would funnel the population more effectively than the Vermintides while still giving each player more agency.

Separately, the automatic countdown on the Ready Up screen needs adjustment. 60 seconds is not always going to be enough time to fill, and I do not consent to playing Heresy difficulty with a level 6 pubbie who joins mid-map.

I really think the Ready countdown should only begin once all 4 players are in the lobby. Lower it to 30 seconds or whatever, but the current situation is going to mean people all wait at the chill beginning of a map until they have a viable lineup in-game. At that point it’s just a more limited extension of the lobby.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Orv posted:

Notes

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1361210/view/3485252139448456244

Bleed might not be haute trash now. Soulblaze probably still is.

Looks like they nerfed Zealot. As much as it pains me (since that's my highest lvl'd class) I get it.\

edit: also

quote:

Fixed an issue with the Armory where the stock may occasionally be refreshed prematurely before the timer should have elapsed.

lol can't have people being able to buy an interesting weapon too soon now, can we.

Orv
May 4, 2011
8 stacks of bleed is still pretty not great unfortunately. It'll shred hordes that are outside the immediate kill radius of the grenade at least.

https://i.imgur.com/9ceFVDm.mp4

Initial barber options;

CM said personality, height and gender aren't off the table but it's a huge pain in the rear end on the data end.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Wonder if they meant for that text in the top left of the screen to be visible 100% of the time now? Probably not.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I think the mission generation is to dodge a "problem" both VT1 and Payday 1 encountered where optimal grinding strategies were developed leading players to run a single map in a single way over and over. It lead to people finishing the grind without even learning how to play difficulty 3 and immediately checking out.

If you're very concerned about words like player engagement, player retention etc then it can look like a solution to you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Senethro posted:

I think the mission generation is to dodge a "problem" both VT1 and Payday 1 encountered where optimal grinding strategies were developed leading players to run a single map in a single way over and over. It lead to people finishing the grind without even learning how to play difficulty 3 and immediately checking out.

If you're very concerned about words like player engagement, player retention etc then it can look like a solution to you.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the water purification one got pulled because of this. It was by far the most optimal as far as time:exp goes and for a few days there if you joined the random queue you'd get it at least 75% of the time.

Now it's the prison assassinate one.

edit: note that this is different from the zealot radio station one, that's the one that got pulled for crashign.

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...
Having hit 30 on sharpshooter and mid levels on the others now, theres definitely some go to weapons that are just slam picks as soon as you get them unlocked. In my case it was the stub revolver then the combat shotgun then the bolter.

The stub revolver in particular is a low level mvp as theres almost no animation for pulling it out, letting it fulfill its role of being pulled to deal with a special mid melee perfectly. Similar for the shotgun having a suprisingly short animation.

For melee my route has been pretty much get a catachan sword asap since its light attack chain is 3x vanguard (45 degree sweep attack) and the heavy is relentless (harder horizontal sweep) for dealing with slightly heavier stuff. Its just good. Power sword is a straight upgrade from this. Ive not been a big fan of the weapons with mixed attack chains because i suck at cancelling.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the water purification one got pulled because of this. It was by far the most optimal as far as time:exp goes and for a few days there if you joined the random queue you'd get it at least 75% of the time.

gently caress me that's depressing and yeah probably the reason. Obviously not a fair complaint in the beta right now since the number of maps is limited anyway but personally what I want is when I play the game in the evening with my friends we can do 4 or 5 different missions in a session and then the next night we happen to play do some completely different ones. We don't care about optimal time to exp since levelling stops mattering once you hit 30 anyway, we just care about visual/mission variety in our limited time to play so having the schedule dictated to us is a bit off, or might seem so if it becomes an issue where our only options are limited.

Hopefully once all the missions are in the variety somewhat takes care of itself just by sheer happenstance, if there are 10 up all the time and they're rotating every 15 minutes-ish then that'll probably work out more often than not.

Just wish devs would have faith that the games they're making are fun enough on their own merits and don't need all this weird obfuscating and gamifying of the level selection/progression stuff. Then you see games getting dinged in reviews for not having good enough progression systems or for not having a "satisfying" enough grind whatever that means and you kinda get it I guess.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 22, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

That one of the recon lasguns?

The fuller auto variant. If you find the base iv its good too though.

The VId fires so fast you can get 3 lasgun beams visble in the same screenshot.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Aren't we supposed to get another map this week?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I mean we're playing a closed beta stress test and balance check essentially, the patch notes even have a section that literally states this.

The devs limiting map selection to stress test certain levels and identify maps with glaring issues to fix before removing them because no one can complete them due to crashing kinda feels par for the course.

Fingers crossed on launch the variety and stability of maps goes way up so that the beta wasn't done in vain.

On the content of the notes side, I'm interested in how Bleed stacking will do now that the various classes will interact together and hopefully make it effective. As an Ogryn messing around in the Meat Grinder pre-patch, your first bleed talent was incredibly underwhelming, and literally could not stack it's effects, just reset them. Now that it might actually stack with itself and also Vet+Zealot stuff, might be good for bigger targets.

Also lol at the Eviscerator being bugged to only do 50% damage before the patch regardless of stat rolls.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kaddish posted:

They've confused it a bit with differentiating "zones" and "missions" I think and then removing some due to whatever issues there are. When the pre order beta came out they said it had 4 "changing" missions in 4 zones, then yesterday there was supposed to be an update that added another 4 missions for "up to 8 changing missions in 4 zones". Then next week, on the 28th the schedule was up to 10 missions on 4 zones so presumably another 2 missions or they'd be enabling all of the missions thus far at once?

Then on release there is supposed to be the addition of the 5th zone the name of which they're keeping a mystery. The final number of missions at that point is supposed to be 13.

That's all from this, https://www.playdarktide.com/news/pre-order-beta-what-to-expect

Evil Kit posted:

I mean we're playing a closed beta stress test and balance check essentially, the patch notes even have a section that literally states this.

The devs limiting map selection to stress test certain levels and identify maps with glaring issues to fix before removing them because no one can complete them due to crashing kinda feels par for the course.

If that's in response to what I wrote, read it again? I'm saying it's fair enough for now cause yeah it's a beta but for release it'll still be annoying if we can't actively select our missions ourselves and have to rely on an arbitrary and changing schedule. In addition to that, even if it does work "fine" I still don't really see what it adds that a regular level select doesn't have?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 22, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kaddish posted:

I'd guess it's the beta weekend ones plus the 4 OG ones to the early access, but because so many have been pulled due to crashing it's hard to say. I'd guess we have fixed versions of the Radio tower, Water purification, all the previous maps, and maybe one more.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

The fuller auto variant. If you find the base iv its good too though.

The VId fires so fast you can get 3 lasgun beams visble in the same screenshot.

Can it handle flak armor ok? Vids Ive seen have it looking meh, so think Im getting the wrong impression.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, bleed is actually kinda busted with the Grenadier gauntlet and the bleed on heavy hit feat right now lol. Try it out in the meatgrinder.

Edit: Or maybe not that busted against smaller targets. It absolutely shreds Bastions and Reapers though.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 22, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Can it handle flak armor ok? Vids Ive seen have it looking meh, so think Im getting the wrong impression.

Shreds flak, bounces off of carapace, so you'll need your melee for the non gunner ogryn.

It lets you single handedly wipe entire waves of flak shooters, especially if any of them are bunched up because it has some punch through. Its full stop the most versatile lasgun in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Good poo poo, looking forward to trying that out then