Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think I need someone to tell me not to buy a Meteora right now, really need a break from buying guitars.

Instead I thought I'd do an overhaul of my old strat clone starter guitar. I was thinking replace the HSS pickups and maybe just replace all the electronics as one of the tone pots seems to have come loose from the scratch plate. Can anyone recommend a pickup set or should I just shop around?

My HSS strat has a Dimarzio Crunch lab in the bridge, area 67 middle and Injector neck. I really like it.

Bridge pickup is pretty hot, you still get that strat sound in the middle and middle/neck positions, the neck pickup by its self is real fat sounding, like a full sized PAF style humbucker. It's a good pairing.

Also couldn't go wrong with a Duncan JB and a mini 59 in the neck and whatever you want in the middle.

edit: unrelated but the stupid deal of the day right now is legit for 300 bucks: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-placentia-series-asat-electric-guitar/l88881000001000

I got a G&L strat awhile back for the same price and it is awesome.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like that there's no specs available, except someone at musician's friend answered by giving specs from something that's not the same guitar. Someone else asked what the specs are and the verified response is "sorry, the manufacturer made this especially for us, so we don't have that information."

My friend, if they made it to your specifications you should know what they are.

Also... "placentia?"

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Yeah that name is weird af. But the strat style G&L I got is awesome for the price.

Musician's Friend's website has gone downhill a lot. It seems really half assed these days. Lots of stuff like that with missing info or wrong pictures etc. They still are fine to order from as far I can tell, I haven't had any issues. I still check the stupid deal of the day every day. Once in awhile they have something really nice(like today).

They really need to step it up. Sites like Sweetwater are way better with pictures of everything, listed weights, etc.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 22, 2022

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Malaria posted:

My HSS strat has a Dimarzio Crunch lab in the bridge, area 67 middle and Injector neck. I really like it.

Bridge pickup is pretty hot, you still get that strat sound in the middle and middle/neck positions, the neck pickup by its self is real fat sounding, like a full sized PAF style humbucker. It's a good pairing.

Also couldn't go wrong with a Duncan JB and a mini 59 in the neck and whatever you want in the middle.

edit: unrelated but the stupid deal of the day right now is legit for 300 bucks: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-placentia-series-asat-electric-guitar/l88881000001000

I got a G&L strat awhile back for the same price and it is awesome.

Thanks, will have a look around. Do strat clones generally accept the genericized pickguards that you can get? Just eyeballing the shape and screw placement seems the same, but I guess it's just a gamble unless I send my current plate away to someone?

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
A little off topic, but anyone got suggestions for replacement Strat necks (bonus if they have bass as well). I put together a parts caster and the neck didn’t cost much for a reason. I just don’t want to pay $300 for a neck of I can avoid it. I also have an SX pj bass that has a warped neck but can’t justify several hundred dollars to fix a $150 bass.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

guitarfetish

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Thanks, will have a look around. Do strat clones generally accept the genericized pickguards that you can get? Just eyeballing the shape and screw placement seems the same, but I guess it's just a gamble unless I send my current plate away to someone?

They might mostly fit but the screw holes could be off not a big deal to fill in the holes with toothpicks and glue and drill new ones.
The other thing to watch out for is around the neck pocket and bridge might need shaved down depending on the alignment.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

stoopidmunkey posted:

A little off topic, but anyone got suggestions for replacement Strat necks (bonus if they have bass as well). I put together a parts caster and the neck didn’t cost much for a reason. I just don’t want to pay $300 for a neck of I can avoid it. I also have an SX pj bass that has a warped neck but can’t justify several hundred dollars to fix a $150 bass.

https://stratosphereparts.com

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

havelock posted:

Wow. Full price of $199 is not that much higher than the 2 neural dsp archetypes I was considering. Does anyone have experience with both?
EDIT: actually I guess it's more like 3-4 neural plugins. internet consensus seems to be neural is easier to dial in quickly but that both are capable. more effects in helix.

For what its worth, I found the Line 6 helix interface to be really user friendly and easy to dial in good tones quickly, at least with the stomp. I haven't tried Helix Native but I assume its similar, just with more options. The Neural plug ins are set up like physical amp rigs, which is pretty nice.

Line 6 also has the Metallurgy series thats set up as stand alone, curated amp+cab+effects type deal which is currently on sale for $100 for all three packs. There's a lot more options for amps and cabs than with the Neural plug ins but its more of a stripped down version of the helix than the specifically crafted archetypes that Neural does. I tried the trial version and its cool but doesn't really do anything my stomp doesn't do better, but figured its worth mentioning as another option.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, the Native VST is the exact same interface as the editor, just with the ability to add as many effect blocks as your computer can handle. There's also a mode to limit effect blocks to those available on the Stomp, in case you want to design patches that work on both.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Is there a good way of telling whether buzzing frets is an action problem or a fret-wear issue? My Strat is old enough now that it can drink in any state, and although it wasn't heavily played for a long time, it did endure my previous attempts at learning and even some drop-d punk nonsense. I was definitely a heavy handed player while learning too.

I'm getting some buzz particularly around the third fret and I can see a lot of wear and flat spots. I wouldn't mind, but I can hear it through an amp in this case.

I like how it plays, so I'm loathe to tinker with it too much. Is it likely in need of a fret crown and polish?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Is there a good way of telling whether buzzing frets is an action problem or a fret-wear issue?

Buy a cheap feeler gauge and a string height gauge (a ruler works but the ~ $5 daddario gauges have all all the increments easily laid out), if it’s in spec then a lot of the guesswork is removed. The measurement taking is pretty easy and simple

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
If you can actively see marks or flat spots on the frets then it could do with some attention, particularly if the issue is only confined to one fret (low nut or action would likely affect larger areas of the board).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was thinking about buying the Boss Synthesizer https://www.boss.info/us/products/sy-1/ but first was wondering what you all thought? Any other alternatives that I should check out (maybe something cheaper :P), or a plug-in preferably for Logic Pro that might be similar? I don't think Boss has a VST version of this pedal.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I was thinking about buying the Boss Synthesizer https://www.boss.info/us/products/sy-1/ but first was wondering what you all thought? Any other alternatives that I should check out (maybe something cheaper :P), or a plug-in preferably for Logic Pro that might be similar? I don't think Boss has a VST version of this pedal.

A friend got me one of these for my birthday this year and I don’t really know what to do with it, but the tracking is really impressive - way better than any of the apps I’ve tried that do similar things. Has a ton of sounds, most of which don’t sound amazing with chords but maybe I’m just not using it right.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
A lot of synth pedals struggle with polyphonic stuff like chords, particularly anything more harmonically complex than a power chord.
Not just because of tracking (which has improved a lot in the last few years), but the closer way that guitar chords are often voiced can make things mushy quickly compared to multioctave chord voicings on a keyboard.

I've had a couple synth pedals, Boss SYB-5 and Digitech Bad Robot, and whilst they are kinda cool on their own I found the nuances rapidly get lost when anything other than drums is added.
Also worth bearing in mind that if your main dirty tone is your amp then a synth pedal will get utterly eaten by that, and also due to the way they work they need to be as close to the front of your chain as possible.
Don't get me wrong, some fun sounds can be had and they can be an absolute blast with an expression pedal, but I'm yet to find a synth pedal that breaches the expensive toy/actual synth divide.
A 2nd hand synth like one of the lower range Arturias or maybe a Behringer will get you much more if it's the actual synth sounds you want, rather than being another flavour of guitar.

If you want squelchy sounds then an autowah/autofilter like a Q-Tron or one of the Boss or Digitech autowahs would probably be a better spend.

Caveat-if you see someone selling a Digitech Space Station for a reasonable price then you should buy that poo poo IMMEDIATELY

Edit: lots of people dig these for weird "guitar but not" sounds

https://shop.ehx.com/category/guitar-effects-pedals-9-series/

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 22, 2022

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

800peepee51doodoo posted:

For what its worth, I found the Line 6 helix interface to be really user friendly and easy to dial in good tones quickly, at least with the stomp. I haven't tried Helix Native but I assume its similar, just with more options. The Neural plug ins are set up like physical amp rigs, which is pretty nice.

Line 6 also has the Metallurgy series thats set up as stand alone, curated amp+cab+effects type deal which is currently on sale for $100 for all three packs. There's a lot more options for amps and cabs than with the Neural plug ins but its more of a stripped down version of the helix than the specifically crafted archetypes that Neural does. I tried the trial version and its cool but doesn't really do anything my stomp doesn't do better, but figured its worth mentioning as another option.

It turns out helix native has a 15 day trial, too, so I downloaded it and played with it. It sounds nice and feels pretty responsive (and the UI is very straightforward), but my main issue is that there's too much. The presets and amps and effects all have cutesy names (which I get is for trademark reasons or whatever) but it's pretty hard to know what is what. It really needs tagging or a hierarchy or something (like Arturia does with pigments or even guitar rig does by style or amp or whatever). There are a ton of effects in there, including some nice pitch things, but I get the feeling there's tons of overlap there, too. I'd rather have one super adjustable delay than 10 delays (x2 since they have both mono and stereo) with largely overlapping features and sounds.

I think if I went with Native I'd open it up to fiddle with designing effects chains and sounds, rather than opening it up to play and be inspired. The neural stuff feels a little more immediate that way - the limitations become the strength.

I'm also likely going to be doing this inside bitwig, so with the exception of the pitch shifting stuff I think I can easily put most of the other stuff together with in built bitwig stuff if I need it.

I'll likely end up picking up Gojira and Cory Wong from Neural, so that means Neural ends up cheaper for me, too. (Bitwig has a nice Blur device that I can use with the easy Stereo input toggle in Neural to effectively add the Doubler to these two archetypes that don't ship with one like say Petrucci does).

I'm glad I tried all this stuff out - the space has really changed since I last checked in on it and there's lots of fun to be had.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Any of the xp series can be modded to have the sounds of the other ones if you happen to come across the blue reverb one or the whammy/wah for cheap and want the space station sounds.

WEEDSMOKER
Nov 18, 2022

by Hand Knit

I had this Looper for a while, I liked it.

WEEDSMOKER
Nov 18, 2022

by Hand Knit
Looking for a Tele model I saw a long time ago. Fender and had stock two P-90s. I think maybe a run from the early-mid 2000's. There were a couple going for $500. I'd appreciate the help.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

Is there a good way of telling whether buzzing frets is an action problem or a fret-wear issue? My Strat is old enough now that it can drink in any state, and although it wasn't heavily played for a long time, it did endure my previous attempts at learning and even some drop-d punk nonsense. I was definitely a heavy handed player while learning too.

I'm getting some buzz particularly around the third fret and I can see a lot of wear and flat spots. I wouldn't mind, but I can hear it through an amp in this case.

I like how it plays, so I'm loathe to tinker with it too much. Is it likely in need of a fret crown and polish?

You want a notched straight edge to set your neck to dead straight, then you check your frets with a fret rocker to make sure they are all level. That will tell you if you need some fretwork or not. You can buy both of those things for cheap on amazon.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

WEEDSMOKER posted:

Looking for a Tele model I saw a long time ago. Fender and had stock two P-90s. I think maybe a run from the early-mid 2000's. There were a couple going for $500. I'd appreciate the help.

Modern Player Thinline Deluxe or the FSR '72 Custom P90 are the only two that pop to mind with both bridge and neck P90 but they're 2010 onwards.

There was also the Squier Custom II and the Jim Adkins JA90 (which had more of an LP setup on the tele body) both around the right era but respectively cheaper and way more expensive than 500.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

BizarroAzrael posted:

even if you buy a real Fender pickguard to replace the original one on a real Fender body, you should just expect some of them not to line up where they were. It's easy as heck to fill the old screw-hole and put a new one where the pickguard wants it to be.

WEEDSMOKER
Nov 18, 2022

by Hand Knit

darkwasthenight posted:

Modern Player Thinline Deluxe or the FSR '72 Custom P90 are the only two that pop to mind with both bridge and neck P90 but they're 2010 onwards.

There was also the Squier Custom II and the Jim Adkins JA90 (which had more of an LP setup on the tele body) both around the right era but respectively cheaper and way more expensive than 500.

I guess it was a Squier and not a Fender. drat I think I found my next guitar I don't need. Thanks

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

havelock posted:

It turns out helix native has a 15 day trial, too, so I downloaded it and played with it. It sounds nice and feels pretty responsive (and the UI is very straightforward), but my main issue is that there's too much. The presets and amps and effects all have cutesy names (which I get is for trademark reasons or whatever) but it's pretty hard to know what is what. It really needs tagging or a hierarchy or something (like Arturia does with pigments or even guitar rig does by style or amp or whatever). There are a ton of effects in there, including some nice pitch things, but I get the feeling there's tons of overlap there, too. I'd rather have one super adjustable delay than 10 delays (x2 since they have both mono and stereo) with largely overlapping features and sounds.

I think if I went with Native I'd open it up to fiddle with designing effects chains and sounds, rather than opening it up to play and be inspired. The neural stuff feels a little more immediate that way - the limitations become the strength.

I'm also likely going to be doing this inside bitwig, so with the exception of the pitch shifting stuff I think I can easily put most of the other stuff together with in built bitwig stuff if I need it.

I'll likely end up picking up Gojira and Cory Wong from Neural, so that means Neural ends up cheaper for me, too. (Bitwig has a nice Blur device that I can use with the easy Stereo input toggle in Neural to effectively add the Doubler to these two archetypes that don't ship with one like say Petrucci does).

I'm glad I tried all this stuff out - the space has really changed since I last checked in on it and there's lots of fun to be had.

Awesome, glad you found what works for you! There's really no wrong answer these days (except outright dated and overpriced stuff like Guitar Rig). Agreed that Helix is definitely overwhelming - I usually create patches just like I would set up an effect and amp chain, but people are doing some crazy stuff with it. Helix Help is a really useful resource to decipher all of the amps and effects: https://helixhelp.com/models

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

cant remember if it was in this thread or the last ones where i talked about some weird chords in a modern baseball song and a jeff rosenstock song-- both were in C, but they had the D/F# guitar thing in them.

ive since realized they're both just secondary dominants

unsure if this is true but with borrowed and secondary chords i kind of assume "you can resolve them harmonically or chromatically" since really its steps that make up all of music anyway

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

landgrabber posted:

cant remember if it was in this thread or the last ones where i talked about some weird chords in a modern baseball song and a jeff rosenstock song-- both were in C, but they had the D/F# guitar thing in them.

ive since realized they're both just secondary dominants

unsure if this is true but with borrowed and secondary chords i kind of assume "you can resolve them harmonically or chromatically" since really its steps that make up all of music anyway

Which songs? Fan of both bands and also have recently been working on my D/F# (using a full barre C shape) to play Zombie by Cranberries and He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother by the Hollies, so some more songs with that shape would be nice to know.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Plank Walker posted:

Which songs? Fan of both bands and also have recently been working on my D/F# (using a full barre C shape) to play Zombie by Cranberries and He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother by the Hollies, so some more songs with that shape would be nice to know.

hell yeah, more pop punk/emo fans up in here

for modern baseball, it's note to self off holy ghost. i usually play it as 254XXX. still haven't been able to figure out everything going on in that song, but i love to to death.

it's the same shape in jeff rosenstock's USA.

e: i think it's funny when people rag on modern baseball and say "the music isnt that good or complicated" because if you look at the chord sheets/tabs, they do insane poo poo constantly lol

lately ive been getting into jimmy eat world

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 23, 2022

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

with dominants you can resolve chromatically down a half step - also known as tritone substitution. makes a ii - V - I move chromatically down: Dm Db7 C for example

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Aside from wanting to slow down on guitar buying I should actually try them out first. There don't seem to be any Meteroas in London right now but possibly I can swing by Anderton's in Guildford at Xmas, or I think new shipments are coming.

But here's something weird, in a random YT vid a guy is running down the Schecter range and mentions an offset line, the Spitfire, which besides having a nice shape is shown to have filtertrons. But when I search there's barely any evidence it exists, none come up as on sale, only a couple of YT vids. It looks sick as gently caress though, so I'm going to try to keep it on my radar. I like the look quite a bit more than the PT Fastback which shares a bunch of it's attributes.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Help

I ran out of guitar space so have been buying pedals. But there's space left on the board.

What should I add to the below? I like metal and ambient poo poo.

Boss Chromatic Tuner
Ibanez WH10 wah
MXR Super Comp
Boss Metal Zone
Boss Metal Core
Boss SD-1
Big Muff pi with Tone Wicker
OBNE Dark Star
EQ Dispatch Master
Boss RC-1 looper
Joyo American Sound
Nux Solid Studio

Maybe an HM-2? Ocean Machine? Both?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A Microcosm will solve both your problems (having space and disposable income).

e, I'm currently lusting over a 00-15m. Anyone want to buy a short scale Fender PJ?

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 23, 2022

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

havelock posted:

Yeah, its kind of a golden age for guitar poo poo right now. So many excellent options. Glad you figured out whats going to work for you!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Digital delay
Tremolo with selectable wave shapes.
Octaver/pitch shifter

WEEDSMOKER
Nov 18, 2022

by Hand Knit

BizarroAzrael posted:

Aside from wanting to slow down on guitar buying I should actually try them out first. There don't seem to be any Meteroas in London right now but possibly I can swing by Anderton's in Guildford at Xmas, or I think new shipments are coming.

But here's something weird, in a random YT vid a guy is running down the Schecter range and mentions an offset line, the Spitfire, which besides having a nice shape is shown to have filtertrons. But when I search there's barely any evidence it exists, none come up as on sale, only a couple of YT vids. It looks sick as gently caress though, so I'm going to try to keep it on my radar. I like the look quite a bit more than the PT Fastback which shares a bunch of it's attributes.

I had that problem buying my PT Fastback with a Bigsby. Never had tried a Schecter but bought it I love that guitar now. Schecter quality so good IMO. Though I do find the humbuckers that came with mine to be a bit too mellow and muddy. That Spitfire looks nice. Seems the neck is the same or similar to the Fastback. Flat radius, THIN neck. I didn't have experience with the huge frets that come with it, so it took me a minute to get used to it. I'd press hard and make everything go sharp. Kinda feels scalloped.

WEEDSMOKER fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 23, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
As long as it's one made in World Music in South Korea it's probably going to be a killer guitar.

So once upon a time it was Japan, now it's Korea, who's going to be the next country that makes insanely killer guitars and everyone has to move to a cheaper country? Indonesia or China?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
China has already priced itself out and everybody has moved onto Indonesia as the new cheap manufacturer - Squier moving all production there in 2016 was the first sign.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Talked about this in discord the other day. It's not really the country for the most part, it's the factory(And maybe the brand and the final QC? I feel like a lot of guitars go straight from factory to the retailer). And I still prefer stuff from WMI Korea and FujiGen(plus that other factory that made the older MiJ jacksons, not sure if it's still in business or not). A lot of people don't care or notice much difference anyway, but as a person who has had over 13 or 14 guitars the past couple of years, and likes low action and deals with my own setup stuff, generally speaking the Korean and Japanese stuff is more likely to be better just in overall fit and finish terms, but it always comes down to a guitar by guitar basis in the end.

I know WMI has an Indonesia factory because Ormsby released some cheaper guitars made there and the reception has been good but I haven't tried one. I think a lot of the Ibanez and other brands are made in the Cort Indonesian factory aren't they?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 23, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it makes me dramatically sad whenever i remember the realities of the world economy and its cruelty

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Help

I ran out of guitar space so have been buying pedals. But there's space left on the board.

Boss Chromatic Tuner
Ibanez WH10 wah
MXR Super Comp
Boss Metal Zone
Boss Metal Core
Boss SD-1
OBNE Dark Star
EQ Dispatch Master
Boss RC-1 looper
Joyo American Sound
Nux Solid Studio

Maybe an HM-2? Ocean Machine? Both?

Do you need a noise gate? Those are deceptively expensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Help

Boss Chromatic Tuner
Ibanez WH10 wah
MXR Super Comp
Boss Metal Zone
Boss Metal Core
Boss SD-1
OBNE Dark Star
EQ Dispatch Master
Boss RC-1 looper
Joyo American Sound
Nux Solid Studio