Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I'm now about a quarter of the way to paying off my ebike in fuel savings.
Bought an ugly green ZPAO second hand off a boomer who didn't realise you still had to pedal for $2k and started riding it to work. 34km each way takes me about 1hr15 and works out to about $15 a day in fuel savings.

Feels good man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I hesitated to post this, perhaps because of and not despite the 80% discount, but Swagtron’s deathtrap scooter with compliance pedals is $100:

https://www.amazon.com/SWAGTRON-Swagcycle-Lightweight-Aluminum-Folding/dp/B08NL84XDT

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

acidx posted:

They look fine for commuting for a 26x4, but 26x4 isn't an ideal commuter tire size.
Yeah like on an ebike they're probably fine, just huge for no reason except look cool (which, you know, valid).

kimbo305 posted:

I hesitated to post this, perhaps because of and not despite the 80% discount, but Swagtron’s deathtrap scooter with compliance pedals is $100:

https://www.amazon.com/SWAGTRON-Swagcycle-Lightweight-Aluminum-Folding/dp/B08NL84XDT
LOL the battery alone is prob worth more if that's the actual capacity.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

LOL the battery alone is prob worth more if that's the actual capacity.

first review i saw said that they had gone through six swagtrons with battery issues so that kinda negates that

also 14” tires lol

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sold by a bunch of just launched sellers on Amazon so I wonder what you’ll actually get

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is this thread the right place to talk about conversion kits? I've had a BBS02 on my commuter for a few years now but I'm starting to plan for whenever it dies.

Current setup:

I read recently that Bafang is getting out of the kit business so I'll need to get one elsewhere. The most promising option I've come across is CYC who make a range of middrive kits. I've also noticed that all of the online vendors that I know of have terrible battery selection these days. Lunacycle barely sells them anymore, EM3EV has terrible stock, same with Electrify. Any battery sources I'm missing?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Grin will sell you a very nice battery for a lot of money.. I'm hoping they do another 25% off sale this winter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How do you decide if a battery is compatible or not? What protocol if any do the power electronics observe?
I've been trying to get my hands on a Bosch Powerpack 500, and the used market is understanding very slim. 400s seem slightly more available.
For your use case, presumably worth neither the premium nor potential difficulties with talking to a non-Bosch controller.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

How do you decide if a battery is compatible or not? What protocol if any do the power electronics observe?
No protocol in DIY ebike world. Just power.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

No protocol in DIY ebike world. Just power.

Yeah, no firmware bullshit to worry about. The battery has two wires coming off of it and the controller has a matching pair. As long as the battery voltage is within the range the controller can handle you're good to go.

It's on you to tune the various parameters and the "fuel gauge" is just a voltage meter so it requires a little more attention. I set my current one up years ago and barely think about it.

Grin's prices are awfully high but they do have some of the best selection at the moment. If it were just a little simpler I'd build my own but I don't want to deal with spot welding and all that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So I could replace my Bosch battery with a generic, provided I got the voltage and interface plug correct?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

kimbo305 posted:

So I could replace my Bosch battery with a generic, provided I got the voltage and interface plug correct?

Yup. With the nitpicking caveat that your new pack can deliver enough current for your motor. In reality this won't be an issue as long as the replacement pack is of a similar size.
My decade-long experience is that it's worth it to get a pack with name-brand cells rather than generic chinese no-name ones. Costs a bit more but lasts a lot more charge cycles, at least for me. Some of that is me learning to baby my packs and treat them kindly though.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Grin's fancy charger is very nice for that. Charge to whatever voltage you want, at any rate!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Grin's fancy charger is very nice for that. Charge to whatever voltage you want, at any rate!

All chargers should have a voltage cutoff setting. A simple but fully functional setup is a few bucks worth of electronics and manufacturing cost tops. I think the EU or California or similar should mandate that all chargers sold must have it so the market unfucks itself.

I've solved the issue by adding voltage monitoring relays to all my chargers (I have four) at a cost of like $100 and a few hours of work. I've easily multiplied that sum several times in savings from battery longevity over the years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Diamondback's flat bar commuter is 50%, $1750

https://www.diamondback.com/union-1-4664

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I've been trying to get my hands on a Bosch Powerpack 500, and the used market is understanding very slim. 400s seem slightly more available.
For your use case, presumably worth neither the premium nor potential difficulties with talking to a non-Bosch controller.
The big brands are all proprietary, and the little ones are all voltage-only-and-good-luck.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I don't know who's telling you to replace your powerpack 4/500 with a third party but there's a reason the first party are so expensive: they're the only thing that works and bosch can't make enough of them.
Akku (e-bike-)Vision seems to have equivalent batteries, but they're not really any cheaper AFAICS

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 21, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't know who's telling you to replace your powerpack 4/500 with a third party but there's a reason the first party are so expensive

Solely from oXDemosthenesXo's discussion that some vendor was the best remaining option, over say Bosch OEM. But maybe it was only in the context of kit solutions.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Solely from oXDemosthenesXo's discussion that some vendor was the best remaining option, over say Bosch OEM. But maybe it was only in the context of kit solutions.

Yeah that was only talking about kit options.

If you have a Bosch or other OEM motor/ controller then you have to use their batteries. I'll bet there's some shady firmware hack out there but that's another level of DIY.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent rack that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'm going on a vacation for the holidays and I'd like to take the bike with to putter around, but a lot of the racks I'm seeing are heckin' expensive. I've got a crossover SUV thing and while it doesn't have a hitch currently, I'm not opposed to installing one.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Either buy a decent rack now, or later after your cheap rack fails. E-bikes are especially heavy, I'm not sure I'm comfortable putting mine on my 1-up rack.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Install a hitch and use a tray style rack. You will regret any other choice.

Pay attention to weight ratings. I have a two bike rack rated for 45lbs per bike. I'd only put one heavier ebike on that in the position closest to the car.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 22, 2022

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

CopperHound posted:

Install a hitch and use a tray style rack. You will regret any other choice.

Pay attention to weight ratings. I have a two bike rack rated for 45lbs per bike. I'd only put one heavier ebike on that in the position closest to the car.

Sage advice here. Especially the hitch with a tray. I laugh watching the bro-trucks park at the trailhead then spend time having to put their bike together instead of just carrying on the back with a tray. Also, taking your bike apart after riding probably sucks, too.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is this thread the right place to talk about conversion kits? I've had a BBS02 on my commuter for a few years now but I'm starting to plan for whenever it dies.

Current setup:

I read recently that Bafang is getting out of the kit business so I'll need to get one elsewhere. The most promising option I've come across is CYC who make a range of middrive kits. I've also noticed that all of the online vendors that I know of have terrible battery selection these days. Lunacycle barely sells them anymore, EM3EV has terrible stock, same with Electrify. Any battery sources I'm missing?

that conversion is sick. the platonic ideal. where did you hear that Bafang is exiting conversions? they just updated their lineup and now their middrive conversion motors are called M615/M315/M215. They even released a shaft drive (!!) conversion motor called the M445, though it's targeted towards bike-sharing operators according to their website.

I got a no-name 48V20Ah rear-rack battery from ebay last year and am happy with it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Local Boston shop is selling e-bikes for 30% off. Local pickup only though. If you were close to getting one, this might close the deal.

https://u12279354.ct.sendgrid.net/l...jwjwUUQtw-3D-3D

Code is EBIKE30

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 24, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

webcams for christ posted:

that conversion is sick. the platonic ideal. where did you hear that Bafang is exiting conversions? they just updated their lineup and now their middrive conversion motors are called M615/M315/M215. They even released a shaft drive (!!) conversion motor called the M445, though it's targeted towards bike-sharing operators according to their website.

I got a no-name 48V20Ah rear-rack battery from ebay last year and am happy with it.

Not sure where I read that. I might have read they were discontinuing the BBSXX line and extrapolated too much.

Are their M615/M315/M215 options for sale yet anywhere?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
FWIW Luna told me the other day that they haven't heard the BBSXX motors are being discontinued. They've got orders in for more now and said they hope they keep making the BBSXX motors because they don't like the new motors. I'm gonna hop on the 120mm kit the next time the BBSHD's are in stock.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Huh, apparently someone lied to me on the internet.

Its good to know they're not dropping that line entirely, I might need spare parts at some point.

I still might go with a CYC kit for the torque sensing unless I also misread that Bafang's conversion kits still don't have that feature. I've been riding throttle only since I installed it because their pedal sensor system is so dangerous.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This year I bought my first e-bike. A rad city 5+ and I love it! It was a great introductory bike and I've used it nearly every weekend to do long distance rides around the Seattle area and am starting to use it to replace my commute to the office.

However, I'm already wanting to upgrade since I know the experience can be improved beyond what radpower can offer: e.g. mid drive with a carbon belt.

As a result this weekend I test rode a Riese and Muller Nevo 3 and yeah... that's definitely a superior experience (for like 2-3 times the cost). So next year when a health benefit stipend through my job resets I'm going to put a deposit for the Nevo 4 which should be out in Germany by this coming March and in the USA by May (just in time for my bday)

I'm curious though if there are any other mid-drive + carbon belt bikes I should try out before settling in this one. I looked into evelo because they seemingly have all the same qualities but you can also get them with a throttle all at a cheaper price. However looking at reviews it seems they have a notoriously bad service record. 😞

Any thoughts of what else I should look into?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Priority current is sold through a Costco.com deal if you have a Costco card. I have a kids bike from them with the belt drive and it’s been great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

G-III posted:

I'm curious though if there are any other mid-drive + carbon belt bikes I should try out before settling in this one. I looked into evelo because they seemingly have all the same qualities but you can also get them with a throttle all at a cheaper price. However looking at reviews it seems they have a notoriously bad service record. 😞

Get a multitinker for maximum weird+useful

Hdip posted:

Priority current is sold through a Costco.com deal if you have a Costco card. I have a kids bike from them with the belt drive and it’s been great.
That seems to be a no-name motor?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

G-III posted:

Specialized Turbos (though I think only the Como and Vado have the belt drive)

halokiller fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 29, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

G-III posted:

This isn't belt, but I think it's a good deal for a Bosch Performance Line Speed:
https://www.diamondback.com/union-1-4664
You're giving up front suspension (not a dealbreaker with 27.5 x 2.4 tires), the belt, and 500Wh battery.
The geometry seems similar -- the Nevo is slacker tho it sure doesn't look it.
I'd say 10spd is plenty when you have assist.

Throttle is pretty uninteresting to me. Obviously this thread will have proponents of both pedelec and throttle.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 29, 2022

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's a good price and a decent looking bike but also not what they asked.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I don't mind other recommendations. As far as something that is comparable to a Riese and Muller I'm finding the Gazelle C380+ HMB

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/...-grey&frame=mid

The specialized turbo also looks good and a few bike shops in my area carry them so that might help out a bit with concerns around available support.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

That's a good price and a decent looking bike but also not what they asked.

I took “what else I should look into” as non belt options.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

G-III posted:

I don't mind other recommendations. As far as something that is comparable to a Riese and Muller I'm finding the Gazelle C380+ HMB

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/...-grey&frame=mid

The specialized turbo also looks good and a few bike shops in my area carry them so that might help out a bit with concerns around available support.

I've got a Gazelle NL C8 HMB. It's a solid bike that's been mostly trouble-free over the last 1500 miles. I'm a fan of the brand. On paper, the c380+ fixes all the things that annoy me about the bike: more powerful motor, disk brakes, less laid-back bars, and a different IGH.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Hdip posted:

evil_bunnY posted:

Get a multitinker for maximum weird+useful

That seems to be a no-name motor?

Yeah that's the challenge here. My concern with any proprietary parts with a bike that doesn't have its own shop and/or local presence in my area makes me nervous regarding support. This is why I'm focusing on bikes that standardize on the bosch mid-drive and battery system. There are many shops in my area which service bikes with this system that would make them an easy choice due to the sheer ubiquity of support. Also for the price of the priority current I'm shocked it doesn't have any front suspension.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

G-III posted:

Also for the price of the priority current I'm shocked it doesn't have any front suspension.

I suppose that is a feature a lot of potential buyers are looking for, but 27.5 wheels with big tires will offer enough rollover on most street obstacles, and the tire volume will take care of the buzz.
I’ve run 2” tires on 27.5, 24, and 20 tires and rigid fork on street, and the comfort jump from 24 to 20 is very noticeable, but 24 is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

G-III posted:

Also for the price of the priority current I'm shocked it doesn't have any front suspension.
You just don't want front suspension on a city bike.

Also people should look at the service intervals on decent forks, and understand that the cheaper ones you get on a city bike are *lower* in practice.

The one german publication that tested a e-cargo bike long term (and it was a R&M 6000+ euros model) basically exposed the fact that the fork was a consumable. That's loving dumb. They might have figured it out with cargo-specific air forks in the mean time (this was 3+ years ago) but I'd still be wary.

kimbo305 posted:

I’ve run 2” tires on 27.5, 24, and 20 tires and rigid fork on street, and the comfort jump from 24 to 20 is very noticeable, but 24 is fine.
Yeah there's a reason the Tern GSD comes with balloon tires and a suspension seatpost in all but the cheapest finishes.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 2, 2022