Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have absolute zero sympathy for fans of Lewis "Poois Shamilton" Hamilton complaining that a driver they don't like is winning too many races OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Wouldn’t say I’m a Lewis fan, Mercedes’ dominance in the sport has been a big problem for sure, but I guess the difference is that Lewis seems like a nice person instead of an angry menace a hair-trigger away from crashing into his rivals?

Just going by what we see on track; I didn’t really pay attention to anything F1 so all I have are the replays.

TBH tedious RBR dominance sucks just as much as tedious Merc dominance, and I’m mainly looking forward to the mid pack fights because they seem way more interesting now.

E: it’s entirely possible Verstappen chilled out in 2022! I’m just off of watching KSA and Abu Dhabi 2021, which might just be him at his absolute worst.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Looks like it's shaping up to be an incredible year to be a scud supporter, and yet another epic fail year to be Br*tish op

Apparently Ferrari stopped development early for 2023 and turned down the engine a bit for reliability - so that bodes well for next year.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I personally grew very irritated that Mercedes fans and pundits alike seemed to not acknowledge that the W13 was a severely flawed car and the giant performance boost that was supposed to happen from like round 5 never materialized. It was, in most circumstances, not a race winning package.

The engine also has been outclassed - this year, it was likely the worst on the grid.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frond posted:

Apparently Ferrari stopped development early for 2023 and turned down the engine a bit for reliability - so that bodes well for next year.

So much antipasti, so little time during a race to strategise over it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

PatentPending posted:

Wouldn’t say I’m a Lewis fan, Mercedes’ dominance in the sport has been a big problem for sure, but I guess the difference is that Lewis seems like a nice person instead of an angry menace a hair-trigger away from crashing into his rivals?

Just going by what we see on track; I didn’t really pay attention to anything F1 so all I have are the replays.

TBH tedious RBR dominance sucks just as much as tedious Merc dominance, and I’m mainly looking forward to the mid pack fights because they seem way more interesting now.

E: it’s entirely possible Verstappen chilled out in 2022! I’m just off of watching KSA and Abu Dhabi 2021, which might just be him at his absolute worst.

The 2022 season is tolerable, kinda fun even, if you go in with the expectation of Max just cruising in P1 for the entire race and treat the fight for P2 as the real championship!

Also Alpine vs Lando Norris

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Frond posted:

I'm not falling for that again.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Frond posted:

The engine also has been outclassed - this year, it was likely the worst on the grid.

The Renault is still the worst engine on the grid. The problem Merc have is they assumed nobody would ever catch them so they went conservative and made a rock solid engine for 2022. Now that the engines are frozen, they don't have the on track unreliability to make "reliability upgrades (oh also 10 more hp)" that everyone else does. So I can see the Ferrari, Alpine and RBPT* pushing past the Merc engine next year.

* The RBPT engine was also rock solid and is already outperforming Merc, but I'm making the assumption that RBR will cheat and make upgrades anyways.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I have absolute zero sympathy for fans of Lewis "Poois Shamilton" Hamilton complaining that a driver they don't like is winning too many races OP

Lewis is allowed to win the minimum number of races required to win a WDC.
He's allowed to win 1 WDC once every 3 years.
:colbert:

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 22, 2022

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

I personally grew very irritated that Mercedes fans and pundits alike seemed to not acknowledge that the W13 was a severely flawed car and the giant performance boost that was supposed to happen from like round 5 never materialized. It was, in most circumstances, not a race winning package.

F1 fans are terrible for just making poo poo up to suit their narrative. The Merc was a dog this year.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

italian quid posted:

F1 fans are terrible for just making poo poo up to suit their narrative. The Merc was a dog this year.

In fairness it's because most of them get their narrative from drive to survive and the motorsport.com comment section, which is the equivalent of eating lead paint and washing it back with a nice refreshing glass of high fructose corn syrup.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

Remember the flex-floor nonsense before Belgium and how the TD would propel the W13 back to the front? Then Belgium actually happened. If anything the RBR cars were unaffected and it hurt the Ferrari more than anything.

This was also not helped by Russell’s statements sometimes (IE Hungary).

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i was a poois fan during the vettelreich and i was the first to get bored of him winning by like, 2015. i have integrity OP

that said i didn't mind verstappen this year. another year like this might be pushing it for repetitiveness tho

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone who is a Lewis fan is welcome so that we can have some balance to the rampant anti Lewis bias itt. Even worse, Max fans.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Hamilton is fine. He’s a great driver.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

All young F1 drivers are garbage. You have to be an old driver in order to even qualify as cool. Lewis is nearly old enough to be cool and good, but not yet.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Liam Lawson is being sent to Super Formula for some reason, which I don't mind but it's usually a place to park drivers that already are F2 champions. Pourchaire is likely headed there too..

Also, Mehri will be making his return there as well. He's extremely out of depth.

Frond fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 22, 2022

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There's like no talent in the pipeline to F1 which is depressing. There should be considerable panic over the fact any team would think bringing Hulkenberg back was a good idea but the media instead seems to act like this is perfectly fine lol

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

italian quid posted:

There's like no talent in the pipeline to F1 which is depressing. There should be considerable panic over the fact any team would think bringing Hulkenberg back was a good idea but the media instead seems to act like this is perfectly fine lol

Hiring Hulkenberg makes total sense. Haas wants a safe reliable consistent driver. They have no desire to hire some rookie who is an unknown quantity in F1 and will just want to leave the team if they are a good driver. They probably would also have been fine with Danny Ric, but he thought being a reserve driver was a better career path. If Mick didn’t crash so much he probably would still be on the team, but he couldn’t resist the wall’s tempting siren song.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Alright, I’ll watch through 2022.

These new cars look pretty cool. Alfa Romeo and McClaren especially.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Ethiser posted:

Hiring Hulkenberg makes total sense. Haas wants a safe reliable consistent driver. They have no desire to hire some rookie who is an unknown quantity in F1 and will just want to leave the team if they are a good driver. They probably would also have been fine with Danny Ric, but he thought being a reserve driver was a better career path. If Mick didn’t crash so much he probably would still be on the team, but he couldn’t resist the wall’s tempting siren song.

:roflolmao:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

Here I fixed it for you

Edit: Alternatively

piastri is already test driving the mclaren! it's not going great!

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1699768/oscar-piastri-mclaren-daniel-ricciardo-news-latest

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ethiser posted:

It's the same reason Kimi kept a seat so long and why teams would hire guys like Pedro de la Rosa or Jarno Trulli. Sometimes you want a guy who isn't going to do stupid poo poo and is going to be reasonably good at developing the car and scoring occasional points.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's the same reason Kimi kept a seat so long and why teams would hire guys like Pedro de la Rosa or Jarno Trulli. Sometimes you want a guy who isn't going to do stupid poo poo and is going to be reasonably good at developing the car and scoring occasional points.

Haas develop their car?????

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Presumably Haas will not be running their 2022 car next season OP

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

Even F3 is barren. The V6 regs have been a disaster.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Just lmao at the smoothbrains here who think Haas can afford to make anything but the strictest of financial decisions. They need a German driver with a valid super license who isn't going to bin the car and can get reliable points. That's it. They're trying to keep the team alive.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hulkenberg is actually something like the 20th highest point scorer of time, fair enough.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Presumably Haas will not be running their 2022 car next season OP

Presumably.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Frond posted:

Hamilton is fine. He’s a great driver.

Beaten by Russell in his first year at Merc.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Charles Leclerc posted:

In fairness it's because most of them get their narrative from drive to survive and the motorsport.com comment section, which is the equivalent of eating lead paint and washing it back with a nice refreshing glass of high fructose corn syrup.

Motorsport.com has one of, if not THE worst, comment section I've ever seen.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Frond posted:

Motorsport.com has one of, if not THE worst, comment section I've ever seen.

Post em if you got em

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Motorsport.com comments section is great if you like reading the deranged comments of unhinged fanboys.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

Just lmao at the smoothbrains here who think Haas can afford to make anything but the strictest of financial decisions. They need a German driver with a valid super license who isn't going to bin the car and can get reliable points. That's it. They're trying to keep the team alive.

Thanks to the power of Moneygram Haas will actually be at the cost cap next year.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

gene's approach seems to be funding the team at a minimum operating level indefinitely. if we also get a sponsor then that's cool but no biggie.

what would have happened if putin hadn't invaded russia...

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

ArmZ posted:

HAAS would be hiring two new (old) drivers for 2023 instead of one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The AMR22 looks really nice without all the stickers in it but that Alpine Blue is still the prettiest colour job in the track. Nando gonna find a way to torch the rest of Lawrence's money next season.

Also youtube recommended me the 1998 Belgian GP crash and lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l101oQtswnA

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol at Fartin Bumdle spending ages talking about how not-wet it is before that all kicks off

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

ArmZ posted:

gene's approach seems to be funding the team at a minimum operating level indefinitely. if we also get a sponsor then that's cool but no biggie.

Mazespin would have been WDC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

PatentPending posted:

How to say you only watch DTS without saying it out loud

Lewis is the most petulant driver on the grid, they just don't play his radio and paint him as a villain. He absolutely loves running people wide and then playing the victim too. Max has actually calmed down 10000000000x the past 2 seasons and is more focussed it seems.

"HE DID X MAN, NOT COOL" *runs place marker over with vigilance*

Such petulance.