Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not every nen user specializes in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Pariston himself claims to be weak but he's also full of poo poo and we've never seen him fight so he could entirely possibly be secretly super strong. All of the zodiacs are presumably still way at the top in terms of nen proficiency and most of them are presumably still very strong in combat, just they aren't like, Ging level (or even Hisoka/Illumi level) because most of them aren't actually primarily fighters.

BlitznBurst fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 22, 2022

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Pariston went to a lot of effort to try to get Ging to reveal his Hatsu, presumably so he could develop a counter and undermine him if necessary. I imagine Pariston might not be impressively high power ala Netero but has something sneaky and highly effective when used intelligently.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Mizai is cool and also made the smart decision to just wear a goofy hat rather than gently caress up his body.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also Cheadle is absolutely a furry that took advantage of a plausible excuse for becoming a dog person

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd have more respect for them if their reason for becoming body mod furries had anything to do with their own desires and interests. total fuckin' freaks are great! but no, they are all a bunch of otherwise normal, boring people that did it to please netero who asked for nothing of the sort. it's weird. they're weird.

Ok but otoh the peak of the hunters world being dominated by a bunch of simps is hilarious and speaks a lot to Netero's overall leadership

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What if those animal-esque transformations is like Kurapika's oath in a sense and makes their Nen stronger?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Kurapika's vows are way more serious; I don't think "looking sort of like an animal" is much of a restriction or sacrifice. On the other hand, Franklin powered up his finger guns just by cutting off his fingertips and sewing them back on, which suggests that thematic appropriateness is a third route to power; the Zodiacs' transformations might benefit them in that way, with the possible exception of those whose Nen powers are off-theme (Mizaistrom).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

\with the possible exception of those whose Nen powers are off-theme (Mizaistrom).

how's it off theme? He's themed, and holds out something red and then charges you

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nen milk obviously

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Nenny Milkys

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
One thing I just noticed about the new chapter was that when Nobunaga cuts out the wall. He lets his scabbard stand on the ground and cuts so fast he can catch it before it has a chance to tilt in any direction.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I didn't notice that, what a cool detail

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think you guys are being harsh on Mizai.

Mizais got a thing going on beyond being a zodaic, with his detective roleplay. Everyone else just needs something like that

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Meme Emulator posted:

Mizais got a thing going on beyond being a zodaic, with his detective roleplay. Everyone else just needs something like that

They've all got stuff going on beyond that. It's just that for more than half the Zodiacs, we know nothing about them except their names, what kind of hunter they are, and what they're doing to prepare for the Dark Continent. For now, they're unimportant background characters who exist largely to set up that "who's the traitor working with Beyond" mystery from waaaaaaay back before everyone got on that boat. We'll probably learn more about them in the future, but at this rate we're not getting back to the Beyond stuff or the Dark Continent stuff anytime soon.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Don't we already know its the tiger guy?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kild posted:

Don't we already know its the tiger guy?

Monkey.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

it always cracks me up when i realize nen can be captured by cameras...

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Zodiac haters will be eating crow after the Tiger and Bunny misadventures arc drops in 2037.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

bees x1000 posted:

Zodiac haters will be eating crow after the Tiger and Bunny misadventures arc drops in 2037.

this reminds me, I still need to watch season 2

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Mizaistom’s ability is nuts. It’s a coercive manipulator with incredible utility, limited only by activation time that might be impractical against top level nen-users. If the zodiacs are all like that, they deserve to be where they are.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lpzie posted:

it always cracks me up when i realize nen can be captured by cameras...

I think more people should try and weaponize their nen ability through technology. Melody's power working through the ship's intercom system to mass hypnotize pretty much everyone but Keeny, Fuugetsu, and Kacho would absolutely be nuts if used to say, facilitate an assassination or robbery. Even better if it just erased someone's perception of time instead of giving them an illusory field of flowers to fill the void.

Imagine a nen ability that works like subliminal messages where people watching are given a sort of suggestion like the needle in Killua's head and over time these messages will incite people to act on them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I assume tech-reliant powers are rare because hunters by nature travel around the place, from job to job, so a power reliant on technology is a power that you can't use freely.

Like imagine having to go to the NGL with a tech-based nen ability, you'd be hosed cause you're not even allowed to enter with metal piercings.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

it does mean you can have The Ring in universe though....

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I assume tech-reliant powers are rare because hunters by nature travel around the place, from job to job, so a power reliant on technology is a power that you can't use freely.

Like imagine having to go to the NGL with a tech-based nen ability, you'd be hosed cause you're not even allowed to enter with metal piercings.

a lot of the nen users present aren't hunters and have no reason to go traipsing off into the wilderness.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

To be fair, Melody's ability works outside the context of needing technology to transmit her power. She does her thing to stop Kurapika and the rest of Neon's crew from fragmenting back in York Shin as a distraction. Someone who has this kind of propaganda power might be able to initiate it outside of using something to broadcast it, but I can also imagine a nen user who exclusively designs their power to work through technology and just not care about some place like the NGL where their power is useless. Plenty of hatsu are focused on a specific purpose rather than being broadly applicable in most situations.

Lpzie posted:

it does mean you can have The Ring in universe though....
I mean Sadako's ability is a psychic one so it basically is a nen curse that spreads like a virus and kills after a fixed interval

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

you'd just enter illegally, duh

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

What if my oath is to never break the law?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Then you really aren’t gonna make it as a Hunter, buddy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

What if my oath is to never break the law?

It sounds like an intriguing experiment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxopd_qSVKo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Then it works as a condition powering up your hatsu

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Okay, I've read Kurapika's origin chapter. I'm guessing that the human traffickers captured Sheila, then she escaped and traveled until she got into the Kurta Clan's territory? The elders of Meteor City found out where she was and thought the Kurta Clan were her kidnappers so they sent in the Phantom Troupe, who were still plenty pissed at the time, to wipe out them out to send a message, I think? If yes then it adds another layer of senselessness to the massacre if they had no clue that Sheila was traveling of her own volition.

It's building up to an interesting theme of all these various parties (the Troupe, Kurapika, Morena, Tserriednich, Halkenburg) and how rage at the world or a desire for vengeance has a chance to turn them into monsters. Who knows, maybe protecting Oito and Woble and getting them out of the war alive might be just the thing that can save Kurapika from falling down this path.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

When I first read Kurapica's Origin, I was sure that one of the punks was from Meteor City. Rereading it, there wasn't really any evidence of that at all. Really curious to see how the Sheila thing unfolds.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think it’s interesting that despite there seemingly being a deeper story to the Kurta massacre, not only did Uvogin not bring it up to excuse the Troupe’s actions to Kurapica, but he seems to have mostly forgotten the whole thing. I don’t think that makes the backstory being revealed here a retcon; rather, I think it says something about Uvogin. Uvogin is a very proud guy who has no interest in trying to justify himself to Kurapica even if his life depends on it, and he cares so little about things other than fighting that the only thing he remembers is the Kurta being strong.

Of course Uvogin being proud and fight-obsessed was very clear from that scene even at the time, but my point is that he seems even more like that in retrospect, and in fact we now see that he was like that even as a kid; the same flashback that shows us how much Chrollo has changed also shows us that Uvogin didn’t really change that radically.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 25, 2022

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

this flashback is messing with my spiders head canon something fierce. hope it's addressed why you can kill a member and they let you join...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So where do I find the Kurapika backstory thing? It’s not on the Jump app afaik and it’s kinda hard to tell on Mangadex if it’s even there.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

So where do I find the Kurapika backstory thing? It’s not on the Jump app afaik and it’s kinda hard to tell on Mangadex if it’s even there.

Here's imgur's of the Viz tl

https://imgur.com/a/LA14z

https://imgur.com/a/9pbUj

e:
mangadex (mangastream tl) links

https://mangadex.org/chapter/08164e9c-78e8-474b-977e-8f8e180afbd4
https://mangadex.org/chapter/f2041fb3-1e77-4977-adff-7a90d56152db

Kild fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 25, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ttym

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
TCB scans for 396 are up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Phantom Troupe is what they called their childhood amateur theatrical group no you can't do this to my heart.