Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
You hear "sistren" used as a singular in reggae, but I don't know if it's common in Patois or a Rasta thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-yZdJrgXdk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Where's the "help identify this bug" thread?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Critterquest should probably be able to figure it out.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Alternatively, the small questions thread in Cavern of COBOL.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i ordered some new shirts and i like them except they have breast pockets. can they be removed without them looking hosed up where the stitches are? here's one of the shirts

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

They will definitely look weird where the stitch was, and the fabric may be slightly looser there too which will look even weirder.

Sorry but it's the a reason you specifically ordered breast pocket shirts if you don't want the pockets?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the pocket isn't mentioned in the description and is not easy to see on the image

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

butt dickus posted:

the pocket isn't mentioned in the description and is not easy to see on the image

Oh drat you're right lol, sorry I hadn't clicked the link. Get your poo poo together land's end.

I'd return them or learn to like the pockets. I personally love breast pockets.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

just go all in on the breast pocket thing, get a pocket protector and a bunch of pens and poo poo

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there's a piece of metal that used to go on this zipper that came off - I can't find it, but I still have the pull itself. would it be best to just put some thread through the tiny hole at the top, and then attach the pull to that?

I think the piece that I lost is the "crown" and the pull is the "tab" in this diagram https://www.qualityzipper.com/aboutzipper.php

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Here's the finished Song Book I mentioned a while ago, 430 pages and about 800 tunes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/143aC5HiwBkFIPDEvc5iW2V1CLQyK7UjZ/view?usp=share_link

And here's the corresponding playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/71hVBwQd7D4nCcySJLsv9C?si=c8e51f50b7754af5.

Hope it's of some use to people.

Hahahaha man this is awesome, definitely will put this to use! Thank you!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

there's a piece of metal that used to go on this zipper that came off - I can't find it, but I still have the pull itself. would it be best to just put some thread through the tiny hole at the top, and then attach the pull to that?

I think the piece that I lost is the "crown" and the pull is the "tab" in this diagram https://www.qualityzipper.com/aboutzipper.php

That’s what I’d do. Probably a paper clip or key ring or something though, since thread will get chewed up real quick

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tuyop posted:

That’s what I’d do. Probably a paper clip or key ring or something though, since thread will get chewed up real quick

ok, thanks. the hole is really tiny, too small for a paper clip i think

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Someone left this throw blanket at my work; nobody ever claimed it, so I took it home. Couple of questions: 1) is it crocheted or knitted? 2) how do you wash something like this, and is there any safe way to make it softer? As pretty as I think it is it has a real stiff, scratchy feel.

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 19, 2022

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Not an expert, but that looks knitted to me. My wife, the knitter, uses this stuff called eucalan and hand washes it in a bucket, then air dries it flat. That seems to work quite well.

Some stuff she does in the washer on gentle, but I'm led to believe that has to do with the type of yarn oraybe types of knit pattern? Either way, the hand washing with the Eucalan, which doesn't have to be rinsed is the safest way to go.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Thank you! :)

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I'm 98% sure that's crocheted, based on similarity to a tablecloth my mom has that was made by my aunt.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Washing knitted/crocheted stuff is completely dependent on the yarn. It's common to include the packaging when gifting homemade stuff for this reason.

Generally though, cotton is cotton and wool is wool, so either 40 degrees or cold. Synthetics are heresy.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I do both crafts, and that's definitely crocheted.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

I do both crafts, and that's definitely crocheted.

Oh wow, that means it was done by hand then, right? Feel bad that someone left it behind.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Odds are excellent that it was done by hand regardless of the specific technique. And yeah, it's a real shame that whoever lost it lost it. Take good care of it.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I don't think it's a throw blanket though. Making a guestimate about its size, it looks like a decorative tablecloth, the kind you'd put down when you're not actively using the table. Crocheted decorations were a big thing about 40 years ago, as a revival of earlier styles. I remember my grandmother making a set of crocheted window curtains for my mom.
I very much doubt it was intended to be used as a blanket, which fits with how scratchy it is. I don't know how well it would hold up structurally if you would use it as a blanket, but be mindful that crocheted pieces collect SO MUCH dust and grime by just hanging as curtains. All that surface area and structure make it an excellent dust catcher. Using it as a blanket would be even worse.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

artsy fartsy posted:

Oh wow, that means it was done by hand then, right? Feel bad that someone left it behind.

Yeah, machine crochet isn't a thing! There's machines that can mimic crochet but not to the extent of producing that particular item, patterns like that are worked outwards from the centre of one of those circles surrounded by dense tall stitches and as far as I know no machine can handle the exact hook placement needed

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Such Fun posted:

I very much doubt it was intended to be used as a blanket, which fits with how scratchy it is. I don't know how well it would hold up structurally if you would use it as a blanket, but be mindful that crocheted pieces collect SO MUCH dust and grime by just hanging as curtains. All that surface area and structure make it an excellent dust catcher. Using it as a blanket would be even worse.

I'm just draping it over the back of my sofa, it adds some really pretty visual interest. But yeah, definitely not good as something to wrap yourself in. It's kind of odd that it was even at my work (I work at a campground, but some of those RVers bring all kinds of stuff to make their set-up homey.)

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
I couldn’t find a thread for gift ideas, so apologies if there’s a better place to ask this:

Are there any animal sanctuaries or shelters I can donate to that provide regular updates or similar benefits? I want to do a good deed for Christmas and if the recipient (a teenager) can get something fun out of it, that’s a plus.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

why not give the greatest gift of all: yourself :angel:

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

I think Jesus has given enough

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Why are some figures in historical portrait photographs posed with one hand sticking into their coat? I'm thinking primarily of the famous portrait of General Sherman but I'm pretty sure there are other examples as well. Sherman in particular looks like he's gripping a concealed pistol which is appropriately badass but is that the actual reason for the pose? Did guys just walk around like that because it looked cool?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Mister Speaker posted:

Why are some figures in historical portrait photographs posed with one hand sticking into their coat? I'm thinking primarily of the famous portrait of General Sherman but I'm pretty sure there are other examples as well. Sherman in particular looks like he's gripping a concealed pistol which is appropriately badass but is that the actual reason for the pose? Did guys just walk around like that because it looked cool?

I don’t have an answer to your question but a wedding photographer made me do that pose in a group portrait with the other groomsman and I think it looks ridiculous.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 21, 2022

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand-in-waistcoat

quote:

The pose traces back to classical times – Aeschines, founder of a rhetoric school, suggested that speaking with an arm outside one's chiton was bad manners.[3] The pose was used in 18th-century British portraiture as a sign that the sitter was from the upper class.[1] An early 18th-century guide on "genteel behavior" noted the pose denoted "manly boldness tempered with modesty."[3][4] Art historian Arline Meyer has argued that – in addition to mirroring actual social behaviour or borrowing from classical statuary – the pose became a visualization of English national character in the post-Restoration period; in the context of increasing Anglo-French rivalry, the pose promoted "a natural, modest, and reticent image that was sanctioned by classical precedent" in contrast to "the gestural exuberance of the French rhetorical style with its Catholic and absolutist associations".[5]

I added the quote for people skimming the thread.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 21, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Wow that's fascinating, thanks!!!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I don’t have an answer to your question but a wedding photographer made me do that pose in a group portrait with the other groomsman and I think it looks ridiculous.

Maybe the 'Al Bundy' is the modern answer to this.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

On what occasions would a yacht club/marina in Connecticut, US fire a cannon (with a powder charge but no projectile) pointed out over the water? In Stamford, they just fired it around 13:10 or 13:50 local time, and it's a frequent occurrence on various days at various times.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Is OneDrive useful?

I recently got a new laptop that I'm using exclusively for school, audio editing, writing, and database stuff. I thought it would be handy to be synced with a cloud so I wouldn't lose this data... but after I turned on OneDrive, the first thing it did was upload my entire audacity folder, which is several dozen gigabytes-full of raw audio, and as a consequence I get nonstop nagging from OneDrive that it's full and also my mobile data for my phone is sucked dry. I guess I didn't expect it to try to clone my entire hard drive. Now I can't seem to turn the motherfucker off, or at least it keeps turning itself on. When I de-sync a folder my computer freezes up for like eight minutes and then the folder re-syncs itself and uploads the seven gigabytes back to the cloud that it just removed.

Maybe I just really don't get it, but I also never hear anyone talk about it, like it's a useful thing. So far I sure don't find it useful but maybe I just hosed up.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

credburn posted:

Is OneDrive useful?

I recently got a new laptop that I'm using exclusively for school, audio editing, writing, and database stuff. I thought it would be handy to be synced with a cloud so I wouldn't lose this data... but after I turned on OneDrive, the first thing it did was upload my entire audacity folder, which is several dozen gigabytes-full of raw audio, and as a consequence I get nonstop nagging from OneDrive that it's full and also my mobile data for my phone is sucked dry. I guess I didn't expect it to try to clone my entire hard drive. Now I can't seem to turn the motherfucker off, or at least it keeps turning itself on. When I de-sync a folder my computer freezes up for like eight minutes and then the folder re-syncs itself and uploads the seven gigabytes back to the cloud that it just removed.

Maybe I just really don't get it, but I also never hear anyone talk about it, like it's a useful thing. So far I sure don't find it useful but maybe I just hosed up.

It's 'what if dropbox, but less user control, and integrated deeply into windows in ways you can't disable.'

And to make matters worse, there's two flavors of it, blue and white.
White is normal, blue is Office 365, but can also be onedrive for businesses, which is actually sharepoint but with a name chosen to be as confusing as possible.

To make it clear where I stand: loving hate it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Onedrive, dropbox, google drive are all basically the exact same thing with varying levels of software interface shittiness. I think onedrive gets an extra does of shittiness since it's owned by MS and they get to push it as part of Windows instead of a standalone app that users have to choose to install and will uninstall if it annoys them.
You should be able to somehow turn off all that stupid sync stuff and get it to just handle a single "OneDrive" folder and nothing else, which is how I personally use Google Drive, and it's pretty handy there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Onedrive, dropbox, google drive are all basically the exact same thing with varying levels of software interface shittiness. I think onedrive gets an extra does of shittiness since it's owned by MS and they get to push it as part of Windows instead of a standalone app that users have to choose to install and will uninstall if it annoys them.
You should be able to somehow turn off all that stupid sync stuff and get it to just handle a single "OneDrive" folder and nothing else, which is how I personally use Google Drive, and it's pretty handy there.

That makes sense. If I could just assign it a single folder or drive where I just dump poo poo, that sounds useful. I didn't realize it was the same gimmick as Google Drive or Dropbox; I thought this was something else, like a Windows built-in Bonzai Buddy.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

my only experience with any of these cloud file managers is dropbox like 5yr ago, and god was it awful. like it would just eat processor and slow my computer down all the time.

are they still as bad about that?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

GWBBQ posted:

On what occasions would a yacht club/marina in Connecticut, US fire a cannon (with a powder charge but no projectile) pointed out over the water? In Stamford, they just fired it around 13:10 or 13:50 local time, and it's a frequent occurrence on various days at various times.

JFK's Assassination, maybe? It did happen shortly after 12:30 CST, which would be about the time you mentioned EST

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Yes, the classic Commemorative JFK Assassination Cannon Firing. Most yacht clubs do this. Big Lee Harvey Oswald Fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's definitely just a cool historical piece they have and shoot off for events or school kids. Might be calling the start or finish of a race. Or the changing of the yacht club chair for the year. Or the start of the annual ice cream social.