Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

"Mr. Davis, the president of the Boring Company, has also directed Twitter employees to renegotiate the deals that the company has with firms such as Amazon and Oracle, which provide computing and tech services, the people said. The employees were told to suggest to those companies that Mr. Musk’s firms would not work with them in the future if they refused to renegotiate, the people said."

I hope they tell him to eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elon420DogeLord posted:

hey everyone! I am new here this looks like a cool, chill relaxing spot!! I heard there was a lot of chatter here, but, after reading most of the last 412 pages overnight on a combination of adderall and Hardcore Buisness Sense, you're dumb fucks who do not understand, at all, the GRAVITY and IMPORTANCE of what is happening at twitter.

this is a revolution happening, it is not televised, it's happening! Sam Bankman got Fried trying to stop this, nothing is stopping this, and Tesla is gonna buy this website too.

just relax! Be chill, (don't) be (overtly) racist and keep those dog whistles close at hand and we can all have fun!

I am a cool dude! I like weed! I once had sex with a POPULAR MUSIC PRODUCER. You people are nothing

edit: if anyone threatens me I am loving calling my ((lawyer)) and you can be god drat sure they make more in a day than you do in a miserable year

k

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol yeah I’m sure you can bully Amazon into a better deal

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol yeah I’m sure you can bully Amazon into a better deal

Same with Oracle, a company that is famous for being a nightmare to migrate away from.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

"Second worst" Im curious what he thinks number 1 is now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Everyone knows that when you buy a business you don't inherit any of their debt

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Someone is going to start a go fund me to pay Elon’s Twitter bills.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

massive spider posted:

"Second worst" Im curious what he thinks number 1 is now.

AOL-Time Warner wrote down $99 billion in under a year after their $165 billion merger

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

pixaal posted:

Same with Oracle, a company that is famous for being a nightmare to migrate away from.

it was actually pretty easy, once all my RSUs had vested I just put in a generous 4-week notice period that included a week of paid vacation, and then quit and went to work for someone else (who turned out to be even MORE dolled up with the military industrial complex, what a world it is!!! :allears:)

bobjr posted:

Someone is going to start a go fund me to pay Elon’s Twitter bills.

this sounds like a great idea and I will start researching wire fraud laws so I know how to do this legally and keep most of the money

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I don’t think this thread needs an unfunny gimmick account but maybe that’s just me.

Thundercracker posted:

"Mr. Davis, the president of the Boring Company, has also directed Twitter employees to renegotiate the deals that the company has with firms such as Amazon and Oracle, which provide computing and tech services, the people said. The employees were told to suggest to those companies that Mr. Musk’s firms would not work with them in the future if they refused to renegotiate, the people said."

Ah yes two companies well known for playing soft and being nice.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

to join our team on maintenance of the BEAK process (double checking coffee orders for teh rest of the teams at twtiter) you must undergo an elaborate scarification ritual inherited from an ancient indonesian tribe, to fail is to die

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

mysterious frankie posted:

Trent was 100% into the sordid details of the property, at least initially, which isn't weird for an edge lord 20 something Industrial guy in 1992. After leasing the place, he christened it Le Pig, referencing the word written in Tate's blood on the front door (he also had multiple songs using pig imagery on The Downward Spiral, which he produced there).

His mind was changed after being chewed out by Tate's sister in 1993; shortly after the confrontation he moved out, then later gave an interview where he showed contrition about previously being an ignorant dickhead. So, he's willing to listen to other people and change his mind. He's a good guy, or at least isn't a total piece of poo poo.

THAT SAID, he still bought the front door, and had it installed at his New Orleans studio, so... you know. I don't doubt that he regretted being so tasteless and insensitive in the past, but I also don't doubt that he thought keeping a piece of the murder house was at least a little badass.

Neat. I never knew the whole story behind this.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:hmbol:

Imagine getting owned so thoroughly by Wesley Crusher, holy poo poo

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Thundercracker posted:

"We aren't going to pay you and if you don't like it we arent going to use your service that we decided to not pay you for in the future"

This is how alphas negotiate. you're welcome for the free lesson. :smug:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

MrQwerty posted:

AOL-Time Warner wrote down $99 billion in under a year after their $165 billion merger

And I once worked at a DIFFERENT company for 2 people who had been fired (and investigated and subpoened by the SEC!!) over this exact deal. Was a total scam, IIRC the deal was, AOL inflated its stock price by making illegal advertising agreements that boiled down to "if you pay us $1,000,000 then we give you Trusted Partner status and we'll highlight you in search results. ALSO WE WILL PAY YOU $1,000,000 FOR BEING A TRUSTED PARTNER! So, our revenue goes up, so does yours, and no money has to change hands!

...Also, if this sounds weird or fucky to you, that's fine, but then not only are you not a Trusted Partner, we might deprioritize or delist you in search"

this ended up squarely in front of the SEC and I was able to find legal proceeding documents on DOJ.gov listing both my skiplevel and his boss as people who were directly involved and blamed by the SEC. My skiplevel more or less got sent to work in the TWC version of Siberia for a few years, but, they ended up back together at a non profit I worked at, doing their same scammy poo poo.

It ultimately created a toxic culture where enough reliable on shore people had been replaced by bad, zero-bid offshore contractors that everyone who was still left and thought they might have better options (like me!) jumped ship. Took about 6 months for 2 shitheads to completely destroy what had been a vibrant and fiscally reasonable set of development teams and replace them with pocket-padding offshore grift. This did not save the NPO money it just redistributed some of it to managers who were overseeing generally worse code from overseas. Also I have worked with many extremely competant overseas teams that are as good as any US team, but, "no bid crony contracts" are not how you find good people.

I am sure this has no relation to what's going on at the birb site :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 22, 2022

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011

Wil Weaton is a dickhead but for once hes right, so, don't shut up Wesley

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Thundercracker posted:

Ah yes the trump approach

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Techbro douchebag SEC stuff

lmao how do these people keep finding work after losing that much money that fast, HOW

I mean, I know how, but gently caress me man

$99b in 2000 is $171b right now, so even with Elon's $100b net worth loss and $44b loss on twitter, he's still $27b short of the speedrun

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

Larry Ellison is a chud and notorious rear end in a top hat so I can see him bailing out his buddy here.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Ah yes two companies well known for playing soft and being nice.

It'll be great. Elon's starting a slapfight with a rival billionaire who fancies himself a feudal Japanese warlord? Sounds like prime comedy to me!

e:

mobby_6kl posted:

Larry Ellison is a chud and notorious rear end in a top hat so I can see him bailing out his buddy here.

True but all those katanas and superyachts named after katanas don't pay for themselves

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 22, 2022

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

pixaal posted:

Oracle loving sucks to work with, I have no idea why anyone chooses to at this point. My employer is extremely willing to let employees work with whatever techstacks and frameworks they are familiar with or think would work best, but Oracle is a hard no after some bad experiences with them a decade or so before I started.

Deki fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 22, 2022

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

mobby_6kl posted:

He is an investor in this farce.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deki posted:

Oracle loving sucks to work with, I have no idea why anyone chooses to at this point.

Mongodb

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Deki posted:

Oracle loving sucks to work with, I have no idea why anyone chooses to at this point. My employer is extremely willing to let employees work with whatever techstacks and frameworks they are familiar with or think would work best, but Oracle is a hard no after some bad experiences with them a decade or so before I started.

I have to use JD Edwards for inventory at work and it will be the part of my job I miss the absolute least when this plant shuts down

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cabbages and Kings posted:

My skiplevel more or less got sent to work in the TWC version of Siberia for a few years, but, they ended up back together at a non profit I worked at, doing their same scammy poo poo.

What is it about non-profits that attracts garbage people?

zhar
May 3, 2019

PITY BONER posted:

I can't find the source, but there's hearsay going around the Signal guy said he has no idea what Musk is talking about, which would be so on-brand for Musk's boasting.

EDIT: Close -- Signal said no.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/11/musk-paid-checkmarks-wont-return-until-twitter-can-stop-impersonation/

LOL. "Good luck, dipshits!"

this seems like it could just be bad journalism. the ars article cites this claiming Musk said signal would potentially work with him, but using the power of basic literacy I have concluded that article actually said the creator of signal, Moxie Marlinspike (who left signal earlier this year) has said he would potentially work with him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zhar posted:

this seems like it could just be bad journalism. the ars article cites this claiming Musk said signal would potentially work with him, but using the power of basic literacy I have concluded that article actually said the creator of signal, Moxie Marlinspike (who left signal earlier this year) has said he would potentially work with him.
A Marlinspike collaboration with a Boer? Blistering barnacles

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TulliusCicero posted:

:hmbol:

Imagine getting owned so thoroughly by Wesley Crusher, holy poo poo

And making Scott Galloway seem like the sage voice of reason to boot!

And they’re both 100% correct.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

And Trump has a business degree. It doesn't mean anything.
Yes, that was the point I was making.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Dear Elon,
This week I was very productive. Attached is a list of the StackOverflow pages I copy-pasted from.
Love,
Stoaty xoxo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

he gonna discover PHP str_contains and poo poo his pants

crispix fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 22, 2022

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

I have to use JD Edwards for inventory at work and it will be the part of my job I miss the absolute least when this plant shuts down

This bring up another point. JD Edwards, NetSuite etc have ways to easily avoid issuing the command of "Everyone send an email to Elon on Friday so he knows what you're all doing". Using Project Management or whatever, every employee can go into the Project or Team or Dept and update what they're working on and it's all sorted and sortable with various data entry fields. Then the CEO (or whoever) can easily run through what's being worked on, and search for specifics instead of trying to scan through thousands of emails.
You'd think the Twitter IT dept (or what's left of it) would have explained this to the new owner.

/end rant

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Comedy biopic of Elon's life starring Seth MacFarlane, when?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I would much rather Matt Berry play Elon. I think he'd do it wonderfully. Look at his role in IT crowd it has a lot of the right stuff already.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

lmao how do these people keep finding work after losing that much money that fast, HOW

so the real funny thing is -- at the org I worked at, the "super corrupt" TWC guy was brought in as a contractor, to work under the "somewhat less corrupt" TWC guy*, and his advice as a contractor was to hire him as a VP for $200k/yr (2010 money). Which happened, and then yes it all went off the rails and the "super corrupt" guy put a $600 espresso machine on his desk the same day he did a round of layoffs. I was trying to just leave and not piss anyone off, but when my own boss really pushed me, I cited the distastefulness of that action as a "cultural shift" I didn't want to be around.

Anyway, when I had my exit interview with Super Corrupt guy -- who I had built up into my head into sort of a Darth Vader Blows Up Alderaan bad guy -- all he wanted to talk about was how my questioning of his espresso machine "hurt his feelings" and YES HE USED THOSE EXACT WORDS

I was pretty speechless, it was like seeing Vader with his mask off as a pathetic dried up husk. Like, this dude was making 4x my salary, had fired a bunch of people at and above my level for bad reasons, and had the fuckin audacity to tell me I "hurt his feelings" :allears: -- my heart loving bleeds for you.

I looked these assholes up on LinkedIn and it looks like the super corrupt dude shifted from the NPO to full time management of.... the contracting company he brought in no-bid. Probably easier to skim profits there, than at a NPO!

* also worth noting: at TWC, the heirarchy was reversed, and Super Corrupt was the boss of Somewhat Less Corrupt. The stink of the SEC deal had tarnished him more, though, from looking at linkedin, not enough to clearly be making mid-six-digits doing the same fuckin poo poo he was 10 years ago. This is the only bridge I've ever burned hardcore in my professional career because I really think I would rather go do difficult manual labor for a pay cut than ever work for that fucker again.

edit: if any of my former NPO coworkers read this, PM me, I have a lit facebook group for you :laugh:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Outrail posted:

People doing recruiting have zero interview or hiring experience and just get wowed by puffy private sector bullshit

Then there's no oversight once the sharks are in and management has no idea how to remove bad actors, if they even admit there's a problem

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Lowen SoDium posted:

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1590847377597878272

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Elon hard at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Outrail posted:

I don't think this is exactly true, always. I worked at one NPO that was run out of an incubator at my college, was doing medical data analytics to track and improve outcomes, CEO and whole mgmt team had relevant clinical and or technical backgrounds. 70-80 person org and it continued to operate for 15 years after I left before being spun off into something the college sold for money.

The other NPO was generally much larger but more or less all the engineers and some of the management really believed in the mission and doing the best work we could. On the other hand, you had one lovely ex-TWC guy, who got his foot far enough in the door to bring in another lovely ex-TWC guy to help loot the place and destroy the onshore teams, and they were quite successful. But, I think the same thing happens in for-profits all the time, and, in fact, it may be easier in some cases to skim and scam for-profits than NPOs.

greazeball posted:

People doing recruiting have zero interview or hiring experience and just get wowed by puffy private sector bullshit

Then there's no oversight once the sharks are in and management has no idea how to remove bad actors, if they even admit there's a problem

In my case I disagree with the first with the obvious exception that this rear end in a top hat got in without anyone googling (hisname + "SEC" + "DOJ"). But yes, the second thing is absolutely what happened.

We had great windows at that place so like 80% of engineering preferred to work with the lovely overheads off. This drove Super Corrupt Guy CRAZY. He lost the battle, but I remember one day, he just passive aggressively turned the lights on, and when someone calmly went and turned them off, he bellowed, "YOU... MUSHROOMS!" from his office. Just lol.