Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Tactics Ogre units will have an alignment, it isn't good/evil but law/chaos, where the former is that you abide by society and the latter is about having personal freedom. There is a character who is law alignment in the first chapter, if you make a certain choice at the end she renounces serving under her duke and next time you see her, her alignment changes from law to neutral. Thought that was a neat touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Leal posted:

In Tactics Ogre units will have an alignment, it isn't good/evil but law/chaos, where the former is that you abide by society and the latter is about having personal freedom. There is a character who is law alignment in the first chapter, if you make a certain choice at the end she renounces serving under her duke and next time you see her, her alignment changes from law to neutral. Thought that was a neat touch.

What's most frustrating is that this character only veers away from being lawful if you go through with the lawful choices

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

What's most frustrating is that this character only veers away from being lawful if you go through with the lawful choices

I have never touched a Tactics Ogre, but I could see that working in a "becoming disgusted with the consequences of upholding a corrupt system" kind of way

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Stray has a lot of small neat things, but my favorite so far is standing in the way of walking robots causing them to trip and fall.

Tried it again and the robot has now learned how to keep his balance.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

jokes posted:

Well if you reject the lawful choices she just gets loving murderered by the same people you're rejecting. She probably would have been on your side but doesn't get the chance. I am not sure why they felt she should only appear in one route, but I haven't gotten to use her out side of chapter 1 because of my reluctance to embrace war crimes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cyberpunk 2077 has had a strange and unexpected little effect: I'm noticing the interplay of light, reflection, and color around me in the actual world a lot more

a kitten has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Nov 15, 2022

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Phy posted:

I have never touched a Tactics Ogre, but I could see that working in a "becoming disgusted with the consequences of upholding a corrupt system" kind of way

Pretty much. The lawful character obeys their lord even when he says kill innocent people, while the chaotic one rejects his lord becomes a pariah and scapegoat trying to prove his innocence. The Neutral route spins off the chaotic route when you throw away your principals to rejoin the lord you rejected in the beginning.

The lawful route does find principals and tries to redeem himself, and can work with other people who felt they had to do the "hard man, hard choices" act and found it wanting. He doesn't stay a lapdog.

If it helps, the game is explicitly inspired by the war and genocide in Yugoslavia and Bosnia in the 90s. It is a fantasy game but very much about real poo poo.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Nov 15, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the game explicitly inspired the war and genocide in yugoslavia and bosnia??

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Genocide Bosnia!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

gamers rise up

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol I meant "by" what a word to leave out

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

beats for junkies posted:

You're joking but it's actually Dick Night. Well, it's Richard, but I had to try and make it funnier.

Dick "Ryder" Night

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

a kitten posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 has had a strange and unexpected little effect: I'm noticing the interplay of light, reflection, and color around me a lot more

Double check that you didn't take DMT and aren't sitting in front of a powered off monitor. Easy mistake to make!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Pokemon Scarlet has a lot of problems where the ambition exceeded the execution and hardware but the series does continue to deliver on cute and gay

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I find really funny in the new God of War is the part where Atreus has to explain to a third party that Kratos sometimes just wanders off because he's looking for loot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Shiroc posted:

Pokemon Scarlet has a lot of problems where the ambition exceeded the execution and hardware but the series does continue to deliver on cute and gay

The first little bit where they let you walk around with all three starters is really clever and really mean, because it gives you exactly enough time with them to feel sad you're leaving them behind.

Fuecoco's such an idiot, I genuinely felt bad not picking him!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this! posted:

One thing I find really funny in the new God of War is the part where Atreus has to explain to a third party that Kratos sometimes just wanders off because he's looking for loot.

“…but the shrine is right over there!”

“Yeah, he’s like that”

Ragnarok has a lot more meta moments than 2018

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Saints Row 2022: That objectives for Venture side missions are not always just X specific places. It's nice that I can position, say, the toxic waste site at any location and will always have enough toxic trucks located sorta-kinda near the location.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Cleretic posted:

The first little bit where they let you walk around with all three starters is really clever and really mean, because it gives you exactly enough time with them to feel sad you're leaving them behind.

Fuecoco's such an idiot, I genuinely felt bad not picking him!

I liked how they immediately had the others get trainer buddies so I didn't feel guilty.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Another Pokemon one: Terastallizing is genuinely the most interesting 'escalation' mechanic they've come up with. For a brief explanation: every Pokemon has a 'Tera Type', and you can Terastallize one Pokemon per match to give them that type on top of their existing ones. Most Pokemon just get one of their existing types which just make that one stronger, but you can catch some that have different Tera Types, which is where poo poo gets really weird because suddenly every single matchup that exists for them changes completely, and I think drat near every Pokemon that exists can have any (I'm not sure about legendaries). Oh, you thought you had a favorable matchup against this identifiable Steel-type? Now it's Water-type too; what now, motherfucker!?

After Mega-evolutions that basically only benefitted Pokemon that didn't need it, Z-moves that just amped up a single move of a type you already figured a Pokemon has, and Dynamaxing that was just not really interesting beyond spectacle (and also kinda broke single battles), I love that they've found a gimmick that's equal-opportunity and has really interesting tactical implications.

The first gym I faced was the Grass-type gym, which used it in the best way it could've: Giving Sudowoodo, the Rock-type that's pretending to be a tree, a Grass Tera type. Thematically, the absolute perfect way to use it... and also Grass and Rock are a pretty good combo at covering each other's weaknesses, so he's probably gonna gently caress you up pretty hard.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

There's one key issue that it has and that's that the way it works is actually really dumb, it only overwrites the main type no matter what. So that example you provided doesn't actually work that way, it just turns him into a pure grass type that dies as easily as the rest the idea is still super good and probably will do a ton for competitive but it sadly doesn't allow you to turn monotypes into dual types.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The new Pokemon has a dolphin Pokemon. At its first form it is just a dumb happy looking dolphin. Its second form is... a dumb happy looking dolphin but it has a heart on its chest. The trick comes however with its unique ability.

If you take it out of battle and then put it back in, it returns as a gaudy buff superhero dolphin. You literally have to let it run away so it can change out of its normal outfit into its superman disguise.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ImpAtom posted:

The new Pokemon has a dolphin Pokemon. At its first form it is just a dumb happy looking dolphin. Its second form is... a dumb happy looking dolphin but it has a heart on its chest. The trick comes however with its unique ability.

If you take it out of battle and then put it back in, it returns as a gaudy buff superhero dolphin. You literally have to let it run away so it can change out of its normal outfit into its superman disguise.

Which reminds me of probably the best new Pokemon idea in the game. The second generation brought Dunsparce, a Pokemon based on a tsuchinoko that honestly has never been any good, although it does have access to a relatively decent gimmick. It's always been on people's radar as a perfect choice for a new spin, be it a regional form of evolution, although it never got one.

Until now! After all these years, it's finally got an evolution!

It evolves into Dudunsparce, which looks exactly the same as Dunsparce but has an extra body segment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm coming to appreciate that with the supports in Fire Emblem: Three Hopes, they're confirming that Ingrid isn't straight. She prefers men, but she does have a particular type of woman that she's okay with. It's a degree of nuance with video game depictions of sexuality that I do rather appreciate. She's not equal opportunity, there's just qualities in both genders that she's attracted to. Much to Dorothea's frustration from Three Houses, Dorothea just isn't the kind of woman whom Ingrid finds attractive and wants to have a relationship with.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Cyberpunk 2077:

I tried, really tried to not punch Fingers this time and sat through all his wheedlng but I had to reload so I could punch Fingers because in a city full of pieces of poo poo he is particularly unseemly.
A really uncomfortable scene no matter how it plays out

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've had a number of complaints about GOW Ragnarok, but one thing I'm liking is how it freshens up the character roles during combat and adventuring sequences. First, you start getting to play as Atreus sometimes, which is nice because he feels a bit different than Kratos since he uses a bow. But then, they start mixing it up with either Kratos or Atreus getting paired with a different character for a while. It's generally not too long-lived for each one, and the other characters mostly just act as a different flavor of punchy NPC during combat, but it livens things up to have other people around for a while. Especially since the characters cover a whole range of how friendly/antagonistic they are towards you in general.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

NonzeroCircle posted:

Cyberpunk 2077:

I tried, really tried to not punch Fingers this time and sat through all his wheedlng but I had to reload so I could punch Fingers because in a city full of pieces of poo poo he is particularly unseemly.
A really uncomfortable scene no matter how it plays out

i beat him to death after judy left the room :toot:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fingers isn’t really any worse than the average blue-light special Night City businessman but he’s just so gross about it

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cleretic posted:

Another Pokemon one: Terastallizing is genuinely the most interesting 'escalation' mechanic they've come up with. For a brief explanation: every Pokemon has a 'Tera Type', and you can Terastallize one Pokemon per match to give them that type on top of their existing ones. Most Pokemon just get one of their existing types which just make that one stronger, but you can catch some that have different Tera Types, which is where poo poo gets really weird because suddenly every single matchup that exists for them changes completely, and I think drat near every Pokemon that exists can have any (I'm not sure about legendaries). Oh, you thought you had a favorable matchup against this identifiable Steel-type? Now it's Water-type too; what now, motherfucker!?

Is this just a mechanical change, or does it change the way the pokemon looks too?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Is this just a mechanical change, or does it change the way the pokemon looks too?

It gives them a glowing crystal look, and they wear a silly hat relevant to their new type

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Icedude posted:

It gives them a glowing crystal look, and they wear a silly hat relevant to their new type

Show us the hats, tia

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Show us the hats, tia

They're very extra.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My favorite pokemon type, "balloon" :allears:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
jesus christ eevee got the bling

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

bawk posted:

it’s flying

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kitfox88 posted:

jesus christ eevee got the bling

I haven't seen that in game yet, so I'm assuming it's either 'normal' or 'rock' type.

Bugs me that you can only do that to your pokemon once before having to return to a pokecentre, makes me never want to bust it out except against, like, gym leaders.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

bawk posted:

They added balloons to a balloon Pokemon, what are these Pimp My Ride shenanigans.

Edit: So you can probably add that "fire" chandelier to the chandelier Pokemon as well. Preposterous.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Nov 22, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How else do you make them double-balloon or double-chandelier? NOT add a second one on?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

following the kirby design rules for this mechanic is cool and good, new power = new hat owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Morpheus posted:

I haven't seen that in game yet, so I'm assuming it's either 'normal' or 'rock' type.

Bugs me that you can only do that to your pokemon once before having to return to a pokecentre, makes me never want to bust it out except against, like, gym leaders.

Yeah, Normal is the diamond crown. Rock is a cartoony little Greco-Roman-esque building with columns.

The one that actually kinda threw me when I saw it was thst Ground wears half of a cartoon globe as a hat. I mean yeah, that makes sense and I'm not sure what I'd give it that wouldn't be confused with something else, but I still didn't expect that.