Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

cbt is unironically a very good way to intervene on the anxious/inaccurate thought patterns and perspectives that make us feel bad.

No it's not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

who

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

NeatHeteroDude posted:

cbt is unironically a very good way to intervene on the anxious/inaccurate thought patterns and perspectives that make us feel bad. can't imagine going to a mental health counselor and telling them their poo poo doesn't work lol

cbt does not rise up and eliminate the entire capitalist class in bloody revolution, so at best it's a method of dealing with the symptoms: depression due to having your every waking moment monetized and taken from you to profit the people who got squirted out of the right hole.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Harik posted:

cbt does not rise up and eliminate the entire capitalist class in bloody revolution, so at best it's a method of dealing with the symptoms: depression due to having your every waking moment monetized and taken from you to profit the people who got squirted out of the right hole.

What if you're depressed because you're the only one without a girlfriend at thanksgiving?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

500 good dogs posted:

also kshama sawant is a trot

scama nowant

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NeatHeteroDude posted:

What if you're depressed because you're the only one without a girlfriend at thanksgiving?

it’s a band aid, a painkiller. you’re never going to be satisfied unless you cut the problem off at the root.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Harik posted:

cbt has like 40% efficacy on a good day, because behavior is ecological scale, not individual scale.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I'd say cbt is more like a cast than a painkiller, because it can help people with self-destructive problems like anger management, ocd, agoraphobia, etc figure out ways to be able to navigate the world without hurting themselves so much and eventually healing to the point the cast is no longer necessary. The things that it helps with are basically issues that are maladaptive coping mechanisms from anxiety/depression or trauma.
It's like in darkest dungeon: your units' afflictions are from being in the dungeon, so you treat them at the asylum or whorehouse, then they can go back in the dungeon. You can't get rid of the dungeon. Even communist countries will have a dungeon
So in conclusion cbt is more like a videogame whorehouse than a painkiller

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Voted "5"

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hatebag posted:

cbt can help people with self-destructive problems like anger management, ocd, agoraphobia, etc

No it can't

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!

Harik posted:

lmfao

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

cbt is harmful for some people w/ complex trauma (like, worse in outcome than ignoring the problem) and I think its irresponsible to recommend as a panacea even if it does the trick for 'tfw when no gf'

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

giving cbt worksheets to victims of adhd is abuse

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

using cbt to deal with my life's #1 problem: balls not currently being destroyed

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

how does cspam feel about the mlm community?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
somehow worse the azathoth thread lmbo

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!

JamesKPolk posted:

cbt is harmful for some people w/ complex trauma (like, worse in outcome than ignoring the problem) and I think its irresponsible to recommend as a panacea even if it does the trick for 'tfw when no gf'

wrong

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!
go see a shrink you dorks

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

yeah sorry I just took NHD's word for it it helped with the girlfriend thing, I have no evidence of that

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!

JamesKPolk posted:

yeah sorry I just took NHD's word for it it helped with the girlfriend thing, I have no evidence of that

both cognitive behavioral therapy and cock and ball torture can help with complex trauma what the gently caress are you talking about

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

cbt...? oh, you mean white girl therapy

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
conclusively big titties

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

you know a therapist is a quack if they dont ask you about your dreams

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

JamesKPolk posted:

how does cspam feel about the mlm community?

usually the wrong kind of mao thought. kind of a confusing label usually. should be called polpotheads

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!
gonzaloites hit da bricks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I can’t do CBT because it’s not liberal enough

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
cbt, another frequently confused acronym

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

this thread wants leon to do cbt to them lol

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!
gonzaloites go see a shrink challenge

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cum Blasting Therapy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

croup coughfield posted:

gonzaloites go see a shrink challenge

you can’t consume your way into mental health

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!

mawarannahr posted:

you can’t consume your way into mental health

what does one have to do with the other

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

usually the wrong kind of mao thought. kind of a confusing label usually. should be called polpotheads

this is homophobic and possibly anti-mormon

croup coughfield posted:

both cognitive behavioral therapy and cock and ball torture can help with complex trauma what the gently caress are you talking about

are you familiar with 'dialectical behavioral therapy'? and the reasons for its development? this is a 50 year old concept at this point

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!

JamesKPolk posted:

this is homophobic and possibly anti-mormon

are you familiar with 'dialectical behavioral therapy'? and the reasons for its development? this is a 50 year old concept at this point

i am familiar with it and nevertheless, you are wrong. goodbye

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

croup coughfield posted:

what does one have to do with the other

telling people to go buy therapy isn’t as helpful as one might think

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

are you familiar with 'psychoanalysis'? and the reasons for its development? this is a 120 year old concept at this point

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!

mawarannahr posted:

telling people to go buy therapy isn’t as helpful as one might think

lmfao therapy isnt something you buy. it does cost money, but that is not the same thing. given the enormous and painful amount of work that takes place, i'd argue its the opposite of the kind of passive consumption you're talking about. you dont just sit there and listen to someone tell you all the "right answers". maybe thats what rich assholes get up to or whatever but thats not even close to what therapy is like for a normal person.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

are you familiar with 'psychoanalysis'? and the reasons for its development? this is a 120 year old concept at this point

read Lacan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

croup coughfield posted:

lmfao cock and ball torture isnt something you buy. it does cost money, but that is not the same thing. given the enormous and painful amount of work that takes place, i'd argue its the opposite of the kind of passive consumption you're talking about. you dont just sit there and listen to someone tell you all the "right answers". maybe thats what rich assholes get up to or whatever but thats not even close to what cock and ball torture is like for a normal person.