Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

iamsosmrt posted:

I don't remember the exact details of this episode, but wasn't it at least be an earnest case of "kids being kids?" Unlike the more forced references in later seasons where they make the kids do things that were like memes from 2-3 years prior.

it's also yet another classic simpsons example of kids in the 90s acting like kids in the 50s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Riptor posted:

it's also yet another classic simpsons example of kids in the 90s acting like kids in the 50s

That's also a joke in the scene!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I have very vague memories of playing "Cowboys and Indians" as a kid and I'm only 32. It's weird to look back on and it's absolutely not something I'd want to see going forward, but I feel like it was still kind of normal in the 90s? It depends where you are I guess. What is and isn't acceptable regarding Native Americans doesn't really become common knowledge here in the UK because, well, it's just not on the cultural radar. Same for language/etc regarding Hispanics.

Although the UK is effectively stuck forever in the 50s with occasional sojourns to 1966 and The Beatles so I guess that makes sense.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Riptor posted:

I definitely remember it being pretty mainstream to do "Cowboys and Indian" themed stuff as a kid being n the 90s, even school related. I feel like people forget how heavily pre-internet culture, especially kid stuff was heavily influenced by the prior generations compared to the fast paced smartphone social media age we're in.

I think was normal when you mostly had old re-runs and VHS tapes to rely on when new shows weren't airing. Old WB and Disney cartoons were full of culture and blatant racism.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I have very vague memories of playing "Cowboys and Indians" as a kid and I'm only 32. It's weird to look back on and it's absolutely not something I'd want to see going forward, but I feel like it was still kind of normal in the 90s? It depends where you are I guess. What is and isn't acceptable regarding Native Americans doesn't really become common knowledge here in the UK because, well, it's just not on the cultural radar. Same for language/etc regarding Hispanics.

Although the UK is effectively stuck forever in the 50s with occasional sojourns to 1966 and The Beatles so I guess that makes sense.

Yeah like this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I have some vague memories of Cowboys and Indians from school in the 80's, but that got replaced by things like Ninja Turtles, Star Wars, or Aliens.

If anything it really only made it to the playground via cultural osmosis from the media our parents were still watching that came out of the 60's and 70's

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
We played aliens vs marines I liked being the Alien because I could make up any bullshit power I wanted

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
old westerns occupied massive blocks of 80s TV in the US

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
absolutely indulged in cowboys and Indians in the early 90s. also just "good guys and bad guys."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i wonder what decade kids realized dressing up for another game of diffrentname watergun was an unnecessary step and just skipped it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
children today playing antifas and boogaloos

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Same, I even had a birthday party where I had a teepee in my front yard. None of the kids wanted to be cowboys :v:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

PhazonLink posted:

i wonder what decade kids realized dressing up for another game of diffrentname watergun was an unnecessary step and just skipped it.

we never dressed up, it was just a way to split up "teams"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Moon Monster posted:

Same, I even had a birthday party where I had a teepee in my front yard. None of the kids wanted to be cowboys :v:

That was a scene in Parasite.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Riptor posted:

And that just reminds me of the Stickball joke.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That was a scene in Parasite.

Never seen parasite, should I sue john Parasite for plagiarizing my life?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No, just be sure to check your basement

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My friend had a pirate themed birthday party one year, and we split up into teams based upon the color of our eye patches.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Friends and I always pretended to be animals because animal subsets are immediately cooler than any human subset.
Fightin' over who's the better big cat.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Das Boo posted:

Friends and I always pretended to be animals because animal subsets are immediately cooler than any human subset.
Fightin' over who's the better big cat.

Garfield, duh

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

do we have any good thanksgiving episodes? it probably might not count, but for me i've always liked watching the episode with mr. burns' son around this time. it wasn't specifically thanksgiving related but it did start off celebrating autumn so i feel it's close enough

iamsosmrt posted:

I don't remember the exact details of this episode, but wasn't it at least be an earnest case of "kids being kids?" Unlike the more forced references in later seasons where they make the kids do things that were like memes from 2-3 years prior.

i believe it was the episode where bart meets and falls in love with reverent lovejoy's daughter. the kids are playing right before church stars. and yeah, there wasn't anything particularly offensive or mean spirted about that.

as for the broader discussion, i'm 38 and i've never played that particular game as a kid. but to be honest, i don't remember much about non-video game related activities we did aside from freeze tag and hide and seek.

Empty Sandwich posted:

children today playing antifas and boogaloos

cops and blm

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

do we have any good thanksgiving episodes? it probably might not count, but for me i've always liked watching the episode with mr. burns' son around this time. it wasn't specifically thanksgiving related but it did start off celebrating autumn so i feel it's close enough
Thanksgiving of Horror from season 31 was decent for modern Simpsons. That's the only Thanksgiving episode they've done since season 2's Bart vs Thanksgiving.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Let's be honest they all play imagination Fortnite.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Isn’t cowboys and Indians used in that scene just as a setup for Milhouse to call it a corny old game (and then play jacks instead)? And so Nelson can shoot that space gun because “records from that era are spotty, at best”. I think it’s supposed to be unexpected and anachronistic to add to the humor.

The classic simpsons writers seem to like that kind of thing anyway, they have those kids playing stickball arcade by the tenements and Martin pushing the hoop with a stick and stuff like that lol. I think it’s just fun for them to write, like how mr. burns’ old expressions and habits are just funny on their own.

e: it’s also weird that at that point in time the writers were recounting the childhoods of their own parents and grandparents who could’ve actually grown up like that, and now those days are mostly just a historical concept instead of someone’s memories. And the same show has existed ceaselessly throughout that transition! Seems like a good indicator that it’s been on for too long but I’m no hotshot tv executive.

gamer roomie is 41 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 22, 2022

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

but I’m no hotshot tv executive.

Well neither are the Simpsons producers.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

okay, i gots me a question

yesterday i saw the episode where barney decides he doesn't wanna be a drunk anymore and gets helicopter lessons. i swore i thought this was one of those episode i described a few times in this thread where i missed repeated airings for whatever reason and only caught some portions. nope! turns out i recall seeing over 90% of the episode. but the issue here is that i was confusing that episode with ANOTHER episode where barney attempts to be sober and pilots a helicopter. yes, i swear to god there's another episode like that. maybe not identical to this one, but with those two specific things also included.

anyone know what episode i'm talking about?

J-Spot posted:

Thanksgiving of Horror from season 31 was decent for modern Simpsons. That's the only Thanksgiving episode they've done since season 2's Bart vs Thanksgiving.

wow that's...rather surprising that they haven't done much in the way of thanksgiving specials at all after all this time...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think maybe they just had barney sober for a while and during that time the occasionally just had on screen references to him flying helicopters. If it happened it was after the good seasons so wasn't really paying any attention to the Simpsons any more so memories very hazy about it all.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

okay, i gots me a question

yesterday i saw the episode where barney decides he doesn't wanna be a drunk anymore and gets helicopter lessons. i swore i thought this was one of those episode i described a few times in this thread where i missed repeated airings for whatever reason and only caught some portions. nope! turns out i recall seeing over 90% of the episode. but the issue here is that i was confusing that episode with ANOTHER episode where barney attempts to be sober and pilots a helicopter. yes, i swear to god there's another episode like that. maybe not identical to this one, but with those two specific things also included.

anyone know what episode i'm talking about?

You're probably thinking of season 16's She Used to Be My Girl. He sobers up and pilots a helicopter to save his old high school girlfriend from a volcano.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It’s fun to think about all these terrible multiple-episode-spanning subplots that happened after the simpsons got really bad. Had no idea Barney became a helicopter pilot.. Any others that stand out?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

It’s fun to think about all these terrible multiple-episode-spanning subplots that happened after the simpsons got really bad. Had no idea Barney became a helicopter pilot.. Any others that stand out?

Ned married Edna

They put it up to a fan vote

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Deciding that Barney was too depressing and should get sober was dumb, but I get it.

But didn't they later change him back to a drunk? That's even more depressing!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

porfiria posted:

Deciding that Barney was too depressing and should get sober was dumb, but I get it.

But didn't they later change him back to a drunk? That's even more depressing!

i think in that same episode, at the end moe was selling him spiked lattes or something

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596427779587080195

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Last Chance posted:

With Barney I think it was due to them thinking the show was going to end soon and so it was kind of a wrap up for his character.

The other multi episode subplots from the bad seasons are all relationships. Bart dating one of the yokel kids, Ned marrying Edna, the Milhouses getting back together, Krusty having a daughter, Comic Book Guy getting a Japanese waifu, poo poo like that.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Junk posted:

i think in that same episode, at the end moe was selling him spiked lattes or something

Barney switches alcohol addiction for caffeine addiction, and Moe opens an espresso cart.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

J-Spot posted:

You're probably thinking of season 16's She Used to Be My Girl. He sobers up and pilots a helicopter to save his old high school girlfriend from a volcano.

ah yeah there it is. and it's a season 16 episode? :barf: yeah that also sounds about right

Last Chance posted:

i can't speak for the aforementioned season 16 episode, but in the one i saw he only flew a helicopter cause he got free lessons for his birthday

The Modern Leper posted:

Barney switches alcohol addiction for caffeine addiction, and Moe opens an espresso cart.

wait...at the risk of totally missing the joke, i thought what happened was that moe spiked his lattes with alcohol, so he went back to being an alcoholic, not that he was now addicted to caffeine?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

i can't speak for the aforementioned season 16 episode, but in the one i saw he only flew a helicopter cause he got free lessons for his birthday

I have a bad habbit of thinking too hard about the financial situations of putatively poor cartoon characters. Moe suddenly having "buy someone helicopter lessons as a joke" money really bugged me.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

The Moon Monster posted:

I have a bad habbit of thinking too hard about the financial situations of putatively poor cartoon characters. Moe suddenly having "buy someone helicopter lessons as a joke" money really bugged me.

He's a successful panda/orca smuggler

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mr Interweb posted:

wait...at the risk of totally missing the joke, i thought what happened was that moe spiked his lattes with alcohol, so he went back to being an alcoholic, not that he was now addicted to caffeine?

I seem to remember tuning in sporadically for a time and seeing a Sober Barney design in use? Like his hair was drawn differently and they animated more of his face. Maybe different clothes, too?

poo poo, this was also going on 15 years ago.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

You're totally missing the joke. The joke is that Barney is prone to addiction and is replacing alcohol with coffee, and Moe is taking advantage of that knowledge by selling him coffee instead of alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Mr Interweb posted:

ah yeah there it is. and it's a season 16 episode? :barf: yeah that also sounds about right

It seemed a lot easier to ignore bad simpsons in the 2000s. There was the movie and the DVD box sets, but otherwise you could go years without remembering they were still making it. Now not only is it a lot more visible on Disney+ and Hulu but there are a ton of third parties selling Simpsons nostalgia on Youtube / podcasts / social media.