Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I take you point on physical size of facilities. My original statement was more that I think by the time fusion is in any way a possible solution for climate change / decarbonisation, we will have either solved it or it will be too late.

But long before that it may have niche uses where practicality or economy is less of a concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cat botherer posted:

Superconducting magnets have really slashed the size these things need to be. They also don't have iron cores like regular electromagnets.

Trouble with newer high temp, compact superconductive materials is that any disturbance whatsoever -- especially neutrons displacements -- gently caress 'em up real good.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I take you point on physical size of facilities. My original statement was more that I think by the time fusion is in any way a possible solution for climate change / decarbonisation, we will have either solved it or it will be too late.

But long before that it may have niche uses where practicality or economy is less of a concern.

Your first post got off the rails at "I reckon"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

There'll be a reckoning.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Hardly going to be the last time.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/cmarinucci/status/1594721212407902208

hell yeah, but also boo pg&e

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Watch them spend it on bonuses and close the plant anyway.

Even if it's explicitly earmarked for not doing that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Jaxyon posted:

Watch them spend it on bonuses and close the plant anyway.

Even if it's explicitly earmarked for not doing that.

Ahh I see you are familiar with the PG&E business model

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ahh I see you are familiar with the PG&E business model

You forgot the reckless negligence; pge never does.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
When it comes to waste. Keep it as tightly, or even more regulated as today.

Find a convenient really deep spot in the middle of the Pacific as far as can be from anyone interested. If it's a place where tectonic plates meet, even better.

Package accordingly to keep things together, not necessarily water/air tight. But packaged.

Chuck it in. But only there.

Problem solved.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That’s silly. Burn it in a reactor.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Find a convenient really deep spot in the middle of the Pacific as far as can be from anyone interested. If it's a place where tectonic plates meet, even better.

Package accordingly to keep things together, not necessarily water/air tight. But packaged.

Problem solved.

It's literally not even a major problem, none of the "chuck it into the sun/mariana trench" solutions are needed.

We don't really a solve for it. It's kinda already solved. Just store it on site or reprocess it.

The real issue making fossil fuel generation treat it's waste with the seriousness that Nuclear does.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

It's literally not even a major problem, none of the "chuck it into the sun/mariana trench" solutions are needed.

We don't really a solve for it. It's kinda already solved. Just store it on site or reprocess it.

The real issue making fossil fuel generation treat it's waste with the seriousness that Nuclear does.

Cheaper with a trench though. But I agree with you and Phanatic, best use burn use.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

in a well actually posted:

You forgot the reckless negligence; pge never does.

This is why I'll never make it as a soulless government sponsored monopoly. :negative:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Problem solved.

An American's lifetime energy usage, residential, commercial, and industrial, including 2nd order usage in manufacturing and transport, adds up to 1.3cuin of high level nuclear waste per lifetime. That can be further reduced with reprocessing. Your entire life is a little larger than a sugar cube worth of nuclear power.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Given that any material PG&E are meant to keep safe is eroded to 10% of its proper weight, you’re an order of magnitude off.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Kind of interesting that the California nuclear power plant needs $1 billion just to keep running for another five years. According to what I've read in this thread, I thought nuclear power was essentially free once you've constructed the plant and bypassed the minefield set by the environmentalists who are in charge in the various levels of US gov't?

Maybe the people running the plant need to bookmark this thread so they can learn how much it REALLY should cost to run a nuclear power plant. The people running the US nuclear regulatory agencies could also benefit from bookmarking this thread too--it seems like they just don't understand the technology as well as the posters in this thread.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 23, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, it's PG&E, it wouldn't surprise me if they are embezzling all of it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
There is absolutely no way that the posters in this thread could be wrong about nuclear power. According to them, the operating cost of a nuclear power plant is zero.

Therefore, the only reasonable conclusion to make regarding this news story is that the federal government, because they are stupid and corrupt, wired $1 billion directly into the personal account of the CEO running PG&E.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 23, 2022

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

silence_kit posted:

There is absolutely no way that the posters in this thread could be wrong about nuclear power. According to them, the operating cost of a nuclear power plant is zero.

Therefore, the only reasonable conclusion to make regarding this news story is that the federal government, because they are stupid and corrupt, wired $1 billion directly into the personal account of the CEO running PG&E.

but every evidence points to them being stupid and corrupt?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Goa Tse-tung posted:

but every evidence points to them being stupid and corrupt?

they know when to hire accountants and audit consultants good at fastidiously legalizing crime

something that's interesting about all these operators squeezing blood from stone in all areas of their company is that they know when to pay for good finance talent, and they'll pay through the nose for em

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I'm also pretty sure a good chunk of that billion is to keep the aging plant operational. It's not like it is a brand new plant with no maintenance required.

I'd rather dump a few hundred million a year to keep it up and running than the hundreds of millions or billions to decommission it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

silence_kit posted:

Kind of interesting that the California nuclear power plant needs $1 billion just to keep running for another five years. According to what I've read in this thread, I thought nuclear power was essentially free once you've constructed the plant and bypassed the minefield set by the environmentalists who are in charge in the various levels of US gov't?

Maybe the people running the plant need to bookmark this thread so they can learn how much it REALLY should cost to run a nuclear power plant. The people running the US nuclear regulatory agencies could also benefit from bookmarking this thread too--it seems like they just don't understand the technology as well as the posters in this thread.

silence_kit posted:

When you get back from probation you can feel free to quote where in the thread that was posted, which I'm sure it definitely was. :allears:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If it costs $200 million to run a power plant for a year (using every accounting trick known to man to inflate that cost), and they can sell the 16 TWh of electricity it generates for $1 - $6 billion a year, I'm failing to see where they can't pay for the loving power plant out of the profits. Profit margins of 80% - 95% are pretty good in the business world, and something tells me the construction costs are fully depreciated by now.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm also pretty sure a good chunk of that billion is to keep the aging plant operational. It's not like it is a brand new plant with no maintenance required.

I'd rather dump a few hundred million a year to keep it up and running than the hundreds of millions or billions to decommission it.

Nuke plant decommissioning is prepaid by the utility.

NRC requires decom costs to be prepaid by licensees so a company can't declare bankruptcy, rug pull, and leave a reactor just chilling there waiting to melt down once it boils off its cover.

I'm sure there's accounting fuckery that goes on with those trust funds, but nominally the decom is already paid for.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Infinite Karma posted:

If it costs $200 million to run a power plant for a year (using every accounting trick known to man to inflate that cost), and they can sell the 16 TWh of electricity it generates for $1 - $6 billion a year, I'm failing to see where they can't pay for the loving power plant out of the profits. Profit margins of 80% - 95% are pretty good in the business world, and something tells me the construction costs are fully depreciated by now.

Because a 40 year old piece of infrastructure probably has significant operational and maintenance costs. In addition California's regulations are unfavorable to nuclear power, there's regulatory uncertainty and economic risks associated with future market development.
https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/End-of-an-atomic-era-PG-E-to-close-Diablo-Canyon-8314258.php#photo-10419088

SFGate posted:

A rising flood of renewable power is pouring onto the state’s electricity grid, and, under California regulations, that power has priority over electricity generated from nuclear reactors or fossil fuel plants. In addition, energy efficiency and the rapid spread of public power projects like San Francisco’s CleanPowerSF are cutting the amount of electricity that PG&E will need to generate or buy for its customers.

“Our analysis continues to show that instead of continuing to run all the time, there will be parts of the year where Diablo will not be needed,” said Earley, who flew to San Luis Obispo to break the news to Diablo’s 1,500 employees in a series of staff meetings Tuesday. “At a plant like Diablo, with large fixed costs, if you effectively only run the plant half the time, you’ve doubled the cost.”

SFGate posted:

Next week, the State Lands Commission is scheduled to decide whether to require a full environmental impact report before extending those leases, which are due to expire in 2018. Another panel, the California State Water Resources Control Board, was considering forcing PG&E to replace the cooling system with another that would kill fewer fish. One estimate pegged the cost of replacement as high as $14 billion.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Even as the thread's designated free-marketeer I'd vastly prefer the US government spend a billion to keep a nuclear power plant open than spend a billion to keep the House of Saud in power.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

"chuck it into the sun // or space

coincidentally pop science youtuber Kurzgesagt's recent video is exactly why this idea is stupid as gently caress.

lol at even popsci media consumers still being dumb as bricks when it comes to atoms. or space. like im pretty sure they have an old waste disposal video and they also said space was the omg the worst/dumbest idea, but apparently they get asked so much they have to make one whole video. on a similar note to the ocean trench method, there's also the volcano as a fire dumpster method, again just massive ignorance on how volcano work or the basic real world logistics.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

coincidentally pop science youtuber Kurzgesagt's recent video is exactly why this idea is stupid as gently caress.

lol at even popsci media consumers still being dumb as bricks when it comes to atoms. or space. like im pretty sure they have an old waste disposal video and they also said space was the omg the worst/dumbest idea, but apparently they get asked so much they have to make one whole video. on a similar note to the ocean trench method, there's also the volcano as a fire dumpster method, again just massive ignorance on how volcano work or the basic real world logistics.

Meanwhile coal plants just dumbing toxic poo poo wherever and it has no half-life.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Jaxyon posted:

Meanwhile coal plants just dumbing toxic poo poo wherever and it has no half-life.

Theres plenty of radioactive particles emitted by coal plants. For reasons unknown this like all the emissions other than CO2 are mostly ignored.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

SpeedFreek posted:

Theres plenty of radioactive particles emitted by coal plants. For reasons unknown this like all the emissions other than CO2 are mostly ignored.

I mean that's true too but I was speaking of stuff like heavy metals.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If the worst case scenario for keeping an aging plant in the hands of corrupt morons running is a billion bucks a year that's fantastic. We spend like 200x that just to keep airline companies in the same position functional and that's a luxury service whereas electrical generation is the foundation that all modern civilization is built on. If you want a sensible approach you want the profit seekers out of the mix entirely, not something like a return to what got us here.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

I don't know which poster itt is sleeping with your mom but they're probably not going to stop just because you threw a tantrum, sorry. This "gently caress you dad" thing where you just make up some accusations about other posters in the thread isn't interesting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

Because a 40 year old piece of infrastructure probably has significant operational and maintenance costs. In addition California's regulations are unfavorable to nuclear power, there's regulatory uncertainty and economic risks associated with future market development.
https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/End-of-an-atomic-era-PG-E-to-close-Diablo-Canyon-8314258.php#photo-10419088

“Our analysis continues to show that instead of continuing to run all the time, there will be parts of the year where Diablo will not be needed”

50 percent of California's power generation comes from natural gas plants, I wonder why none of those can be turned off or scaled down

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

“Our analysis continues to show that instead of continuing to run all the time, there will be parts of the year where Diablo will not be needed”

50 percent of California's power generation comes from natural gas plants, I wonder why none of those can be turned off or scaled down

I'm sure they are. It's just not all that helpful if a natural gas plant that idles half the time produces cheaper electricjty than a nuclear power plant that idles half the time.

One solution is to give nuclear power priority over gas/coal and eventually wind/solar when renewable penetration becomes high enough to be an issue. Apparently that is an issue for the state of California? And evidently they are not inclined to do so. Moreover you need to signal that it's a persistent policy that won't be rolled back in 4 or 8 or 12 years or the regulatory uncertainty will be priced in.

Another solution is to pay PG&E to keep Diablo Canyon running - and idling - which is what the feds are doing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Owling Howl posted:

I'm sure they are. It's just not all that helpful if a natural gas plant that idles half the time produces cheaper electricjty than a nuclear power plant that idles half the time.

One solution is to give nuclear power priority over gas/coal and eventually wind/solar when renewable penetration becomes high enough to be an issue. Apparently that is an issue for the state of California? And evidently they are not inclined to do so. Moreover you need to signal that it's a persistent policy that won't be rolled back in 4 or 8 or 12 years or the regulatory uncertainty will be priced in.

Another solution is to pay PG&E to keep Diablo Canyon running - and idling - which is what the feds are doing.

It's all decision-driven data making.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

It's all decision-driven data making.

:golfclap:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Owling Howl posted:

As much as everyone claims Illinois is a corrupt state full of gangsters, they may have come up with a reasonable solution to this problem. The parent company of some nuclear plants (at the time Exelon, now spun off to Constellation) went to the state with an ultimatum. Give us money, or we shut down two nuclear plants in the state. It had worked before, so it would probably work again. But between those attempts, a couple of scandals had surfaced that made a deal kind of hard to reach until the last minute. Eventually a bill was passed that appeared to give something like 700 million over 5 years to keep the plants open.

The main driver was extremely low cost natural gas was pricing nuclear power out of the market. And capacity payments from the wholesale market were not making up the difference anymore.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/illinois-senate-close-providing-lifeline-3-nuclear-power-plants-2021-09-13/

Turns out it was more of a price floor for the electricity produced. Whoever wrote up that bill included cutoffs for the subsidies, and included refunds if the price of power hit certain benchmarks. So this year, ComEd customers are getting nuclear rebates on their bills due to the high price of power.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/5/10/23062706/nuclear-plant-credit-illinois-commerce-commission-commonwealth-edison-power-bills-editorial

I am sure the plants are making a poo poo ton of money in the current energy market, but if it takes setting up a government sponsored price floor to keep the nuclear plants open, maybe that should be explored elsewhere.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

What is the effective price floor in c/kwhr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

PhazonLink posted:

Firing to solar escape velocity is easier than sun diving! :eng101: