Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I picked up artificing because I had no idea what professions to do so I'll save them and craft them upwards for now I guess, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
It’s pretty depressing to read the magic find page on the wiki and realize it barely affects anything.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

It’s time for another build post that no one asked for. I've been playing around with the new Shadow Arts and I found a really fun, powerful, and low-intensity build for Specter! I'll also include the easy and strong WvW roaming build that uses the same armor for no extra charge!

Open World Low-Intensity Specter Build

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAsiVlFwQYZMNWLOuObxKA-zRRYVREvZ0AlScJQuFQvhQ4Rg7TDIm2AA-e
The adapt trait for Specter can be whatever you prefer. Ascended gear/Aristocracy runes are recommended but not required for the build to function. Exotic celestial with whatever runes you like can be used instead. This build has really good damage and sustain while being drat-near invincible via facetanking and stealth spam. All you have to do is hit 5 to stealth with dagger and then stealth attack. Rinse and repeat. Everything will die and you won't. How tanky is this? Lets check in with my old buddy Balth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXUmCkqHq6k
(Beat him so hard he bugged out of his AoE room fire lol)

Notice how I didn't do anything fancy like "dodge" (besides on my initial approach) or "use a heal skill". Just facetank with 5 and let 'er rip with 1 for all the damage and healing you need. I did some fancy button-pushing to pop his breakbar quicker and increase damage but that's just bonus stuff if you feel like using your brain.

So how does it work? Despite the simplicity there's a lot going on under the hood. Stealth gives you barrier thanks to Specter's Panaku's Ambition and more barrier when you hit with a stealth attack. You also get Protection for entering and exiting stealth and stacks of spider venom that heal you. Your stealth attack itself also siphons health and gives you 5 might, plus another 5 bonus might thanks to the weakness you're applying with the Hidden Thief trait and Aristocracy runes; that's 10 Might whenever you hit with a stealth attack! The Scepter stealth attack hits 8 times and applies poison on each hit, and you'll also get 6 stacks of spider venom when you enter/exit stealth for even more poison. I use torment and earth sigils to make sure I always have bleed and torment on my target, which makes you do more damage to them (Exposed Weakness trait) and take less damage from them as well (Strength of Shadows trait)!

For CC you have Shadowfall, Steal, and your Shroud abilities. Infiltrator Signet is your stunbreak and will get you next to your target to stealth with dagger. The passive also gives you just enough initiative regen to stealth with dagger 5 and have no downtime. Signet of Shadows gives you your runspeed boost, but if you're facetanking you can pop it for extra vulnerability and weakness (which also gives you Might if you're using the recommended Aristocracy runes). I use Skale venom for more vulnerability/torment and it can also double-up with your free spider venom from stealth so you don’t have to worry about perfectly timing when to use it. Your heal cleanses damaging conditions, but if you get immobilized, chilled etc you can weapon swap to clear those conditions with the cleansing sigil. Shortbow is always great but your alternate weapon can be whatever you desire.

Here's another video on the Champ Vampire Broodmother in Verdant Brink, mainly to highlight the excellent CC available if you want to push a few more buttons. I like this build because while at its core it's low intensity, you can do a lot more to really make it shine if you so desire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hagEN-igNmY

For AoE: Shortbow and shroud. Usually I'll do Shadowfall to clump, Sb4 to poison, detonate a cluster bomb, then auto-attack and Sb4 since your initiative pool is small to keep the poison and bleed rolling. It works really well for tagging and large groups, then when the weak stuff is gone you can weapon swap and finish off the stronger enemies. If you need more oomph or have a lot of vets/elites in your pull you can jump into shroud since that's all cleave/AoE too.

Alternatively, with the way the stealth attack works (8 separate hits) I've found myself just doing the normal dagger 5 and auto-attack spam unless it's a large amount of trash or I'm tagging in a group. Basically what I did to handle the hounds in the Balth video. Yeah it may keep landing on different enemies but it's not like DE where you need to hit your marked target. Just keep auto attacking and stuff dies faster than you'd think.Also you can just auto attack friendly dudes with Scepter to get credit through Rot Wallow venom!

AoE demo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUzJIMMYtkI

WvW Dual Pistol Daredevil Roaming Build

This isn’t an original build but I wanted to highlight it because it’s really simple, fun, and powerful. From my earlier post updated with a few changes:

Hakarne posted:

If anyone's looking for a fun, cheesy easy, and powerful Thief build for WvW give P/P Daredevil a try:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PaABoqprlFw2YiMQGJe0W3NdA-z1IY1onvQKIFyMCytAcfWqSaDA-w

How to play:
1. Press pistol 5.
2. Dodge in the smoke field from pistol 5 for stealth.
3. Press 1 to sneak attack.
4. Rinse and repeat, using utility skills/weapon swap for sigil procs as needed.

Doing this gives you as much stealth uptime as possible, permanent protection, massive sustain from sneak attack/venoms, and lots of might thanks to Daredevil's Weakening Strikes minor trait and Aristocracy runes. If you can't kill it, you can get away from it!

Great for taking down those annoying Harbingers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4E4IFUqwbI

Also very good for 1vX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo8r1mNe-m8

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 22, 2022

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Ort posted:

Awesome Specter Stuff

This looks super fun for taking down heavy single targets, but what do you use for cleaving down trash/multiple veterans/etc?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

whydirt posted:

This looks super fun for taking down heavy single targets, but what do you use for cleaving down trash/multiple veterans/etc?

Shortbow and shroud. Usually I'll do Shadowfall to clump, Sb4 to poison, detonate a cluster bomb, then auto-attack and Sb4 since your initiative pool is small to keep the poison and bleed rolling. It works really well for tagging and large groups, then when the weak stuff is gone you can weapon swap and finish off the stronger enemies. If you need more oomph or have a lot of vets/elites in your pull you can jump into shroud since that's all cleave/AoE too.

Honestly with the way the stealth attack works (8 separate hits) I've found myself just doing the normal dagger 5 and auto-attack spam unless it's a large amount of trash or I'm tagging in a group. Basically what I did to handle the hounds in the Balth video. Yeah it may keep landing on different enemies but it's not like DE where you need to hit your marked target. Just keep auto attacking and stuff dies faster than you'd think.

Edit: Assuming you meant me and not Ort in the quote, unless they made a Specter post I missed. Also you can just auto attack friendly dudes with Scepter to get credit through Rot Wallow venom lol

Edit 2: Added an AoE section/demo to the Specter post.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 22, 2022

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I misquoted and meant you, yeah! Thanks!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For magic find, what I did to max it out was buy up a bunch of ectoplasm and use 250 use mystic salvage kits on each stack, making a small profit on crystal dust while boosting the magic find.

The rest I get I use artificer to turn all I get into exotics and stockpile them on a bank character until lunar new year where each exotic essence stack gets a gold value applied to it.
Also save the legendary ones for the few things you can exchange them for, they are extremely rare and besides lunar new year skins I think there are a few legendary crafts or collections that want one.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I eat the luck bonuses just because I absolutely cannot be hosed storing them or working out what I should be using them for.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Hakarne posted:

Also you can just auto attack friendly dudes with Scepter to get credit through Rot Wallow venom lol

And that's why I can't play specter - it does not work with action cam because allies are legal targets for the autoattack :(

Great post otherwise though.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Mr. Neutron posted:

And that's why I can't play specter - it does not work with action cam because allies are legal targets for the autoattack :(

Great post otherwise though.

You know I hadn't actually tried action cam so this inspired me to give it a whirl. I didn't care for it on my Specter or Vindicator but it makes rifle Mechanist way more fun, almost like a 3rd person shooter.

Then I also discovered the setting to enable first person camera and set it at character height. And lol, lmao it's not a half-bad FPS and if I could see my rifle it'd be even better.

Is this Doom?

(That last Blunderbuss shot at the end was extremely satisfying)

I can't even

I'll probably stick with 3rd person action cam on my rifle Mech but I had a good laugh playing GW2 - 90's FPS edition. So yeah thanks for bringing up action cam lol

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Action cam owns. Too bad they keep messing up (most) rifle specs

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Scrap Rifle Field Test in Tangled Depths is tough!!

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Logged in and uhh... looks like some serious poo poo went down in echovald while I was gone.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I’ve been seeing some weird effects with some water. For me, it has just been a color outline that matches whatever I have targeted - green outline for an ally, red for an enemy…

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah I've been seeing that in places too since the patch.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Lonk posted:

Logged in and uhh... looks like some serious poo poo went down in echovald while I was gone.

GW2 bringing back some childhood trauma.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Oh man the rear end price is in freefall :( Down to 3g60 today.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Holy poo poo. I sold a bunch over the weekend!

Mystic coin price climbing a little too, well above 80s.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why is that? Also, :rubby: - anything that makes my account balance go up again.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'll bite, what's rear end?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

bengy81 posted:

Antique summoning stones

The expensive bit of the aurene legendaries

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

bengy81 posted:

Ancient (e: Oops, Antique) Summoning Stones. EoD limited crafting material that cost various map currencies for legendary weapons. A couple weeks ago they were selling for 5-6g a piece.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Ah, I've been jumping between making Vision and S1, so I haven't gotten too deep into EoD mats.
Should probably buy a stack of coins before they go up too high though...

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Does any game have securitized derivative AH trading? That would add a wild new layer of ways to extract cash from people predisposed to making bad financial decisions.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Ready for Wintersday.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Unfortunately Nomad’s gear doesn’t protect against UV rays. Enjoy your skin cancer.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
That treasure trail has me dying.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Guest2553 posted:

Does any game have securitized derivative AH trading? That would add a wild new layer of ways to extract cash from people predisposed to making bad financial decisions.

Secondary markets exist with or without an exchange or automated broker. All you need is a mark

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Guys I have this great financial product if you choose to invest your gold with me. See I put it in rock-solid assets like Ectos, rear end, and Bit Mystic Coins which as everyone knows never decrease in value and can always be liquidated for a profit. I promise a 10% return for as long as we continue to have new investors

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

around the sixth of november it looks like there was suddenly a large influx of supply of rear end on the market, then again on the thirteenth - along with a corresponding rapid drop in price. if i had to guess, a few people with large supplies of them are trying to dump them all at once for whatever reason and it's causing a undercutting war.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Meeko posted:

around the sixth of november it looks like there was suddenly a large influx of supply of rear end on the market, then again on the thirteenth - along with a corresponding rapid drop in price. if i had to guess, a few people with large supplies of them are trying to dump them all at once for whatever reason and it's causing a undercutting war.

I believe that to be right around the time mightyteapot (the biggest GW2 streamer) specifically mentioned the Arborstone vendor on stream. It's entirely possible many people simply had no idea you could basically get 5 of those weekly for nearly free and sell them for 30ish gold.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

New chair goes hard.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Looks soft to me

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

whydirt posted:

I misquoted and meant you, yeah! Thanks!

I went back and added an AoE section/demo to the post too. I'm glad you brought it up, it's good to go over how a spec handles lots of enemies as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUzJIMMYtkI

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
they had the first 2 xpacs half off today so I grabbed that and got a mount, which is cool. Let me make sure I have this right:

Different MOUNTS can be earned through various quests and such things in the world?

Different SKINS for the mounts you have come from the pay store?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

they had the first 2 xpacs half off today so I grabbed that and got a mount, which is cool. Let me make sure I have this right:

Different MOUNTS can be earned through various quests and such things in the world?

Correct

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Alright cool, thanks

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

That's correct. There's a raptor, Springer, jackal, and skimmer that you get from the POF storyline. There's a griffin that you can get after the POF story but it's optional, a skyscale that you get from the LW4 maps but it's also optional, a warclaw you get from WvW, and a turtle you get from the EOD meta.

Skins can drop from chests, but they are STUPID rare.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes, with the minor correction that mounts *have to be earned* in game, they can't be bought.

Mount skins are almost exclusively on the Black Lion store, in various forms (package deals, parts of expansion editions, random unlock tickets etc.). You won't buy them with "gems for gold" either because they're usually in the 1200-1600 gem range, which requires converting about 400-600 gold.

Soysaucebeast posted:

That's correct. There's a raptor, Springer, jackal, and skimmer that you get from the POF storyline. There's a griffin that you can get after the POF story but it's optional, a skyscale that you get from the LW4 maps but it's also optional, a warclaw you get from WvW, and a turtle you get from the EOD meta.

How could you forget about the roller beetle :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

To be clear, skins drop rarely from Black Lion Chests, which need Black Lion Keys to open, which you normally get only very rarely from playing the game outside of things like the weekly key farm.