Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I did a couple of dragon response missions last night with some goons, and they were actually fun and easy and I'd do them again in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Hakarne posted:

It’s time for another build post that no one asked for. I've been playing around with the new Shadow Arts and I found a really fun, powerful, and low-intensity build for Specter! I'll also include the easy and strong WvW roaming build that uses the same armor for no extra charge!

Open World Low-Intensity Specter Build

just quoting this so I can easily find it one day, thanks!

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Also just tossing it out there I tried the very recent Specter build post and I am enjoying it in PvE so far despite not having fully finished my sigils and my celestial trinkets. I enjoy it a good deal for PvE for sure.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Hakarne posted:

It’s time for another build post that no one asked for. I've been playing around with the new Shadow Arts and I found a really fun, powerful, and low-intensity build for Specter! I'll also include the easy and strong WvW roaming build that uses the same armor for no extra charge!

Honestly, thanks for this man. The builds pretty interesting and I love me some unkillable rear end in a top hat setups, even more than I like big numbers dps.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Celestial is indeed the answer to all open world woes. I can't think of a spec it wouldn't be good on.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I wish they'd make an Iron Legion bike skin for the roller beetle already. Or at least put that asura bike skin back on the market.

I hate those gross loving things.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Mr. Neutron posted:

I believe that to be right around the time mightyteapot (the biggest GW2 streamer) specifically mentioned the Arborstone vendor on stream. It's entirely possible many people simply had no idea you could basically get 5 of those weekly for nearly free and sell them for 30ish gold.

oh yeah that'd do it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Mr. Neutron posted:

Celestial is indeed the answer to all open world woes. I can't think of a spec it wouldn't be good on.

Almost all power-based builds, to start. But there you can use Marauders and Dragons stat items.

Honestly with the new Jade Bot and anvil defense buffs, even full glass cannon builds are reasonably durable now. Use some life drain sigils and food and you’ve got decent sustain even on builds that lack it innately.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Expansions are all on sale for anybody who was waiting.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
I might finally be able to convince my friends to buy the expansions.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
So I gather the hero points for the path of fire/heart of thorns class builds will come from doing stuff in those areas, but Im not done with my personal story from the original game despite being 80. Ignoring things like dungeons and raids or pvp which I'm generally not interested in doing right now anyway, does it make sense to just finish off that story and then do path/heart in order and build up all my available classes?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

fast cars loose anus posted:

So I gather the hero points for the path of fire/heart of thorns class builds will come from doing stuff in those areas, but Im not done with my personal story from the original game despite being 80. Ignoring things like dungeons and raids or pvp which I'm generally not interested in doing right now anyway, does it make sense to just finish off that story and then do path/heart in order and build up all my available classes?

The expansion hero points are generally harder to do than core Tyria ones, and also give you 10 pts instead of 1.

But for optimal game experience, I'd honestly play through things in order. Especially since the re-release of living world season 1; I would have really liked to have played that in order, but I only came in just as HoT was starting up.

The central Tyria content isn't tuned for having a fully optimised, elite spec'd, hero-pointed-out character. I'd argue you'd have a much better time just playing it through in order, rather than jumping forwards in the story just to get hero points. Certainly if you've never played through the story before!

You can certainly do that without doing dungeons or raids or pvp (I did), though you might want to consider going and doing the story dungeons in order. I never did, myself, and I've only recently been going back and doing them 7 years, 12 characters and three expansions later, and they do fill in some cool story points I didn't really know about.

I will say, though, that the original Zhaitan storyline's writing and voice acting aren't really super great compared to the later stuff. Still worth playing through though imo.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
yeah I'm not necessarily in any great hurry to bust through everything but its intriguing to get to play with a greatsword for example

playing through in order seems the way to go though so I'll do that. Do I have to buy something else to do these living world things?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I bought a new relased-this-year GPU and CPU today. Last time I did that was the summer GW2 released. Looking forward to see what the game'll look like after a decennial tech refresh :woop:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

yeah I'm not necessarily in any great hurry to bust through everything but its intriguing to get to play with a greatsword for example

Yeah, something I really like about GW2 is that for every class, every weapon's abilities are unique. Without playing a new character, you can change your weapons and your 1-5 skills will be totally different, sometimes a drastically different way of playing the game. I remember on my first character I had one of everything they could equip in their inventory, while I was swapping between them and seeing what I liked...

quote:

playing through in order seems the way to go though so I'll do that. Do I have to buy something else to do these living world things?
I honestly don't know :(

The way it works is that if you were online while they were current, you get access to living world forever. So you probably have the LW1 re-release, because that was recent, and I think the window for "log on and get this" is still going, but I might be wrong. LW1 directly follows on from the end of the original personal story campaign.

e: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World#Unlocking_Living_World_episodes

it looks like you can buy each season, or even each episode, using gems. Or you can buy the whole shebang, expansions and all, at https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/27271/Guild_Wars_2__Complete_Collection/. There might be other bundles or combinations or whatnot.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 24, 2022

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Reaching 80 inherently gives you enough Hero Points to max your core traits. Any Hero points you gather in core Tyria content will be usable on unlocking Elite specs once you hit 80, assuming you own the relevant expansion. The expansion Hero Points earn you 10 instead of 1, so they are far faster at unlocking your Elite, but exploring the base game world will still make progress towards that goal.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
LW1 is a permanent free addition to the game, they’re not going to start selling it later and you can’t miss out on grabbing the episodes by not logging in now.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

honestly core story is pretty forgettable and I didn't get much more out of it than if I had read a plot summary. the order mentors have more personality than like anyone else in core but that's like the only positive takeaway I had.

the writing quality jump from core to LW1 was massive.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guest2553 posted:

I bought a new relased-this-year GPU and CPU today. Last time I did that was the summer GW2 released. Looking forward to see what the game'll look like after a decennial tech refresh :woop:

GW2 art team did an amazing job at making the game look great at most levels and the engineers made it run well on a toaster.

I'd love to see what they could do making a sequel using UE5 but that's probably never gonna happen.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Hyperlynx posted:

it looks like you can buy each season, or even each episode, using gems. Or you can buy the whole shebang, expansions and all, at https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/27271/Guild_Wars_2__Complete_Collection/. There might be other bundles or combinations or whatnot.

This is really dumb; the gem price is way higher than the price in this bundle, but you can't just buy living worlds separately you have to buy this bundle, but I already bought the first 2 xpacs because I was gonna wait and see on End of Dragons, but then this bundle doesn't want to discount me the price of the expansions I have already so I'd be buying them again.

If I really like this game after the first two xpacs I guess I'll sigh and eat the cost but this is a baffling set of choices made here

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You can get the living world packs (don't buy the episodes individually, this is the worst deal) in the in-game gem store and they go on sale for 20-30% fairly regularly.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this is a baffling set of choices made here

you've just summed up the last 10 years of this game's life

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i also felt fairly annoyed when i realized that by buying the expansions alone i'd actually cost myself more money when i want living world

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Remembering to just log on occasionally to snag living world chapters can be good too, you get them for free when they come out for awhile, I had a few gaps when I stopped playing for a long time but just logging on here and there got most of them.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

CODChimera posted:

just quoting this so I can easily find it one day, thanks!

Lonk posted:

Also just tossing it out there I tried the very recent Specter build post and I am enjoying it in PvE so far despite not having fully finished my sigils and my celestial trinkets. I enjoy it a good deal for PvE for sure.

Perpetual Notion posted:

Honestly, thanks for this man. The builds pretty interesting and I love me some unkillable rear end in a top hat setups, even more than I like big numbers dps.

I'm glad people like it, thanks for the feedback. I also made a Demon Hunter-themed P/P build for Open World (to go with my crossbows you see) that uses the same armor. If there's interest I can make a post for that too. It's basically the WvW build crossed with the Specter build to give it decent PvE damage and sustain.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Wow I didn't know PVP was basically DOTA 2!!

weast
Nov 7, 2012

Lpzie posted:

Wow I didn't know PVP was basically DOTA 2!!

If this is the case this would make me want to play PVP… how does PVP work?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

weast posted:

If this is the case this would make me want to play PVP… how does PVP work?

Gear is equalized and it's heavily skill based.

...so mostly deserted, because of those two reasons.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
To clarify the DOTA 2 comment, each of the maps in PvP have a particular gimmick; in one map, that gimmick is hiring NPC door breakers and damage dealers to run down a lane and help you break the gates to storm the opponent’s Stronghold and kill their Lord. You win by killing the lord.

Only one of the PVP maps uses this gimmick, the others are standard Control-Deathmatch types with some other gimmick like a high power cannon you can fight for control of.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I like fighting other players but I stick to WvW for it because nobody there cares when I inevitably get stomped.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If I bought the game at launch, can I take on the Steam version of End of Dragons while it's on sale? I remember Steam and Arenanet not playing nice for GW1.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You can’t cross streams. You can’t buy steam expacs for original accounts or vice versa.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Alternatively, I believe the expacs are also on sale via Amazon.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
So, gearing at 80. In WoW the gear path is the only thing going for you once you hit max level, whereas I have the stories from living world 1-4 and two expansions to do. My understanding is those will give gear good enough to finish them without me trying to do things like craft legendary weapons, or gear up in dungeons and/or raids. Is that right?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So, gearing at 80. In WoW the gear path is the only thing going for you once you hit max level, whereas I have the stories from living world 1-4 and two expansions to do. My understanding is those will give gear good enough to finish them without me trying to do things like craft legendary weapons, or gear up in dungeons and/or raids. Is that right?

1) lol, wear what ever you want. seriously, if you are in a group in open world, noone will care (and you shouldnt either)

2) if you are doing fractals, you will want ascendant gear, and probably a 'proper' build'

3) if you are really wanting to gear, use exotics, and choose something. It used to be either power or conditions, these days celestial is pretty propular too because its not exactly wrong. You can buy off name stuff for a few gold to fully kit yourself out.

Stories can usually be done in greens and blues as long as you know the mechanics and can do them. id even say 9/10 times its your build that needs tweeking and not your gear for stories.

legendary stuff is SUPER QoL and on par (as in exactly the same stats) as ascendant. just, so much easier for multiple toons.

Ask people to ping their underwater helm. and dont laugh when its their lvl 7 one they got 5 years ago and completely forgot about.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The story missions alone are fairly bad at giving you gear, it will just be an item here and there, often rares only, and sometimes jewelry for meta achievements. You probably can't cover all your slots in a reasonable timeframe. At 80 your goal is getting a set of exotic gear, which will suffice for all of the content you'll be doing except for fractals past the entry tier (only ascended or legendary items have slots for the required agony infusions).

Level 80 exotics can be outright bought on the trading post, core stat combos have named versions (eg. "Zhed's ..." for light armor with berserker stats) that are usually much cheaper than the crafted- or special skin variant gear. Most activities in game have vendors that will sell you level 80 exotics with various stats for various currencies (usually those earned by the activity the vendor is tied to, eg. map vendors on the HoT maps) and if you need specific expansion stat combos, you'll be a bit more limited in what gear sources will help. In general, you'll be looking for stat-selectable items for the latter, because crafting them can be very expensive.

The wiki has a few guides but I like the structure of the one on metabattle better: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Guide:How_to_Gear_a_Character

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ascended/legendary gear is only a touch better than exotic. I think the figure is 5%? You do not need it, from a stats point of view.

The only reason you would actually hard need ascended gear is to be able to play high level fractals, because fractals require increasingly high amounts of "agony resistance" which is stuff you only get from socketing certain enhancements into ascended armour. And it only applies to fractals. But you *get* ascended equipment as loot in fractals, so you don't actually need to make it ahead of time either.

It's more or less just an endgame goal to progress towards, rather than something you need.

So, just get yourself exotics. It's almost always cheapest to get them via the trading post (and if you do, don't just type in "Berserker's" or whatever, because there are some items for sale with the stat combo you want but don't have that in their name).

There are karma merchants in Orr who will sell Berserker's and I think some other stat combos, but it costs a lot of karma, to the point where it's cheaper to buy off the TP.

And it is seldom cheaper to make equipment yourself, if you're wondering that, but https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator can tell you for sure.

e: huh, from the link in the post above I see it's 12.5%, not 5%. Still, not strictly vital. Your build and playing it well matters more than going from exotic to ascended.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 27, 2022

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

full set of devona's (heavy) or nika's (medium) or zhed's (light) is zerker stat gear on the cheap

probably varies based on class, for open world you can get away with zerker on warrior, revenant, engineer, and necromancer trivially. it also works well for ranger and guardian although you're a bit more fragile, and thief/mesmer you'd better try real hard not to get hit because the sustain just isn't there. if you're playing elementalist god help you

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

PvP is 5v5 so don't worry about being bad just get in there and run around for a few minutes. Easy way to clear 1 or 2 dailies since the 3rd PvE daily is usually a JP or events or a bounty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Cool thanks for the advice. Im still on the "ill play this in my spare time and finish stories" track rather than wanting to do anything with groups so ill just buy myself some zhed's since Im a necro