Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if that still works, but when DNC was new a single standard step could instantly pop every egg in Zu's room and wipe the group in no time.

Relyssa posted:

I still don't really understand how that fight works.
You need to control the Zu's rage by only killing a few/the right eggs. From one of the wikis:

ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com posted:

There are two types of eggs, spotted and plain. The plain eggs spawn an add that does a minor AoE while the spotted eggs spawn an add that channels onto a player. Ignore the eggs until the emote "The egg is threatening to hatch," which will cause 2-3 eggs to start to glow purple. Only kill one of them. If one of them is a spotted egg, kill it. If more than one is killed, Zu will use Flying Frenzy and bodyslam a party member, which can easily kill someone.
The problem with squadrons used to be that they were really bad at dealing with adds and targetable stuff. If left alone, they would randomly break too many eggs (they're targetable from the start after all) or kill all the hatchlings early, enraging Zu. They also probably didn't focus fire the tethered add which slowly killed you if you were the healer. The only solution was trying to keep them in line with engage spam, but depending on your role that still left part of the fight to luck, and since squadron dungeons only targeted players with mechanics, the Zu would always stomp you if it freaked out.

I don't know if any of that changed, Pharos is not available in duty support so the only improvements would be accidental, eg. from general AI changes that also affect squadron NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The important thing about that boss is that the Zu doesn't care about the hatchlings, just the eggs, and it's pretty manageable to just kill the hatchlings as they show up, so just let the eggs hatch and deal with the adds as they come. The real issue is errant AOE, especially on classes like DNC where it's core to the rotation. Having a DNC on that boss sounds like the nightmare scenario, really.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Squads got easier when I started using Disengage -> Engage to switch their targets rather than Engage and waiting for them to eventually get around to it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I was lucky enough that someone said 'dont kill the eggs' my first run and I pass it on.

You have to trigger it for a Blu spell which is pretty fun.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, farming Flying Frenzy synched on an all-BLU team was... an intense experience. On the plus side, it's the most chill I've ever seen a group be in a multi-wipe situation!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

The important thing about that boss is that the Zu doesn't care about the hatchlings, just the eggs, and it's pretty manageable to just kill the hatchlings as they show up, so just let the eggs hatch and deal with the adds as they come. The real issue is errant AOE, especially on classes like DNC where it's core to the rotation. Having a DNC on that boss sounds like the nightmare scenario, really.

For the adds, the pullets, which hatch from white eggs, can be herded by the tank and are usually just a minor annoyance. The cockerels, which hatch from spotted eggs, tether themselves to a target (which almost always seems to be the healer) and start doing big damage pulses to them, and so need to die quickly. They can't be pulled off by the tank, but I believe you can get them to switch targets by running through their tether.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

A dancer standing in the dead center pixel of the arena won't hit the eggs. Good luck.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I just unlocked Eureka. What... what is this, what am I supposed to be doing, and is it worth doing in TYOOL 2022.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wouldn't bother with it unless you want dyable Stormblood artifact armour, or really want the Ozma mount. That'll be a trip though. Even with all the streamlining, getting through all the content to get there is an uninteresting grind.

You grind mobs for the challenge log, and then you grind fates or the mobs needed to spawn them.
Then repeat until you can get to the next zone.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

quiggy posted:

I just unlocked Eureka. What... what is this, what am I supposed to be doing, and is it worth doing in TYOOL 2022.

It's beautiful. A wonderful blend of monotony, brutality and redundancy. Poetry.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shinjobi posted:

It's beautiful. A wonderful blend of monotony, brutality and redundancy. Poetry.

There is a neat wheel of elements, at least

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wouldn't bother with it unless you want dyable Stormblood artifact armour, or really want the Ozma mount. That'll be a trip though. Even with all the streamlining, getting through all the content to get there is an uninteresting grind.

You grind mobs for the challenge log, and then you grind fates or the mobs needed to spawn them.
Then repeat until you can get to the next zone.

Don't you need to engage with it on some level to get any of the Stormblood relic weapons? It's basically the only kind of pre-EW content I haven't touched, because it sounds Not Fun.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The /magiaauto macros are helpful there. I have one that sets it to offense, then turns it off after 2 seconds so I'm not wasting flips when I target random mobs.

But yeah, do the challenge log to get easy loads of xp and don't touch it otherwise. That leads to madness.

Bozja is better/worse depending on who you ask.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Schwartzcough posted:

Don't you need to engage with it on some level to get any of the Stormblood relic weapons? It's basically the only kind of pre-EW content I haven't touched, because it sounds Not Fun.

Yeah, forgot about them. You need to go through most of it to get the relic as well.

They look like rear end though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

quiggy posted:

Turn back. Don't get into it unless its story or some specific item goal really pulls you in.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I didn't like the looks of the two relics I usually work for and I was turned off by the hideous grind to get there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's good and well worth sinking a few dozen hours into it. Don't listen to the trolls.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If using your level 70 kit against trash mobs and running around terrain that's obtrusive and cumbersome is engaging gameplay, then yeah I guess.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I ended up enjoying Eureka but I would only really do it with a group or your FC.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

sassassin posted:

It's good and well worth sinking a few dozen hours into it. Don't listen to the trolls.

:wrong:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

there's a set of challenge logs that dump a good amount of exp on you, so if you're not in a hurry just checking those off every week will eventually get you to cap.

other than that, I think that eureka (and its little brother bozja) are really good sources of poetics if you wanna double up on farming for old cosmetics.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm finishing up Eureka right now and overall I enjoyed the experience but I've also used it as a little mini vacation from MSQ grind.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Eureka is more akin to old-school, pre-WoW MMO games. FFXI being the big example, especially so considering the entire game mode is basically one gigantic FFXI reference. If you're the type to enjoy needing to carefully sneak around much-higher-level enemies to get to where you need to go, quests not providing markers and relying on you paying attention to dialogue (or looking up how to progress), needing to think about the map in three dimensions in order to find hidden routes, heavy punishment for dying, and good ol' fashioned grinding off of enemies, then you'll probably enjoy Eureka.

If those things sound like hell to you, then yeah I wouldn't recommend it. If you enjoy those things, then I also recommend trying out FFXI cus it rules and is somehow still alive and supported by SE.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 1, 2022

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Eureka is more akin to old-school, pre-WoW MMO games. FFXI being the big example, especially so considering the entire game mode is basically one gigantic FFXI reference. If you're the type to enjoy needing to carefully sneak around much-higher-level enemies to get to where you need to go, quests not providing markers and relying on you paying attention to dialogue (or looking up how to progress), needing to think about the map in three dimensions in order to find hidden routes, heavy punishment for dying, and good ol' fashioned grinding off of enemies, then you'll probably enjoy Eureka.

If those things sound like hell to you, then yeah I wouldn't recommend it. If you enjoy those things, then I also recommend trying out FFXI cus it rules and is somehow still alive and supported by SE.

This is probably the most useful post, thanks. I might spend some time checking it out when I'm bored of MSQ grinding, but also not about to drop everything to power through it either.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

it's important to do eureka, otherwise ojika tsunjika will neg you in endwalker

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
The biggest piece of advice I can give re: enjoying Eureka is to TALK. Talk to other people and get social. Ask for the tracker as soon as you get in, see what's up and organize or get into a group to pop those bosses.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Meanwhile, I am fully into the HW relic grind.

Currently grinding sand for this one, dungeons for NIN, and FATEs for WHM. I might drop the WHM one if I come to my senses tomorrow, I don't even enjoy WHM and I already have a great WHM glam I don't need the Seraph Cane for:

Also I just unlocked PLD and updated my glam from Full Subligar Mode.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

GilliamYaeger posted:

The biggest piece of advice I can give re: enjoying Eureka is to TALK. Talk to other people and get social. Ask for the tracker as soon as you get in, see what's up and organize or get into a group to pop those bosses.

im not doing eureka these days but i can't emphasize this enough - people who want this stuff WILL help you get involved because it makes it easier for them.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Eureka is for people with broken brains. I love it.

Seriously, when you're up to date with the MSQ and you've done your homework (combat tribal quests if you haven't level maxed everything and whatever other daily/weeklies you haven't finished the story for) it's one of the only things where you can just plug away and make progress for a while; Bozja even more than Eureka. They're really neat alternate game modes that have no limit on your ability to chip away at progress, with loads of rare drops (of widely varying value) and weird old school MMO gimmick mechanics like the above posters pointed out. I think the zones are the most the game ever really leaves you alone to figure out how to do poo poo by yourself.

Also, echoing GilliamYaeger and Ruzihm's sentiment that it's a very social part of the game. Slotting into random pub parties or starting your own happens really easily because it's practically required by the mechanics. I've made lots of little temporary friends in those zones (and seen a bunch of loving weirdos too).

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Anyone can pick up a sword, I turned my squadron into an idol group.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Spuzzz posted:

Anyone can pick up a sword, I turned my squadron into an idol group.

Tiny Hat Squadron

lancerboy
Mar 1, 2007
Quality Demon Busting at a Fair Price
I finally finished the free trial and purchased the full game. Now that I've got access to the market board, retainers, etc., I got a couple questions:

1) What's the best class to give your retainers? I was thinking a botanist and a miner, but is it better to do one combat class and one gathering class?

2) Is there any reason to hold onto the large stockpile of low level materia I've got built up, or can I sell it on the market board?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Retainer choices depend a lot on your crafting/gathering choices, but I would recommend one combat class, because combat retainers will fetch stuff that normally drops from monsters (like hides, which you'll need tons of for Leatherworking) and that can be a huge pain to farm manually. One gathering retainer can be good to get crystals and a wider variety of potential expeditions; botanist and miner are both good for this. Fisher is worse since it can't get crystals, but it's not bad for getting crafting-mat fish on demand, and Waterfront Exploration drops some really good minions.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Your first retainer should be a combat job, ideally the one you consider your "main," so you can hand down your used gear to it. The retainer won't out-level you, but if constantly send it on ventures it should match your level pretty quickly. And then a gathering for the other retainer.

Go ahead and sell old materia, there's basically no reason to meld gear below max level (some of the crafter and relic weapon quests will ask you to meld stuff, but if you do those you can just buy what you need when the time comes).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The thing about retainer levels being limited to your level is important - if you haven't levelled botanist/miner then you shouldn't use it on your retainer either.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Qwertycoatl posted:

The thing about retainer levels being limited to your level is important - if you haven't levelled botanist/miner then you shouldn't use it on your retainer either.

Yes, I've got three retainers stuck below max level because I haven't gotten around to leveling my gatherer classes.

lancerboy
Mar 1, 2007
Quality Demon Busting at a Fair Price
Thanks for the advice. I went with my main combat class and a botanist for my retainers. On a different note, I did not expect Stormblood to feature an extremely difficult platforming challenge.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You should level at least one crafter and gatherer job even if you're not into those things. It's pretty easy to do. Besides getting a retainer to level, you'll be able to meld your own materia, repair your own gear, do the tribal quests for those disciplines

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I've enjoyed crafting but gathering hasn't been my cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Inarguably the best way to level crafters and gatherers is to do the daily Grand Company turnins at your GC's headquarters. The supply & provisioning tasks reward amazing XP, doubled for HQ items and with a bonus for items with a gold star. It's a great way to turn gil into XP by buying the stuff straight from the market board. If you can only afford to do a few per day, stick to the starred ones.