Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

webmeister posted:

which of the actors said something like "i haven't seen the film, which i've heard is very bad, but i have seen the house it paid for, which is very nice"

Pretty sure Tim Roth said something along the lines of "I'm well aware the film is garbage but they paid well and I have three kids in college."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

webmeister posted:

which of the actors said something like "i haven't seen the film, which i've heard is very bad, but i have seen the house it paid for, which is very nice"

IMDB tells me that was Michael Caine, said in reference to one of the Jaws sequels.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: German WC TV ratings. I read an article that said that several pubs/bars/beer halls etc. are actively not showing any WC games, and using that as an advertizing selling point to get people to drink there.

i.e. "We aren't promoting this farce of a WC, and neither should you. buy your beer here."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Starsfan posted:

IMDB tells me that was Michael Caine, said in reference to one of the Jaws sequels.

I remember Richard E. Grant saying similar about Spice World.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re: German WC TV ratings. I read an article that said that several pubs/bars/beer halls etc. are actively not showing any WC games, and using that as an advertizing selling point to get people to drink there.

i.e. "We aren't promoting this farce of a WC, and neither should you. buy your beer here."

I didn't think much to it till I read this but I live in a town (UK) of 26k, only 1 pub was showing the England game on the high street which has 7 pubs on it. All of them were showing it for the euros last year lol

e - I should add there are more pubs around the town not on the high street that could of been showing the games. Just weird the high street ones weren't.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
German WC TV?

jesus i knew they were freaky but goddamn

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

vyelkin posted:

Pretty sure Tim Roth said something along the lines of "I'm well aware the film is garbage but they paid well and I have three kids in college."

this is the one i was thinking of, thanks everyone

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Alan Smithee posted:

jesus i knew they were freaky but goddamn

That’s South Korea and it’s a real problem OP

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
why does the world cup need eight new stadiums anyway

there's 3? 4? matches per day, so even assuming you can only play one match a day (getting people in and out, groundskeeping) that's still 4 stadiums. or does it take a whole extra day off to reset a stadium?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

there's 3? 4? matches per day, so even assuming you can only play one match a day (getting people in and out, groundskeeping) that's still 4 stadiums. or does it take a whole extra day off to reset a stadium?

If you care about the quality of play, you should leave at least a day in between matches for the field to recover otherwise the turf gets all hosed up.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Walking into a Muslim country dressed as a crusader is literally the exact thing as walking into a Jewish event dressed as a Nazi the crusades are a major major part of history textbooks and drilled into everyone at a young age here lol those loving idiots deserve to get arrested.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

If you care about the quality of play, you should leave at least a day in between matches for the field to recover otherwise the turf gets all hosed up.

gotcha, that makes sense. thanks!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Arivia posted:

Traditionally you’re hosting the World Cup over 6-7 cities, and timing the expansion or redevelopment of some of the stadia/surrounding areas to coincide with your bidding, so having 6-8 modern 60k+ stadia is a lasting and positive legacy sustainable by your domestic league. Germany did it in ‘06, so you saw the Allianz Arena built (with the requisite corruption scandal) and Dortmund's ground upgraded.

Because each country association operates on a one man one vote system, canny FIFA Presidents like Havelange and Blatter made the expansion of the World Cup to all confederations on a tick-tock cycle a key plank in their electioneering, alongside brown envelope deals on World Cup broadcast rights and the expansion of the competition to more teams.* There is also a lot of political history between FIFA and UEFA as the strongest and richest of the confederations, and then a lot more politics beyond that because of actual history.

You can argue that it is a good and laudable aim to move the World Cup away from being hosted permanently by UEFA nations, but to give legitimacy to the FIFA direction the requirements to act as World Cup host weren’t changed, so all grounds must meet minimum capacities that are hard to maintain for weaker domestic leagues. There’s the added benefit that if you’re spending billions of taxpayer money on these new venues that the opportunities for grifting multiply exponentially for everybody involved. There’s the added, added benefit that hosts qualify automatically and so different countries have an opportunity to enjoy the World Cup. Italy excepted.

Where it gets tricky is justifying the white elephant stadia slowly rotting away in the Amazon/South Africa. Similar to how the IOC don’t want anyone looking too closely at the legacy of abandoned concrete structures in Athens post 04.

Qatar can barely justify a ground the size of Stamford Bridge, the rest are just bollocks posturing. They might spend some money to maintain them past the point their rotting would cause embarrassment but I don’t think they’ll be arsed.

* Italia 90 , USA 94, France 98, South Korea and Japan 02, Germany 06 , South Africa 10, Brazil 14, Russia 18 , Qatar 22, CUM 26. The change in voting patterns and the move to announcing two hosts at a time hosed it slightly and it now appears to be a tick-tock-tock cycle, though there’s a strong shout Uruguay might get 2030 for the centennial.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Al-Saqr posted:

Walking into a Muslim country dressed as a crusader is literally the exact thing as walking into a Jewish event dressed as a Nazi the crusades are a major major part of history textbooks and drilled into everyone at a young age here lol those loving idiots deserve to get arrested.

Woke bitch

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

Traditionally you’re hosting the World Cup over 6-7 cities, and timing the expansion or redevelopment of some of the stadia/surrounding areas to coincide with your bidding, so having 6-8 modern 60k+ stadia is a lasting and positive legacy sustainable by your domestic league. Germany did it in ‘06, so you saw the Allianz Arena built (with the requisite corruption scandal) and Dortmund's ground upgraded.

Because each country association operates on a one man one vote system, canny FIFA Presidents like Havelange and Blatter made the expansion of the World Cup to all confederations on a tick-tock cycle a key plank in their electioneering, alongside brown envelope deals on World Cup broadcast rights and the expansion of the competition to more teams.* There is also a lot of political history between FIFA and UEFA as the strongest and richest of the confederations, and then a lot more politics beyond that because of actual history.

You can argue that it is a good and laudable aim to move the World Cup away from being hosted permanently by UEFA nations, but to give legitimacy to the FIFA direction the requirements to act as World Cup host weren’t changed, so all grounds must meet minimum capacities that are hard to maintain for weaker domestic leagues. There’s the added benefit that if you’re spending billions of taxpayer money on these new venues that the opportunities for grifting multiply exponentially for everybody involved. There’s the added, added benefit that hosts qualify automatically and so different countries have an opportunity to enjoy the World Cup. Italy excepted.

Where it gets tricky is justifying the white elephant stadia slowly rotting away in the Amazon/South Africa. Similar to how the IOC don’t want anyone looking too closely at the legacy of abandoned concrete structures in Athens post 04.

Qatar can barely justify a ground the size of Stamford Bridge, the rest are just bollocks posturing. They might spend some money to maintain them past the point their rotting would cause embarrassment but I don’t think they’ll be arsed.

* Italia 90 , USA 94, France 98, South Korea and Japan 02, Germany 06 , South Africa 10, Brazil 14, Russia 18 , Qatar 22, CUM 26. The change in voting patterns and the move to announcing two hosts at a time hosed it slightly and it now appears to be a tick-tock-tock cycle, though there’s a strong shout Uruguay might get 2030 for the centennial.

Once again, this is not at all a UEFA vs FIFA thing. Only 22 federations vote on host, and Spain/Portugal and Qatar traded votes (estimated about 7 of the 12 votes Qatar won were gotten that way). UEFA was every bit complicit with Qatar

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Crusaders getting owned is woke now? Lol

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Once again, this is not at all a UEFA vs FIFA thing. Only 22 federations vote on host, and Spain/Portugal and Qatar traded votes (estimated about 7 of the 12 votes Qatar won were gotten that way). UEFA was every bit complicit with Qatar

Only 22 voted because two FIFA exec members got caught touting for bribes in the bidding process, and those exec members were put in place by their confederation countries. It should have been 24.

Every bid from outside UEFA for ‘18 was strongly discouraged and pushed to ‘22, so that it could return to Europe after South Africa/Brazil. Qatar bought every vote they got with football clubs and watches.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Al-Saqr posted:

It's entirely inappropriate but also insanely funny, so something of a mixed bag

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

Only 22 voted because two FIFA exec members got caught touting for bribes in the bidding process, and those exec members were put in place by their confederation countries. It should have been 24.

Every bid from outside UEFA for ‘18 was strongly discouraged and pushed to ‘22, so that it could return to Europe after South Africa/Brazil. Qatar bought every vote they got with football clubs and watches.

And none of that changes the basic fact that UEFA was complicit at every step in getting the WC to Qatar.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Think either I’ve written a defence of UEFA I’m not seeing or you’re reading one I’ve not given.

UEFA are and were up to their necks in awarding and moving the World Cup, as was the French government with PSG. As was the ECA and Rummenigge and the really nice friend with the 100k euro watches.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

goatface posted:

Great Britain and Ireland.

Or the Anglo-Celtic massive.
The Isles of White

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah I get the olympics/world cup infrastructure idea, i just didn't know why 8 in particular. Vyelkin answered what I was asking about, sorry for accidentally starting a fight.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a thought:

Given that Infantino now lives part of the year in Qatar, how long after the WC do you think he will continue this arrangement?

Will they kick him out? Stop paying the rent on his luxury apartment, (as I assume they are doing)? Or will he just get somewhere nicer, (maybe Monaco?) to pay for his new one, and he'll gently caress off there.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Nah

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Everyone calm down we all agree that the crusades were a bad series of fixtures but don't call your fellow posters 'woke' like you're 100 years old

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Big props to the croatians for mooning the cameras
Thats a lotta rear end tatoos

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

the sex ghost posted:

Everyone calm down we all agree that the crusades were a bad series of fixtures but don't call your fellow posters 'woke' like you're 100 years old

It would also be useful if the broke brained cspan poster stopped calling everyone nazis

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I don't care what other forums people post in, if you're in here you're a TRP poster. Don't call other TRP posters broke brained. Don't call other TRP posters Nazis or woke or ask mods to make a ruling on England fans dressing like st George celebrating the crusades or whatever this is. It is 9 in the morning and more football will be here in an hour everyone please chill

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Let’s all clam down and watch the Catholics vs the Muslims in half an hour.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

lol the croatians mooning the cameras en masse rule

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1595344576964861953?t=ya34xNz-EgVNpw97LMmxfA&s=19

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

worth watching the video to see the actual flag in question, and: lol. lmao.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Qat_ar's rainy season is coming soon. Some security guy is going to see an actual rainbow and start firing randomly into the sky

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Failed Imagineer posted:

Qat_ar's rainy season is coming soon. Some security guy is going to see an actual rainbow and start firing randomly into the sky

In theory there can be one or two days of rain per month, yes.

Shooting can continue until weather improves, nevertheless

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Artificial cloud technology repurposed to create a big net to try and catch the rainbows

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The reason there are no artificial clouds is they found out water droplets make rainbows

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nice flag tbh

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Crusaders and gays? Couldn't be more offensive if you tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
pretty funny that the rainbow, a natural phenomenon ubiquitous in iconography throughout human history, is so terrifying to everybody involved that literally anything with a rainbow on it gets you banned for life