Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lotus Aura posted:

3rd Semester in Royal opening with a "walk around all of Tokyo and talk to your friends. 1 per day" bit should be quick and easy despite already being artificially padded to waste your time, but then straight up removing quick travel on top of that just serves to make it so incredibly tedious jeez

Agreed.

But also:
While it probably wouldn't have worked mechanically I think anyone you didn't have a confidant rank 10 with should have stayed in the Miruki world. You want me to choose you over my dead parents? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also the one where he mentions some abusive S&M thing and you can say "does the 'M' stand for 'Mishima'"

I'm pretty sure he responds 'maybe' so at least he knows his type.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Lotus Aura posted:

3rd Semester in Royal opening with a "walk around all of Tokyo and talk to your friends. 1 per day" bit should be quick and easy despite already being artificially padded to waste your time, but then straight up removing quick travel on top of that just serves to make it so incredibly tedious jeez

That, along with making you go to bed when Morgana runs off is a depression metaphor that almost works.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it's done that way to encourage you to look around and talk with the map NPCs just to see what changed also it's like ten minutes long come on

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also the one where he mentions some abusive S&M thing and you can say "does the 'M' stand for 'Mishima'"

"god i wish that were me" is a dialogue option as well iirc

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
I just finished the space palace. My gamepass ends this Saturday. I'm guessing there's no way I can finish the game within 8 hours playtime right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The speedrun is eight hours, I believe in you

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Takemi: You shouldn't do things without my permission
Joker: Punish me harder
Takemi: Jesus Christ kid

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Arist posted:

great i only play this game for number go up

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Lotus Aura posted:

It's pretty funny seeing what's different for your friends. On the one hand, you have characters like Futaba and Makoto with legit trauma who wish their dead parents back to life. On the other, you have characters like Morgana who wishes to be a hot human guy so he can score with Ann

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm coming up on the second palace in P5R, does the game ever... Open up? Lately I feel like I have one day a week where I can actually do something (i.e. choose a single thing to do) and other than that I'm watching story and having Morgana tell me to go to bed.

Don't get me wrong I love the story and the style, I'm just curious how linear the experience is

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a slow expansion of options and most of the free time blocks are during segments of the game with a deadline. But yes, it opens up.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The early game is definitely the most restricted in P5, once you have access to a few more Confidants the game does open up a bit and allow you to use more of your time. IIRC rushing the Temperance Confidant to a certain point once you get it will allow you to do stuff on nights you enter a Palace.

Maybe it's just me though, but vanilla P5 felt more restricted than P4. I haven't played Royal, which supposedly cut down on that, though.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe it's just me though, but vanilla P5 felt more restricted than P4. I haven't played Royal, which supposedly cut down on that, though.

I'm sure if you counted one or the other would technically have more free time but they felt the same to me. The initial railroading stops eventually and then is limited to plot/school trips/exams/etc. P5 does force you to do dungeons in 3-4 chunks for plot reasons so I guess there's that. Royal definitely improves many aspects (especially Momentos grinding) over the original but afaict any locked-down segments are still there.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

That's P4G. P5R is 12 hours currently.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does the trust percentage in the loading screens roughly correlate to how far through the game you are?

Edit: I should also mention that the MS Store/Gamepass version of this game broke mod support as it was written in the guide posted a few pages ago as of the latest update. There's now a new bootstrapper thing you need to install and it's a bit more of a painful process tbh. I had to uninstall everything/reinstall a couple times until it ended up working. There's new instructions out there on that same getting started guide which I didn't immediately realize.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 22, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

explosivo posted:

Does the trust percentage in the loading screens roughly correlate to how far through the game you are?

Not really no

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
FYI: Persona 5 Royal (PC Port) is on sale for 30-38% off on various storefronts.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
When I started P5R, it gave me the option to buy a lvl 90 Messiah Picaro, which I feel like is... way overpowered for the beginning of the game? Am I wrong? Are there way better Personas later on?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Count Thrashula posted:

When I started P5R, it gave me the option to buy a lvl 90 Messiah Picaro, which I feel like is... way overpowered for the beginning of the game? Am I wrong? Are there way better Personas later on?

All the DLC personas are way overpowered

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

"god i wish that were me" is a dialogue option as well iirc

The IRL Mishima responses seem to follow the pattern of "2 responses directly mocking or acting annoyed at Mishima + 1 response that is positive to the extent that it also seems to be mocking him." Like Mishima will say some insane poo poo and you can reply "Awesome. Keep up the good work."

The one thing that kinda annoys me about that social link is that Joker should have had a frank talk with Mishima *long* before things reach the point they do. I guess the silent protagonist thing throws a wrench in that, though.

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC rushing the Temperance Confidant to a certain point once you get it will allow you to do stuff on nights you enter a Palace.

This seemed to have limited use to me, since it's pretty much always easy to finish a Palace in one night (ironically the only times it's somewhat hard to finish in one run are in the early game when you have less SP items and reviving characters is difficult, but you don't have this ability at that point).

Feels Villeneuve posted:

All the DLC personas are way overpowered

I saw one that had a "using items after a baton pass doesn't use up the item" trait, which seems hilariously broken. I'm assuming you could use a Soma or something with it and just get a full HP/MP heal every time a party member hits a weak point.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 22, 2022

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
All DLC persona shouldn’t be touched on a first playthrough… except for raoul. If you itemize him you get a free hat.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

This seemed to have limited use to me, since it's pretty much always easy to finish a Palace in one night (ironically the only times it's somewhat hard to finish in one run are in the early game when you have less SP items and reviving characters is difficult, but you don't have this ability at that point).

It's most useful really when you combine it with the Fortune confidant's ability to trigger Fusion Alarms and multiple jaunts to Mementos. If you abuse it to the fullest, you could have a Joker with all his personas having max stats as early as the 5th Palace while still having time to rank up your confidants.

Ytlaya posted:

I saw one that had a "using items after a baton pass doesn't use up the item" trait, which seems hilariously broken. I'm assuming you could use a Soma or something with it and just get a full HP/MP heal every time a party member hits a weak point.

Yeah, Ariadne's trait is pretty nuts, which makes up for her unique attack being hot garbage. I basically built her with no active skills just to abuse the trait when I needed an item heal.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

That's actually one of the less broken ones, mostly because you don't get to baton pass in most boss or even miniboss fights. And if you're baton passing against normal foes you can almost always crush them anyway, especially if you have a decent elemental variety persona. So almost all the times you can use that ability are precisely when you don't need it. Ariadne Picaro is still pretty broken because you itemise her for two of the Auto-Ma skill cards. (This is the only time the difference between the base and the Picaro truly matters for your DLC personas. Also you get the important part of that from Bugs only a few levels later).

The DLC personas that I think are spectacularly broken are Orpheus F for a party wide triple-buff plus healing at L11, Kaguya for silvery arrows, the best non-almighty magic damage skill in the game and possibly the second highest damage skill in the game period at L16, and Inzanagi-no-Okami for the highest damage in the game, period (and it's almighty) as well as Victory Cry to recover everything after your inevitable win. For the rest I take the rule that if you can fuse 'em you can use 'em. They're all top tier offensively but their defences aren't great and that's what I tend to find important on Merciless. Grabbing them out of the compendium dozens of levels above you for a cost of 0 on the other hand is way too easy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

neonchameleon posted:

The DLC personas that I think are spectacularly broken are Orpheus F for a party wide triple-buff plus healing at L11, Kaguya for silvery arrows, the best non-almighty magic damage skill in the game and possibly the second highest damage skill in the game period at L16, and Inzanagi-no-Okami for the highest damage in the game, period (and it's almighty) as well as Victory Cry to recover everything after your inevitable win. For the rest I take the rule that if you can fuse 'em you can use 'em. They're all top tier offensively but their defences aren't great and that's what I tend to find important on Merciless. Grabbing them out of the compendium dozens of levels above you for a cost of 0 on the other hand is way too easy.

The Orpheus one us balanced some by its SP cost, which is a big problem early on. Still strong, though. I'm finally starting to get full-party buffs in the mid-30s now.

The only time I've used a DLC persona so far is phase 1 of Madarame, where I abused Shining Arrows to kill the eyes/nose fast (otherwise they instantly kill everyone unless I get lucky and they miss).

Speaking of Shining Arrows, Kaguya has one of the best persona designs IMO

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Spiffster posted:

All DLC persona shouldn’t be touched on a first playthrough… except for raoul. If you itemize him you get a free hat.

Is it a cool hat?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Shining Arrows, Kaguya has one of the best persona designs IMO

It's a killer design, easily the best thing about Marie

Also Raoul being DLC is absurd

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Alder posted:

Is it a cool hat?

It’s free ain’t it? That’s cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

It's a killer design, easily the best thing about Marie

Also Raoul being DLC is absurd

Yeah, I really don't get it. It just should be something given to the protagonist.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i sort of wish the DLC personas didn't show up when you're just fusing, but not using them when they naturally show up would be pretty dumb

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Just to make sure, there are certain persona you can’t fuse before third semester? Because I’m driving myself up the wall on filling out the compendium as much as possible before a potential NG+ run and the spots are all filled but it’s like 95 something percent. I know one of them is NG+ exclusive but that should account for around 5% roughly missing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spiffster posted:

Just to make sure, there are certain persona you can’t fuse before third semester? Because I’m driving myself up the wall on filling out the compendium as much as possible before a potential NG+ run and the spots are all filled but it’s like 95 something percent. I know one of them is NG+ exclusive but that should account for around 5% roughly missing

There's a couple of Personas like Shiva and Alice that can only be fused with specific input Personas

e: also you can't fuse the Faith max Persona until 3rd semester, obviously

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Given the DLC items for SP restore, the free heal+sp+megadamage from baton passing, the upgraded technical damage, early skills from fusion alarms, big item/cash/exp boosts in momentos, fusing above your level, alarm-boosted items, and probably a bunch of confidant perk power boosts I'm forgetting... I just didn't notice the DLC personas being a big deal. Sure you can summon The Best Guy straight out of the gate for free but you can also set the game to easy so :shrug:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Spiffster posted:

Yes.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Mailer posted:

Sure you can summon The Best Guy straight out of the gate for free but you can also set the game to merciless so :shrug:

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Not that I want to use them but because I appear to be an idiot, I opened a box way back at the start of the game that had costumes and items and stuff, but I never noticed any DLC personas for free at any point. How do these come into your posession?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

Not that I want to use them but because I appear to be an idiot, I opened a box way back at the start of the game that had costumes and items and stuff, but I never noticed any DLC personas for free at any point. How do these come into your posession?

In the velvet room, when you go to summon a registered persona, you will notice that there are dozens of very high level personas in your compendium that cost 0 to recall.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

They're in the compendium for 0 yen and have no summoning requirements. The price goes up to normal after you grab one, though by about 2/3 of the way through the game money stops being a limitation to anything. You'll eventually notice them pop up in your fusions as well.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
That makes sense, I haven't opened the compendium in P5. Thanks!

I just make whatever the strongest thing I can currently make is and use that whenever I enter a palace / mementos.

Last palace my persona was like 5-10 levels higher than my character and it was pretty funny being able almost one shot stuff without it being weak to me. Bit rough on the SP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How were the 3DS Q games?