Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

KPC_Mammon posted:

My insane conspiracy theory is that we are playing a spy for a second chaos faction and most of the maps and plot are under embargo because they involve loving up imperial guard. All of the player voice acting is highly heretical in nature, with what are clearly Khornate zealots and Tzeentch psykers. People keep talking about how they can't trust us and everyone is suspicious of each other. The game could pull a KOTOR.

It would even let them expand the weapon pool and give out the current interesting weapons sooner since we'd also have daemonic stuff to look forward to.

It isn't going to happen but I can dream.

that would be amazing but theres no way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Same in darktide, according to that trailer.

Oh gently caress yeah.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Medicae are cool, I had one say something about healing my ravaged body.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

i mean, sort of. I don't mind waiting, but if they can't keep the population up, it's a lot less fun. these types of games are fun when a bunch of people are playing them and queue times are short. so let's hope they get it fixed up in time to keep people interested

Yes? Yes.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

KPC_Mammon posted:

My insane conspiracy theory is that we are playing a spy for a second chaos faction and most of the maps and plot are under embargo because they involve loving up imperial guard. All of the player voice acting is highly heretical in nature, with what are clearly Khornate zealots and Tzeentch psykers. People keep talking about how they can't trust us and everyone is suspicious of each other. The game could pull a KOTOR.

It would even let them expand the weapon pool and give out the current interesting weapons sooner since we'd also have daemonic stuff to look forward to.

It isn't going to happen but I can dream.

The most unrealistic part of this is that there's going to be any more maps

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Considering the ship you do the prologue on doesn't blow up or anything when you leave it(and indeed appears to be mostly intact) I will not be surprised if we return to it in a future update or DLC for some missions to try and reclaim it

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

The ogryn's job is to be in front of you.

In front of you to catch shots meant for you. In front of you to block hordes and zerkers and shotgunners and dogs and maulers from your paper-thin rear end. In front of you because IF THEY ARE BEHIND YOU THEY AREN'T DOING ANYTHING - their weapons are all short range and their ult is about... going in front of you to sock snipers and gunners. In the face. So they stop shooting at you.
And no, they can't "just hug the wall" because they're in melee. So, dodging this way and that and trying no to get trapped.

Learn to deal with that (and to move *your* paper thin rear end to the side or up above), your blood pressure will thank you. Don't be a Kerillian main, man.

look, the ogryn actively moving in the way of my shots while I'm trying to shoot the gunner murdering the team is going to be unhelpful every time. I don't see what's controversial about this.

Either way it's mostly moot from where I stand, I play zealot with a flamer or psyker 99% of the time.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

what do you guys think of the pilot?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

CODChimera posted:

what do you guys think of the pilot?

Ammo!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

This is all picking nits.

People are going to block shots, hoover ammo, and shoot when it's suboptimal. You can either internalize your mental boogeyman and inch closer to the disconnect button every time an ogryn blocks you or a vet shoots an enemy when maybe he shouldn’t, or you can rip the bong and chill.

Like yeah there are people who do those things but I've seen people jump to conclusions about the quality of their team mates over a couple of bullets or a single mistake. Don't internalize the negativity. Hit more chaos.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What's the good axe with the cleave again?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

drat the force sword rules. The alt charge-up followed by a strong can delete maulers instantly. The force push is very useful too. The crowd clearing is just barely adequate but that's a fair price to pay.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
friendly fire but only on the ogryn

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Hey what's around this corn--

:shepface:

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Started an Ogryn character playing whatever the easiest difficulty level is called just to get a feel for things. Got a party with two lvl 20 something zealots both carrying flamers and chainswords. On the easiest difficulty level. Don't think I killed an enemy the entire run, just kinda jogged behind the rolling wave of destruction thinking "Is this fun? Is this what fun is?"

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Random Integer posted:

Started an Ogryn character playing whatever the easiest difficulty level is called just to get a feel for things. Got a party with two lvl 20 something zealots both carrying flamers and chainswords. On the easiest difficulty level. Don't think I killed an enemy the entire run, just kinda jogged behind the rolling wave of destruction thinking "Is this fun? Is this what fun is?"
They're probably trying to clear contracts in the most boring way possible.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Random Integer posted:

Theres a bunch of level 20+'s just chain running level 2 difficulty missions because its barely a challenge and you can crank them out in like 15 minutes, the contracts system is kind of stupid in that it requires a ridiculous amount of missions done as a weekly which incentivizes just picking short missions (Manpart/Horn of Magnus all over again).

Edit: Ogryn is by far the roughest start though. That newbie shotgun is just awful

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 23, 2022

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I shoot all the drat time. That ammo raid map with the security gate you have to defend? You bet I'm emptying my las rifle into the mob as they come from the hall and up the stairs, because every basic zombie I kill before they get to the main line is less pressure I have to deal with when I pull out my axe. Ammo is plentiful enough and most of my groups have a psyker anyway so there's less competition.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Does the ogryn 1-1 feat gives 100% thoughness regen to the whole team or just the player? It's not really that clear.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Theres a bunch of level 20+'s just chain running level 2 difficulty missions because its barely a challenge and you can crank them out in like 15 minutes, the contracts system is kind of stupid in that it requires a ridiculous amount of missions done as a weekly which incentivizes just picking short missions (Manpart/Horn of Magnus all over again).

My main issue with the mission system is that it feels like a complete downgrade from established systems, lots of people bring up Deeprock and they're 100% right. Secondary missions are a complete afterthought and very clearly display a mentality of "well Vermitide had these so we should too". A month ago during the beta you didn't even get partial credit for 1 grim.

What should have been done is some kind of basic reward where if you exit with all 3 scriptures or both grims you get an extra item drop reward, the most basic incentive. What makes it worse is that 3 scriptures is like 480xp and 2 grims are 760xp? But grims are an order of magnitude worse to do in terms of risk, for barely 300 extra xp?

In fact my main assumption about the mission system was that there would be a daily and weekly "raid" type mission that you would be working towards as you play. An unlockable challenge mission that you earned progress for as you completed missions on the map.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Demiurge4 posted:

I shoot all the drat time. That ammo raid map with the security gate you have to defend? You bet I'm emptying my las rifle into the mob as they come from the hall and up the stairs, because every basic zombie I kill before they get to the main line is less pressure I have to deal with when I pull out my axe. Ammo is plentiful enough and most of my groups have a psyker anyway so there's less competition.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter, if your gun has a decent ammo pool it rarely hurts to trim down a wave of enemies a little before you engage in the mosh pit

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On difficulty 3+ or endless horde missions you pretty much have to shoot the crowds because there will no doubt be about eleveny billion gunners who will open fire within a second of being alerted and then scatter behind every piece of scenery around.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Did a couple 3 ogryn missions yesterday.
10/10 would run again, lotsa smashing around and chain charges

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

KPC_Mammon posted:

The complaints I read from people about Ogryn makes me think most vets have never switched to melee and don't know how to dodge melee attacks to avoid getting murdered. You can't just stand still off to the side while in melee.

You absolutely can if someone with a decent gun is firing into the horde.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Either I got really lucky with latency spikes, or you can jump over mutants instead of dodging them. Twice now ive accidentally jumped over a mutant instead of side-dodging as ogryn, and twice it worked. I don't know if thats intended but I'm glad it works because it's fuckin hilarious.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This isn't Vermintide, ammo is legit plentiful unless you're all running basic autoguns/shotties/whatever ammo inefficient poo poo. Especially if you're running lasguns, which do capture the feel of being ludicrously ammo-efficient in lore. I've hardly seen dudes run out of ammo in my games; if anything, most of the time you don't get to magdump because of stragglers/teleporters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Insert name here posted:

Hey what's around this corn--

:shepface:

The emperor gave you those grenades for a reason

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

This isn't Vermintide, ammo is legit plentiful unless you're all running basic autoguns/shotties/whatever ammo inefficient poo poo. Especially if you're running lasguns, which do capture the feel of being ludicrously ammo-efficient in lore. I've hardly seen dudes run out of ammo in my games; if anything, most of the time you don't get to magdump because of stragglers/teleporters.

yeah that's one of the reasons i like the flashlight lasgun, 70 round mag and 700 ammo

i finally tried the shotgun, 9 round mag and like 50 ammo??? and the alt fire reloads one shell but you can cancel the normal reload after one shell anyway? seems really bizarre and strange. it could be because i have a purple axe, which i assume that means its good, and melee always felt better/safer than the shotgun. i'm just going by vibes though

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

👀

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's a repair mission in rotation right now, seems they've finally started showing up.

efb

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CODChimera posted:

yeah that's one of the reasons i like the flashlight lasgun, 70 round mag and 700 ammo

i finally tried the shotgun, 9 round mag and like 50 ammo??? and the alt fire reloads one shell but you can cancel the normal reload after one shell anyway? seems really bizarre and strange. it could be because i have a purple axe, which i assume that means its good, and melee always felt better/safer than the shotgun. i'm just going by vibes though

The shotgun special is loading up a shell with a different, horizontal spread pattern, intended for use against hordes:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

toasterwarrior posted:

I think ammo is generally pretty easy to manage, but that being said I just finished a mission at the smelter where there was 1 small ammo box in the entire final arena. We ran around prior to kicking off the event looking for ammo and thats all we could find, and we had to kill like 3 dogs, a trapper, 2 flamers, and some mutants while doing it which further depleted our ammo. When it got to the final wave holding part I was down to 5 bolter rounds and had to bank on getting the ammo back from elite killing to be able to kill the next elite, it was hairy!

Was the scarcest I've seen ammo pickups be in a level, as there was hardly any on the run up to the final arena too.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Perestroika posted:

The shotgun special is loading up a shell with a different, horizontal spread pattern, intended for use against hordes:

oh cool thanks. will try that out next time

Fishstick posted:

I like playing vet with ogryns around. If theyre manhandling an elite or a group of shooters I dont need to shoot it, and I can do other things like focusing solely on specials. Pop the gunners and enemies that they don't have the special eyes to see, and let them slap around the trash while you dump a grenade in their slap-pile every so often. Also bodyblocking works both ways, what you can't hit because of Ogryn flab, can't hit you. With 3 ogryns you have mobile cover everywhere even if theyre using starter equipment.

Other than the few transitions most maps have side corners, elevation, or flank passages that you can slip and slide to way faster than ogryn can get places if you really do need to set up for shots.

yeah and there's also tons of elevation to use. Ogryns are probably my favourite class to see on my team

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jerkface posted:

I think ammo is generally pretty easy to manage, but that being said I just finished a mission at the smelter where there was 1 small ammo box in the entire final arena. We ran around prior to kicking off the event looking for ammo and thats all we could find, and we had to kill like 3 dogs, a trapper, 2 flamers, and some mutants while doing it which further depleted our ammo. When it got to the final wave holding part I was down to 5 bolter rounds and had to bank on getting the ammo back from elite killing to be able to kill the next elite, it was hairy!

Was the scarcest I've seen ammo pickups be in a level, as there was hardly any on the run up to the final arena too.

Yeah, ammo woes are usually overstated, unless you've got some rear end in a top hat pub firing like, two shots of his pistol and picking up more. Or picking up the deployable box and then just never putting it down despite multiple asks in text and voice saying "bro could you use that? All four of us are out".

That being said, people get weird about the vet. Had a guy say i was shooting too much on the bridge horde defence (I had a braced autogun and I was having the time of my life, with more than enough ammo to spare). Had another dude get angry that i wasn't marking specials because "that's your loving job". I wasn't marking them because I was killing them, I only mark them when i'm reloading or can't otherwise deal with it right then and there.

I'm also on the side of "its a bit rude to jump in front of a guy who's shooting specials". You don't even need to do that to "protect" them, just swing your giant rear end knife or whatever near me for the half second it'll take for me to finish murdering the gunner.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

So uhhh. Starting from today my shop has only looked like this. Only ever two weapons, almost always out of my Trust level.
Anyone got a fix?
Because it is even harder trying to get an Evicerator now and it is literally all i want :smith:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, why does the sword for Zealot feel so much worse to use than the axe, or even the dagger.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Heard a lot of hype for the power sword for the veteran and yeah, it lives up to the hype, I see no reason to touch any other veteran weapon because it is a pure upgrade over every other melee weapon and trivializes both hordes and elites with infinite 1 shot cleave for the cost of just a very short special action windup that costs nothing, should cost like 50% overheating each time you do it to be remotely balanced.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Broken Cog posted:

Man, why does the sword for Zealot feel so much worse to use than the axe, or even the dagger.

Yeah I'm in the same boat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Id rather they make every weapon fun and powerful than make the powerful, fun weapons a chore to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Cowcaster posted:

zealots are the only class that has any benefits at all to not having max health and therefore the slimmest shred of an excuse to not use a medicae station that has four charges, right? it’s bolted to the wall folks you can’t take it with you and we’re not coming back to it later, just use the stupid thing

Always use the medicae if no on else needs it, especially to remove corrupt. I've been playing zealot to 18 and I don't even think of the bonus damage from low health, it looks like you take health damage even if you have toughness up. Like maybe 1 hp per hit depending on what you're dealing with.

The bonus damage from low health is hard to appreciate until it gets you downing mob with 1 less attack. And I'm not certain if it applies on ranged attacks but sure hope it does!