Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HD qualities are still processing, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ugRWjIDKzk

Not only did I pull it off, I motherfucking aced it.

Apologies for the Discord notifications at about 2:30. Also, that one hit I took was because this was the first time I decided to try using Magic Hands on that one bot instead of just jumping at it. I'm not redoing this to get a cleaner run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Part of me kind of wishes A/ S ranks still took that level of perseverance in the modern titles. Generations was almost insultingly simple.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Final Rush rules

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chieves posted:

Part of me kind of wishes A/ S ranks still took that level of perseverance in the modern titles. Generations was almost insultingly simple.

Yeah well it would be a few hours less perseverence if the game worked properly.

This ring trail works perfectly fine if you light dash along it.

This one, you sort of wiggle left and right as you dash along it. It has a decent chance of just missing the rail and throwing you into space.

You can't rail change onto this rail. The game just acts as if it doesn't exist and you fly into space and die. The weird part is that you can rail change onto it much further down the rail, right before the items on it. Unless you're going too fast, cause if you're grinding a rail really fast then almost all rail changes just fail and kill you.

This ceiling almost always pushes you to the left when you bounce up into it, and if you wind up landing on the very left edge of the boost pads, they spit you out too far over to hit the rail and then you're scrambling to fall just right to land on a rail you can't loving see.

If you miss the first ring or two of this trail and think 'oh, that's ok, I'll just light dash from the middle', you're a fool. You've fallen for one of the classic blunders. The light dash throws you through the rail, through the platform it's attached to, and out into space.

Any of the jump dashes onto vertical rails could have missed and killed me, and I'm pretty sure every single one of them has done at least once. The big jump that took me to the ring box trail could have inexplicably not gone high enough. The ring box trail could have failed by my homing attack running out right before hitting the last one, meaning I go through it and fall into space instead of bouncing off. More than once, tiny camera movements have altered the direction of my input just enough to miss rails I'm trying to land on completely. My original strategy involved skipping most of the big spiralling rail by falling onto the lower section (turns out that's actually slower than crouch-grinding the entire thing) and if I accidentally jumped off the wrong bit of terrain, Sonic's gravity could be pointing in a weird direction and I'd be perpetually falling sideways while trying to hit the rail. The list goes on and on and on.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 21, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What the hell? Sonic Frontiers is actually pretty good. And not even “a step in the right direction” it’s actually good.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
30 years since Sonic 2's release..

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i played SA2 on its gamecube re-release at age 13 or 14 and even back then i felt like the final set of stages were busted. you should not spend that long falling unguided through a great void between grindrails

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Detective No. 27 posted:

What the hell? Sonic Frontiers is actually pretty good. And not even “a step in the right direction” it’s actually good.

It's solid. It's janky af and the visual glitches are bad but it's well put together conceptually, it's absolutely a proof of concept, it's a whole Kind of Game they can build on, and now they have some time to figure out some art design, they unified almost all the goddamn canon, they established a continuity, they built a good set of basic mechanical ideas, and, my god, if they can keep this musical direction up and deliver a few more bosses like that in the next game it might _actually_ get on a GotY category other than soundtrack (of which it was loving robbed).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fedule posted:

It's solid. It's janky af and the visual glitches are bad but it's well put together conceptually, it's absolutely a proof of concept, it's a whole Kind of Game they can build on, and now they have some time to figure out some art design, they unified almost all the goddamn canon, they established a continuity, they built a good set of basic mechanical ideas, and, my god, if they can keep this musical direction up and deliver a few more bosses like that in the next game it might _actually_ get on a GotY category other than soundtrack (of which it was loving robbed).

But enough about Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kurieg posted:

But enough about Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

glass-half-full gamers are eating good right now

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I would play the gently caress out of Switch ports of the Adventure games

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Fedule posted:

Except considering this is Sonic Team we're talking about, it's safe to assume they're just gonna huff a bunch of nitrous oxide and forget everything they did right instead of building upon a winning formula and sensible storytelling ideas.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LNkxn4qkhY

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

Apologies for the Discord notifications at about 2:30. Also, that one hit I took was because this was the first time I decided to try using Magic Hands on that one bot instead of just jumping at it. I'm not redoing this to get a cleaner run.

Nice job man, A ranking Final Rush can be brutal. Great level though, miles better than Shadow's version of it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dabir posted:

Beautiful :discourse:

I can't believe I'm still seeing routes through this stage for the first time.

Also, the new ThorHighHeels video on Frontiers is amazing

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I will admit that I wasn't expecting Sonic smarks to get on board with Frontiers.

Personally, I think it's good, but a bit lacking in the Sonic flavor. Trying to be classier & dignified than usual when I'm here for buttrock and melodramatic anime plots played out via stupid chipmunks. Gameplay is very strong though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Neurolimal posted:

Personally, I think it's good, but a bit lacking in the Sonic flavor. Trying to be classier & dignified than usual when I'm here for buttrock and melodramatic anime plots played out via stupid chipmunks. Gameplay is very strong though.

The boss battles are a high watermark for buttrock and anime content both, though! They managed to recapture the feelings of Dreamcast kid fighting Perfect Chaos or the lizard with a space station up its butt, but multiple times in a single game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, i dont think its really trying to be 'classier and dignified.' if anything the angle its going for is very anime, its just the anime arc where the characters are going through it a bit emotionally.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Honestly I'm a huge fan of how they managed to make the Super Sonic gameplay feel like both an obvious escalation from the usual but also completely seamless in control and mechanics, like, you're doing the same things, just bigger and wilder and flashier. It absolutely rules. Also, and see if you can detect the theme in my praise lately, it reminds me a lot of Bayonetta, where the headline bosses all have you ramp up the mechanics (and sometimes take flight) while keeping the controls and the systems the same. Now that I think about it, Super Sonic basically has wicked weaves if you look.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

The boss battles are a high watermark for buttrock and anime content both, though! They managed to recapture the feelings of Dreamcast kid fighting Perfect Chaos or the lizard with a space station up its butt, but multiple times in a single game.

the cyloop sound effect reminds me of the sound when you're spiraling up perfect chaos, it rules

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Fedule posted:

Also, and see if you can detect the theme in my praise lately, it reminds me a lot of Bayonetta, where the headline bosses all have you ramp up the mechanics (and sometimes take flight) while keeping the controls and the systems the same. Now that I think about it, Super Sonic basically has wicked weaves if you look.

not to mention a witch time mechanic in parrying

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

drat I definitely noticed the level layout for 3-1...Shadow's version of Ancient Forest, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

drat I definitely noticed the level layout for 3-1...Shadow's version of Ancient Forest, right?

I assumed it was Sonic's Green Forest (there's even a section of sinking platforms at the end)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 22, 2022

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Oops, I got them mixed up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Larryb posted:

I assumed it was Sonic's Green Forest (there's even a section of sinking platforms at the end)

That's 100% what it is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For that matter, does anybody have a complete list of all the past level designs referenced in this game?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Larryb posted:

For that matter, does anybody have a complete list of all the past level designs referenced in this game?

Whoever made this video is fairly sure they know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeV0frjmPx4

Spoilers, obviously.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

Whoever made this video is fairly sure they know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeV0frjmPx4

Spoilers, obviously.

So mostly they pulled from Sonic 1-3K, SA2, and Unleashed from what I see. Figured as much

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

More Generations than 1-3K.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I've only beaten the first island so far. I found Sonic and Amy 's dynamic interesting. It's a lot more mature than previous games. Will be interesting to see how he talks to Knuckles

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VostokProgram posted:

I've only beaten the first island so far. I found Sonic and Amy 's dynamic interesting. It's a lot more mature than previous games. Will be interesting to see how he talks to Knuckles

Unlike Sonic, Knuckles has always been a very serious small mammal.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
He'd rather display his gains.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just started on the second island, and while I am really liking the game, the Striders there are seriously pissing me off. The first phase is no problem, but the second phase where it starts leaving fireballs on the rails is giving me trouble, between the legs completely blocking the view as you go (who thought that this was a good idea?) and it occasionally shooting a fireball directly at you because gently caress you.

I haven't freed Knuckles yet so I do not know if he gates a technique to make that fight a bit easier. I could also try jumping instead of switching rails to avoid fireballs though it is awkward in that it kills your momentum if you do that. Alternatively, I could also pump myself up so I can kill them on the first phase and never have to deal with the second phase ever again. What else am I missing?

EDIT: Another idea is hopping off if I get hit and do cyloop donuts for rings. Would take longer but I could outlast them, provided that it doesn't kill my progress if I do that.

EDIT2: That last part did it. Pure attrition it is then.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 23, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5-WNga3Fhs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Going through and listening to everything on this person's channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGIS32u-wlg

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Finally hit the credits then went for the hard version of the final boss. New phase wasn't what I was expecting but that was still great to pull off.

Genuinely good story, which I didn't expect going in mostly blind, and I liked the characters but especially Eggman. Those memo logs were a great touch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, Eggman is usually one of the better parts of any Sonic media. As I’ve said before, assuming she’s going to be part of Eggman’s group going forward I’ll be curious what they do with Sage in the future (she’s still loyal to her father but has also come to respect Sonic a fair bit now)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Momentum mod seems cool af

https://youtu.be/rkyVnFlRKeM

E: those midi tracks go so hard holy poo poo

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Just finished the second island boss, Wyvern

That...that was loving insanity :piss: :tviv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Crazy Gadget mission 5 done. That level would be completely intolerable if you didn't have Magic Hands, there's just so many artificial chaos spammed all over in such inconvenient places. Gun beetles too, towards the end. 144/155 A ranks, just Final Rush 5, all of Final Chase and all of Cannon's Core left.