Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Wolfeinstein: The New Order and The Old Blood -- is there any passage of time that isn't articulated by BJ getting knocked out by a rock or shrapnel or by being crushed by a wall or hit with a rifle or fall from some arbitrary height? This dude can single-handedly massacre the entire Third Reich and endure shotgun blasts and rockets and bullets and knives and claws and lasers and fire but poo poo here comes another fuckin rock

There is this montage of time passing and it shows it all through BJ's eyes and -- I should post this in the Little Things In Games thread -- I only now realize it's to illustrate how awful it is to be BJ where beds give you nightmares and you can only otherwise sleep if crushed by a collapsing ceiling or an oxygen tank hits you or you're stepped on by a mech or

credburn has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

2house2fly posted:

Well, fiction gravitates towards trilogies, so there's inevitably going to be a sequel to Ragnarok that's got to be about something

lmao if you think a AAA company is gonna stop at 3 just because "the story is finished". shareholders want 'safe' projects to spend their hundred-million-dollar dev budgets so we are gonna keep making sequels until the end of time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

lmao if you think a AAA company is gonna stop at 3 just because "the story is finished". shareholders want 'safe' projects to spend their hundred-million-dollar dev budgets so we are gonna keep making sequels until the end of time.

They can reboot it and call the next game The God of War, or God of War: Origins.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
They need to keep going through mythologies until they make an actually extant faith or religion mad.

They've done Greece, they're on their way through Norse, presumably next is Egypt. After that, though, I think they have to break the seal and kill something modern people actually believe in; all the dead religions after those three are too niche to be a fun pitch for a 'kill gods' game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Cleretic posted:

They need to keep going through mythologies until they make an actually extant faith or religion mad.

They've done Greece, they're on their way through Norse, presumably next is Egypt. After that, though, I think they have to break the seal and kill something modern people actually believe in; all the dead religions after those three are too niche to be a fun pitch for a 'kill gods' game.

I'd like to see him take on the 200+ gods in the Aztec mythology.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t like a lot of these Shinespark challenges,m in Metroid Dread. I’ll be 100% honest, I’ve only beaten Fusion and Zero Mission so maybe there were a whole bunch of upgrades in Super/Samus’ Return you could only reach by triggering the shinespark state and rushing to the speed boost blocks but somehow I doubt it because shinesparking into a morph ball and then speed boosting seems like a new innovation.

Normally I wouldn’t care but (what I assume is) the final boss is actually pretty tough since he doesn’t have much openings to just unload everything in phase 2, so it kinda sucks to explore more to power up and have pieces of sub tanks locked behind unfun puzzles. Part of me wonders if having these little gauntlets is then compensating for being able to just scan for breakable blocks instead of blasting every wall like an insane woman.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

credburn posted:

Elden Ring of War

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I don’t like a lot of these Shinespark challenges,m in Metroid Dread. I’ll be 100% honest, I’ve only beaten Fusion and Zero Mission so maybe there were a whole bunch of upgrades in Super/Samus’ Return you could only reach by triggering the shinespark state and rushing to the speed boost blocks but somehow I doubt it because shinesparking into a morph ball and then speed boosting seems like a new innovation.

Normally I wouldn’t care but (what I assume is) the final boss is actually pretty tough since he doesn’t have much openings to just unload everything in phase 2, so it kinda sucks to explore more to power up and have pieces of sub tanks locked behind unfun puzzles. Part of me wonders if having these little gauntlets is then compensating for being able to just scan for breakable blocks instead of blasting every wall like an insane woman.

More than any other metroid, a bunch of my backtracking for items in metroid dread just led to me throwing my hands up and moving on because I'd discover the item required doing some insane combination of things with shinespark and I only had the faintest idea of how to achieve maybe half of what it wanted.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

More than any other metroid, a bunch of my backtracking for items in metroid dread just led to me throwing my hands up and moving on because I'd discover the item required doing some insane combination of things with shinespark and I only had the faintest idea of how to achieve maybe half of what it wanted.

That sounds... what's a word meaning the opposite of pleasant or comforting... something this would fill you with...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

does this puzzle shinespark joy?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I never was into the idea that the old God of War games existed in a greater context with other cultures and pantheons in the setting. Greek mythology themed action game was all I ever wanted out of it, either back then or now.

e: if you don't keep that sort of thing focused it's just gonna morph into Assassin's Creed but with theology

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Nov 22, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cleretic posted:

Kratos meets the Buddha on the road… and kills him.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

My Lovely Horse posted:

I never was into the idea that the old God of War games existed in a greater context with other cultures and pantheons in the setting. Greek mythology themed action game was all I ever wanted out of it, either back then or now.

e: if you don't keep that sort of thing focused it's just gonna morph into Assassin's Creed but with theology

Which is basically where Assassin's Creed ended up, too

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Kratos vs the Mayans. Let me kick in the doors to Xibalba

quote:

The city was home to at least six deadly houses filled with trials for visitors. The first was Dark House, a house that was completely dark inside. The second was Rattling House or Cold House, full of bone-chilling cold and rattling hail. The third was Jaguar House, filled with hungry jaguars. The fourth was Bat House, filled with dangerous shrieking bats, and the fifth was Razor House, filled with blades and razors that moved about of their own accord. In another part of the Popol Vuh, a sixth test, Hot House, filled with fires and heat, is identified. The purpose of these tests was to either kill or humiliate people placed into them if they could not outwit the test.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Last Celebration posted:

In Super you never had to do anything more complex than shinespark diagonally. I don't remember Fusion having anything too egregious, but that game had different issues with how it hid items. What it did have was an Easter egg where doing a very precise and complicated chain of shinespark nonsense got you a hidden message.

Zero Mission is where they decided to lock the last 6-8 items behind convoluted shinespark bullshit, one of which required ballsparking.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Byzantine posted:

We outright see it. The same game that shows the Persians shows the Sun fall from the sky, the game that mentions Egypt exists also shows the Greek primordials creating the world, and whatever Jaffe's original plans were, GoW1 by itself says that Kratos controls all war everywhere for everybody once he becomes a god.

One of the other sequel ideas was that the US Army would find Kronos' skeleton and the Temple of Pandora during the invasion of Iraq, which I am disappointed never materialized.

You mentioned the sun falling out of the sky a few times, and I didn't remember it even though it absolutely sounds like the kind of imagery these games would revel in. I did remember Helios's horrific death in 3, so I looked that up to double check. The sun doesn't fall. It doesn't move at all. It gets blocked by clouds. The sun is fine up there, it just can no longer reach Greece (although the game is inconsistent about that since there's definitely natural sunlight in outdoor areas after that scene). That's all that matters in the old games, because that's where they are. The only thing indicating the outside world is affected at all is dramatic language from the narrator, who I'm pretty sure Kratos also kills by the end.

The epilogue about Kratos's reign and power in GoW1 is also immediately retconned at the start of 2, where it turns out he's mostly just been leading Sparta to attack its neighbors just like Ares did. And not for long, because then the plot of that game happens.

The point I'm trying to make is that even if Asgard being around somewhere out there contradicts something from the old games, it doesn't matter because they contradict themselves whenever they want. Because it's not a series concerned with lore and canon, it's concerned with whatever would look coolest to the devs right now. It's about spectacle. It's still about spectacle. For all the hoopla about fatherhood and responsibility in the new games, they will still happily drop everything to fight a flying dragon from inside its own jaws or have a fist fight that tears up miles of mountain like some sort of old man DBZ. In Ragnarok, they go from Kratos having traumatic dreams about his dead wife to getting Thor hitting him with a Psycho Crusher through a statue of his brother in a span of like 10 minutes.

The old games and the new games have problems, sure. But inconsistent lore is so low on that list that it's arguably not even on it.

Anyway, speaking of Ragnarok's problems, my theory that there's exec at Sony that will shut down your whole studio if your game doesn't have a crafting system with a billion different types of interchangeable resources is getting stronger.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Crowetron posted:

You mentioned the sun falling out of the sky a few times, and I didn't remember it even though it absolutely sounds like the kind of imagery these games would revel in. I did remember Helios's horrific death in 3, so I looked that up to double check. The sun doesn't fall. It doesn't move at all. It gets blocked by clouds. The sun is fine up there, it just can no longer reach Greece (although the game is inconsistent about that since there's definitely natural sunlight in outdoor areas after that scene). That's all that matters in the old games, because that's where they are. The only thing indicating the outside world is affected at all is dramatic language from the narrator, who I'm pretty sure Kratos also kills by the end.

Actress Linda Hunt voices the narrator, which is Gaia, in God of War II. But III separated both roles again and Gaia has different VA in III.

Edit: I'm not sure if you even hear the narrator in III outside of the start of the intro cinematic.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Nov 22, 2022

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The only thing I remember about GoW 3 is killing Heracles by pressing R3 & L3 to gouge his eyes out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ah but you did halfway remember something correctly

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Now to figure out what the hell game I was thinking of

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

It was Poseidon not Heracles

And I hate to be that guy but it’s technically L3 and R3

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

:kratos:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
More like oldfanless because you're being very rude.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

oldpainless posted:

It was Poseidon not Heracles

And I hate to be that guy but it’s technically L3 and R3

You love being that guy, don't lie

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

You love being that guy, don't lie

I do. I really do.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Actually I don’t but I’m extremely non confrontational and agree with whatever people say

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’m getting into what seems like the last stretch of Jedi Fallen Order and I think it’s a good game that would be actually better if it embraced the Metroidvania element a bit more. It’s a surprisingly linear game and while you can technically backtrack and explore it feels like it’s never incentivized, let alone necessary- the story’s always telling you where to go next and how to get there is rarely an issue. Definitely feels like they went in with the directive “the player never gets stuck.”

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cleretic posted:

He's going to go after the Japanese gods and we're going to get Kratos with a katana.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

He's going to fight the Yamata no Orochi and get his hands on the Imperial Regalia of Japan.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Maxwell Lord posted:

I’m getting into what seems like the last stretch of Jedi Fallen Order and I think it’s a good game that would be actually better if it embraced the Metroidvania element a bit more. It’s a surprisingly linear game and while you can technically backtrack and explore it feels like it’s never incentivized, let alone necessary- the story’s always telling you where to go next and how to get there is rarely an issue. Definitely feels like they went in with the directive “the player never gets stuck.”

Yeah you revisit a few areas but that's not quite the same. Plus some bits (notably the back half of Kashyyyk) are incredibly linear and aren't fun to go back through.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

He's going to fight the Yamata no Orochi and get his hands on the Imperial Regalia of Japan.

If this ends with Kratos in Warriors Oriochi 5 I'm up for it. Hell, 4 already had Greek and Norse gods as playable characters.

Evil West is big dumb fun and feels like a beat em up version of Bulletstorm, but the lack of a hard lock on, instead soft locking to the nearest enemy to your aim point. That and the tight camera make groups more frustrating that they should be.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Speaking of Kratos and lock-on, the entire time I've played both newer God of War games, they seem like they're designed expressly to break your target lock as often as possible. Not just when you take heavy damage or the enemies teleport, I feel like I spend half of every fight toggling the target button because it constantly drops out.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

credburn posted:

They do have an association with massive bloodshed and sacrifice, they'd be hypocrites if they complained about being subjected to them by Kratos!

Len posted:

Kratos vs the Mayans. Let me kick in the doors to Xibalba

That does sound like a GoW set of levels, just need to think of some ways for Kratos to creatively kill bats and jaguars with brutal attacks (I vote rip the jaguars in half in the name of upholding a GoW traditional glory kill, and scream in the face of the bats so loud their heads explode) and the right puzzles for the other locations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Crowetron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htAhbBeELeY&t=540s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God of War (the new one that started last decade) DLC where that rear end in a top hat Sun Wukong- or someone else, I don't know any other time God's aside from the already-dead Kronos- pulls Kratos from either God of War 2 or 3 out of a portal and makes him a super boss fight for you.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Okay but then in 3, Helios gets out and out murdered and this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jku9lkqwwYA&t=516s
(8:36 if the timestamp messes up)

It doesn't move an inch. It just gets covered by clouds which...Hang on, now I'm confused. Why does it just get covered clouds? Everything else in these games is big and bombastic and over-the-top. Why didn't it explode or wink out or shatter like glass or something? That's a prerendered part of the cutscene, they didn't have to worry about engine limitations. Blow it up! It's the apocalypse! What the gently caress, director Stig Asmussen? Sonic Adventure 2 blew up the moon! You can blow up a sun.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Crowetron posted:

It doesn't move an inch. It just gets covered by clouds which...Hang on, now I'm confused. Why does it just get covered clouds? Everything else in these games is big and bombastic and over-the-top. Why didn't it explode or wink out or shatter like glass or something? That's a prerendered part of the cutscene, they didn't have to worry about engine limitations. Blow it up! It's the apocalypse! What the gently caress, director Stig Asmussen? Sonic Adventure 2 blew up the moon! You can blow up a sun.

It actually does vanish, you can see later during the Hermes chase that it's night beyond the stormclouds. Hera also says the sun is gone.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It probably says a lot about me that I either haven't encountered or noticed most of the things people are actually complaining about, but this specific thing is what bothers me most about it: they made one of the gym leaders a streamer, and then wrote her COMPLETELY wrong.

Iona's clearly designed and presented specifically like a vtuber; when you see her actual stream layout it's framed the right way, her design's so pitch-perfect for it that you can actually pinpoint a few elements that show who they were inspired by, and overall the visual design is just absolutely nailing it. But the writing lets her down entirely, basically just writing her as a 'pop idol' character (very clear Splatoon vibes, actually) with a bunch of lines about likes, subscribes, viewers and the like. It actually reads like the writers hadn't just not watched any vtubers, but any streamers at all, because they completely missed the part where a huge part of the appeal even with vtubers is that you're just hanging out with a real person, even if they're playing things up for the audience.

I know Pokemon's not exactly known for realistically-written characters, but Iona feels like she was written to be overtly and deliberately fake and 'stage persona', despite being given a job that's largely known for (at least feigned) authenticity.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Nov 23, 2022

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Cleretic posted:

It probably says a lot about me that I either haven't encountered or noticed most of the things people are actually complaining about, but this specific thing is what bothers me most about it: they made one of the gym leaders a streamer, and then wrote her COMPLETELY wrong.

Iona's clearly designed and presented specifically like a vtuber; when you see her actual stream layout it's framed the right way, her design's so pitch-perfect for it that you can actually pinpoint a few elements that show who they were inspired by, and overall the visual design is just absolutely nailing it. But the writing lets her down entirely, basically just writing her as a 'pop idol' character (very clear Splatoon vibes, actually) with a bunch of lines about likes, subscribes, viewers and the like. It actually reads like the writers hadn't just not watched any vtubers, but any streamers at all, because they completely missed the part where a huge part of the appeal even with vtubers is that you're just hanging out with a real person, even if they're playing things up for the audience.

I know Pokemon's not exactly known for realistically-written characters, but Iona feels like she was written to be overtly and deliberately fake and 'stage persona', despite being given a job that's largely known for authenticity.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Cleretic posted:

I know Pokemon's not exactly known for realistically-written characters, but Iona feels like she was written to be overtly and deliberately fake and 'stage persona', despite being given a job that's largely known for (at least feigned) authenticity.

My dude...