Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m enjoying Earthspark a lot, and they’re setting up a lot. It suffers a bit from people not mentioning things to other people. And Rory McCann’s accent slips back to Scottish a lot, but he gives Megatron a unique voice. The little continuity nods are great though, and I love Dad Molto. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The_Doctor posted:

I’m enjoying Earthspark a lot, and they’re setting up a lot. It suffers a bit from people not mentioning things to other people. And Rory McCann’s accent slips back to Scottish a lot, but he gives Megatron a unique voice. The little continuity nods are great though, and I love Dad Molto. :3:

Rory's doing Megatron? Blimey.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

My biggest aesthetic complaint with Earthspark is how loathsome and smelly all the brand management is. It's a show where the characters call themselves Transformers, the brand name, as a species, which is always cheap and lousy, combined with the trademark control bullshit of almost never using "transform" as a verb. It's so grating.

Wait, what are they supposed to call themselves? "Cybertronians"?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah sure, or some other fake Latin name or something.

And it's fine, humans can call them transformers. The big issue is when one of the Terrans is having a bit emotional moment about finally transforming and the dialogue has been doctored by lawyers to say "I did it! I changed shape!!!" in the same episode where Bumblebee says "changing shape is why we're called Transformers, it's in our name". It's nails on a chalkboard bad and it's not any writer or voice actor's fault, it's all acidic corporate bullshit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tighclops posted:

Wait, what are they supposed to call themselves? "Cybertronians"?

I always figured that was the equivalent of being called American or Canadian, it’s where they’re from, not the name of their species.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That Mandroid guy called them something latin-ish and changed it to Terran for the Terrans.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do remember as a kid being a little surprised that Starscream said he needed 'more Transformers' during Starscream's Brigade because it felt like you didn't actually hear the word that much.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Potsticker posted:

That Mandroid guy called them something latin-ish and changed it to Terran for the Terrans.

Cybertronus cybertronii

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The Mandroid guy seems super stupid but that's funny to me so I'm for it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

I always figured that was the equivalent of being called American or Canadian, it’s where they’re from, not the name of their species.

This is how I interpreted it, I never had a problem with them referring to themselves as Transformers. I think having a fake name for them doesn't really work for the same reason nobody calls the Predators by their proper name

Not be able to say transform or transforming because of corporate rules lawyering is stupid though

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

DoctorWhat posted:

And it's fine, humans can call them transformers. The big issue is when one of the Terrans is having a bit emotional moment about finally transforming and the dialogue has been doctored by lawyers to say "I did it! I changed shape!!!" in the same episode where Bumblebee says "changing shape is why we're called Transformers, it's in our name". It's nails on a chalkboard bad and it's not any writer or voice actor's fault, it's all acidic corporate bullshit.

Everyone fondly remembers Optimus Prime's iconic catchphrase "Autobots, change shape and advance!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I laughed when Mandroid’s Moving Castle appeared.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dabir posted:

Cosmos is actually discounted from its original price in the UK lol. I was in Smyths the other day and there were two foing for £20 each, down from £25.
Well poo poo, guess I should hit up Smyths soon and start taking goon orders.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bumblebee literally says “transforming” in one episode. I think the show is just like, using other ways of expressing it for variety.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah sure, or some other fake Latin name or something.

Ignorance truly is bliss, I honestly hadn't noticed it at all before you pointed it out. We'll see how much I hate it now that I will be on the lookout I guess.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/tfw2005/status/1595217577080676352?s=20&t=hIY-w1-LonX5Sc_txv-fCw

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I felt my soul die when I heard one of the Terran names later on...

Which one sounds completely out of place and just there because the olds thought it would be hip with the youths...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Amazon has Coronation Starscream for $32

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently the difference between this Airazor and the last one that leaked are due to the movie being delayed. The first one was from the movie mainline that was supposed to come out earlier this year with the film, and this one is for next year's Studio Series.

And despite obviously having a lot of shared engineering, the Studio Series version is actually a completely different mold from Kingdom Airazor:

I wonder if the other Studio Series versions of the movie beasts are going to follow suit? If this type of "remold without re-engineering" approach makes it cheap enough to produce new figures, I wouldn't mind seeing them do this for offscreen characters as well. I definitely miss the days of movie lines throwing in guys like Skyhammer and Bludgeon, and the Airazor approach feels like it might be a middleground between "repaint with new head" and "totally new mold with unique engineering". It doesn't sound like there will be any Predacons in the movie, so remolding something like Kingdom Megatron into a Pseudo-Transmetal movie version would be pretty cool.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Feels a bit weird for the movie toy line and the studio series line to come so close together. I always felt like the point of studio series was a do-over to nail things that couldn't have been done with the toy engineering of a decade prior. This feels like a Siege/Earthrise situation, where the first one only exists to make you think this is the best you're going to get, then the second one is what you actually wanted after they've already got your money for the first one.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 23, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Did the Bumblebee movie even get a dedicated movie toyline aside from the cheaper, less complicated toys? I thought everything “mainline” went through Studio Series. Seems weird that we’d get a “deluxe” movie line Airazor right alongside a SS deluxe Airazor, at ostensibly the same price point. Like I get that they both exist because the movie got delayed, but why would anyone buy the inferior version?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well the plan was always for the Studio Series toys to come out in 2023. It's the mainline, concept-art-derived kid's toys that got delayed alongside with the movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Seems weird that we’d get a “deluxe” movie line Airazor right alongside a SS deluxe Airazor, at ostensibly the same price point. Like I get that they both exist because the movie got delayed, but why would anyone buy the inferior version?

Apparently the kid-focused movie line was/is going to be Deluxes only, so Airazor is just a character who would get released as a Deluxe in both lines, while someone like Primal or Rhinox will probably get Voyager or Leader molds that are a more clear upgrade from the previous version.

Seibertron.com posted:

The big difference isn't the complexity, it's the sculpt and detail. The initial Airazor we saw is part of the Rise of the Beasts mainline that was supposed to be out months ago. That line mirrors the Earthspark and Cyberverse lines where the entire line is aimed at kids but there are deluxes which may interest fans as well due to their more standard complexity. Since these were worked on early, all toys in that line are based on early movie designs so that they could be sold in stores in summer of 2022 for kids and parents to buy, along with the 2022 holiday season. Also, it would be a unified class so all bots would be relatively the same size, and there would just be deluxes, no voyagers or leaders.

EDIT:

All this talk about size classes kind of makes me wonder if the names of some of them wouldn't make more sense if they switched. The original Beast Wars Deluxes were made in comparison to the Basic size class, but they were so successful that they became the "core" size class of the franchise moving forward, and were no longer "deluxe". Voyagers should be called "Deluxe", and the current Core class would actually make sense as Voyagers, since they're small enough for kids to carry around in their pockets.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 23, 2022

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Robot Style posted:

Apparently the kid-focused movie line was/is going to be Deluxes only, so Airazor is just a character who would get released as a Deluxe in both lines, while someone like Primal or Rhinox will probably get Voyager or Leader molds that are a more clear upgrade from the previous version.

EDIT:

All this talk about size classes kind of makes me wonder if the names of some of them wouldn't make more sense if they switched. The original Beast Wars Deluxes were made in comparison to the Basic size class, but they were so successful that they became the "core" size class of the franchise moving forward, and were no longer "deluxe". Voyagers should be called "Deluxe", and the current Core class would actually make sense as Voyagers, since they're small enough for kids to carry around in their pockets.

The only thing worse than the current class nomenclature would be changing it in mid stream

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Where did the Voyager name even come from?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It comes from TF Cybertron! Because that show was about space travel. And it just never went away because they used the same terminology for TF07, which became very permanent. Scout comes from Cybertron, too. Before that, the Armada and Energon lines had names like "super-con" and "max-con" to contrast with mini-cons. RiD01 kept the "basic, deluxe, mega, ultra" sizes from the Beast Era.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/Aquatic_Dan/status/1595565213117562880

Haha it really does

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Did the Bumblebee movie even get a dedicated movie toyline aside from the cheaper, less complicated toys? I thought everything “mainline” went through Studio Series. Seems weird that we’d get a “deluxe” movie line Airazor right alongside a SS deluxe Airazor, at ostensibly the same price point. Like I get that they both exist because the movie got delayed, but why would anyone buy the inferior version?
Bumblebee only had like 3 Transformers, sorry, Cybertronians, with more that 5 minutes of screentime. Not that they couldn't have easily padded a line with the cameos from the intro on Cybertron like they did in Studio Series, but they might have felt there weren't enough full characters to justify a line.

DoctorWhat posted:

RiD01 kept the "basic, deluxe, mega, ultra" sizes from the Beast Era.
This has always been my favorite version the size classes. A nice clear progression of complexity, though I guess mega/ultra could swap places and are kind of ambiguous. But ultimately if you hear a toy's a ultra you know right away that it's probably a bigger figure than something called a deluxe. You don't get that with something called voyager.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think they wanted to drop Mega because of Megatron.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Knormal posted:

Bumblebee only had like 3 Transformers, sorry, Cybertronians, with more that 5 minutes of screentime. Not that they couldn't have easily padded a line with the cameos from the intro on Cybertron like they did in Studio Series, but they might have felt there weren't enough full characters to justify a line.

I still think it was a shame that Barricade got a 1980s mode in the toyline, and I think his voice actor even said he’d be in the movie, and then he was nowhere to be seen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I still think it was a shame that Barricade got a 1980s mode in the toyline, and I think his voice actor even said he’d be in the movie, and then he was nowhere to be seen.

There was also a Soundwave that becomes a band van in reference to Shattered Glass. I would love a Studio Series of that based on SS86 Ironhide.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/Jalaguy/status/1595528644373405702

I've always found the Voyager size class annoying cause it doesn't mean anything size wise. Like Legion, Core, base or whatever can mean "small things" or at least "you can buy a lot of these guys cause they're the small cheap guys." Deluxe just meant fancy or better version of the core guys, especially in the case of the TV series where you'd get like a very basic $5-10 figure, then a $15-25 better version. Leaders are usually the big guys in show and toys. But Voyager was just like "I guess these guys go places?" Mega or something would better better, maybe Grand Size, or like Captain class to denote rank/ability?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
cy-kill exists to be clowned upon

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

At this point, retail partners and collectors are both fully accustomed to Voyager. It's also the pricepoint that's changed the least in terms of size, features, and complexity over the years.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Basic Deluxe Mega Ultra Super and Supreme or get lost

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

lmao, Cy-Kill can never catch a loving break.

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
The size classes should be Rookie/Adult/Champion/Ultimate

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Which size class is Mega?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

One up from deluxe.

Adbot