Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

floppyspud posted:

As someone who played it at release and who also spent a few hundred hours on it several years later, it has really improved a lot. If you are interested in it you should try it again, the awful release ruined it forever, but now it actually a pretty decent game.

I still play it. It's better now but bethesda will never get above discount bin sale prices from me anymore.

And I want nuclear winter back, goddamnit. Just let me fire dance for nuclear briefcases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was actually surprised by how many launch bugs were still in the game when I tried it last month (and how bad lag could get).

And one glitch I didn’t remember: enemies being incorrectly labeled. Killing then revealed their actual names.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I was actually surprised by how many launch bugs were still in the game when I tried it last month (and how bad lag could get).

And one glitch I didn’t remember: enemies being incorrectly labeled. Killing then revealed their actual names.

I think I saw this one recently. I thought I accidentally shot a settler because he was in the spot I frequently saw a raider, but upon death he became a raider. :shrug:

Here's a bug/graphical glitch I remember seeing in videos at launch and wondered if I could fix it somehow: Sometimes when I look out over an area with a ton of foliage, all the textures kind of blur and slide around as I move. Is there a setting I can change to stop that? I don't mind turning off depth of field or something if it means I can stop seeing that weird smear everywhere.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I had this glitch in the beta lol. it went away for a while.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think I'm getting to the point where I have to pick a faction for the endgame of fallout 4 and I can't say I really like any of the options

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Pick the minutemen and kill all the other factions, then do Nuka World and wipe out the minutemen.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

ilmucche posted:

I think I'm getting to the point where I have to pick a faction for the endgame of fallout 4 and I can't say I really like any of the options

When I got to the end I forgot that Shawn was my son and blew him away as soon as I met him in the bunker. Like, before we even got into a conversation. It made for a very dark ending lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

ilmucche posted:

I don't want to spoil anything for you but they are all pretty terrible
e: and I genuinely adore FO4 and its various DLCs, just the main quest is not much part of why

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Nuka world and far harbor were a lot of fun! The main quest is a wet fart though

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The FO4 BoS are very interesting in survival mode, because they're fascist shits, but genuinely makes the wasteland safer with roaming power armour patrols and access to vertibird travel grenades.

In normal mode they're just unredeemable lol.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

And I want nuclear winter back, goddamnit. Just let me fire dance for nuclear briefcases.

My old nuclear winter friend convinced me to play crsd, saying it was similar to nuclear winter, and it's not the same at all. The whole time I was thinking about doing a water hider build. How cool is it that there were even perks to that made hiding the whole game easier, I really miss nuclear winter. People point out bush wookie-ing as a weakness, but it was a valid strategy and with the right set of perks and awareness you could consistently get top 3 doing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Yes, they're literally all really lovely because war never changes.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

So just out of curiosity, what happens in the event that someone targets your camp with a nuke? This happened last night when i was ready to log off and I just took the safe option and peaced out for the night, but if the thing lands, then what? Do I need to fix all my camp stuff? I assume my ally is fine and just comes back when I fix the object she is attached to?

As long as it's just repairs and nothing leaves my stash, I might just let the next one hit for the experience of watching my camp get annihilated.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

So just out of curiosity, what happens in the event that someone targets your camp with a nuke? This happened last night when i was ready to log off and I just took the safe option and peaced out for the night, but if the thing lands, then what? Do I need to fix all my camp stuff? I assume my ally is fine and just comes back when I fix the object she is attached to?

As long as it's just repairs and nothing leaves my stash, I might just let the next one hit for the experience of watching my camp get annihilated.

Your camp gets flattened and you have to repair it. That's it.

This is only a problem if you let a friend build something in your camp that you don't know the plans for as this will be unfixable by you. They might have changed this but I'm not sure.

Tbh, I'd just leave the server or switch to camp 2.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Maybe old news but I just found out about the thing you put in Fallout76Custom.ini that turns off the stupid rotating 3D model in the middle of the screen when you pick up a Legendary, and life is so much better now.
Why did they even put that there in the first place

[Interface]
fHUD3DModelScreenPosX=-1
fHUD3DModelScreenPosY=-1

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Are the achievements for the Pitt related stuff bugged on xbox? I should have unlocked them by now.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Are the achievements for the Pitt related stuff bugged on xbox? I should have unlocked them by now.

Are you playing on a private server by any chance? They won't work if you're not playing adventure mode. For Welcome to the Pitt you have to actually be the host for both expeditions. For Seeking Refuge you need to do the miscellaneous objectives that pop up, not the daily quests.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, just regular adventure mode. Hmmm.

I've definitely led both Pitt expeditions (more than once) and I've been doing everything at Whitesprings since Halloween, including the random instances of breaking up arguments or taking pictures of strangers.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

ilmucche posted:

Nuka world and far harbor were a lot of fun! The main quest is a wet fart though
I actually dropped out of playing Fallout 4 the first time through because the main storyline was such a stupid unsatisfying dud. That was especially telling for me because a lot of times when I run into plotholes or similar flaws in a story I can actually get engaged in thinking of things that might be happening "off-screen" that would explain them as a creative exercise and still have fun with it, but Fallout 4's main story just straight-up suuucked.

But then sometime later I went back and just ignored the main plot (except for getting just enough done with Nick to do adventures with him) and had a loving blast roaming the wasteland, taking on side quests and hanging out with various companions.

I'm far from the first person to make this observation, but it's amazing how much better Fallout 4 gets when you act like the central plot doesn't exist.

Roman posted:

Maybe old news but I just found out about the thing you put in Fallout76Custom.ini that turns off the stupid rotating 3D model in the middle of the screen when you pick up a Legendary, and life is so much better now.
Why did they even put that there in the first place

[Interface]
fHUD3DModelScreenPosX=-1
fHUD3DModelScreenPosY=-1
Holy poo poo, thank you for that! There's been a few times I picked up a legendary object during various events/operations without realizing there were still active enemies around and ended up running around like an idiot while getting shot up, just waiting for that to clear up so I could finally see what the gently caress was going on.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Peyote Panda posted:

I'm far from the first person to make this observation, but it's amazing how much better Fallout 4 gets when you act like the central plot doesn't exist.
I really want to give it another shot with Start Me Up Redux, which is supposed to be amazing.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/56984

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's pretty great, it was even better with Sim Settlements: Conqueror because you were fully encouraged to just murder Preston & company and tell the main quest to gently caress off and die.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nah, just regular adventure mode. Hmmm.

I've definitely led both Pitt expeditions (more than once) and I've been doing everything at Whitesprings since Halloween, including the random instances of breaking up arguments or taking pictures of strangers.

Both expeditions, all 10 misc quests and all 100 trog kills must be done on a single character. You can't do 7 misc quests on one guy and 3 on another.

Can you check the global achievement stats on console to see if other people can unlock them?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Roman posted:

[Interface]
fHUD3DModelScreenPosX=-1
fHUD3DModelScreenPosY=-1
Found out that the spinning model still "exists" and larger ones will sometimes show part of the model rotating past your eyes. Changing from -1 to a bigger number like -20 seems to have fixed that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Both expeditions, all 10 misc quests and all 100 trog kills must be done on a single character. You can't do 7 misc quests on one guy and 3 on another.

Can you check the global achievement stats on console to see if other people can unlock them?

I only use one character.

I'll look when I boot it up later.

E: from my achievements tab

Welcome to the Pitt: 0.55% of gamers unlock this

Seeking refuge: 0.20%

Troglodiced: 0.10%

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 22, 2022

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Speaking of the Pitt content, am I not supposed to be running that stuff solo? I do okay if a little slow on most of the content, but the end boss is always ridiculously bullet spongey and trogs in general are... nasty. They travel in packs, are fast, hit hard and it takes a lot of ammo just to drop even the small ones. To top it off, they have the ability to detect me in stealth even though I have literally had other creatures bump into me without noticing me. Is there some weak point I'm supposed to exploit, or is it literally just a matter of needing more people with me?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I run through the Pitt content in chinese stealth armor with an explosive ammo ultracite gatlin gun. Usually by myself.

I figured out with that gatlin gun, if you hold right trigger (fire) while rapidly tapping left trigger (aim), you get rounds fired as fast as you can tap the button instead of clunking through 20 rds/min. Shreds trogs.

But I have a bunch of heavy weapon and explosive perk cards in use. The way my gatlin is set up, it does 210 damage. It chews through most anything I point it at.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I've been going around with an instigating Fixer and some sneak attack perks and just getting as many headshots as possible. It worked great for the most part, but things are starting to outclass the damage enough to really strain my ammo.

For heavy weapons, how are you benefitting from explosive ammo? Or does the "non-explosive" clause on the heavy perks refer to something else?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

NofrikinfuN posted:

I've been going around with an instigating Fixer and some sneak attack perks and just getting as many headshots as possible. It worked great for the most part, but things are starting to outclass the damage enough to really strain my ammo.

Instigating is probably not great for tanky Pitt enemies since you're only getting the bonus damage on the first hit. I do alright solo with an aristocrat's explosive fixer and various crit related perks and mutations. I still prefer to group up if I'm running From Ashes to Fire but Union Dues is pretty easy to run alone.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think it refers to 40mm grenade launchers, missile launchers, etc. Not to 5mm with an explosive bullets legendary perk.

I also have demolition expert maxed out under intelligence.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
so i was playing f76 and i got tired of the same music and i started thinking about fallout 4 with all the great mods and additional music. so i re-download fallout 4 start downloading and re-checking the mods for the last couple of days. get everything mostly together (want more face presets but its easy to crowd the creation ui) and i start playing and then i think... do i really want to re-play this whole game?

i will say im surprised that f76 is better than fallout 4 in a few ways. i like that f76 has more buildings just in the outside environment. i feel like i load into most buildings. crafting is better and i like the hunger/thirst system.

Anyways--
are there other games that scratch the fallout itch? open world rpg?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Anyways--
are there other games that scratch the fallout itch? open world rpg?
I get certain things I like about Fallout out of other games but nothing ever checks all the boxes that Bethesda games do. Games like Deus Ex Human Revolution, Outer Worlds, the Far Cry series, Elden Ring, Dishonored, Breath of the Wild, Cyberpunk 2077, and Assassin's Creed Odyssey all tend to offer some things that I like about Bethesda titles but are usually lacking in others.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

NofrikinfuN posted:

Speaking of the Pitt content, am I not supposed to be running that stuff solo?
just start an Expeditions group and people usually join. Only the group leader needs ultracells. People can join mid mission as well.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Peyote Panda posted:

I actually dropped out of playing Fallout 4 the first time through because the main storyline was such a stupid unsatisfying dud. That was especially telling for me because a lot of times when I run into plotholes or similar flaws in a story I can actually get engaged in thinking of things that might be happening "off-screen" that would explain them as a creative exercise and still have fun with it, but Fallout 4's main story just straight-up suuucked.

I've given up on it and am trying to clear out the rest of the game world and maybe do the companion stuff. I'll probably do one pro institute/anti-institute thing eventually but most of my fun in these games comes from exploring the world. It's a shame they weren't able to flesh out more of the stuff instead of raiders being instantly aggro all the time. it felt like places like combat zone and the race track could have participation instead of the standard show up and kill everything

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

ilmucche posted:

I've given up on it and am trying to clear out the rest of the game world and maybe do the companion stuff. I'll probably do one pro institute/anti-institute thing eventually but most of my fun in these games comes from exploring the world. It's a shame they weren't able to flesh out more of the stuff instead of raiders being instantly aggro all the time. it felt like places like combat zone and the race track could have participation instead of the standard show up and kill everything
The Combat Zone was originally designed for that. There's actually a mod that restores that functionality, named Combat Zone Restored appropriately enough. Nothing for the race track I'm aware of but yeah, that's another one that felt like it should have had more than it did.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ilmucche posted:

The game absolutely should have had raidering and Gunnering as options for the player character.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Not with a voiced protag. Too many lines.

The decision to make the main character 4 of An Actual Character and not just a player proxy was so dumb lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

The decision to make the main character 4 of An Actual Character and not just a player proxy was so dumb lol

All the lines the player characters have suck taint anyway, cut them out. (The lines meant to be funny are amazingly unfunny, they're dialogue garfields in that they suck the funny out of the other character's lines as well.)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah tremendously not a fan of this choice. I love Courtenay Taylor's voice but really did not like being pigeonholed into the starting character, happy to mod that garbage out.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

absolutely cannot be bothered to mod all of it out, I just embrace the suck and skip though all dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I will never modify any game unless it's to increase draw distance or something like that.

No actually just that, and that's what I'd classify as a patch anyway, not a mod.