Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

wolrah posted:

Oh hell no. I have a Yealink WH62 headset that connects to both my PC and phone, so I can be watching Youtube videos or whatever, receive calls, and wander around my apartment. The handset is there to be convenient to grab and nothing more. I just like having a physical interface for call control, especially when managing multiple calls. BLF buttons are nice as well, having actual lights indicating the state of other lines and such rather than a window that always ends up behind 13 other things when I want it.

I also have a couple of yealinks around the house, moved our landline number over to our isp’s voip service cos it’s a flat fee for unlimited outgoing calls, and it’s also cheaper for my parents to call us on our landline number than our cellphones. They’re pretty much the only incoming calls we get on the landline. The one on my desk is also hooked up to my work extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Smythe posted:

I have an insanely embarrassing headset lol

Saukkis posted:

For a long time I was using a PS4 headset for online meetings

I've had this ridiculous can on my head for 2.5 years (meant for a PS4). At the start of the pandemic, I needed something THAT DAY for an online meeting, and it was the only thing I could find with a 3.5mm TRRS jack so it would work with both my work computer and cell phone (and one-ear only for taking calls while driving).

After switching offices, I actually stopped answering my desk phone because the handset cord won't stretch to my workstation, and the RJ9 to 3.5mm adapter for it hasn't arrived yet. Despite the stupid look, it's actually nice being able to plug into the landline, work computer, or my cell phone, all with the same headset.

Edit: I still want it to break though, so I can justify getting something more subtle.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 16, 2022

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Do we ask about desk recommendations ITT?

There's a thread for every peripheral, chairs included, but no desk thread that I can see.

Looking for an L-shape sit/stand desk I saw this brand come up in Wirecutter, and I started to configure this one:

https://www.upliftdesk.com/uplift-v...185-11880-11668

It's... um, pricey. Not as bad as the solid wood version that's like $4k though!

Are there any decent quality sit/stand L-shaped desks that aren't this cost? To be sure, part of the cost is a filing cabinet that I really don't need, but my current POS desk has some storage that I want to maintain, and I don't want to spend time shopping around for something that's only slightly cheaper.

also TBH the main reason I want sit/stand is I'm tall and the "sit" position of most desks is completely wrong for me, and keyboard trays have always been garbage. I mean, I do want to try the standing desk thing, but the main thing I'm looking for is proper ergonomic adjustment.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DaveSauce posted:

Do we ask about desk recommendations ITT?

There's a thread for every peripheral, chairs included, but no desk thread that I can see.

Looking for an L-shape sit/stand desk I saw this brand come up in Wirecutter, and I started to configure this one:

https://www.upliftdesk.com/uplift-v...185-11880-11668

It's... um, pricey. Not as bad as the solid wood version that's like $4k though!

Are there any decent quality sit/stand L-shaped desks that aren't this cost? To be sure, part of the cost is a filing cabinet that I really don't need, but my current POS desk has some storage that I want to maintain, and I don't want to spend time shopping around for something that's only slightly cheaper.

also TBH the main reason I want sit/stand is I'm tall and the "sit" position of most desks is completely wrong for me, and keyboard trays have always been garbage. I mean, I do want to try the standing desk thing, but the main thing I'm looking for is proper ergonomic adjustment.

Don’t worry, this is the desk recommendation thread.

My wheelhouse of knowledge begins and ends with Husky benches. People more knowledgeable than me will be in shortly to tell you what’s what

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ok Comboomer posted:

Don’t worry, this is the desk recommendation thread.

My wheelhouse of knowledge begins and ends with Husky benches. People more knowledgeable than me will be in shortly to tell you what’s what

I was going to say, you really can't go wrong with a block countertop.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Just set up a Husky workbench and can confirm it's wonderful for the money. They're also on sale right now, but sadly no L

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Just set up a Husky workbench and can confirm it's wonderful for the money. They're also on sale right now, but sadly no L

OP could always get two and make an L that way, but then you gotta raise/lower each section individually

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

True. Speaking of, I meant to post that you can rotate the desktop on those 180 degrees to hide the Husky badge and make it look more like a proper desk. The instructions tell you it's important to make sure their logo is pointing forward, but it's not at all. The holes in the block are symmetrical and do not give a gently caress

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

True. Speaking of, I meant to post that you can rotate the desktop on those 180 degrees to hide the Husky badge and make it look more like a proper desk. The instructions tell you it's important to make sure their logo is pointing forward, but it's not at all. The holes in the block are symmetrical and do not give a gently caress

Can’t you just take the badge off? Pretty sure it’s just stuck on with adhesive

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

There's two small dowels on the back of the badge that stick into the block.

Don't have a recommendation for L shaped desks but yeah you're probably going to be spending a lot.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Fully has the Jarvis L desk on sale right now. It's still $1100, but those desks are kind of niche.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Mustache Ride posted:

Don't have a recommendation for L shaped desks but yeah you're probably going to be spending a lot.

Honestly that's kind of what I expected, but I wanted to make sure I didn't buy the first thing I saw and end up with an overpriced "paying for the badge" thing.

Naturally, the instant I started googling desks all my feeds were inundated with ads for them, so it's hard to know what's actually good and what is just marketing (e.g. Uplift is pushing hard on the Wirecutter reviews).

If I can buy a quality desk that'll last 20 years, I'll probably be OK with it.

Inept posted:

Fully has the Jarvis L desk on sale right now. It's still $1100, but those desks are kind of niche.

Cool, thanks for the heads up! Definitely open to brand/model suggestions right now.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I think you should consider if you need an L-desk or if two desks in L-arrangement would be enough. That would probably be cheaper, there would be more selection and the arrangement would be more flexible. Especially if you are thinking in two decade time span. In the future you may buy a new house and maybe it's office room has a different layout and you need switch the "L" to the other side.

I wonder if it is possible to hack two standing desks to be operated by single control. I assume the controls are very simple, probably just connecting the up- or down-line.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Monoprice has an L kit for $350 without the desk tops, and you could pick up tops from somewhere like Home Depot. Their kit only has a 260lb capacity including the tops though, so you might have to be annoyingly careful with what you put on it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

If I can buy a quality desk that'll last 20 years, I'll probably be OK with it.

IDK that we can say that any motorized standing desk is gonna last 20 years. The popular mass market for these things isn't quite that old, IMU.

That said, the Husky benches are crank/screw driven rather than motorized (the crank pops off to reveal a socket, and some enterprising folks keep a cheap electric driver handy to raise/lower, but I don't find the crank that bad), which arguably bodes better for overall long-term durability.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

The 70 and 52 inch sizes of the Husky are both on particularly good sales right now (they're all discounted to varying degrees), but I recommend treating it as a warehouse deal. Mine was clearly a prior return. There was a chip in the back (what I use as the front) and the legs still had dirty leveling feet installed with the most stripped-out screws I have ever seen. For $90 off I'll take it (I'm not disassembling and hauling that giant thing back to Home Depot) and I still recommend them wholeheartedly, but maybe give yours a thorough check while you're still in the parking lot

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
same thing happened to me when I got mine at full price, husky logo broken off, wheels dirty, and a scratch thats currently covered up by my mouse pad. still a pretty solid desk for the price

Cold Milk Bottle fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 22, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
As much as I love my current adjustable desk, I'm saving up for a Husky, because my rear end in a top hat 5-year-old is already treating it like poo poo, and it's only a matter of time before I'll need something more robust.

Edit: Actually, I guess I could just make a new tabletop if the crank still works fine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Inept posted:

Monoprice has an L kit for $350 without the desk tops, and you could pick up tops from somewhere like Home Depot. Their kit only has a 260lb capacity including the tops though, so you might have to be annoyingly careful with what you put on it.

Home Depot has the husky workbench for like ~$200 usually

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My desk/work bench is Gladiator but I just got a big Husky cabinet for my office. Was on sale and I liked that it came in red.

Zero issues with quality control. Not a scratch on it and it looks more expensive than $375. Have a second, smaller cabinet coming.

Guess I'm going full garage chic with my office.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
latest iterations of my garage workspaces

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've always been a "one big monitor" kind of guy but I pulled my old 29" Ultra Wide monitor out of storage today. I now have it in portrait mode next to my 27" 1440p Acer, and it looks obscene.

I do like the idea of having documentation and poo poo on there while I poorly code on my main screen.

It looks kind of like this except I don't have as big of a desk. :mad:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Coding on a vertical monitor is awesome. It'll grow on you fast, doesn't look so crazy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think we finally found someone more insufferable than 3O.

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1598743328803078144

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

American McGay posted:

lol. I can respect the work that's gone into that under desk monitor mounting system but it's such a predictably macrumors forum poster flex.

dropped many thousands of dollars on a load of poo poo looking for a ~~~workflow~~~ to actually put any of it to good use.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't know if they were so eager to show off their setup that they took the pic before even taking the factory stickers off the TV or if they simply use it that way. Either option is dire.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sign on that monitor:

Nothing legible dwells here

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

how does this guy feel about trespassing kids making noise outside?

also 85” 4K would yield a rough equivalent to four 42.5” 1080p displays, which is absolute dogshit pixel density for 2022 at anything approaching desktop distance

I can respect 32-48” 4K but 85” is just :v:ScReEn BiG:v:

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

how does this guy feel about trespassing kids making noise outside?

also 85” 4K would yield a rough equivalent to four 42.5” 1080p displays, which is absolute dogshit pixel density for 2022 at anything approaching desktop distance

I can respect 32-48” 4K but 85” is just :v:ScReEn BiG:v:

it’s 8k?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hypnophant posted:

it’s 8k?

whoops. So that’s ~21” at 1080p then…..

Idk, having the same pixel density as a pre-retina iMac would probably low key send me at this point

I’ve been spoiled with Hi Dpi for too long

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Real curious what this goober "uses" all that real estate for. The construction and layout is pretty impressive but like what can you possibly be doing with all that space that wouldn't just cause you to be DrSteveBrule.gif all day and endlessly craning your neck to see the far reaches of that 85" monitor three feet in front of your face

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I'm pretty sure 85" is if you want to sit far away from the screen.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

hypnophant posted:

it’s 8k?

16k if you count the blinding reflection from the glass desk that makes the other three burned out ~200 nit ancient 30" Apple Cinema Displays utterly useless.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm pretty sure 85" is if you want to sit far away from the screen.

then he can’t see the under-table screens

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

quote:

The screens in the desk have proven sooo ultra useful. I always have my multiple finder windows on the middle screen that nothing ever covers them. Then I have notes, contacts, to do's stocks some control panels on the lower screens, again that never get obscured. The screens are tilted at just the perfect angle.

fwiw

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Cope

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

So doing nothing of any value then. Just need 16 finder windows open and a stock chart that is 15 minutes behind the market, so useless for any kind of trading.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Just seems like they're viewable, if you believe him.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

American McGay posted:

Is that an old inkjet fax machine under the desk on wheels? Shameful. I use a business class color laser fax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sign on that monitor:

Nothing legible lives here.