Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ok, I've decided to go singlespeed for the "winter" here in Florida. Can anyone help me with a parts list for the conversion? Coming from SRAM 11 speed on my Bearclaw Beaux Jaxon (boost spacing, no horizontal drops). Going to go with 32/18 as I've been cruising at that ratio lately and it feels fine for everything I ride off road here and can get me up the lowercase hills without issue.

Chainring, cog, spacers, tensioner? Any specific brands/recs for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moab is still fun. It still beats the crap out of you. Camping in 15 deg temps is also still fun....mostly. Never seen my dog want to get into the tent more in his life.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bottom Liner posted:

Ok, I've decided to go singlespeed for the "winter" here in Florida. Can anyone help me with a parts list for the conversion? Coming from SRAM 11 speed on my Bearclaw Beaux Jaxon (boost spacing, no horizontal drops). Going to go with 32/18 as I've been cruising at that ratio lately and it feels fine for everything I ride off road here and can get me up the lowercase hills without issue.

Chainring, cog, spacers, tensioner? Any specific brands/recs for them?

I've done two single speed conversion wheels by getting an ebay spacer kit and pulling the right size cog off a spare cassette I've had.
Last time I used a "fancy" SSK-2 from wheels manufacturing. This is a different one that tries to have chain guide shrouds to keep the chain on the cog.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394318351898
Still used my own cog and had enough extra spacer to make up for it being 3/32" cog instead of 1/8".

No experience with tensioners, though.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007
Clipless pedal questions incoming

Ok so, long time rider always flats. I have origin8 slimline pedals on both bikes, which are really thin and have actually been great. Shoes are freeriders and freerider pros.

So i thought i should try clips, got some used XT pedals, the ones without any platform, and 5.10 kestrel lace shoes.

Only been a few rides, but my observations so far: It feels like im riding on my toes, like a ballerina. ive got the cleats all the way back, which is better, but still. Also, the height of my shoes/pedals must be way more than that of the flat setup, because i had to raise my seatpost about half a inch. It also feels like my bike got smaller when im standing and riding in an aggressive position, and i feel very much on top of the bike rather than between the wheels. On the side of the positives, being able to just keep pedaling through chunky stuff, either uphill or downhill, thats pretty nuts. Huge capability gained there.

Some caveats, ive used the bike and setup for a long time, and i ride alot, so anything different really stands out. Im sure once im on it for a while itll feel much more natural, just since it wont be new. And i wonder if ive just been spoiled by such thin pedals and stuff, or is there another clipless setup that wouldnt put me so high up above the pedal spindles? Would it help to use a pedal with a platform like Mallets or something, so i didnt feel like i was putting all my weight through a postage stamp sized contact patch? I think i may just have to experiment a bunch to find out the answers here. It is getting to be winter here though, so im kinda thinking about shelving the project till spring. I think that theres really diminishing gains to clips in the snow and ice. And those shoes are cold, i could feel an intensely cold spot right where the pedal was on the bottom of my shoe this morning.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Get very rigid soled shoes for the pressure situation. I use some Giro whatevers with a really stiff insole and vibram outsole and I don't notice that sort of pressure. Also I use Shimano pedals with a bit of a platform which is advantageous if you don't quite clip in or slip out and maybe provide more surface.

I don't think you're ever gonna get that low to the spindles feeling, but stiffer shoes may help you feel more in tune with the bike.

Also any big, protruding cleat is gonna be a pain in the rear end while walking on rough terrain, so I think it's just one of the tradeoffs of a small, recessed cleat putting you slightly higher.

And yeah, those shoes do get cold.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Go back to flats!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Not only are your feet farther off the pedal, you're also pedaling closer to your ball than your arch, so you're gonna need the seat higher

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Eejit posted:

Get very rigid soled shoes for the pressure situation. I use some Giro whatevers with a really stiff insole and vibram outsole and I don't notice that sort of pressure. Also I use Shimano pedals with a bit of a platform which is advantageous if you don't quite clip in or slip out and maybe provide more surface.

I don't think you're ever gonna get that low to the spindles feeling, but stiffer shoes may help you feel more in tune with the bike.

Also any big, protruding cleat is gonna be a pain in the rear end while walking on rough terrain, so I think it's just one of the tradeoffs of a small, recessed cleat putting you slightly higher.

And yeah, those shoes do get cold.

i know that theyre not like carbon soled XC shoes, but the kestrels feel really drat stiff to me, and i think if i need stiffer than that, ill just use flats. That is also a thing i noticed, that the cleat was recessed enough to not be scraping everywhere. I think the platform must make some kind of difference for distributing pressure. However, if theres too much contact between shoe and pedal, wont that make it really hard to unclip?

n8r posted:

Go back to flats!

thats exactly what im doing, going to go switch them right now for tomorrow mornings ride. I want to try them again in the spring though, so im hoping to come up with some new things to try that are more likely to be good. I just cant shake the idea that the huge percentage of riders that use clips cant all be wrong. Theres clearly benefits to be had, but i guess im realizing now how comfortable my flat pedal setup has been.

feelix posted:

Not only are your feet farther off the pedal, you're also pedaling closer to your ball than your arch, so you're gonna need the seat higher
good point, thats true. My bike is slack, but short in the front and long in the rear, and its making me feel like im wayyyy over the front wheel, like i cant drop my heels enough to feel centered. Perhaps moving the cleats forward would help with that, by putting my weight further backward? i think that would make the riding on my toes feeling worse though.

And thanks everyone for the input!

Torbo fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 22, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I had all the same issues with clips if that's any comfort. I'm not racing and don't do long uphill rides so I'm fine with flats. My 215lbs with five tens and proper pedals might as well be clips anyways in terms of my foot not moving on the pedal.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
+1, descending with clips never feels quite as good and in the bike as it does on flats. I just can’t get my foot in that sweet spot even with the cleats all the way back. Also can’t replicate the feeling of the contact patch on a wide flat pedal, no matter the size of the platform on a clipless pedal. There are other tradeoffs though, and the last few years I’ve been riding flats in the winter and spring and clips the rest of the year. I prefer clips for long days, and for going fast through tech. Anyone telling you that one or the other is *better* is wrong, and I hate the way that mountain bike media frames it. They’re just pedals.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
You can also learn good technique with clips too if you practice it

dema
Aug 13, 2006

On the flip side, I tried flats earlier this year and they felt awful in every way. Technical climbing and descending. Granted, probably didn't have a good enough flat setup and probably didn't spend enough time with them. Apparently it's hard to change when you've been riding SPDs for almost 20 years.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

They do kinda suck for technical climbing other than being able to bail more easily but that’s also an opinion coming from years of clipped in riding as well

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Road cyclist here who went to mtb a few years ago, started riding mtb using SPDs because I've been riding clipless on road and track bikes for nearly 10 years. Rode SPD on the mtb for ~2 years before my partner convinced me to try flat pedals for a while as I was learning bad techniques always having my feet attached to the pedals. Took me a little while to get used to the flats, particularly having my feet not come off the pedals when getting air and bunny hopping but now I'm probably more comfortable on the flats than I was using SPDs before switching.

I assume if you're going from flats to SPD it will probably take you months if not a year to really get comfortable with it, it's a pretty big switch particularly if you were used to having the pedal in the middle of your foot. I think going the other way (SPD to flats) is almost easier as I was already used to having the ball of my foot over the pedal and so I just do the same thing with my flats.

One thing that I definitely find easier with flats is starting again after stopping just before a really gnarly bit of a trail, I crashed on a techy downhill once because I didn't get my foot clipped in before dropping in and you get zero grip between an SPD shoe and pedal...

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I think that is the ultimate curse of clipless. Can't count how many times I've taken a tumble because I couldn't clip in

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
My worst crash was because of clipless pedals and of course it was going 0mph. I still love them though but you do really have to commit through techy jank.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The wider "trail" pedals help a bit even if I can't get clipped back in right away, but yeah you can't get real far with it especially uphill

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I've never had a problem bailing out of my clipless shoes, it seems they're more dangerous for you the closer to 0 your speed gets.

I'm not going back now, I'm too used to them after a decade+ of riding.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I mean, I think most EWS riders all ride clipless pedals except Sam Hill. There are certainly benefits to them.

But flats are good too, so ultimately it's what works best for you and your riding conditions! I do like switching back and forth but am more partial to clipless. Even after switching back to flats for a few months I find myself pedal striking more somehow and missing the ability to utilize the pedal connection in certain climbing/tech situations. Also like that when I clip in my feet are where I want them, rather than trying to hunt for the spot I really want on flat pedals

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why are they called clipless if you clip your shoes in? Shouldn't flats be called clipless?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Slavvy posted:

Why are they called clipless if you clip your shoes in? Shouldn't flats be called clipless?
The clip that term refers to is a toe clip, where the pedal has a thing coming off the front that actually wraps around your shoe. Kinda like the straps you might find on an exercise bike.

The term seems totally backwards without that context, but it makes sense when you realize there's a third style of pedal you just never see anymore.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wolrah posted:

The clip that term refers to is a toe clip, where the pedal has a thing coming off the front that actually wraps around your shoe. Kinda like the straps you might find on an exercise bike.

Right that makes sense

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
And you clip in, which is even more confusing when it's called clipless.

Maybe us old farts should just say "toe-clipless" to be super pedantic.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
A lot of the people I ride with around Pisgah within the last year or two are starting to call them clips. Cause it’s what they loving are.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I think sweet fixie bros and broettes still use straps, but I haven't seen cages or toe clips in the wild for... years.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

dema posted:

I think sweet fixie bros and broettes still use straps, but I haven't seen cages or toe clips in the wild for... years.

My girlfriend still uses clips. Her bike is also an 80s touring bike, so they look sort of period appropriate. She has shoes and clipless pedals on her spin bike, but hasn't gotten the courage up to use them outside.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bicycles are like boats in that all the slang is incredibly stupid

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Bicycles are like boats in that all the slang is incredibly stupid

And they're both huge money sinks, too.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
At least with a bike you can usually be confident that if it's in working order you can turn your back on it for a longish period of time and it won't somehow mysteriously break itself just sitting there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No such thing as a free boat but I have seen fully functional free bikes happen to other people

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Any thoughts on cramping quads when pushing hard on the mtb? The last two times I've gone out to the local mtb park I've ended up with really bad quad cramps. Both times I was pushing maximum effort on the climbs and out of the saddle a bunch when descending. I don't think it's from dehydration as I was drinking water constantly, I guess it could be an electrolyte thing but I doubt it? Other options could be just pushing way too hard when my muscles aren't really strong enough for it (haven't been riding much lately) or maybe my saddle is too low or too far forward?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Likely not forward saddle position but could be too low. Every time I've cramped in any sport it's been either extreme prior muscle fatigue or lack of electrolytes

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Blackhawk posted:

Any thoughts on cramping quads when pushing hard on the mtb? The last two times I've gone out to the local mtb park I've ended up with really bad quad cramps. Both times I was pushing maximum effort on the climbs and out of the saddle a bunch when descending. I don't think it's from dehydration as I was drinking water constantly, I guess it could be an electrolyte thing but I doubt it? Other options could be just pushing way too hard when my muscles aren't really strong enough for it (haven't been riding much lately) or maybe my saddle is too low or too far forward?

Quad-primary pain to me always means too much stomping, not enough spinning. Shift and pedal, see if that helps.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Nutrition, fitness levels, and not warming up/stretching are the three biggest causes of muscle cramps.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cheers, I haven't moved the saddle since going from SPD to flats and the flat shoes I use probably have significantly thicker soles than what I had before, so I should see if the saddle needs to go up slightly. Also not stretching or warming up properly is definitely something I'm bad at. I'm normally a 'spinner' so my cadence is already quite high but the cramps really kicked in when I was out of the saddle on descents pumping berms, jumping etc. which I guess is probably equivalent to mashing too low of a gear when pedaling. Ultimately I was probably just pushing harder than my muscles could really cope with.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Was slipping off the pedals sometimes as I went over the top of hills so I got some of those pedals with screws. Haven't been able to try them yet because of all the storms

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Love some pedals with screws.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Your feet will love it your shins will hate you

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Levitate posted:

Your feet will love it your shins will hate you

This post triggered my PTSD

Forgetting to put your RD clutch on: not even once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You've been on flats and haven't had ones with posts???