Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Pox bursters really are great sound design, though. It's great when there's a break in the action and everybody's spinning around trying to follow the beeps as it makes its way around the level. It's like staring at the motion sensor in Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Felt the sort of high I wish this game could give more of. 3* mission, extra horde, the ammo raid one.

Two zealots and two veterans. Two flamers and two rapid firing laser guns.

When we reached the drop ship across the bridge, we turned around and just unleashed such a torrent of flame and lasers into the endless horde behind us that the Emperor must’ve shed a tear of pride. And then when ammo ran out we bailed.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I think the big problem is that the trapper callout isnt distinctive enough. A slight mumble and metal clanking could be anything from poxwalkers to radios on the level to characters walking on metal making similar sounds.

A pilot light is a very distinctive click, as is the massive roar. Just needs a bit of something to stand out from the rest of the noise pollution.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

explosivo posted:

The Pox bursters really are great sound design, though. It's great when there's a break in the action and everybody's spinning around trying to follow the beeps as it makes its way around the level. It's like staring at the motion sensor in Aliens.

It's good but the rate of the beeping seems to be based on path length and can change drastically if it is above or below you. I've seen a lot of instances where it finds an easier path and switches from beep...beep...beep to BEEPBEEPBEEPBOOM on a dime.

It just gets frustrating when the bomber is wiggling back and forth offscreen and you just have to wait around for it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

explosivo posted:

The ogryn rumbler is really good fun but it does need to stumble bursters to make it great. I've been using the gauntlet again because with the bleed feat you're basically making everything bleed without much thought. The grenades themselves are so-so but do a lot of knockdown which is basically what I want anyway.

I still say the grenade gauntlet is probably his best weapon even though I love the stubber and rumbler both. Ogryn's have a ton of tools for dealing with hordes, maulers/ragers, and basically anything in close melee and their weakness is largely anything that can stay at range, so like bombers, snipers, heavy gunners, ect.

Once you get a feel for the bullet drop, the gauntlets are basically pinpoint accurate and the direct hit damage is so absolutely absurd that it'll kill a lot of things outright and lay out survivors for 5 seconds for you to close distance. It had no splash damage on the ADS, but it will bowl over anything nearby to the detonation, again giving you time to close distance or get a followup shot in. The special attack is funny but I found not to be particularly useful, given that you could be just bopping them with various melee weapons for about the same effect.

The ripper and the thumper are both largely fine, but they don't give him anything he doesn't already have (namely, short range control and horde clear). The ripper in particular can be fun to just start blasting with, but it has to reload so much for such a long amount of time that that it can be frustrating.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 23, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Perfect run, both grimoires, then the rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo loving turd pub decided to be fancy and keep us waiting in the dropship long enough to give the game enough time to crash me out of the game and lose all progress made.

gently caress playing with people.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I can't get past the loading screen today, back end error.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/DarktideComms/status/1595449465611190272?t=Hw9MT8pEXw49dIzcAGk65Q&s=19

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:hmmyes:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

I tried their troubleshooting method and it didn't help.

Edit - I haven't found a single book and I'm almost level 30. I have found a couple grims though.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

oh so it wasnt a normal crash that ended my run the entire outage is what happened sorry mysterious stranger.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BombiTheZombie posted:

I swear to the god-emperor, vet with that lovely braced autogun / automatic lasgun is the new elf with a quickbow. Every time i see a vet with either of those weapons you betcha hes gonna magdump into a horde and be stuck reloading instead of pulling out a melee weapon and getting stuck in.

On higher difficulties (3+) you cant have a ranged weapon that cant reliably and quickly kill specials in favor of a "horde clearing" ranged weapon. Thats what your melee is for!

e: lets not forget that they will constantly steal the ammo from special snipers to feed their magdump tendencies!

Sounds like a them problem because if you have a psych you can absolutely let them pop the long range specials while you loving mulch through a horde+whatever specials are in it with the (good) autogun.

3 isn't really that hard of a difficulty to be bugging people about gear unless literally none of you brought a kill something at range weapon.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Al-Saqr posted:

Perfect run, both grimoires, then the rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo loving turd pub decided to be fancy and keep us waiting in the dropship long enough to give the game enough time to crash me out of the game and lose all progress made.

gently caress playing with people.

The game is a minefield of crashes and disconnects right now, :fatshark: has their work cut out for them. I've found people are generally good at waiting for reconnects but I did log back into the victory elevator on one and my friend has lost three entire missions to disconnects with the game not existing when he goes to reconnect.

He also has some weird thing where once he reconnects after a guaranteed disconnect at the start of the final area of every mission, the other three players are all disconnected with their own network error. Once all four are back in they can sometimes recover, but usually wipe. With all that he's gone from wanting to play all the time to waiting for Fatshark to get their poo poo together.

Both 'tide and 40k players will gladly put up with a lot but this is definitely too early to be a full release. They should keep it labeled early access for a few more months minimum. They have to be working crazy crunch to try to get it cleaned up for next week.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

dogstile posted:

Sounds like a them problem because if you have a psych you can absolutely let them pop the long range specials while you loving mulch through a horde+whatever specials are in it with the (good) autogun.

3 isn't really that hard of a difficulty to be bugging people about gear unless literally none of you brought a kill something at range weapon.

True, problem with "mulching" a horde is that even with the extended mag on automatics, one bullet wont kill a walker unless its a headshot.

Guns also have no knockback and very bad zone control, which means that if one of four people is focused on shooting into the horde they arent controlling a direction. As soon as that person reloads the horde will just circle around and hit the people actually doing good work in the back.

3 is looking like the "casual fun run" zone in difficulty, where you can carry a shitter or two. Problem is people bring this into 4+ where autoguns and even automatic lasguns just dont cut the mustard anymore.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I must be the only zealot that did not immediately love the eviscerator.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I wonder if internet-esque data networks exist for the common man in 40k, and if they do, what does shitposting in the dark millennium look like

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Al-Saqr posted:

oh so it wasnt a normal crash that ended my run the entire outage is what happened sorry mysterious stranger.

It's kind of annoying when people want to stand outside the ship to magdump into the final horde but I do get it, that kind of thing is fun. I expect it to stop as the average player gets more experienced.

I think my biggest pet peeve is something that will disappear once I park on difficulty 4/5: people running off to the next pull without checking around them. More than in vermintide, random mooks will scatter to take cover, and I have a lot of games where I'm bringing up the rear and my job becomes finishing all the fights that the other team speedruns past. They are aggroed, they aren't going to stop shooting at us, but pubs will NEVER check to make sure they've cleared an area before running off to get shot in the back.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BombiTheZombie posted:

Problem is people bring this into 4+ where autoguns and even automatic lasguns just dont cut the mustard anymore.

BombiTheZombie posted:

On higher difficulties (3+) you cant have a ranged weapon that cant reliably and quickly kill specials in favor of a "horde clearing" ranged weapon.

I mean, sure, but you're changing what you said.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Qmass posted:

The secret behind the Eviscerator is to spam heavy attack into push attack (or vice versa) to avoid the vertical swipe and basically kill all the zombies all day every day. Oh there's a Mauler in the mix? Rev it up first and kill both the zombies and the Mauler in one swipe. Crushers? Ult and revved heavy kills them in one hit if you've got good enough stats on your weapon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm pretty sure i could cut mustard with a lasgun

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

dogstile posted:

I mean, sure, but you're changing what you said.

Aye, ive played around a bit with the autos on 3 and they are not complete garbage there so i concede that point. They do have a massive drop-off in effectiveness as enemy HP goes up since unless you can kill specials in the first volley they will just take cover or mulch you right back.

The jump from 3-4 is about as big as the jump from veteran to legend in vermintide in just how hectic, spammy and (sometimes) outright unfair the game gets.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I try other guns but I seem to end up back at the flamer. It’s just so damned cool. Also was curious how exactly burn worked and testing it in the meat grinder it looks like it ramps up massively the longer you hold the flame on something. Pretty much anything short of a crusher can easily be toasted to death.

I had noticed it dealt easily with the berserkers and maulers mixed in with hordes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ChickenHeart posted:

I wonder if internet-esque data networks exist for the common man in 40k, and if they do, what does shitposting in the dark millennium look like

I want to network the medicare stations together so they don't have to be lonely.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Qmass posted:

Are you using the block and swipe move set for CC? It’s great for horde control and aggro management and also does really well at mulching armored elites with a rev.

It definitely plays different than a lot of other weapons though. On the up side it also encourages a good block game which is mandatory on higher levels. That was the big thing that held me back in VT but the chainsword really made it click for me.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

ChickenHeart posted:

It's just death world heckling.. they'll post a picture of a farm world and show weak humans compared to cadians then the farm world will post a picture of their world and ask them to post theirs

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i remember there was an elf weapon in vermintide 2 (probably the spear) whose entire light and heavy moveset was all single-target thrusts which seemed like a huge liability on its face but its push attack was a massive sweep that you could essentially use alone to lock down hordes, always remember to try out your push attacks

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

CODChimera posted:

yeah that's one of the reasons i like the flashlight lasgun, 70 round mag and 700 ammo

i finally tried the shotgun, 9 round mag and like 50 ammo??? and the alt fire reloads one shell but you can cancel the normal reload after one shell anyway? seems really bizarre and strange. it could be because i have a purple axe, which i assume that means its good, and melee always felt better/safer than the shotgun. i'm just going by vibes though

I find the shotgun also knocks elites on their rear end. Like I'll shoot the armored chain axe dudes and they fall over for an easy finisher kill.

Edit: it's also strangely good at headshots at decent ranges. Usually I use the shotty for important targets/non-horde enemies and use my axe to save ammo when slicing and dicing poxwalkers.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 23, 2022

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Cowcaster posted:

i remember there was an elf weapon in vermintide 2 (probably the spear) whose entire light and heavy moveset was all single-target thrusts which seemed like a huge liability on its face but its push attack was a massive sweep that you could essentially use alone to lock down hordes, always remember to try out your push attacks

I would say it takes a solid 2-4 raids to actually get to know your weapon and test it out fully.

I try to use a new weapon for 4 raids before I make my mind up on it

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

TipsyMcStagger posted:

It's just death world heckling.. they'll post a picture of a farm world and show weak humans compared to cadians then the farm world will post a picture of their world and ask them to post theirs

Two astropaths died in the process of sending Gulliman the psychic projection of a .gif of a scene from Family Guy

Orv
May 4, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

True, problem with "mulching" a horde is that even with the extended mag on automatics, one bullet wont kill a walker unless its a headshot.

Guns also have no knockback and very bad zone control, which means that if one of four people is focused on shooting into the horde they arent controlling a direction. As soon as that person reloads the horde will just circle around and hit the people actually doing good work in the back.

3 is looking like the "casual fun run" zone in difficulty, where you can carry a shitter or two. Problem is people bring this into 4+ where autoguns and even automatic lasguns just dont cut the mustard anymore.

Nearly every poxwalker and human unit is the same height with tiny variations so you can sweep an Accatran lasrifle across a horde at head height and kill half of it with headshots, even on 4. Obviously do this before it reaches you and it’s melee time, unlike many rando vets.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Al-Saqr if you see this can you replace the first discord link in the OP with this one? It just points to a different channel that will make more sense for anyone joining in the future.

https://discord.gg/3KU8g9HPUr

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cowcaster posted:

Spear. Absolutely fantastic.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Al-Saqr if you see this can you replace the first discord link in the OP with this one? It just points to a different channel that will make more sense for anyone joining in the future.

https://discord.gg/3KU8g9HPUr

Ok done 👍

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

Push attack is so crucial in higher difficulties honestly. Some of the dual weapons absolutely needed it during hordes

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

boredsatellite posted:

Push attack is so crucial in higher difficulties honestly. Some of the dual weapons absolutely needed it during hordes

In the tutorial they should really emphasizes how important pushing is. Giving you 1 to 2 seconds of stopping a horde from hitting you/advancing is SO important.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What they really need to emphasize, though I have no idea how you do so in a concise tutorial format, is that you don’t just push once, cause then the guys in the back are still gonna slap you. Learning when it’s safe to melee the horde is one of the weirder skills I think.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orv posted:

What they really need to emphasize, though I have no idea how you do so in a concise tutorial format, is that you don’t just push once, cause then the guys in the back are still gonna slap you. Learning when it’s safe to melee the horde is one of the weirder skills I think.

:hmmyes:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Recon Lasgun VIb is indeed sweet as suspected. Sucks vs bosses tho, you'd think it could drill down the Beast of Nurgle pustule etc but doesnt. Popping F to drop 4 Shotgunners in a mag dump rules tho.

Power sword is loving magnificent. Want to encourage a veteran to melee? Get them one of those fuckers, holy poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok done 👍

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Woah, there's a queue now?