Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Would it make sense to go for a larger x95k mini led so bright lightning isn’t a big deal anymore and I get the larger screen? Everything I read about the x95k is bizarrely contradicting and it seems that the disconnect is that the 85” panel is the only really good one, so much so it’s almost a different tv.

Apparently the X95K has more zones as you get bigger so it becomes more accurate.

Back to your original question about an A95K in that space, you should be fine as long as you're not watching SDR content on Vivid with the brightness turned up to MAX and the Peak Luminance set to High.

Below is my TV set to brightness of 25, which is like halfway to the max. It's fairly bright.

Pardon the screen hanging off the furniture, the screen is 57" wide and the credenza is only 54".

Anyway, the only issues I've had so far have been with watching old Simpsons and with panning shots in movies and tv, turning on the motion interpolation Smoothness setting to 1 has helped. But I can also see there's a bit of soap opera effect and I do not like it. This is apparently an issue with OLED and QD-OLEDs and their near instantaneous response time which causes stuff to stutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Ok, I have driven myself around in circles researching new TVs for a bit now and I wanted to get some additional thoughts.

Initially we ballparked maybe $5-750, 75”. Open family room, tile, high ceilings, it’s no theater (seating roughly 12’ away). Swung through Best Buy as I haven’t looked at a TV in person in years (currently 55” Samsung ~5 years, never been thrilled with it). They steered us up to the Samsung Q80B and the Sony X90K ($999). After many hours, I settled on the Sony (Reddit said the Samsung was not worth it, but I may have been looking with the wrong crowd).

But then a friend of mine who has done a fair bit of home AV work asked why I was bothering to spend that - his opinion is buy cheaper and more often (since the tech is constantly changing). So maybe a ~$500 Vizio, then look to replace in 2-3 years. Problem is that puts me back near square 1.

I also have an ancient sound bar, was figuring to replace w/ 2 bookshelf speakers (Klipsch) and a cheap amp (Fosi) so $200 all in. Shifting TV price would give me a bit more room to buy in a bit higher, but I have no clue what to consider (friend said he’s honestly good with 2.1/2.2, which would probably suit me right now too).

Any help is appreciated, my brain is about to leak out of my eyes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So spend $600 on a Vizio that, in 3 years will be slow and maybe break and spend another $500 then on something similarly cheap but that will have like HDr+Max then.

Or, enjoy a good Sony now and in 3 years be ok with it, knowing that ATSC4k or whatever is just on the horizon and maybe your local channels will use it maybe.

Dude gives lovely advice UNLESS you literally just need a TV and don't care about picture quality or gaming bells and whistles, etc.

Stay away from the Samsung as they're overpriced and tend to be done in by firmware updates crippling the OS.

Edit: the "tech is always changing" thing just results in you staving off a purchase because X Feature is just about to release. So the real question you need to answer is how invested are you in the quality of image of the TV or the specs.

Anecdote: our bedroom TV from 2012 broke and we needed a replacement. I got a bigger Hisense with Roku from Costco. It's ok. The Roku OS is great, TV is responsive, no 4k reference material or PS5s on it. It does the job.
However.
I noticed that watching something like Arrow on it is god-awful ugly. Contrast is a mess. Image is blocky and gross up close. I'm likely the only one that will ever notice or care, but I would not want that in my living room space as the main screen.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 23, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also there really are like, two actual mid-line brands that get good-tech-trickle-down (that I can think of - please correct me if I'm wrong). The Roku 5 and 6 series and some Hisense lines. For most other poo poo, if you keep buying cheap you're never going to get anything really good.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I won’t be doing any gaming, it’s going to be primarily streaming TV and movies. I’d seen the TCL 5 and 6 recommended on a couple of sites, would those be a better bet? I’ve never had Roku built-in but from reviews it seems a little cleaner/better interface than most others. Hisense I honestly know nothing about, they seem cheaper, in general, which makes me a bit apprehensive about quality/longevity. Always open to learn more though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
You’d likely be just fine with a TCL 5 or 6, or a Hisense U7H or U8H. Just scout for deals on the size you want in your price range. The 6 series and U8H will have slightly more bells and whistles.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
TCL 6 series has been on sale at Best Buy recently. I think the 65 inch was like $600 the other day.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I got a Hisense u8h last weekend, put on a 4k Netflix nature doc, and am still completely losing my poo poo over how good it looked, I did not know this was possible. I was previously using a budget 4k monitor from ~6 years ago.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
TCL/HiSense have replaced Vizio as the bargain-but-decent brand. Vizio's a little too expensive now, slotting in just under Samsung, I think.

Personally, I think the advantage of the Roku interface is that it gets a really wide swath of apps and isn't hampered by devs choosing not to devote resources to a niche OS. We had a pretty decent Samsung in the living room and it didn't have a few apps we used on the Roku, for example. It's also pretty snappy, and the ads are in places you expect.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

teh_Broseph posted:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09QPVCV8Q
The 65" TCL 65R646 (Google TV version not Roku) hit $700 on Amazon which is pretty darn cool. I got it a month ago for $800 after missing the U8h deal to replace a busted good ol' KS8000 and for half the price of that Samsung I've been loving it. The interface has been snappy enough that though not perfect I've been using it instead of the Shield that's plugged in cause the TV has a newer version of Android it seems with some nice perks, and just making sure it's using all the right codecs/formats the right way. It's not an OLED upgrade for sure, but I just wanted something price effective cause I was still happy with the KS8000 and have been pleased that it's still a noticeable upgrade having newer TV tech. Like dimming zones, I was trying to compare how many zones the TCL has vs the old Sammy and lol the KS8000 didn't have local dimming period.
Stuck with built in speakers for now and Rtings happened to say this was their #1 rated built in sound quality TV, and ya know it's not terrible. Like it is bad, but sounds a ton better than the last one and with some EQ help kind of sounds acceptable and will totally get us by for a while till we figure out where to put external sound in that room. Had to turn a bunch of stuff off like every audio/video setting cause there were some auto "intelligent" settings one for audio one for video where it was just a toggle like hey would you like me to make whatever you're doing have the best settings? And I said yeahh sweet! But no, it was all motion smoothing and 'surround' EQ grossness so still had to just go through a ton of menus and set everything plain and natural. I guess the Tom Cruise PSA hasn't caught on yet. Motion looks different from the last TV and I think it's mostly better cause the old got really smeary in panning shots where new one is a lot more consistent on smoothness and I guess frame delivery I would call it, but I need to quadruple check if the motion smoothing is all 100% off cause I swear I do but still sometimes looks a little too smooth, but I also might be getting really messed up from watching new LotR show that may be playing at the 40-something higher framerate.
Cool TV.

And hit $600 at Amazon and BB, dang, nice. This is a nice price for a nice TV imo.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Remember that TCL and Hisense punch above their weight because you're selling your data to China. Make sure to turn off the data tracking features.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Roku feels like something that would come on some sketchy poo poo box you'd get off Aliexpress. I cant believe the app/channels store, it makes the Windows Store feel like a massive success. Just trying to find a drat theme or screensaver and I cant find a drat thing that isn't some probable spyware or at least isn't littered with ads, QR codes to dubious "charities", or isn't lacking any kind of personalization features whatsoever.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

Roku feels like something that would come on some sketchy poo poo box you'd get off Aliexpress. I cant believe the app/channels store, it makes the Windows Store feel like a massive success. Just trying to find a drat theme or screensaver and I cant find a drat thing that isn't some probable spyware or at least isn't littered with ads, QR codes to dubious "charities", or isn't lacking any kind of personalization features whatsoever.

What are you even trying to do? Just turn the TV on and watch something you want.

I don't know anyone that tries "personalize" it other than what is available in the system options. And I think 99.99% of people ignore that.

They just... Go watch something.

EDIT: I don't think most people ever deviate from "I'm going to install [major streaming service apps] and that's it."

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 24, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

codo27 posted:

Roku feels like something that would come on some sketchy poo poo box you'd get off Aliexpress. I cant believe the app/channels store, it makes the Windows Store feel like a massive success.
OP there's like 4 screensaver/theme bundles on Roku (Western! Sci-fi! Kids! Seasonal!) That do a good job of being simple themed sets.

The SciFI one has a rolling background screensaver full of references (lightsabers, various famous starships, etc).

Maybe don't look for specific poo poo and just settle for generic because what other streambox/OS lets you actually customize it you knob.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
For the most part I'm liking the, presumably newer, version of Android TV in that version of new TCL 6 series over the one on the newest Shield TV. Did some cool things like FINALLY giving a toggle option for the art Screensaver to disable the clock and weather and stuff - still displays an artist credit or something so it's not quite The Frame experience but whatever I can see a credit and it looks much closer to what I expect the Frame software gimmick looks like. I also have a Roku TV and Fire stick on a TV in the house and gimme Android TV over any of those any day of the week.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its always so unreal to me to see consumers come up with takes like "just dont use the built-in feature, you dont need it!" and "4 options is enough!". Jfc I'm not asking for a lot here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

Its always so unreal to me to see consumers come up with takes like "just dont use the built-in feature, you dont need it!" and "4 options is enough!". Jfc I'm not asking for a lot here.

What built in feature are you even talking about? Seems like you're actually ignoring the built in feature to go find some shady solution to do something that tv isn't meant to do... Then complaining about it.

Third party customization of your tv is not a feature. Expect a bad experience when you try to do it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So I just checked and my Roku TV has something like 70 available Wallpapers, 900 Screensavers, and a dozen Sound Packs.

Are you literally looking for screensavers in the Streaming Channel / App store or something like some boomer grandma? :roflolmao:

codo27 posted:

Jfc I'm not asking for a lot here.
I think it's unreasonable to call the Roku interface/system cheap AliExpress poo poo, personally. It's not WinAmp.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Holy loving jesus. The TV has a theme menu right there in settings with options for wallpaper and screensaver. Except there are only scarce few options, even worse than on a standalone roku it seems because half of whats been mentioned above isn't available on my TV. Basically all the options in the store are filled with ads and even crypto trackers and other cow dung. They were supposed to be working on letting you use your own images for wallpapers, but that fell through.

I'm not trying to hack it into doing something its not meant to do or incapable of doing. I'd like to be able to change the screensaver up once in a while with something that doesn't show me US weather for September as one I tried yesterday did, not to mention I dont even live in the US and this particular gem only supported US locations.

But, you know what, you're right. I'm completely wrong to think a company that ships millions of products should be capable of providing more than 3 stock images or screensavers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dude I have a $3k TV and the built in apps can't even run at the TV's native refresh rate. Manufacturers put the absolute minimum amount of effort into their poo poo and it sucks but that's the way it be.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

KillHour posted:

Dude I have a $3k TV and the built in apps can't even run at the TV's native refresh rate. Manufacturers put the absolute minimum amount of effort into their poo poo and it sucks but that's the way it be.

That's why I advise everyone to get a dedicated streaming box and never have to worry/interact with any of this poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qbert posted:

That's why I advise everyone to get a dedicated streaming box and never have to worry/interact with any of this poo poo.

4k120 streaming boxes don't exist yet :(

Not that it matters because even Moonlight can't get a 4k120 stream from existing GPUs. Maybe a 4090 but lol.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

codo27 posted:

It's because it's just not that big of a deal what the built in system does. In a world where there are $30-50 sticks for all the major "smart TV" platforms that work better than anything that's ever shipped in the actual TV, it's just not a significant problem. Buy a standalone streaming device that you like and stop giving a gently caress about what the TV manufacturer bundled.

The TV manufacturer's goals are:

1. Put as many checkboxes as possible in the feature list
2. Gather as much data as possible for advertisers.

Neither of those require it to be good in any way and almost no one ever returns a TV over the built in operating system, so consider a tolerable system to be a happy accident and move along.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Looking at replacing the living room TV. We live LG and have a big rear end c1 in the basement, so something similar. Between the C2, B2, and A2, what's the best option? I'm a big movie buff so picture quality is really important but the price difference between c series and the others is really tempting.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wouldn't care, I have a Shield but the CEC doesn't like to play nice with the rest of my setup and it will just turn itself on and switch inputs randomly, so I have to leave it off. Roku on TV does a lot of the important stuff well enough, YT, Netflix, Disney etc and being able to get away with one remote is key. Overall the app availability and flexibility pales compared to android TV but thats only really an issue in a few circumstances.

Believe me I know I'm the outlier and most people would never know they could change that poo poo or care to, but they created the ability to do so, and it wouldn't kill em to put in some more variety.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
For a super bright room with bay windows on north + south, plus a window on the east, Hisense u8h is the best option right? Even with blinds + drapes it's still a ton of natural light. That $600 deal on BB looks very tempting to replace my 10 year old tcl

My spouse badly wants one of those TVs where you pay for famous artwork to rotate on it when it's 'off' but every one of those is mediocre in a lot of light, correct?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

mastershakeman posted:

For a super bright room with bay windows on north + south, plus a window on the east, Hisense u8h is the best option right? Even with blinds + drapes it's still a ton of natural light. That $600 deal on BB looks very tempting to replace my 10 year old tcl

My spouse badly wants one of those TVs where you pay for famous artwork to rotate on it when it's 'off' but every one of those is mediocre in a lot of light, correct?

If you're on a budget then it looks like the u8h can't be beat at the moment.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

Holy loving jesus. The TV has a theme menu right there in settings with options for wallpaper and screensaver. Except there are only scarce few options, even worse than on a standalone roku it seems because half of whats been mentioned above isn't available on my TV. Basically all the options in the store are filled with ads and even crypto trackers and other cow dung. They were supposed to be working on letting you use your own images for wallpapers, but that fell through.

I'm not trying to hack it into doing something its not meant to do or incapable of doing. I'd like to be able to change the screensaver up once in a while with something that doesn't show me US weather for September as one I tried yesterday did, not to mention I dont even live in the US and this particular gem only supported US locations.

But, you know what, you're right. I'm completely wrong to think a company that ships millions of products should be capable of providing more than 3 stock images or screensavers.

Nobody said they couldn't offer more options for their built-in screensaver. Jesus. You were pitching a fit about a bunch of shady apps that you were looking for to fill a hole that nobody cares about.

Quit being a baby about something the tv isn't meant to do.

Customizability isn't a key feature. I've never even seen it advertised as a thing.The screensaver thing is just some poo poo thrown in on the side.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you want good screensavers buy an Apple TV. Problem solved.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

how’s the LG C2 brightness? I see rtings says its HDR brightness isn’t great.

…and I also see the thread title.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
TIL that Roku shut off the screensavers and wallpapers for accounts outside of the US! Lol

pmchem posted:

how’s the LG C2 brightness? I see rtings says its HDR brightness isn’t great.

…and I also see the thread title.
It's not great compared to the NanoQLED screens that get to 1200/1800 nits.

Buuuuuut, thanks to the INFINITE CONTRAST POWER of OLED, it's only really an issue in a very bright room. Best viewing is in a darker area but unless the sun is shining right in the screen OR you have bright white light directly behind it, should be ok

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

It's not great compared to the NanoQLED screens that get to 1200/1800 nits.

Buuuuuut, thanks to the INFINITE CONTRAST POWER of OLED, it's only really an issue in a very bright room. Best viewing is in a darker area but unless the sun is shining right in the screen OR you have bright white light directly behind it, should be ok

yeah my space isn't super bright. I'd be coming from a 2012-era LCD with LED backlight, which I'm GUESSING is brighter than OLED but can't find measurements.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

If you're in the dark there's no way you're gonna be watching a current gen OLED at max brightness very often if at all imo

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you want good screensavers buy an Apple TV. Problem solved.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codingbuffalo.aerialdream
Works on Android TV

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I use that and it's good, no clock

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pmchem posted:

yeah my space isn't super bright. I'd be coming from a 2012-era LCD with LED backlight, which I'm GUESSING is brighter than OLED but can't find measurements.
Eh, I'd doubt a 10 year old LED would be brighter than a C2. Especially with the age of those LEDs. And the fact that it doesn't have local dimming zones to really make things pop.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’m looking to pick up a cheap TV today, are any of the low-end brands particularly good or worth avoiding, or are they all pretty interchangeable? Under 40”, under $200.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Avoid house brands like Westinghouse.

Go for a Hisense or TCL with whatever OS you prefer (Android TV, Roku).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Alright. What wall mount would you all use with a 55" LG C2? I've never wall mounted a TV before. I don't anticipate needing to do anything fancy like rotate or swing it. Just mount and forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I did one of those semi-tilting dealies that's just a square rail bolted to the wall and it's is a fantastic pain in the rear end to get to some of the connections back there. So I would say don't do that.