Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Alright. I've barely used a tank of gas driving around town so we've not put on any great number of miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I was booked for a long haul round trip this January: OMA to DFW to HEL to BKK with BKK to HEL to ORD to OMA coming back, with the domestic legs on AA and the international ones on Finnair, booked through Expedia. This morning Finnair emails me to announce they are suspending the HEL to ORD route. As somone new to international flights, what happens now? Is Expedia or Finnair responsible for the rebooking? The logical thing would be to rebook HEL to wherever to OMA, but that would mean booking a new connecting flight, will they handle that? Will they just refund the whole thing? My main objective is getting there and back as cheaply as possible, I don't care about airline or where I transfer through but would prefer to avoid extremely long layovers. If I have to rebook it would be slightly more expensive then what I originally paid, what is the best course of action?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I expect you will soon get an email telling you the entire itinerary will be cancelled and refunded by Expedia, but if you want you can call/chat to keep the remainder and they will refund you some proportion of it for that leg. The airline is responsible for rebooking you, rather than Expedia, but in practice it is often a major hassle to deal with. That happened to my brother last year; his flight to Europe remained but the flight back was cancelled completely, and Expedia or Orbitz or whatever wanted to cancel his entire ticket and he had trouble even getting them to let him keep the leg he did want and then rebooking him on a separate flight. His flight back was with some poo poo rear end carrier (French Bee) and I think he did pay extra to get a non catastrophically bad flight back, although I think you’re supposed to be guaranteed a flight back at the same price.

I’d talk to Expedia to make sure they know you don’t want to refund the entire ticket, and then Finnair to see how they can get you back to ORD some other way.

I don’t use websites like Expedia anymore for exactly that reason btw. It sometimes like $50 on a $1000 ticket but it inevitably causes more trouble when things do go wrong. Anyway things will work out but just expect some hassle and be forceful with what you want; don’t accept their offers of a refund if that’s not what you want. They HAVE to rebook you if you want to rebook (Finnair not Expedia), unless they go bankrupt and out of business or something super dramatic.

They really do tricks like "YOUR FLIGHT IS CANCELLED AND WILL BE REFUNDED CLICK HERE" and then in tiny print somewhere "you can also get a rebooking for free, but instead for real please click the refund option" followed by "are you not not not sure you want a refund instead of rebooking?"

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
It's important to reiterate the "don't buy through a third party" thing. It only causes problems and confusion as noted aptly by Saladman.

To that end, Expedia is a travel agency and owns the ticket. They're on the hook to get you to and from your destination per the contract of carriage that comes with the ticket you bought. The issue is that their definition of that can be pretty broad, up to and often including taking flights many days later or with super terrible outcomes for the traveler. If it is at all possible, I'd get a full refund back to your source of payment (not a flight credit to be used later) and rebook something where you're working directly with the airline you're going to be flying on. If you have dates and things, post them and we'll help you find an alternative to get to BKK.

Travel sucks right now in a lot of ways, and you're going to see more of these kinds of schedule issues closer and closer to departure dates (ask me how I know). Dealing directly with the airline is going to give you a better chance for a good outcome.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Eh, it's a minor annoyance. My ideal would be to change to BKK-HEL-[any other US airport]-OMA, but I guess I'll be redoing the whole thing if they won't do that.

Edit:Dates are 12-31-22 to 1-29-23, want to fly out of LNK or OMA, but will consider KCI if it is significantly cheaper. Ok with flying out a day or two later or returning a day or two earlier if it will save more than $100 or so.

Edit2: Got an email saying to call them, spoke to someone in a busy Indian call center who offered to rebook me through DFW on 1-31. Decided to say gently caress it and got the full refund since the guy didn't sound too competent.

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 30, 2022

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Konstantin posted:

Eh, it's a minor annoyance. My ideal would be to change to BKK-HEL-[any other US airport]-OMA, but I guess I'll be redoing the whole thing if they won't do that.

Edit:Dates are 12-31-22 to 1-29-23, want to fly out of LNK or OMA, but will consider KCI if it is significantly cheaper. Ok with flying out a day or two later or returning a day or two earlier if it will save more than $100 or so.

Not sure what your original fare price was but I see $1122 for MCI-DFW-NRT-BKK//BKK-HND//HND-ORD-MCI on 12/31-1/26. Shaves a couple days off and has the overnight in Tokyo but, assuming they are letting people into the country at that point, Tokyo is not a bad town to kill an evening in. JAL will sell you that ticket with the AA and JAL segments.

Alternatively, you can do DEN-DFW//DFW-NRT-BKK//BKK-HND-LAX-DEN where the overnight is on the way out in Dallas for $795, plus the cost of a ticket to and from DEN which is usually around $220 or so, so still looking at around $1050, assuming that starting in DEN doesn't cost you an extra night in a hotel or whatever.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Beef Of Ages posted:

To that end, Expedia is a travel agency and owns the ticket. They're on the hook to get you to and from your destination per the contract of carriage that comes with the ticket you bought.

Wait really? I thought it was dealing with Expedia for the refund but dealing with the airline for a rebooking of a cancelled flight. It’s been about five years since I last did this but when I did, it was a flight to Luanda I bought that got cancelled in one direction by Angolan Airlines and I had to go into an Angolan Airlines (TAAG) office *in person only* to change the ticket instead of getting a refund. Of which they have like two offices in Europe, but coincidentally I was travelling to Paris where they had an office so I did it there. TAAG was adamant they wouldn’t do poo poo over the phone and I think Expedia was only willing to refund me or tell me to deal with TAAG, although I may be misremembering.

Also entirely possible that TAAG is not entirely on the up and up on doing things the proper, legal, mandated way in Europe. Anyway I got upgraded to business class so I guess it was worth the hassle, but I haven’t used a flight reseller since.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 30, 2022

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Saladman posted:

Wait really? I thought it was dealing with Expedia for the refund but dealing with the airline for a rebooking of a cancelled flight. It’s been about five years since I last did this but when I did, it was a flight to Luanda I bought that got cancelled in one direction by Angolan Airlines and I had to go into an Angolan Airlines office *in person only* to change the ticket instead of getting a refund. Of which they have like two offices in Europe, but coincidentally I was travelling to Paris where they had an office so I did it there. They were adamant they wouldn’t do poo poo over the phone.

Also possible that Angolan Airlines (TAAG) is not entirely on the up and up on doing things the proper, legal, mandated way in Europe. Anyway I got upgraded to business class so I guess it was worth the hassle, but I haven’t used a flight reseller since.

Yeah, that's a Taag thing. I got to deal with them in 2020 on GRU-LAD for a refund thanks to covid cancellations. They don't do much interlining or work with travel agents so you get to deal directly with them no matter what. For most other airlines in the world, buying at ticket through a travel agent means you deal with that travel agent for any changes or rebooking before the trip commences. If you're mid trip and something goes tits up at your connection point, the airline will usually take over at that point but even then they may refer you to the travel agent because the travel agent technically owns the ticket.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

Not sure what your original fare price was but I see $1122 for MCI-DFW-NRT-BKK//BKK-HND//HND-ORD-MCI on 12/31-1/26. Shaves a couple days off and has the overnight in Tokyo but, assuming they are letting people into the country at that point, Tokyo is not a bad town to kill an evening in. JAL will sell you that ticket with the AA and JAL segments.

Tokyo would be an excellent layover but it's still a big ??? if individual tourists will be let in within the next 6 months.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Beef Of Ages posted:

Yeah, that's a Taag thing. I got to deal with them in 2020 on GRU-LAD for a refund thanks to covid cancellations.

Speaking of TAAG things, I see that their new airport which was supposed to open in 2017 just had its first test flight land in June 2022 with commercial operations for "December 2023". TAAG and the Angolan government definitely seem like they're absolutely juuuust about ready to turn Luanda into a regional airport hub to rival Joburg and Addis, lol. I had a day in Luanda on one direction and 5 hours on the other, and those were a long 5 hours sitting in the only cafe in the entire airport, with its half-functioning A/C unit and $4 cans of coke. At least they had free wifi.

Still, maybe they'll be right since there's absolutely no regional hub anywhere within like a 3 hour flight of Luanda, and it would be convenient to not have to overshoot to Joburg, divert to Addis, or else look and pay for a direct from Europe or Casablanca.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Saladman posted:

Speaking of TAAG things, I see that their new airport which was supposed to open in 2017 just had its first test flight land in June 2022 with commercial operations for "December 2023". TAAG and the Angolan government definitely seem like they're absolutely juuuust about ready to turn Luanda into a regional airport hub to rival Joburg and Addis, lol. I had a day in Luanda on one direction and 5 hours on the other, and those were a long 5 hours sitting in the only cafe in the entire airport, with its half-functioning A/C unit and $4 cans of coke. At least they had free wifi.

Still, maybe they'll be right since there's absolutely no regional hub anywhere within like a 3 hour flight of Luanda, and it would be convenient to not have to overshoot to Joburg, divert to Addis, or else look and pay for a direct from Europe or Casablanca.

Agree that the opportunity is there, but the infrastructure is something I have concerns about. Especially if they're looking for people to do international transit a la JNB or CPT.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone dealt with flights being affected by strikes (or knows how that works)? I was notified by the airline that the return leg of my upcoming trip trip could be affected and that I should try to re-book the flights. This is a TAP Portugal flight via Lisbon.

There are only two flights a week though, so it would affect the trip quite a bit. What would happen if I don't do anything? Would I still get compensation if the flights do get canceled even though they notified me in advance? I really want to get 600EUR from them :)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The money you receive depends on the length of the flight and when you were notified about the cancellation. I got hit by 3 cancelled flights this year - 2 of them I was notified over 2 weeks beforehand with a proposed alternate flight ~6-12 hours later, which means no money. Last one I got to know about 12 hours before the planned departure (and it was the longest flight too), so the full compensation was paid AND I got to skip 2 days of a work trip (since there were no flights that could take me where I was supposed to go earlier).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, so that sounds like I probably won't get poo poo :v:

Wizzair did send send me some money for some reason though, I think maybe for a flight I wasn't going to take anyway?

E: Just got notification that my return flights will be canceled lol. Let's see what happens, I really wanted to be paid to be "stuck" on the beach but they'll probably just give some options a few days later/earlier.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 23, 2022

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Saladman posted:

I'm in Africa at the moment and I think it's actually Windhoek that will develop into a regional hub, not Luanda. Airlink essentially took over Air Namibia, and they're the only part of legacy SAA that could function properly (ie, not lose massive amounts of money). Their fleet is very right sized and their network is extensive.

Qatar has tried to do the same with Rwandair, but Rwanda is just too small to compete and they still have lofty obsessions with big planes and flying to London to lose money.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Scenario : live in St. Louis, MO. Hopefully going to Hawaii (Kauai specifically) in late July, early august.

Did a brief check on tickets at American and United (southwest won’t quote that far out yet) and yeah, $1400ish a piece is what it looks like (2 people).

Uhhh, any recommendations on ways to save ?

Note: at that cost savings is important, but we also are ok with paying more to have it be like, not a horrible experience , hence why I’m not looking at spirit or whatever.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Duckman2008 posted:

Scenario : live in St. Louis, MO. Hopefully going to Hawaii (Kauai specifically) in late July, early august.

Did a brief check on tickets at American and United (southwest won’t quote that far out yet) and yeah, $1400ish a piece is what it looks like (2 people).

Uhhh, any recommendations on ways to save ?

Note: at that cost savings is important, but we also are ok with paying more to have it be like, not a horrible experience , hence why I’m not looking at spirit or whatever.

I'll do my best to look at this tomorrow when I'm not on a plane and exhausted, but in the meantime I will note that all airlines with service to Hawaii, save for Southwest, have fares published for next summer.

Edit: gently caress me you said that and I misread it because my brain is not functional. I'll look at fares and things tomorrow.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beef Of Ages posted:

I'll do my best to look at this tomorrow when I'm not on a plane and exhausted, but in the meantime I will note that all airlines with service to Hawaii, save for Southwest, have fares published for next summer.

Edit: gently caress me you said that and I misread it because my brain is not functional. I'll look at fares and things tomorrow.

Hey man, any advice is appreciated. This isn’t until August , so while I’ll obviously want to book in advance , I have time to figure it out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey man, any advice is appreciated. This isn’t until August , so while I’ll obviously want to book in advance , I have time to figure it out.

How much do you have to go there, at that specific time? I see flights for much less than that from Europe pretty frequently (like 3 options for under $600 during this year) so you can try to wait if something shows up. Of course it's a complete gamble though.

E: case in point, Lufthansa from Budapest for $700:

290k HUF ~= $700

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 8, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

How much do you have to go there, at that specific time? I see flights for much less than that from Europe pretty frequently (like 3 options for under $600 during this year) so you can try to wait if something shows up. Of course it's a complete gamble though.

E: case in point, Lufthansa from Budapest for $700:

290k HUF ~= $700

We don’t know like, what exact dates yet. Our friend’s event is Aug 1st, so we need to be there before then. We do not have solid plans yet at all outside of that, so pretty flexible at the moment.

The plan I think is I’m def not booking airfare until at least January or February. See what happens with pricings, look for a deal, etc.

I think I saw someone posting on this page, I assume I should be booking direct via the majors: American, United, Alaska , etc ? That’s what I do anyway, just confirming.

Like, my gut says leave July 27 or 28 (thurs or Friday), and then return whenever after Aug 1st.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

We don’t know like, what exact dates yet. Our friend’s event is Aug 1st, so we need to be there before then. We do not have solid plans yet at all outside of that, so pretty flexible at the moment.

The plan I think is I’m def not booking airfare until at least January or February. See what happens with pricings, look for a deal, etc.

I think I saw someone posting on this page, I assume I should be booking direct via the majors: American, United, Alaska , etc ? That’s what I do anyway, just confirming.

Like, my gut says leave July 27 or 28 (thurs or Friday), and then return whenever after Aug 1st.

If you can wait until February before booking it, then I think you could just keep an eye out if something goes on sale until then.

Beef Of Ages might be able to help you more, I don't know the US domestic market specifics too well.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't think there are too many tricks to try here (e.g. hidden city ticketing)... just kind of have to wait and hope.

The only thing I can think of is, theoretically, instead of flying to Kauai directly, you could also consider flights to Maui or Honolulu. Right now I see STL -> Phoenix -> Maui with a ~10-11 hour travel time for $850. You'd then need to get a roundtrip to Kauai for about $150pp. Note that buying tickets separately means if your flight is late or you miss a connection, you lose the other ticket... so I'd only do it if you actually wanted to and could spend at least a day on Maui on either side of the trip to Kauai.

Also on that particular flight I see, it has a 25 minute layover in Phoenix (lol that they even sell that ticket) but there are 2 directs a day from Phoenix to Maui and the 25 minute layover is considering the first flight of the day, so you could probably figure out how to buy the flight that has a 3.5 hour layover instead of the 25 minute layover.

Right now it looks like only marginally a better deal, but it's worth checking out as those airports are bigger and may get better deals. I also checked out flighting from Chicago or Nashville, but the prices look basically the same and the flights equally inconvenient. Chicago has direct flights to Honolulu but they're expensive.

I also checked flights from Frankfurt for the same dates and indeed about the same price as from the USA despite being twice as far, so it's a bit of a mystery. My flight from Frankfurt to Mexico City was also twice as expensive as my brother's flight from San Francisco, so I don't know why flying is so expensive in the USA... it's not like they're doing carbon offsets.

You could also subscribe to destination updates on secretflying.com, which I used one time to get super cheap tickets to Namibia.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Great advice thank you everyone.

Yeah, I’m thinking I’m looking to early. There’s no rush to book other than obviously not waiting until a month before and there’s no tickets or they’re somehow even more expensive.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Duckman2008 posted:

Great advice thank you everyone.

Yeah, I’m thinking I’m looking to early. There’s no rush to book other than obviously not waiting until a month before and there’s no tickets or they’re somehow even more expensive.

So I'm like four days later instead of one but who's counting? :negative:

That OGG fare is down to like $700 depending on dates which is really not bad for the market, but yeah, there's not a specific rush here and starting early means you can watch the fares over time (I do this almost daily for big trips) and pull the trigger when it reaches a price point that you're willing to pay.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Hey plane specialists! We're 2 Europeans (French and German) currently planning a last minute trip to Asia from South America. We found the following flights for a fair price:

07 Feb - Cali, Colombia to LAX with American Airlines - Departure 08:00 AM, arrival 05:15 PM with a 2h25m layover in Miami

08 Feb - LAX to Tokyo Haneda with Delta - Departure 07:00 AM, arrival 03:10 PM (the next day) with a 1h15m layover in Seattle

How does that seem?
Are 2h25m enough time to clear border controls and customs in Miami, or we should we plan more time?
Are 13h50m enough time between 2 international flights from different companies? I've read online to plan at least 24h in case one flight is delayed or cancelled, but that does seem a bit long - especially as the only flight later from LAX is the same flight with Delta at 07:30 PM, but with a 12h overnight layover in Seattle.

Thanks a lot folks!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

Hey plane specialists! We're 2 Europeans (French and German) currently planning a last minute trip to Asia from South America. We found the following flights for a fair price:

07 Feb - Cali, Colombia to LAX with American Airlines - Departure 08:00 AM, arrival 05:15 PM with a 2h25m layover in Miami

08 Feb - LAX to Tokyo Haneda with Delta - Departure 07:00 AM, arrival 03:10 PM (the next day) with a 1h15m layover in Seattle

How does that seem?
Are 2h25m enough time to clear border controls and customs in Miami, or we should we plan more time?
Are 13h50m enough time between 2 international flights from different companies? I've read online to plan at least 24h in case one flight is delayed or cancelled, but that does seem a bit long - especially as the only flight later from LAX is the same flight with Delta at 07:30 PM, but with a 12h overnight layover in Seattle.

Thanks a lot folks!

2h25 minute layover in Miami: Probably OK. Immigration times can vary greatly, but probably 30 minutes as a ballpark average is a safe (but not guaranteed) estimate. However there are approximately 900 flights a day from MIA to LAX so you'll be fine even if you somehow miss that connection due to immigration lines, since you booked the same itinerary for Cali->Miami->LAX. I think you know this, but just in case: the USA does not do "international areas" like European airports: you have to clear customs and enter the country, meaning you also need an ESTA. There are no exit customs nor exit immigration; a flight from LA to Tokyo is identical to a flight from LA to New York, from the flyer's perspective.

1h15 layover in Seattle LAX - SEA - HND is tight but probably OK, if there are no flight delays. Is there a later flight on that same day from SEA to HND, just in case you miss the connection? Otherwise you're stuck with a 24h layover anyway and you had to get up at 4:30am for your flight out of LA. I'd consider 1h15 safe for a domestic transfer, but you never know with flight delays.

I think the flights that are booked separately is OK in that particular instance since there are several flights from Cali to Miami and a million from Miami to LAX, so you'll almost certainly get to LAX by the night of the 7th, but if you wanted to be safer then I guess book the 7:30pm flight out of LAX. I'd personally go for the 7:30pm flight anyway and get a nice airport hotel in Seattle, because gently caress getting up at 4:30am for a 7:00am flight if it's not my only option. You lose half a day in Japan, but otoh you'll only be tired and jetlagged instead of absolutely wiped and jetlagged. Depends on your bodies of course.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Saladman posted:

2h25 minute layover in Miami: Probably OK. Immigration times can vary greatly, but probably 30 minutes as a ballpark average is a safe (but not guaranteed) estimate. However there are approximately 900 flights a day from MIA to LAX so you'll be fine even if you somehow miss that connection due to immigration lines, since you booked the same itinerary for Cali->Miami->LAX. I think you know this, but just in case: the USA does not do "international areas" like European airports: you have to clear customs and enter the country, meaning you also need an ESTA. There are no exit customs nor exit immigration; a flight from LA to Tokyo is identical to a flight from LA to New York, from the flyer's perspective.

1h15 layover in Seattle LAX - SEA - HND is tight but probably OK, if there are no flight delays. Is there a later flight on that same day from SEA to HND, just in case you miss the connection? Otherwise you're stuck with a 24h layover anyway and you had to get up at 4:30am for your flight out of LA. I'd consider 1h15 safe for a domestic transfer, but you never know with flight delays.

I think the flights that are booked separately is OK in that particular instance since there are several flights from Cali to Miami and a million from Miami to LAX, so you'll almost certainly get to LAX by the night of the 7th, but if you wanted to be safer then I guess book the 7:30pm flight out of LAX. I'd personally go for the 7:30pm flight anyway and get a nice airport hotel in Seattle, because gently caress getting up at 4:30am for a 7:00am flight if it's not my only option. You lose half a day in Japan, but otoh you'll only be tired and jetlagged instead of absolutely wiped and jetlagged. Depends on your bodies of course.

Thanks for the quick feedback! Our ESTA is still valid, thanks for the reminder ;) Yeah we've never had layover in the US arriving from abroad, but last time we arrived at Chicago from France immigration took us almost 2 hours, hence why I am wary. Otherwise there is a flight from MIA to LAX 2h30m later if I want to be on the safe side.

My main issue with SEA is that either we have a 14h layover in LAX plus 1h15 in SEA, or we have a 24h+ layover in LAX plus 12h in SEA. We'd rather avoid the latter, as it will be either very tiring or very expensive in hotels... I was more afraid of not arriving on time in LAX and missing the 7AM to SEA to be honest.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

Thanks for the quick feedback! Our ESTA is still valid, thanks for the reminder ;) Yeah we've never had layover in the US arriving from abroad, but last time we arrived at Chicago from France immigration took us almost 2 hours, hence why I am wary. Otherwise there is a flight from MIA to LAX 2h30m later if I want to be on the safe side.

My main issue with SEA is that either we have a 14h layover in LAX plus 1h15 in SEA, or we have a 24h+ layover in LAX plus 12h in SEA. We'd rather avoid the latter, as it will be either very tiring or very expensive in hotels... I was more afraid of not arriving on time in LAX and missing the 7AM to SEA to be honest.

Yeah I had immigration in Detroit take like 2 hours once. It took about 45 minutes right before Christmas in Miami two weeks ago. Personally I'm looking forward to never having to do it again since now both my wife and I have Global Entry, but that time in Detroit is the only > 60 minute clearance time I've ever had. (Global Entry lets you skip immigration & also go through a separate, trivial low-security security line, but French citizens are not eligible for the program, and anyway it takes months to do the paperwork & get pre-approval).

Still, I think you'll be ok, just see what is the last flight of the day from MIA to LAX on the airline you purchased the ticket with, and you'll have at least that much leeway, in case of very bad luck at immigration. Normal delays won't cause you to miss your flights. A plane technical issue in Cali might, but even a plane technical issue in Miami wouldn't generally cause you to miss an overnight since there are just so many flights to LAX. I imagine weather issues in Cali are non-existent, and in Miami and in LAX very rare, so as long as the flights you're on are planes flying "City A- City B-A-B" back and forth, then potential winter storms shouldn't affect you either. If the flights you're on use "point-to-point" planes that go A-B-C-D-E-B-C-A then bad luck could be slightly more likely -- like how Southwest and Volaris got absolutely wrecked over Christmas this year by storms in the US and Mexico while legacy "hub to spoke" carriers recovered pretty quickly.

E: If you're really worried about it (which is not unreasonable to be) and can't figure out how to get such a complicated itinerary on one single ticket, then this is where travel agents might actually be useful. I did that once for a similarly complicated flight schedule, and not only was she able to get it on one ticket, but it was like $200 cheaper than I found trying to DIY. Unfortunately the company I used for it, STA Travel, went bankrupt due to a mix of COVID and probably also bad contingency planning, so I'm not sure which companies could do that for you. Normal walk-in travel agents seem to really specialize just in package tours and cruises, but worth a shot?

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 8, 2023

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Chikimiki posted:

How does that seem?

Thanks a lot folks!

Can you help me understand what "fair price" means in this context? I'm struggling as to why you're involving LAX when you could to MIA-SEA and not worry about the LAX bit, thus giving you an overnight in SEA to make your HND connection and one less flight in the mix (which means one less opportunity for your itinerary to go all to hell).

I mostly agree with Saladman's notes about customs and immigration but do keep in mind that those lines for non-US residents can be crazy at times at many US airports, so it really depends on when your flight from Cali lands. Two hours would normally be plenty, but it's by no means a guarantee, especially if you have checked bags and need to recheck them before your next flight. Also keep in mind that load factors on domestic flights in the US are very high right now, so even though there are multiple flights operating in a given market, that doesn't mean that there will be seats available for you to switch to if you have issues. I'd have several backup flights identified and watch the loads as you get closer so you can make educated requests and suggestions to the airline agent if you run into problems. An Expert Flyer membership may be worth the investment to assist with this.

But yeah, if you haven't booked this yet, please share what you're looking at in terms of prices and I'm happy to take a look at simpler interaries. Even if you have already booked it, if you have separate tickets for the second half, it may be worth buying a MIA-SEA on Alaska airlines for $169 and throwing away the MIA-LAX segment so that you get to SEA the night before you fly to HND.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Thanks a lot for your answers! I'll have to look into going to SEA directly, that's a great idea :)
Current prices are 290$ for CLO-LAX and 427$ for LAX-HND, without checked luggage. Not cheap, but then again we're booking quite late.

/Edit: going directly to Seattle is not an option unfortunately, as direct flights to Tokyo cost 995$ :v:

I was also wondering, given that the AA is proposing such a short layover in Miami: if we miss our connecting flight because of border control or customs, are they obliged to get us on another flight, or would we be SOL?

/Edit2: found a cheap direct flight LAX - HND with a company called Zipair, seems to be a low-cost airline... Anyone had experience with them?

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 8, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zipair seems to be a low cost subsidiary of JAL that leases a few 787s from them. Given that I'd expect the schedule and reliability to be good but cabin comforts may be lacking, you may have to pay a lot extra for checked bags, etc.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Alright thanks! In the meantime I found a cheaper flight with Air Canada, 551$ for 2 flights: BOG-YYZ on Feb 07, and YYZ-NRT on Feb 08. Unfortunately once I try to book it I get an error message, BK_ORD_001 :v: Wrote to their support already, anybody had a similar problem with them? Thanks!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Chikimiki posted:

Alright thanks! In the meantime I found a cheaper flight with Air Canada, 551$ for 2 flights: BOG-YYZ on Feb 07, and YYZ-NRT on Feb 08. Unfortunately once I try to book it I get an error message, BK_ORD_001 :v: Wrote to their support already, anybody had a similar problem with them? Thanks!

Where are you trying to book that? Air Canada's site or somewhere else?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Air Canada's site, multi destination. If I try to book the segments individually, it's much more expensive, almost double the price.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

Air Canada's site, multi destination. If I try to book the segments individually, it's much more expensive, almost double the price.

That sounds way better as an itinerary, except that you have to get to Bogota, and there’s some chance of Toronto being a frozen wasteland. Still, better two flights through the tundra rather than four through warmer places. I didn’t realize you hadn’t already bought the first flight to LAX. For buying the tickets, try a private browser window — if you have security extensions that can mess with a lot of flight websites.

For finding good tickets, I use Google Flights always now, since several years. It doesn’t sell the tickets but links you directly to the flight company at the end of the search. Very occasionally it gives an incorrect price.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Saladman posted:

That sounds way better as an itinerary, except that you have to get to Bogota, and there’s some chance of Toronto being a frozen wasteland. Still, better two flights through the tundra rather than four through warmer places. I didn’t realize you hadn’t already bought the first flight to LAX. For buying the tickets, try a private browser window — if you have security extensions that can mess with a lot of flight websites.

For finding good tickets, I use Google Flights always now, since several years. It doesn’t sell the tickets but links you directly to the flight company at the end of the search. Very occasionally it gives an incorrect price.

Yeah that's what I figured - 2 flights is easier, even if we have to pass through a cold area. Plus, we have free bagage allowance which is getting increasingly rare these days. Bogota is actually quite easy to get to go Cali, we've been around a lot in Colombia.

I actually do the same as you for tickets, I found these by messing around with the connecting city in Google flights! Unfortunately still no luck in booking them, tried different browsers as well but no dice. From some quick googling it seems to be a common problem with the AC website...

/Edit: strangely enough, if I try the same route but starting from Miami (MIA-YYZ & YYZ-NRT) it works, I'm able to advance until the payment site :shrug:

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 9, 2023

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Chikimiki posted:

Yeah that's what I figured - 2 flights is easier, even if we have to pass through a cold area. Plus, we have free bagage allowance which is getting increasingly rare these days. Bogota is actually quite easy to get to go Cali, we've been around a lot in Colombia.

I actually do the same as you for tickets, I found these by messing around with the connecting city in Google flights! Unfortunately still no luck in booking them, tried different browsers as well but no dice. From some quick googling it seems to be a common problem with the AC website...

/Edit: strangely enough, if I try the same route but starting from Miami (MIA-YYZ & YYZ-NRT) it works, I'm able to advance until the payment site :shrug:

The other thing to consider is that if you can do BOG-YYZ or whatever, you don't have to transit the US and deal with immigration and all those other things. Canada is a real country with international transit capabilities.

Google is apparently having problems pricing this sort of trip which probably means AC is not filing valid fares in the markets for whatever reason. I see CLO-BOG-YYZ-YVR-NRT leaving on February 7 for $647 one way but becomes $1800 if you try to book it. There's a few other things out there out of MEX that are a little more, but not sure what your budget looks like.

Edit: Air Canada is offering MEX-YUL-NRT leaving on the 8th with an overnight in Montreal for $776. Doesn't touch the US but you'll definitely need warmer clothing than you need in Cali.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 9, 2023

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Beef Of Ages posted:

The other thing to consider is that if you can do BOG-YYZ or whatever, you don't have to transit the US and deal with immigration and all those other things. Canada is a real country with international transit capabilities.

Google is apparently having problems pricing this sort of trip which probably means AC is not filing valid fares in the markets for whatever reason. I see CLO-BOG-YYZ-YVR-NRT leaving on February 7 for $647 one way but becomes $1800 if you try to book it. There's a few other things out there out of MEX that are a little more, but not sure what your budget looks like.

Edit: Air Canada is offering MEX-YUL-NRT leaving on the 8th with an overnight in Montreal for $776. Doesn't touch the US but you'll definitely need warmer clothing than you need in Cali.

Thanks for searching! Gonna check out MEX as well. Seems like fares overall are a bit fudged at the moment.
I've also looked for online travel agencies, I've found the BOG-YYZ-NRT for 30$ extra with onetravel.com but I've got no idea how reliable that is, I've always booked directly with airlines.

UPDATE: finally found the error, our stopover was slightly less than 24h and thus didn't count as one, and couldn't be booked as a multi-city trip. Spending one more night in Toronto made it eligible, and we could book our flights to Tokyo from Bogota for 620$. Plus, we have a friend living in Toronto so we'll be able to see her as well!

Thanks for your help goons!

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 10, 2023

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My best friend is getting married in Turkey, the first week of September.

I live in NYC.

Google Flights tells me that the cheapest flight is around $1200 from Turkish Airlines (once in the website it ends up being around $1300), for the most basic Economy, non refundable ticket.

Is booking this far ahead te best idea or should I wait a bit? Any suggestions on alternate routes or connections that might yield a cheaper flight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dpkg chopra posted:

My best friend is getting married in Turkey, the first week of September.

I live in NYC.

Google Flights tells me that the cheapest flight is around $1200 from Turkish Airlines (once in the website it ends up being around $1300), for the most basic Economy, non refundable ticket.

Is booking this far ahead te best idea or should I wait a bit? Any suggestions on alternate routes or connections that might yield a cheaper flight?

That's way to far out IMO, considering

so yeah I'd wait and keep an eye on it