Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Norton posted:

watching 50 enormous trucks and freshly washed SUVs gridlocked in the grocery store parking lot before Thanksgiving and it occurred to me that the chairs in wall-e were not nearly stupid enough to be an effective satire of car culture. we need a movie where everyone drives 1000 ton battle mechs back and forth across town every day for no good reason and at great personal danger and expense

I don't go to Costco between November 1st and January 1st. First year I had a membership, the parking lot was gridlocked like you said but there were a shitload of open spots far out. People were driving in circles for a half hour to get a spot close to the door so they wouldn't have to walk 300 feet. Asked the greeter if that was normal and she said "every holiday season it's like this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

suck it, parking spaces

https://twitter.com/StrongTowns/status/1595147692988329984

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Honestly owning a car should be as onerous as possible, so bring on the stupid subscriptions.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i made the stupid mistake of going to the grocery store yesterday, cars take up way too much space. also it would have been hellish and stressful even without cars because there were a million people there and it was hard to find everything i needed, but, however, having to find parking, dodge cars whipping around corners in the parking lot, etc, very annoying as well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Today is the biggest drunk driving day of the year. Everyone have a good time out there.

Thanksgiving Eve is the busiest bar night after NYE.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Today is the biggest drunk driving day of the year. Everyone have a good time out there.

really? I would think Thanksgiving or black friday, or New Years eve, or st Patrick’s

I guess that many people don’t want to face in-laws or family tomorrow so they just get hammered? tbf I feel for that

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

really? I would think Thanksgiving or black friday, or New Years eve, or st Patrick’s

I guess that many people don’t want to face in-laws or family tomorrow so they just get hammered? tbf I feel for that

It's that plus it's the first long weekend break college kids get, so freshmen return to their hometowns with their first fake IDs and a burning desire to show all their old classmates how interesting they've recently become

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

This is a relatively minor thing, but each time I see it I get frustrated by catering specifically to cars. This grocery store has two entrances. One entrance is facing downtown just one block off of the very walkable downtown main street with plenty of bike racks adjacent to the door. The other entrance faces the parking lot.

Guess which entrance has been closed for nearly three years now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

I don't go to Costco between November 1st and January 1st. First year I had a membership, the parking lot was gridlocked like you said but there were a shitload of open spots far out. People were driving in circles for a half hour to get a spot close to the door so they wouldn't have to walk 300 feet. Asked the greeter if that was normal and she said "every holiday season it's like this."

I've been to Costco in multiple states. I've had a membership but also if you're on the road and on a severe budget, the Costco snack bar is a cheap source of food. All Costco parking lots are nightmares. No matter where you are. They're all insane. Even in Canada. It's an endless mystery to me.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CopperHound posted:

This is a relatively minor thing, but each time I see it I get frustrated by catering specifically to cars. This grocery store has two entrances. One entrance is facing downtown just one block off of the very walkable downtown main street with plenty of bike racks adjacent to the door. The other entrance faces the parking lot.

Guess which entrance has been closed for nearly three years now.

I hate this poo poo and the safeway near me does the same thing. They closed the door closer to the sidewalk in March 2020 and have never reopened it.

Also they got rid of hand baskets and tiny carts so everything is purely catered to GIANT cart shopping instead of just carrying a few things at a time.
A) small carts rock bc they are more manuevarable and I can put my bags in the bottom easily B) it helps me judge if i'm at my limit of things I could reasonably walk and carry back home.

So instead now I just awkwardly carry like 10 things in my arms

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

I hate this poo poo and the safeway near me does the same thing. They closed the door closer to the sidewalk in March 2020 and have never reopened it.

Also they got rid of hand baskets and tiny carts so everything is purely catered to GIANT cart shopping instead of just carrying a few things at a time.
A) small carts rock bc they are more manuevarable and I can put my bags in the bottom easily B) it helps me judge if i'm at my limit of things I could reasonably walk and carry back home.

i can no longer enter a grocery store without thinking about the story of people being universally disgusted when they first introduced shopping carts.

"No thanks, I'll simply carry my basket of items with my strong arms"

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've been to Costco in multiple states. I've had a membership but also if you're on the road and on a severe budget, the Costco snack bar is a cheap source of food. All Costco parking lots are nightmares. No matter where you are. They're all insane. Even in Canada. It's an endless mystery to me.

Haven't tried it during holiday season yet, but business costco is way less crazy than a regular one.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dxt posted:

Haven't tried it during holiday season yet, but business costco is way less crazy than a regular one.

in my area the business costco is even worse for some reason. it doesn't help that its in a weird spot and the parking lot is shaped weird but jesus loving christ people drive even more nuts.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i can no longer enter a grocery store without thinking about the story of people being universally disgusted when they first introduced shopping carts.

can i read this story ,,, ???

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Smythe posted:

can i read this story ,,, ???

https://www.engage3.com/2018/10/grocery-cart-history-1/

I knew it was gonna be a piggly wiggly store since piggly wiggly was the first ever self shop grocery store.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

doing a fucky wucky at piggly wiggly

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

david cameron hosed a dead piggly wiggly

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

https://www.engage3.com/2018/10/grocery-cart-history-1/

I knew it was gonna be a piggly wiggly store since piggly wiggly was the first ever self shop grocery store.

cool thnx

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

pushing a cart around makes grocery shopping more like driving and therefore more ideologically tolerable for americans

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Clark Nova posted:

pushing a cart around makes grocery shopping more like driving and therefore more ideologically tolerable for americans

Ah that is why people are so aggressive with their carts…voooom.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I wonder how much of this was part of a psyop to encourage people to just toss whatever garbage strikes their fancy into the cart and spend more, more, more money.

I think for my next couple shopping trips I'll deliberately use only the hand basket and see if that has any impact on my purchases.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder how much of this was part of a psyop to encourage people to just toss whatever garbage strikes their fancy into the cart and spend more, more, more money.

I think for my next couple shopping trips I'll deliberately use only the hand basket and see if that has any impact on my purchases.

Oh it totally is. I've noticed that when I have a small basket or cart I really do buy way less. Its like the costco effect where everything in costco seems smaller than it is and you get it home and suddenly its like "holy loving poo poo there's no way im going to be able to eat all this before it goes bad and i dont have anymore room in the freezer, gently caress"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

it absolutely is, it’s pretty well documented

one of the reason Costco has huge carts and nothing smaller is they don’t want people to buy just a few items. if your cart is huge and you toss an item in its psyching you out that you should add a few more impulse buys and so on. they intentionally don’t provide anything smaller and don’t want you shopping without a huge rear end cart

I do hand baskets especially at Trader Joe’s and stuff because it’s also a pretty good way to self moderate, also same reason I often bike or walk to grocers

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

can't you just put stuff directly in your reusable bag

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

actionjackson posted:

I suppose i could but im also worried theyll bother me for stealing or something. But hey im a middle aged white lady. Chances are no one will bother me.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

depends on whether the owners/employees are psychos about potential shoplifters

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

silicone thrills posted:

i bring 2 or 3 ikea bags with me and load them up while i'm shopping. they hang on my shoulders and are stronger i am, they're not gonna burst and there no balancing some veggies in plastic film on top of a meat tray while shopping. and i know how heavy everything is and how it's gonna feel on the walk back.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

jetz0r posted:

i bring 2 or 3 ikea bags with me and load them up while i'm shopping. they hang on my shoulders and are stronger i am, they're not gonna burst and there no balancing some veggies in plastic film on top of a meat tray while shopping. and i know how heavy everything is and how it's gonna feel on the walk back.

I do this too. They're like a dollar apiece and they have hand straps and longer shoulder straps and are surprisingly durable.

Nobody's ever given me a hard time about it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

For some reason this doesn't stop small business owners from fighting bike lane and patio installation tooth and nail.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

oh it does. sometimes I’ll intentionally go without a basket if I’m at the expensive grocery store and I want to make sure I leave with only a handful of items.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You're battling psychologists here, not shopping cart types, and they don't have a Hippocratic oath to give lip service to. The only way to beat impulse shopping is grim killjoy determination or opting out of the game entirely by making a list and then ordering only that in advance of your trip. Reusable huge bags own but make sure you wash them sometimes you filthy animals.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always go into the store with a specific list and basically don't even notice things that aren't on my list. I have to do that so that I don't forget anything , but I guess it prevents impulse buys too.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Epic High Five posted:

You're battling psychologists here, not shopping cart types, and they don't have a Hippocratic oath to give lip service to. The only way to beat impulse shopping is grim killjoy determination or opting out of the game entirely by making a list and then ordering only that in advance of your trip. Reusable huge bags own but make sure you wash them sometimes you filthy animals.

lol the reusable shopping bags being dirty was like a giant loving op by the plastics council to make people not want to use them. I just rinse my drat produce and dont worry about it.

lmao sorry - the american CHEMISTRY council

https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/how-to-clean-reusable-shopping-bags

quote:

According to a 2010 study by the American Chemistry Council—which, it should be noted, represents some plastic bag manufacturers—many reusable bags contain coliform bacteria, a category that includes E. coli. Also important: 97 percent of the 84 people interviewed for the study had never (yes, ever!) washed their bags. So, if you're transporting raw meat, seafood, and vegetables in your reusable shopping bags and have never washed them before, you run the risk of inadvertently cross-contaminating your groceries.

Yeah and i bet those carts you put your food in have literally also NEVER BEEN WASHED OH THE HUMANITY

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Nov 23, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Sorry that was probably a bit much but god a few years ago that poo poo was just constantly bugging in my ear because i've been doing the reusable bag thing since like 2005 when i first moved into an apartment and realized that they're way more comfortable to carry around and I can do all my groceries in one load with them and not worry about breakage. My mother in law was sending me articles and harassing me about washing them constantly and its like yeah. I throw em in the wash every so often but its not a big deal.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

lol the reusable shopping bags being dirty was like a giant loving op by the plastics council to make people not want to use them. I just rinse my drat produce and dont worry about it.

lmao sorry - the american CHEMISTRY council

https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/how-to-clean-reusable-shopping-bags

Yeah and i bet those carts you put your food in have literally also NEVER BEEN WASHED OH THE HUMANITY

People are definitely huge germ freaks about stuff in a laughably inconsistent way but I'm talking like, people not tossing their cloth bags in with their laundry after a bunch of meat juice from a poorly sealed slab of chicken breasts because it's just not linked to the laundering part of their brain like clothes and towels are.

I did say people should be using them, you don't need to present a counter argument like I've got a big PLASTICS COUNCIL SHILL political cartoon vest on!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

People are definitely huge germ freaks about stuff in a laughably inconsistent way but I'm talking like, people not tossing their cloth bags in with their laundry after a bunch of meat juice from a poorly sealed slab of chicken breasts because it's just not linked to the laundering part of their brain like clothes and towels are.

agreed. why it’s ok to wear a jacket for months without washing yet you’ll throw a sweatshirt in after wearing a few times?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Someone in my field recently put out some research about how plastic shopping bags might actually be GOOD for the environment because people find extra uses for them. Big Plastic strikes again

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Epic High Five posted:

I've got a big PLASTICS COUNCIL SHILL political cartoon vest on!

:thunk:
Seems sus

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Someone in my field recently put out some research about how plastic shopping bags might actually be GOOD for the environment because people find extra uses for them. Big Plastic strikes again

"I love taking home these cheap lovely easily breakable plastic bags to put my cat poo poo in!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Sure, you can throw out other plastic garbage in them. It's a virtuous cycle.