Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Recon Lasgun VIb is indeed sweet as suspected. Sucks vs bosses tho, you'd think it could drill down the Beast of Nurgle pustule etc but doesnt. Popping F to drop 4 Shotgunners in a mag dump rules tho.

Power sword is loving magnificent. Want to encourage a veteran to melee? Get them one of those fuckers, holy poo poo.

Yeah in the range of lasguns the lucius is the real bosskiller, it can one shot all the ogryns, or two if its a chest shot. Chunks bosses for like 5 percent of their health a shot.

Its cool with good looks and great sound design but too slow for me to like much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

apostateCourier posted:

look, the ogryn actively moving in the way of my shots while I'm trying to shoot the gunner murdering the team is going to be unhelpful every time. I don't see what's controversial about this.

Here's the thing.
Have you ever watched kids playing soccer (or basketball, or any team-based, one-ball sport) ? I'm not talking formal soccer practice, I'm talking about street or schoolyard soccer. It's quite fascinating, and has nothing whatsoever to do with soccer. Nobody's defending. Nobody's guarding anyone. Nobody's trying to create openings. What happens is, every single kid bar one joins a massive scrum around The Ball. Everybody is pushing everyone to get to kick The Ball, once, in any direction whatsoever. Sometimes The Ball somehow escapes from the deathball of dozens of legs kicking, and the giant scrum frantically runs after The Ball. Sometimes, by happy accident, The Ball somehow passes between the piles of coats that make up the goals, but nobody's quite sure how it happened.

And there's always one kid who sits in front of the goals/basket, screaming "I'm open ! Pass me the ball !".
That kid will never, ever get the ball. He's a little smarter than the rest, he understands soccer a little better but he's making a crucial mistake : he thinks he's playing Soccer instead of Kid Soccer. And he gets pissed off he never gets to play.

That kid is you rn.

PUGtide and Vermin/Darktide are fundamentally different games and experiences. You can't rely on your teammates in PUGtide, so you absolutely HAVE to run a generalist build that can deal with hordes, specials, armor, snipers, manage ammo, heal up etc... equally well. When someone remembers to tag a special, everyone will immediately drop whatever they're doing to try and kill the special, because nobody's saying "I got it" and the special is now The Ball and everyone loves kicking The Ball. People run ahead or lag behind, nobody turns around to watch their backs, people keep advancing through a horde or try to do Survive events in the middle of the loving room...
It's just what happens in PUGs. And since I haven't found a way to stick with a PUG teammate in Darktide, it's hardly going to change (whereas in VT2 you could sort of learn A Couple Guys' builds, behaviors and good/bad habits and adapt around it throughout an evening of clicking rats together)

You want someone to pass you the ball because you're open as hell, play in a fixed group, either your actual friends or rear end in a top hat goons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Average pubbie sharpshooter:

https://i.imgur.com/7FEyISE.mp4

Five shots to kill a single, lone poxwalker. While we're all low on ammo from a nurgle beast fight just before :psyduck:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I was feeling a bit nostalgic, so I went looking for VT/VT2 dialogue videos, and man, it makes me a bit sad how much... well, character the U5 had than the create-your-own characters in Darktide.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'm having fun and not worrying too much about the dumb poo poo other people do, would recommend

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

I was feeling a bit nostalgic, so I went looking for VT/VT2 dialogue videos, and man, it makes me a bit sad how much... well, character the U5 had than the create-your-own characters in Darktide.

Yeah I understand what they were going for but the create a characters are just big fat 0s conspired to the vermintide crew

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Average pubbie sharpshooter:

https://i.imgur.com/7FEyISE.mp4

Five shots to kill a single, lone poxwalker. While we're all low on ammo from a nurgle beast fight just before :psyduck:

B A S T I O N 2 - 20

Edit: I think they also have a medkit. Lol, good luck getting them to drop it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I got to be the lone sharpshooter in a 3 ogryn pug group last night and I had an absolute blast. They got to do Operation Rolling Confusion and I would just follow behind picking off stragglers, knocked down enemies, and balcony gunners. We even did 2 grims with very little fuss.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I dunno the point of all the background character stuff and different voices :shrug: just have 1 voice for each character and loads of personality. Now the lines are so spread out and the characters barely talk to each other it sucks.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hemale in pain posted:

I dunno the point of all the background character stuff and different voices :shrug: just have 1 voice for each character and loads of personality. Now the lines are so spread out and the characters barely talk to each other it sucks.

But what do you think of the pilot?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

IMO the plot is very engaging and really builds on the deep LORE of the imperium in general and the Imperial Guard specifically.

Edit: lol, the pilot is cool too. Hope we get to play them. Easy $20 purchase. Have it be some CoD AC-130 mechanic and shoot poxwalkers from the sky.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

hemale in pain posted:

But how will the others know I am from Cadia if I am not super angry sounding all the time?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Are you really living if not screaming "FOR CADIA!!! THE PLANET BROKE BEFORE THE GUARD!!!" before you log off at 4 am for the day.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Mesadoram posted:

But how will the others know I am from Cadia if I am not super angry sounding all the time?

Cadia is not just a planet, it's all around us

The air scrubbers cant filter all of the dust out

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So far I'm playing on babymode so it's merely extremely funny that the two giant musclemen bodyblock everything, instead of teamwiping as we shoot them to death each time they do anything at all

But it balances out, because they keep thinking we're just enemy specials and shooting us back before realizing what's up

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Re: Eviscerator, Heavy attack -> Light Attack -> Repeat is great for horde clear too. It’s higher DPS than using the Push attack while maintaining the lateral attack pattern, so if you’re in a situation where you can get away with just dodges and mulching to keep you alive then it’s the superior choice.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mendrian posted:

This is all picking nits.

People are going to block shots, hoover ammo, and shoot when it's suboptimal. You can either internalize your mental boogeyman and inch closer to the disconnect button every time an ogryn blocks you or a vet shoots an enemy when maybe he shouldn’t, or you can rip the bong and chill.

Like yeah there are people who do those things but I've seen people jump to conclusions about the quality of their team mates over a couple of bullets or a single mistake. Don't internalize the negativity. Hit more chaos.

When it happens consistently across an entire session, it is going to be aggravating. I have never disconnected and will never disconnect over people being bad at video game, nor do I have easy access to weed. There are spaces between these two extremes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BadOptics posted:

Are you really living if not screaming "FOR CADIA!!! THE PLANET BROKE BEFORE THE GUARD!!!" before you log off at 4 am for the day.

Always be suspect of people with Cadian origins. Why aren't you space dust right now? What, was guarding the gate to hell so boring that you had to go off world while everyone else was getting blow up? Sus

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Swiftbow was great in early VT2, screw the haters.

Much like the swiftbow the accatram lasgun just needs to focus fire on the specials to melt them and it's rather ammo efficient, if you aim at head level you will clear that horde and whatever else is crowding inside it, the only thing you should avoid doing is spraying into a pure trash horde, save the reload for when more elites mix into it or a sudden wave of specials swarm in and you hit your ultimate.

I still need to try the bolter out however, just got it when the servers crapped themselves.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Can I introduce you to the male Loner or Savant Psyker?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 23, 2022

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I think they should make the Ogryns smaller to fix the blocking issue. Say, about man-sized. Yeah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do not post Big Bardin

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Can I introduce you to the Loner or Savant Psyker?

Loner sucks. His favorite TV show would be Rick and Morty and he really wants to talk to you about it. Female loner is okay, but I've not heard many players pick her.

Savant and Seer are both good though, for both genders.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've been trying to get the "abhor the mutant" penance, and I haven't been able to make it work.

The text is "While dashing, kill a Mutant with a melee attack".

While I'm dashing? It's dashing? We're both dashing? I swear I've done at least one of all 3.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All player characters should be invisible and not block any shots. All health, ammo, and various drops should be instanced to the player. Every health station should have a charge assigned to each player. Maybe we could even instance the enemies as well.

And barrels. Especially barrels.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Do the class auras stack? I bet they don't but I want them to

Orv
May 4, 2011

Floppychop posted:

I've been trying to get the "abhor the mutant" penance, and I haven't been able to make it work.

While I'm dashing? It's dashing? We're both dashing? I swear I've done at least one of all 3.

For me it was with us both dashing, a mutant charger and I. I hit in the head with an axe with the guaranteed crit. Reports from other people indicate that simply charging a pox hound and killing it with the first hit will also do it but I can't personally confirm it. The tricky bit seems to be if the server is acting up then it registers you as outside your own charge if you attack too soon or too late.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

big cummers ONLY posted:

Do the class auras stack? I bet they don't but I want them to

the cohesion bonuses? each class' stacks with every other class', so a team of all 4 gets all 4 bonuses, but if you mean if you have 4 zealots you get 4x as much zealot bonus then no

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Floppychop posted:

Swing and kill it while your dash is active. It’s a pain but I managed it last night with a revved chain sword. Swing right before contact.

took revving and bum rushing every mutant I saw for a day or two.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

RBA Starblade posted:

Do not post Big Bardin

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Which male psyker voice is always going on about his Beloved?

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Servers are back up

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What are the beginning lyrics to the mission complete song? I can't really make out any of it so it just sounds to me like Heretic, heretic, give a little head

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Tibbeh posted:

Servers are back up

Lol so that's why there were like a hundred new posts in the past hour.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What are the beginning lyrics to the mission complete song? I can't really make out any of it so it just sounds to me like Heretic, heretic, give a little head
yep that's it you got it in one

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Stop reading my fanfics

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

bagrada posted:

Which male psyker voice is always going on about his Beloved?

Seer is the one who's pretty convinced they are in a solipsistic dream and the female is voiced by a fake Sienna.

Savant is the straight shooter and use to be a psychic cop, acting like a tour guide to the city at times.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there a clear reason not to just run a doomstack of 4 vets with bolters and power swords

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Pennsylvanian posted:

Lol so that's why there were like a hundred new posts in the past hour.

The server outage was the metaphorical Ogryn blocking our fun wanting veteran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

DeathSandwich posted:

Loner sucks. His favorite TV show would be Rick and Morty and he really wants to talk to you about it. Female loner is okay, but I've not heard many players pick her.

Female loner rules, the voice lines she has when you press F right as you're about to explode make me think maybe she's exactly the kind of insane needed to succeed in this fight.

Orv posted:

What they really need to emphasize, though I have no idea how you do so in a concise tutorial format, is that you don’t just push once, cause then the guys in the back are still gonna slap you. Learning when it’s safe to melee the horde is one of the weirder skills I think.

This is broadly not necessary as long as you're side stepping properly--which is to say than when you're fighting a horde basically all movement should be done via a dodge. I rebind dodge to shift instead of space for this kind of situation. You need to have a good feel for your weapon's cleave and stagger, but if you push or push attack then dodge left or right by the time the non-staggered enemies have finished their attack animation you'll be out of the way.