Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
  • Fiona Shaw did such a good job with her handful of scenes that after #11 it seemed kinda jarring and maybe a misstep to have her exit the show without any kind of farewell scene (I think there might have been some conversation here along those lines itt, now that I think about it.) Anyway I did not remotely predict her showing up via hologram like that but it held water for me as a device and they pulled it off, that was awesome.
  • I liked how it was comparatively easy for Andor to rescue Bix. 1) The Imperials have been there for like a month + 2) it's a fuckin hotel in a mining town + 3) they're generally super arrogant and thought they had the place under the thumb = unsurprising it wasn't decked out with security cameras on every floor etc.
  • I'm surprised and pleased they pulled off Bix's rescue as well as they did. There were a lot of ways to gently caress that up. It couldn't be too lovey-dovey, it couldn't be too depressing. I was kind of worried going in that Bix would be just utterly dusted, which could cast a pall over anything positive to come out of the finale. At the same time, you can't have her miraculously return to normalcy, it can't be too romantic, or lean too far into Dashing Hero Rescues Damsel in Distress etc. And you have to have some reason for hope without it being too dewy-eyed. It was a tricky line to thread and they nailed it.
  • I didn't bat an eye at Andor ghosting his way onto Luthen's ship. It underscored what we've been learning all season: Cassian's not just a Han Solo type fast-talking his way through jams, he's an expert thief that can do all kinds of shady poo poo. It supports Luthen's efforts to recruit him. Luthen's such a pragmatist, he wouldn't go to all that effort based on "I like the cut of that fella's jib, he'd be a swell Rebel." Andor's just a pro, and his casual break-in was cashing in on the credibility he'd established throughout the season.
  • Post-credits scene, apart from its implications and all that, was a really cool shot. On the off-chance anybody else out there is as dippy/ignorant as I am, I didn't realize until later that that final look with the Death Star symmetrically aligned center screen is a mirror of the rising arc in the opening Andor logo. Honestly how many different fuckin bullseyes can one show hit?
  • I kinda loved that hardly any of our heroes died. poo poo's plenty dark already, it was the right call not to make it to GOT-y with some arbitrary quota of [X] Important People must die per hour of runtime. I thought Brasso was d-d-done but nope. Decision worked for me because a) supported the general sense of realism, most(all?) of the deaths were rioters, not seasoned fighters w the sense to watch their asses and not go charging into the open street, and b) it's gonna make it that much more impactful when people do inevitably drop in Season 2 :(.
  • This finale was such a good example of what happens when you establish that kind of credibility. When Dedra got caught up in the crowd, I was definitely "worried" that she might get trampled or ripped apart by the mob. Worried probably isn't the right word since Dedra can gently caress right off of course; it was more like "oh poo poo we might see a fairly gruesome and remorseless exit for a main character in one of the most ignominious ways imaginable, literally stomped out by the proletariat revolution." That's only on the table as a possibility because of the groundwork laid all season.
  • Tony Gilroy's a great interview and it's been really fun reading his thoughts on all this stuff. I don't know which piece it was, but he was asked what drew him to the project in the first place and he basically said 1) scope, it's 1500 pages of screenplay he gets to work with, 2) Diego Luna, he basically says projects are often only as good as the first name on the poster and he had complete faith in Luna's capabilities, and 3) the breadth of the narrative, he's a history buff and saw this as an opportunity to do "War and Peace" in space. I never thought of it quite that way before but it's a pretty good analogy for what he's trying to do.
Finale kicked rear end, whole show kicked rear end, and I can only hope it's part of a migration for the franchise to start doing more interesting poo poo. The prospect of returning SW to full-fledged space opera after this seems pretty unappealing now that Andor has demonstrated there's so much more to explore with the right creative talent and resources. The bigger concern for me is that they'll try to replicate this while cutting corners and it won't work. A big part of Andor's appeal is that it's so clearly a(n expensive) labor of love, from the sets to the script to the soundtrack to everything in between. I'm passionately uninterested in seeing a half-assed copy of this. Disney either do it right or just go back to the laser sword wizards, but throw us a bone and make the call up front please.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think I'm pleased to be wrong as Star Wars has been a little weird about The Gays and did not need to lean into the Kill Ur Gays trope.

Something I've kinda noticed is that being black in Andor seems to up your chances of dying. His dad, both guys on Aldhani, guy in prison who got a fair bit of screentime, the informant in tonight's episode, etc. It's not a great look in an otherwise excellent show.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 23, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Something I've kinda noticed is that being black in Andor seems to up your chances of dying. His dad, both guys on Aldhani, guy in prison who got a fair bit of screentime, the informant in tonight's episode, etc. It's not a great look.

yeah uh, in a show about subverting expectations they sure brought the 80s action movie back

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
God, that transition from sad funeral dirge to jizzy march music was so tight. I rewatched it and it still gave me goosebumps

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Thundercracker posted:

God, that transition from sad funeral dirge to jizzy march music was so tight. I rewatched it and it still gave me goosebumps

It reminded me a little bit of the funeral procession scene in Live and Let Die.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
One super-minor blemish/lol: we're in a galaxy far far away and the instruments were all pretty recognizable instruments from, you know, Europe. I hesitate to even call it out because I sure didn't think it weird that Max Rebo's playing a piano and the cantina folks are rocking bagpipe things or whatever etc. but in the funeral scene we get these long detailed looks at the instruments and I gotta admit I flashed to a conversation that was had, like, "we need you to take flutes and trumpets and make them space-y, please...look I dunno, add more pipes and buttons I guess"

It totally worked but I guarantee you there were conversations about it and they probably concluded look if you're an intelligent species and you're gonna make a thing designed to make musical sounds, it's gonna have keys, it's gonna have a bell, they got it right back in medieval times, whaddaya want from us? It's like literally re-inventing the wheel: it's not weird that Star Wars has wheels, similarly un-weird that if you wanna make music, it's gonna be a very similar setup of "a metal stick where you blow in this end and push some buttons over here"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Next season opens with Mosk and Karn investigating a rebel attack and only communicating with variations of e chu ta

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

rivetz posted:

Fiona Shaw did such a good job with her handful of scenes that after #11 it seemed kinda jarring and maybe a misstep to have her exit the show without any kind of farewell scene (I think there might have been some conversation here along those lines itt, now that I think about it.) Anyway I did not remotely predict her showing up via hologram like that but it held water for me as a device and they pulled it off, that was awesome.

I just thought about how a woman that's sick and dying found the time to get dressed in her Daughters of Ferrix uniform and record that speech, and then I realized...

"She won't see the doctor."

"She's stopped taking her medicine."

Maarva loving planned her death, and everything that it was supposed to inspire.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So Blevin basically got promoted, huh? Trying to entrap a Senator seems more glamorous than supervising some Outer Rim sector

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Mameluke posted:

So Blevin basically got promoted, huh? Trying to entrap a Senator seems more glamorous than supervising some Outer Rim sector

Naw he definitely got demoted. At this point it looks like Mon Mothma is caught up in some family drama that is on the "perceived to be allowed" end of rich people lawlessness. There are like thousands of senators in the galactic empire and everyone else is busy doing cool spy poo poo to snuff out rebellion and he is talking to a limo driver about an unhappy marriage lol

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Jerkface posted:

I think the magic of Andor is definitely coming from Gilroy, and I highly doubt he is gonna make a follow up series about Andor's sister. I really wonder what he is going to get up to after Andor is done. I figure he'd want a break from Star Wars but he is clearly an effective creator. Give the man a movie!
https://collider.com/andor-tony-gilroy-interview-season-2/

quote:

It's another two years from now before I'll be done. It’s just such a supreme drag to hear people who are in the movie business and being well paid and doing what everybody wants to do… But it's a loving lot of work, man. It just never ends. Every day, it just doesn't stop. Literally, working on two dairy farms, everybody has to be milked every day. It doesn't stop. It's just simply too much to consider anything else. I can't imagine what I'll do other than curl up in a fetal position when this is over, man.

I want to live through it. We want to maintain the standard. We want to stay as obsessed. We don't want to take our foot off the gas, and we want to do something better and even more. We want to go farther if we can. I can't possibly imagine what I would do after this. I really can't. It's too hard.
:( He'll also be pushing 70 by the time this is done so he might call it a career, he talks at length across all these interviews about the volume of work and it sounds realllllly draining to do this poo poo right.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

rivetz posted:

One super-minor blemish/lol: we're in a galaxy far far away and the instruments were all pretty recognizable instruments from, you know, Europe. I hesitate to even call it out because I sure didn't think it weird that Max Rebo's playing a piano and the cantina folks are rocking bagpipe things or whatever etc. but in the funeral scene we get these long detailed looks at the instruments and I gotta admit I flashed to a conversation that was had, like, "we need you to take flutes and trumpets and make them space-y, please...look I dunno, add more pipes and buttons I guess"

It totally worked but I guarantee you there were conversations about it and they probably concluded look if you're an intelligent species and you're gonna make a thing designed to make musical sounds, it's gonna have keys, it's gonna have a bell, they got it right back in medieval times, whaddaya want from us? It's like literally re-inventing the wheel: it's not weird that Star Wars has wheels, similarly un-weird that if you wanna make music, it's gonna be a very similar setup of "a metal stick where you blow in this end and push some buttons over here"

I was guffawing at recorders with added space crap, that poo poo was hilarious.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The space fluteinets were great

E: they're basically doing the same thing to the instruments they do to the guns

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Introducing... Clarinet 2.

I'm very intrigued about what happens between Cinta and Cassian. Will she be willing to look the other way if he's all in, with Luthen vouching for him? I'm presuming he brings most of the money back, and it seems clear that multiple people had doubts about Skeen.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I want at least one of the S2 arcs to focus on Cinta just doing some black ops wet work poo poo, she needs to assassinate a moff.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Jerkface posted:

I want at least one of the S2 arcs to focus on Cinta just doing some black ops wet work poo poo, she needs to assassinate a moff.
Yeah, also the fact that her shivving the lovely spy guy was the most obvious conclusion imaginable in no way detracted from the payoff.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

rivetz posted:

Yeah, also the fact that her shivving the lovely spy guy was the most obvious conclusion imaginable in no way detracted from the payoff.

Yeah the fact that it happened with no big exchange of words or rhetorical riposte or one liner or jason bourne mui thai battle actually kind of ruled. Just "welp you cornered me and it's general mayhem anyway so your prize is I unceremoniously let the air out of you."

Reminds me of the story of Christopher Lee on the set telling George about knifing Nazis in the SAS.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

AlternateNu posted:

That was my favorite dorky moment of the whole series. Peak Karn. Barely anyone else on the transport. Absolutely no one actually paying them any mind. And Mosk just presents his hat in some grand gesture as if it's the sneakiest loving thing he's ever done. Karn swapping hat and gingerly placing it on his head with a face that screams, "Yes! We are the masters of espionage and subterfuge!"

It just occurred to me that this scene reminded me of the part in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where Indy and Elsa switch hats when going to the castle. It's just the goofiest thing, and yet these two are solemnly having a bro moment while probably thinking "Yeah, it's loving go time."

rivetz posted:

That guy was such a poo poo spy! Cinta sussed him out immediately! I cheered when she shanked him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It was obvious that the doohickeys they were building in prison were for the death star but it was still pretty cool to see it at the end there.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah the fact that it happened with no big exchange of words or rhetorical riposte or one liner or jason bourne mui thai battle actually kind of ruled. Just "welp you cornered me and it's general mayhem anyway so your prize is I unceremoniously let the air out of you."

Reminds me of the story of Christopher Lee on the set telling George about knifing Nazis in the SAS.

I don't think Cinta was trying to stay unnoticed at that point. Walking that close behind him, it seemed pretty obvious that she was gonna shank him in short order regardless.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

rivetz posted:

[*]I kinda loved that hardly any of our heroes died. poo poo's plenty dark already, it was the right call not to make it to GOT-y with some arbitrary quota of [X] Important People must die per hour of runtime. I thought Brasso was d-d-done but nope. Decision worked for me because a) supported the general sense of realism, most(all?) of the deaths were rioters, not seasoned fighters w the sense to watch their asses and not go charging into the open street, and b) it's gonna make it that much more impactful when people do inevitably drop in Season 2 :(.

Yeah, (almost) everyone getting away on the ship feels a bit like a stay of execution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WijR37B19GQ&t=72s

Owlbear Camus posted:

Pretty sure that was with Peter Jackson?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah it was when Saruman gets shanked in ROTK (extended edition, anyway)

And yeah I like how it spent most of the season establishing that basically anyone can die before letting you have a bit of relief in the finale

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Really cool to watch a series by a director who understands that your plots don't have to be twisty and unpredictable to keep the audience watching if they're just well loving executed. Expected satisfying outcomes that are consistent with narrative tones and character motivations >>>>>> trying to surprise your audience for the sake of it

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Having a confident Star Wars show runner/director is weird.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Starting around 1:08:00 into the AMCA podcast Austin starts talking about Nemik's comments in the finale, and analyzes it through the lens of various political philosophies (of which he is really knowledgeable). It's awesome. A half an hour later and they're still going into it.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 23, 2022

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

This tweet ain't far wrong - this is a serious show with serious themes and serious characters being serious, but it's a Star Wars so you also have to randomly have a man in a rubber fish costume kinda wondering about in the background. Youtube really wants me to watch some dork rambling about which characters are secret force using Jedi, and it's like holy poo poo is that not the point of this show like at all.

Creatively, I don't think this being a Star Wars show added much to it and actively detracts occasionally. But if it wasn't Star Wars, it either wouldn't have gotten made or would have had a fraction of the budget it ended up happening.

Such a good show though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

mcmagic posted:

It was obvious that the doohickeys they were building in prison were for the death star but it was still pretty cool to see it at the end there.

I was hoping they were TIE wing hubs, due to the enormous amount needed with no end in demand in sight. Eventually you finish a Death Star. The idea of the factory not only making these guys working without end but also producing something that you will never leave production is something else.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love that Mosk if actually Syril's friend. For some reason it is hilarious to me that Mosk actually likes and respects this guy.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I'm gonna read back through the rest of the thread but my first reaction is that I loved that whole thing. I just wish there was more.

Perfect end to the first season with Cassian signing on to Luthen's network. I can't believe how hard I was rooting for Dedra to get torn to pieces by that crowd. You know you've created a great villain, when.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I love that Mosk if actually Syril's friend. For some reason it is hilarious to me that Mosk actually likes and respects this guy.

He's very funny. But I was wondering about that last shot of him sitting on the ground as the riot wound down. What did he think of Maarva's words?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You could believe that at the beginning of the series, Mosk was just brown nosing Syril, but nope, he actually likes the guy. AMCA brought a really funny point that when Syril first sees Deedra on Ferrix, Mosk holds him back like "No, bro, you gotta go at the perfect time."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Slashrat posted:

I don't think Cinta was trying to stay unnoticed at that point. Walking that close behind him, it seemed pretty obvious that she was gonna shank blap him in short order regardless.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pastamania posted:

This tweet ain't far wrong - this is a serious show with serious themes and serious characters being serious, but it's a Star Wars so you also have to randomly have a man in a rubber fish costume kinda wondering about in the background. Youtube really wants me to watch some dork rambling about which characters are secret force using Jedi, and it's like holy poo poo is that not the point of this show like at all.

Creatively, I don't think this being a Star Wars show added much to it and actively detracts occasionally. But if it wasn't Star Wars, it either wouldn't have gotten made or would have had a fraction of the budget it ended up happening.

Such a good show though.

I do think it benefits from being a star wars show.

It gets to short cuts an absolute poo poo ton of world building work and allows you to play in design language that most everyone watching is going to understand.

The downside is yeah, the fanbase are largely idiots(myself included) who know very little of metaphor and are used to the blunt instruments used in this series previously.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

Really great first season, and I now feel completely vindicated in my utter hatred of the Mon Mothma plot. loving massive waste of time lmao

Nah. It is a bit awkward, but she's a necessary anchor to set the baseline of how we view Luthen. He's a mastermind of the Rebellion, but he isn't some kind of anti-Palpatine guy poised to end up in charge. Her presence on screen is a reminder that Luthen is ultimately working to elevate her.

e: I also agree that this show is extremely reliant on being Star Wars. At no point does any episode concern itself with the question 'what happens next?'. It's not important because we already know the ending: Andor dies, Mothma becomes leader of the Rebel Alliance, Luke does his thing. I think because the audience knows all this the show gets away with skipping bits of the narrative that would otherwise cause suspension of disbelief, and instead gets to focus entirely on the journey each character is on and the moments when they change or compromise or assert themselves.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 24, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Sure but to take this premise and run with it, imagine watching a political drama set in 2018 and knowing that as the main characters are arguing about the geneva convention with the secretary of defense, just offscreen president Donald Trump is typing an all-caps rant about cheeseburgers on twitter

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
"Kill me or take me in"

What a great fuckin finale.

And lmao at the stinger at the end.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Sure but to take this premise and run with it, imagine watching a political drama set in 2018 and knowing that as the main characters are arguing about the geneva convention with the secretary of defense, just offscreen president Donald Trump is typing an all-caps rant about cheeseburgers on twitter

This is just the Imperial Agent campaign in SWTOR

Alchenar posted:

Nah. It is a bit awkward, but she's a necessary anchor to set the baseline of how we view Luthen. He's a mastermind of the Rebellion, but he isn't some kind of anti-Palpatine guy poised to end up in charge. Her presence on screen is a reminder that Luthen is ultimately working to elevate her.

e:I also agree that this show is extremely reliant on being Star Wars. At no point does any episode concern itself with the question 'what happens next?'. It's not important because we already know the ending: Andor dies, Mothma becomes leader of the Rebel Alliance, Luke does his thing. I think because the audience knows all this the show gets away with skipping bits of the narrative that would otherwise cause suspension of disbelief, and instead gets to focus entirely on the journey each character is on and the moments when they change or compromise or assert themselves.

I also think it provides a good contrast to the hardscrabble workers and spies on the front lines to occasionally cut away to the elite of society

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

She never blaps anyone but the Mothma stuff is still great. I enjoyed her tradecraft feeding bullshit to her plant driver and spicing it up by futility asking for privacy.

Even if I were to concede it was the weakest running character thread in Andor, it's miles above 80% of Star Wars media when we put it up against like fukkin round head faking his own death by letting Reva stab him through the torso for no reason but to surprise the audience later, or the garbage pacing of the BoBF setpiece droid battle with over the top fanservice rancor rodeo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
it is so weird, because Andor's story is the one I'm least interested in on this show.

The Mon Stuff is fascinating to me as it's showing a part of star wars, that they have never like dug down into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Thinking about it, I feel like the Empire forces' desire to bring Andor out into the open/trap him with the funeral played a notable part in them letting that message go on for that long. I feel like the sheer stun factor that she's saying this stuff and not wanting to kick off a riot would get it most of the way there, but Andor being in play was that extra spice that let it go on all the way to the full "rise up and throw off your oppressors" part of the message.

I was also thinking to myself "God I hope he smacks some Imperials with Maarva's brick" and then he totally did, that was rad.