Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oscarthewilde posted:

I mean, they clearly based 'the real' chris pine on jordan peterson and portrayed harry styles as an insanely overexaggerated version of a jordan peterson fan, bordering on an incel. it was to the detriment of the movie as a whole, and especially to its underlying moral, and it's a great example of liberal media not understanding that the jordan peterson fans and the incels aren't just pitiful greasy looking ugly losers but also 'normal' people, but to a certain extent it was a (bad) movie about incels.

it will never stop being weird how i a broke brained internet weirdo neither knows nor cares who jordan peterson is or what he does but every few months some big name in the cultural production industry feels the need to parody him as if he were the single most relevant celebrity of our era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the best recent portrayal of weird lonely guys getting into far right politics is clearly Andor

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

it will never stop being weird how i a broke brained internet weirdo neither knows nor cares who jordan peterson is or what he does but every few months some big name in the cultural production industry feels the need to parody him as if he were the single most relevant celebrity of our era

he gets an outsized amount of attention for sure but 12 rules has sold over 5 million copies, he’s not really as much of a fringe figure as you’d hope

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
5 million copies is a lot of books but it's a rounding error of young/adult English speaking men in North America and Europe

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i first encountered this insane fucker when i read about how he was a big influence on the guitar player for Gang of Four. RIP legend. also he played the mute executioner on Game of Thrones. watch this video and try to figure out wtf he is doing. take some speed first, get you in the mood.

https://twitter.com/electricalWSOP/status/1595418632934367233?s=20&t=rRXD8rT7exaXDtAiboRSqA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
he seems to be playing guitar OP

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

is it actually? matt christman has dogshit opinions about media but he made it sound kinda bad and i was kinda like ehh after watching a trailer

that is i dont expect hollywood to do a john brown justice

It's been pretty good so far, although you shouldn't go in expecting a documentary ofc. Something I didn't like at first is that Brown being super religious is often the comedic relief but after thinking about it for a while there is something really comical about him being a true believer vs the "true believers" of our day. If you are a true believer you would probably live exactly like Brown did.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pretty much if you think this painting of John Brown is sick (it is), then you will enjoy the series.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Pretty much if you think this painting of John Brown is sick (it is), then you will enjoy the series.

I watched the first half at a friend's the other day and thought it was really good. John Brown is a total lunatic but he's also right.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Badactura posted:

is a total lunatic but he's also right.

an ethos this forum tries to capture

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

finished THE VOW season 2/finale last night and again there was a lot that was depraved and horrifying but some unintentional comedy too........ the scenes of keith's band of hanger on freaks strategizing on how to prove his innocence was p hilarious (tho tinged with pity), doing interviews thinking they can get a sympathetic angle on him and repeatedly being shut down, a rolling stone/TNR journo telling them she'd only be interested in a story on them rebuilding their lives from the wreckage, the scene of them trying to contact the prosecutor and judge and saying "we don't want to sound threatening".... just lmao

also nancy put on a good show but idk you prob did a lot of heinous poo poo lady and you can be sad about it, but i don't think you should get off scott free

i wonder if keith will start a cult in prison tho

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Xaris posted:

is it actually? matt christman has dogshit opinions about media but he made it sound kinda bad and i was kinda like ehh after watching a trailer

that is i dont expect hollywood to do a john brown justice

It's very good overall with a few particular great episodes. The book is better of course but it's a solid adaptation.

The dry boys are generally great at media and political analysis but surprisingly pretty bad with art. Pobodys nerfect!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I can't wait for it to be found out that all of them are horrible humans, to be more specific

Finally the podcasters will pay for their crimes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

incredible take

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Got woke, went broke. Folks the seasons have been getting colder for thousands of years. It's just part of the world's natural cycles not some "white walker" commie bullshit

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

Finally the podcasters will pay for their crimes
For the high crimes against film criticism the sentence is death.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dragon lady bad

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Jazerus posted:

dragon lady bad

not if you vote for her

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Like objective "power" was even a thing by the end of that show

Ramsay Snow and a few picked men could wipe out any army the script called for offscreen

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
GoT chat is making me want to want to watch some movies/shows that set up revolutionary struggle where victory is a little power transfer or something that doesn't effect meaningful systemic change. To be mad about later. Any suggestions?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

oh, it's bargain brand the boys

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Oh hell yes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

R. Mute posted:

oh, it's bargain brand the boys

its nothing like the boys at all

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Empire State posted:

GoT chat is making me want to want to watch some movies/shows that set up revolutionary struggle where victory is a little power transfer or something that doesn't effect meaningful systemic change. To be mad about later. Any suggestions?

come and see :smugdon:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i dunno, i saw off kilter superheroes, i saw a scruffy anglo-ish fella giving briefings

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Probably a stupid question but - if I liked DC's other "loser superhero" shows like Peacemaker and Harley Quinn, will this scratch the same itch?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's crazy a show has had four season on hbo and i've never heard of it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

R. Mute posted:

i dunno, i saw off kilter superheroes, i saw a scruffy anglo-ish fella giving briefings

Doom patrol's whole thing is off kitler superheroes and villains. One of the heroes in the show is quite literally a street. The anglo guy is just a magician they sometimes team up with.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Probably a stupid question but - if I liked DC's other "loser superhero" shows like Peacemaker and Harley Quinn, will this scratch the same itch?

It's a fun show although the plotline that carries over from season 2 -> 3 is very thin presumably because of covid.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Empire State posted:

Hunger Games plays with this idea

Star Wars sort of ended up being this as well

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Has anyone who's watched Doom Patrol also read any of the comics? I'm curious if any of the stuff from the Grant Morrison run gets tapped for the show. I know what I really want is to watch a show version of The Invisibles, but this might do me enough good for now

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Empire State posted:

have you heard of a little series of movies called star wars???

e: gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm worried that andor will be super cynical in the finale

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

im saint germain posted:

Has anyone who's watched Doom Patrol also read any of the comics? I'm curious if any of the stuff from the Grant Morrison run gets tapped for the show. I know what I really want is to watch a show version of The Invisibles, but this might do me enough good for now

The entire show is ripped from Grant Morrison's version of doom patrol,. although obviously they change up a lot of the backstories and stuff to make it more watchable.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Empire State posted:

Not only does Lord of the Rings preserve several monarchies, the indigenous elves are forced to flee their native land to settle in America.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Empire State posted:

more seriously tho, these aren't ~revolutionary victories~ but they are along those lines:

Z
the Carlos movies/miniseries
maybe Harlan County USA and/or Matewan?
not revolutionary, but the Show Me A Hero miniseries on HBO is good

i think you're also describing the Matrix

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

more seriously tho, these aren't ~revolutionary victories~ but they are along those lines:

maybe Harlan County USA

oooooooooof

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

goddamn that made me sad lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Z rocks, check it out. It's based on a true story about the assassination of a leftwing anti nuclear politician in Greece.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

leftwing anti nuclear politician

ah, a silesian coal magnate

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Boys isn't just more superhero schlock, it's left wing political satire wrapped in a cape and cloaked with sex and violence

The writing is great and the acting is fantastic. Homelander is both a psychopathic, unstoppable ubermensch and despicably pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
new episode of andor pretty good