Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Sash! posted:

One of the rumors I've long heard was if Penn State had lost to Michigan State in 2004, that was the end of the line. It would have been back to back 3-9 seasons. It is one thing to have high expectations, but if you're an all time top ten team, that's unacceptable. It isn't firing a guy over a 7-5 year.

I mean, they tried to fire him and he literally said no I think I'll stay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

The Huskies have extended Kalen DeBoer until 2028. Massive win for the program.

For sure. I think he’s great! Need UW to be good for the neo-PAC-12 to be relevant at all.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Just woke up from a nightmare where Vandy beat Tennessee

:ohdear:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Soul Glo posted:

life goes on

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ehud posted:

life goes on

if you can even call it that, i guess

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Soul Glo posted:

The prophecy has spoken

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Soul Glo posted:

If this happens it will turn a season that looked to be one our best since the early 2000’s into a nightmare to me. I’m not that worried about it, but if this team has already quit and Milton sucks, not only is Vandy a concern but so is next year. To me this is a must win game.

I mean this could be 2016 all over again (under Jones we beat UGA and UF, but lose to South Carolina and Vandy).

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

nate fisher posted:

If this happens it will turn a season that looked to be one our best since the early 2000’s into a nightmare to me. I’m not that worried about it, but if this team has already quit and Milton sucks, not only is Vandy a concern but so is next year. To me this is a must win game.

I mean this could be 2016 all over again (under Jones we beat UGA and UF, but lose to South Carolina and Vandy).

I know y'all laid an egg last week, but are there really worries UT is quitting on the year?

Some bluebloods would be very happy to be 9-2 right now

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Spacemonkey57 posted:

He can’t fire him he reports to the AD. Kirk’s hands are really tied

Wait, what? Iowa has to make a change soon. The whole of the Big Ten West won't stay down for long. Illinois is trending up and Wisconsin has the resources to bounce back. Iowa can't coast through on defense alone.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/bcfremeau/status/1595155670013206529?s=20

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

So I guess the committee isn’t even thinking about giving Coastal the G5’s NY6 bid this year, even if the AAC champ has three losses.

The only chance Coastal has is for Houston to beat Tulsa (likely) and USF to beat UCF (not loving likely), have 4-loss Houston win the AAC title, and not have the committee just go with Houston or the default Boise State option. Those guys btw are gonna run the table in a very bad Mountain West.

This all by the way is vanishingly unlikely. UCF is going to beat the brakes off USF, firebomb Tampa, and make USF sign a humiliating peace treaty to end the War on I-4. UCF will need Tulsa to beat Houston, otherwise next week's title game is a rematch of Cincinnati-Tulane on Friday.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Komet posted:

Wait, what? Iowa has to make a change soon. The whole of the Big Ten West won't stay down for long. Illinois is trending up and Wisconsin has the resources to bounce back. Iowa can't coast through on defense alone.

To avoid violating Iowa's anti-nepotism laws Brian doesn't report to Kirk. He reports to the AD. So technically Kirk can't fire him.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kirk is taking Iowa to the logical conclusion of the saying "defense wins championships". He's still working on that last bit, but I'm m sure it'll happen anyway now. It'll be like the invention of the forward pass, only completely the opposite because now there's no passing. No running. The ball has disappeared. The sport is simply called foot. No one knows what is happening on the field. Maybe both teams are just meditating, maybe it's a psychic battle. Maybe they're just having a group hug. Time is meaningless, the only break is to wave at the tower. Now the players are digging trench works at the 35 and RG3 is trying to make a joke about it, but he can't. No one can.

I'm not sure where I was going with this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dirty shrimp money posted:

The only chance Coastal has is for Houston to beat Tulsa (likely) and USF to beat UCF (not loving likely), have 4-loss Houston win the AAC title, and not have the committee just go with Houston or the default Boise State option. Those guys btw are gonna run the table in a very bad Mountain West.

This all by the way is vanishingly unlikely. UCF is going to beat the brakes off USF, firebomb Tampa, and make USF sign a humiliating peace treaty to end the War on I-4. UCF will need Tulsa to beat Houston, otherwise next week's title game is a rematch of Cincinnati-Tulane on Friday.

So if Cincy beats Tulane on Friday, there is a 3-way tie for 2nd that Tulane wins the tiebreaker for?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Milton isn’t going to be as good as Hooker was to go ahead and set that expectation. I cannot imagine this team has quit because of one game, they still have a lot to play for. I think the offense will be just fine, though. Milton’s style of play is completely different to Hooker and I hope they lean on that.

The defense though…do we get the one that played USC or Kentucky?

e: it’s supposed to be 50s with an 80% chance of rain so that might work in our favor if neither team can throw.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 23, 2022

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

So if Cincy beats Tulane on Friday, there is a 3-way tie for 2nd that Tulane wins the tiebreaker for?

If Houston beats Tulsa the 3-way tiebreaker actually is CFP ranking. Houston has four losses, so it comes down to whether the committee values Tulane more for having lost to ranked Cincy, or UCF winning.

If Tulsa beats Houston, UCF is in as they beat Tulane.

If Tulane beats Cincy, UCF is in as they beat Cincinnati.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 23, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Komet posted:

The entire division structure is going away soon so all these mediocre West teams are going to be in a bad place since they can't backdoor a CG appearance anynore

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I really think the Big Ten needs to do something about the divisions for next year, even if it's only one year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If it’s only a year I don’t see why it’s a pressing issue unless you’re a fan of a Big Ten East team that’s not Ohio State or Michigan. The pay is the same for the CCG whether it’s good or bad.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Komet posted:

I really think the Big Ten needs to do something about the divisions for next year, even if it's only one year.

Well, the schedules are already set so there really is no point. It's going to be really interesting to see what they come up with once USC and UCLA join in 2024. I still think some more conference realignment will happen between now and then.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I need everyone in here to root for Troy to lose, because I’ll be at the USA game and won’t have the psychic energy to spare

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

this is generous, bet the under

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Michigan-MSU tunnel incident resulted in charges! 7 MSU players.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2022/11/23/michigan-michigan-state-tunnel-fight-charges-filed-7-spartans/69674415007/

quote:

Khary Crump:One count of felonious assault, in violation of MCL 750.82, a felony
Itayvion Brown: One count of aggravated assault, in violation of MCL 750.81a, a misdemeanor
Angelo Grose: One count of aggravated assault, in violation of MCL 750.81a, a misdemeanor
Justin White: One count of aggravated assault, in violation of MCL 750.81a, a misdemeanor
Brandon Wright: One count of aggravated assault, in violation of MCL 750.81a, a misdemeanor
Zion Young: One count of aggravated assault, in violation of MCL 750.81a, a misdemeanor
Jacoby Windmon: One count of assault & battery, in violation of MCL 750.81, a misdemeanor

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
A loving felony?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Depending on who you ask it’s already done.

I can’t see it, Puskar’s money’s long gone but maybe there’s a new rich crypto guy or something?
Crypto is turning into a ponzi scheme* and Miami has experience with a Ponzi scheme guy coming in and throwing money around, it did not go well with Nevin Shapiro.

* being revealed as a Ponzi scheme all along?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

soggybagel posted:

A loving felony?

It means he beat the guy with something other than his fists.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah I know. I've said before but I think this was a mistake to get law enforcement involved but we'll see how this continues to play out.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I’m just angry that this bush league regional rivalry is now going to feature in all the rivalry week listicles

Cuz Harvey Updyke ain’t walking through that door

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

soggybagel posted:

Yeah I know. I've said before but I think this was a mistake to get law enforcement involved but we'll see how this continues to play out.

A mistake in what sense?

augias
Apr 7, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Why is it a mistake to involve the law when there is a physical assault like this one? Is it not illegal in michigan to gang up on somebody and beat them up? Asking for a friend.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The U.S. justice system is particularly cruel toward young black men, hth

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Thats true sorry for looking at it in a vacuum. Ill assume thats what OP meant

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Henchman of Santa posted:

This argument is the closest I can come to thinking it was a mistake to involve the law in this case. However, these are legitimate violent crimes caught on camera. You can't do that poo poo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If we're going by the NHL wheel of punishment was the dude hurt more than he already was?

I didn't read up on the aftermath.

e: obviously this is not a good way to look at things or it wouldn't be a years old meme.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Henchman of Santa posted:

We should probably consider the treatment of football players, who usually seem to have institutional support working for their benefit.

These guys were acting as a mob and clubbing a dude with a helmet.

Also, numbers (kind of interesting/depressing):
https://www.ussc.gov/research/research-reports/demographic-differences-sentencing

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Grittybeard posted:

If we're going by the NHL wheel of punishment was the dude hurt more than he already was?

I didn't read up on the aftermath.

McBurrows was the injured player that got mob-stomped and I haven't seen much about his injury status, as Michigan is hyper-silent when it comes to injuries.

The second player hurt by the helmet-whipping MSU guy was Gemon Green, a defensive starter. He got hosed up pretty hard with a concussion that made him miss a game and he was only semi-active in the game after that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

If it’s only a year I don’t see why it’s a pressing issue unless you’re a fan of a Big Ten East team that’s not Ohio State or Michigan. The pay is the same for the CCG whether it’s good or bad.

I'd say it matters for Michigan too.

If you took the top two regardless of division, Michigan goes in 2011 (depending on tie breakers), 2012, and 2018.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Seaniqua posted:

This argument is the closest I can come to thinking it was a mistake to involve the law in this case. However, these are legitimate violent crimes caught on camera. You can't do that poo poo.

it’s still lovely imo. wish there were more reasonable ways to resolve it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

You can’t take off your helmet and beat someone but also these men are literally trained to violently beat each other on the field for money so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Presumably law enforcement is involved because the victims wanted them involved. Is the argument that the DA should decline to pursue the case against the victims wishes even though it clearly meets the definition of assault, or that the victim is being a pussy and needs to rub some dirt on it and move on?

LeeMajors posted:

You can’t take off your helmet and beat someone but also these men are literally trained to violently beat each other on the field for money so :shrug:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect people to be able to separate the violence inherent in their profession from general unsanctioned violence, otherwise I owe apologies to a lot of police and military.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 24, 2022