Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

credburn posted:

What franchise has had the most titles that are the exact same title as the original? Has any of them done it more than twice? How many sequels use the same title for a sequel that isn't a remake/reboot?

The Thing trilogy, maybe?

There's the 2011 film, The Thing.
The 1982 film, The Thing, which is its chronological sequel.
The 2002 Playstation 2 game, The Thing, canonically the third entry in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Texas chainsaw massacre has 3 films called the Texas chainsaw massacre and 2 video games called the Texas chain massacre.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Although I guess they should really just be called a Texas chain saw massacre

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If historically sequels didn't have numbers then why do they use Roman numerals?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Should have just named its Gods of War and then you can start counting all over again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And not a single piece of the franchise has a Chainsaw being Massacred, talk about lies in advertising.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What if they're all about the same texas chainsaw massacre from different perspectives, like back to the future 2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey, I'll have you know that video games beat film in terms of ingenuity in this race.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

...FUUUUUU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Hey, I'll have you know that video games beat film in terms of ingenuity in this race.

I mean, say what you will about sports games, but at least they let you know which year they cover.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well now I'm just mad that God of War 2018 does not actually take place in 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THat would be fun, gently caress with alphabetising systems by naming your sequels in such a way the order of the products in the list completely scramble, just to piss off people with them in the collection.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BioEnchanted posted:

THat would be fun, gently caress with alphabetising systems by naming your sequels in such a way the order of the products in the list completely scramble, just to piss off people with them in the collection.

The dark knight's got you covered!! :downs:

edit: The trademark being in a different place almost every time makes me more upset, funnily enough

Borderlands as well!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Nov 23, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Tiny Tina Decimal System

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Those were released in:
- 2004*
- 2014 on mobile, 2016 on PC
- a pre-order bonus for 2012 originally, later it came with the game

So basically the modern trilogy is screwing things up here, but luckily you can tell them apart through the magic of ALL CAPS

*Contracts is also the name of a game-mode first featured in 2012

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Nov 23, 2022

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Anno's got this thing figured out. Just name all your games with a random-rear end number but make sure that the digital root is always 9

Veotax
May 16, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The dark knight's got you covered!! :downs:

edit: The trademark being in a different place almost every time makes me more upset, funnily enough

Borderlands as well!

Hey, other than Blackgate being at the end, the Arkham games are in order of release, so that's good for me! The GOTY versions make it messy, but just hide the non-GOTY versions I guess.
Borderlands is a mess though. And the games are out of order in Steam! :v:

Stuff like this is laziness on the part of the developer/publisher though, IMO. I'm pretty sure that when you release a game on Steam there is a 'sort order' or whatever field on the publisher's side. You can make it sort however you want, rather than just in alphabetical order.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

So what you're saying is, next time they reboot it, it'll be called HITMAN TWENTY THIRTY FIVE and take place in 1997

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CJacobs posted:

So what you're saying is, next time they reboot it, it'll be called HITMAN TWENTY THIRTY FIVE

No, no, no...

Hitmen.

Or maybe 47 will pass the baton and become a handler instead of the agent. Hitman Manager. Hitmanager.

Or some kind of engineered retrovirus will suddenly make him really old. Hitman: Ager.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Nov 23, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I bought the 'new' Tombs Raider games in a bundle and already had the old games in my Steam account, went to look them up a bit later and didn't know what the gently caress

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I don’t have a screenshot, but Tom Clancy games also fall into the same boat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Halloween (1978)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween 4 (1988)
Halloween 5 (1989)
Halloween: Curse/666 (1996)

Halloween (1978)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween: H20 (1998)
Halloween: Resurrection (2002)

Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2018)
Halloween Kills (2021)
Halloween Ends (2022)

Halloween (2007)
Halloween II (2009)

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

Pretty sure I got that right.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Just call it Dad of Boy to more accurately reflect the contents.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I meant games, specifically, but yeah Halloween has two sets of three movies with the same title and that's wild.

The Worms franchise has a ton of titles and only two are sequential before everything goes to poo poo

Worms (1995)
Worms 2 (1997)
Worms Armageddon (1999)
Worms World Party (2001)
Worms 3D (2003)
Worms Forts: Under Siege (2004)
Worms 4: Mayhem (2005)
Worms (2007)
Worms: A Space Oddity (2008)
Worms 2: Armageddon (2009)
Worms Reloaded (2010)
Worms Ultimate Mayhem (2011)
Worms Revolution (2012)
Worms Clan Wars (2013)
Worms Battlegrounds (2014)
Worms W.M.D (2016)

My favorite Worms game was just the first one. We played the demo all summer long and for Christmas I got the game. I didn't like the art style in any of the followups and they just leaned harder into it :\

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Nov 23, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I defy anyone to correctly order the Divinity series in order based on the titles alone.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

exquisite tea posted:

I defy anyone to correctly order the Divinity series in order based on the titles alone.

Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity

Divinity II: Ego Draconis, later rereleased as Divinity II The Dragon Knight Saga and Divinity II Director's Cut

DIVINITY DRAGON COMMANDER (this game rules)

Divinity Original Sin
Divinity Original Sin 2

That's the release order but I think in terms of setting history, Dragon Commander comes first followed by the Original Sin games?

Anyway Divinity Dragon Commander is very funny and weird, it's like one of those Total War games where there's a strategic map where you have to go into an RTS map to fight battles, and you research units in-between.

Except also you do stuff like make political decisions to do stuff like keep the Goblins on your side and not piss off the conservative Undead and whatnot.
Oh and also it's DRAGON COMMANDER because you can turn into a dragon, which means at any point in RTS combat you can suddenly instead stop just commanding troops and instead go dragon-mode and start flaming enemy units.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity

Divinity II: Ego Draconis, later rereleased as Divinity II The Dragon Knight Saga and Divinity II Director's Cut

Divinity Original Sin
Divinity Original Sin 2

That's the release order but I think in terms of setting history, Dragon Commander comes first followed by the Original Sin games?

Anyway Divinity Dragon Commander is very funny and weird, it's like one of those Total War games where there's a strategic map where you have to go into an RTS map to fight battles, and you research units in-between.

Except also you do stuff like make political decisions to do stuff like keep the Goblins on your side and not piss off the conservative Undead and whatnot.
Oh and also it's DRAGON COMMANDER because you can turn into a dragon, which means at any point in RTS combat you can suddenly instead stop just commanding troops and instead go dragon-mode and start flaming enemy units.

Dragon commander is so weird in the best way

I really need to play through that game again

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The "Database" section in the Mega Man Legacy Collection cracks me up.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

bewilderment posted:

Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity

Divinity Original Sin
Divinity Original Sin 2

It's also a dating sim! You marry a wife for political purposes! Except the goblin wife. She blew herself up before you got to meet her.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

bewilderment posted:

I liked Dragon Commander, but always felt like I was doing something wrong. The RTS battles always devolved into "Turn into a dragon and do all the fighting because the troops died too quickly".

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

HenryEx posted:

Anno's got this thing figured out. Just name all your games with a random-rear end number but make sure that the digital root is always 9

Thought for a second you meant Anno Hideki and thought about numbering for the versions of the Eva movies being like patch notes.
Evangelion 1.0
Evangelion 1.01
Evangelion 1.11
Evangelion 2.0
Evangelion 2.22
Evangelion 3.0
Evangelion 3.33
Evangelion 3.333
Evangelion 3.0+1.0
Evangelion 3.0+1.01, including Evangelion 3.0 (-120min)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I mean at least no game series has gotten as ridiculous as The Fast & The Furious with it's titles.

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious
Fast Five
Fast & Furious 6
Furious 7
The Fate of the Furious
F9
Fast X

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

EDIT: Also Better Luck Tomorrow is officially part of the franchise so yeah.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Joey Freshwater posted:

GOW: Ragnarok: people complain about it but I’m loving the humor in this game. Particularly one convo with Mimir and Kratos:

Its referencing that god awful Battle Royale game that Sony put out that had Kratos in it. I assume “history’s greatest musician” is PaRappa the Rapper

...funny thing is that could almost also describe the time he was in Mortal Kombat.

Wasn't he also in Soul Calibur?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...funny thing is that could almost also describe the time he was in Mortal Kombat.

Yup.

He was also in Fortnite and Shovel Knight!

EDIT: gently caress, all of those could apply to characters and crossovers in Fortnite too. :thunk:

Vandar has a new favorite as of 08:39 on Nov 24, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In a PSP-exclusive game, yes. Although Soul Calibur lacks an undead (and only technically has an automaton), and both lack a musician.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cleretic posted:

In a PSP-exclusive game, yes. Although Soul Calibur lacks an undead (and only technically has an automaton), and both lack a musician.

Does Cervantes not count as an undead? And didn't Raphael and Amy become vampires?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vandar posted:

Does Cervantes not count as an undead? And didn't Raphael and Amy become vampires?

Oop, you're right, forgot Cervantes. Raphael and Amy are kinda 'maybe' on the undead front, though, they're not quite vampires in a way that'd say they're undead.

You'd still be looking at Astaroth as an automaton, though, which is a little iffy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Vandar posted:

Yup.

He was also in Fortnite and Shovel Knight!

EDIT: gently caress, all of those could apply to characters and crossovers in Fortnite too. :thunk:

Fortnite(tm) truly is the Game for every Gamer

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was momentarily sad when it was time my small idiot son Fuecoco to evolve but I felt better once I saw he just became my larger idiot son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

I was momentarily sad when it was time my small idiot son Fuecoco to evolve but I felt better once I saw he just became my larger idiot son.

He gets a hat!