Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

tangy yet delightful posted:

Can y'all tell me what's the deal with Age of Sigmar Dominion boxed set? Seeing the LGS has it for $60 for black Friday and wondering if that's a deal worth getting.

I would buy that immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Rule book alone is something like 40$

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

They made a ton of boxes like indomitus but it didn't sell much and they're trying to get rid of stock

my LGS still has five copies

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Update, I read the listing wrong and it's black Friday weekend not week. So I'll try again on Friday :)

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Warning: the Christmas boxes for Stormcast and Kruleboyz are great complements to their respective half of Dominion. Maybe find someone else to share Dominion and get one of those boxes and you already have a very nice 2k+ points army.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Talas posted:

Warning: the Christmas boxes for Stormcast and Kruleboyz are great complements to their respective half of Dominion. Maybe find someone else to share Dominion and get one of those boxes and you already have a very nice 2k+ points army.

Cool great I'm looking forward to oopsing my way into an entire 2K army.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They made a ton of boxes like indomitus but it didn't sell much and they're trying to get rid of stock

my LGS still has five copies

It wasn't really a box you'd have a reason to buy multiples of, unfortunately.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Especially when the big centerpiece model of it is a named character, yeah. No one ever needs a second Yndrasta.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

Especially when the big centerpiece model of it is a named character, yeah. No one ever needs a second Yndrasta.
Yeah, I made a kitbashed Lord Celestant with my second Yndrasta. I also sold some of her parts and a friend made a kick-rear end Sigvald with her wings.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
One really important model in the Stormcast half is the Lord-Imperatant who is basically required if you ever want to run Annihilators and is only available in Dominion and the Extremis and Harbinger starter sets. He's a much better deal in the Dominion box.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Talas posted:

Yeah, I made a kitbashed Lord Celestant with my second Yndrasta. I also sold some of her parts and a friend made a kick-rear end Sigvald with her wings.
You can't say that and not post your Lord Celestant

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If I could get my hands on another pair of her wings and one of the bodyguards from the Saint Celestine set I would totally make a Saint Sabbatine kitbash.

Even if I still need to paint up the Yndrasta I got a while back when 3rd ed came out. :v:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Are the Aether War or Arena of Shades boxes worth picking up? My FLGS has them on sale for Black Friday.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Man none of my local game stores offer black friday deals on GW products.

Something loving has to be going on here.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mine had 20% on rattlecans and some of the big boxes, among some other stuff.
But I ended up grabbing a new MechStandard Grey can just because I probably needed one before long.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lucinice posted:

Man none of my local game stores offer black friday deals on GW products.

Something loving has to be going on here.

GW has sent notice to stockists that their wholesale costs are going up 5.8% while recommended product price remains the same, in an attempt to draw more traffic to GW's direct sales. That may or may not be impacting things. The store near my parent's house had 20% prior to Black Friday, which was nice, but it was in store and in stock stuff only, no pre-order.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Both Element Games and Darksphere have a bunch of Black Friday deals for anyone in the UK. The latter is kinda underwhelming though but EG has (or had when I checked last night) some good stuff on offer.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

GW has sent notice to stockists that their wholesale costs are going up 5.8% while recommended product price remains the same, in an attempt to draw more traffic to GW's direct sales. That may or may not be impacting things. The store near my parent's house had 20% prior to Black Friday, which was nice, but it was in store and in stock stuff only, no pre-order.

For fucks sake GW why do you have to make games I want to play?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

From what I've seen this might be UK (or maybe Europe?) only to account for for weakened pound.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Froghammer posted:

You can't say that and not post your Lord Celestant
Here she is:

Sorry for the bad picture, it's a little hard when the mini is kind of dark. She is mostly for Path to Glory with the normal Lord-Celestant rules altered to fit the spear, shield, and the Thunderstrike keyword. I used the Anvil of Apotheosis rules to fix her points to 150 and the other players were cool with it.

I covered her lack of wings with a Vindictor back and some green stuff, I also changed her spear a little, gave her one of the old Celestial Warbringers shields, and her head is from the Forge World set.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

S.J. posted:

From what I've seen this might be UK (or maybe Europe?) only to account for for weakened pound.

The person I heard it from, "Discourse Miniatures", is from the UK, so that may be the case. I find her hard to watch though so I didn't make it through most of the video.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The person I heard it from, "Discourse Miniatures", is from the UK, so that may be the case. I find her hard to watch though so I didn't make it through most of the video.

Yeah, I had heard some of that through my channels at work, and it seems to be UK only from what I can tell. No NA stores were reporting anything like that that I could find, and I certainly had received no communication from my rep of anything of the sort.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Havent hear anything like that here in poland so it really might be UK thing. Also I don't trust Discourse any more than spikey bitz as source of information

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 26, 2022

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
After ten thousand years, I'm freeI've updated the OPs a bit! If there's anything significantly wrong in there or the faction roundups, please let me know. Hopefully the overviews are generic enough that they cover how the factions play in a broad enough sense - I don't want to get overly cutesey or detailed with them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ended up picking up the new StD box set and two StD start collecting boxes on a black friday sale. The Daemon Prince is such a great model and its modularity is crazy.

It is a little infuriating though that I cant use the app to build lists until GW releases the book separately though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Ended up picking up the new StD box set and two StD start collecting boxes on a black friday sale. The Daemon Prince is such a great model and its modularity is crazy.

It is a little infuriating though that I cant use the app to build lists until GW releases the book separately though.

I like the Start Collecting set but I don't know what I would do with 2 Karakadrak Lords. I am actually pretty hero heavy StD wise with the Demon Prince and K. Lord. I also picked up an Archaeon because the model was sweet and I got it for about 100 bucks because of the pound being in the toilet. He is like 800 points though, so don't think I will ever take him. He can live on a shelf forever with Mortarian and pall around.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I like the Start Collecting set but I don't know what I would do with 2 Karakadrak Lords. I am actually pretty hero heavy StD wise with the Demon Prince and K. Lord. I also picked up an Archaeon because the model was sweet and I got it for about 100 bucks because of the pound being in the toilet. He is like 800 points though, so don't think I will ever take him. He can live on a shelf forever with Mortarian and pall around.

The second Karakakakakakadrak lord was mostly a bonus, my plan for StD battleline is two min units of Chaos Knights and a reinforced unit of Nurgle Chaos Warriors with the special banner which is exactly covered by two SC boxes. Unfortunately the box doesn't come with any of the command models so I had to order some Chaos Warrior and Knight banners off a UK bitz shop on ebay to get them properly set up. Luckily people online say its pretty easy to stick them on since they have the plate armored hand attached already and all you need to do is clip off their glove and glue these in place.

Been reading through the tome a little bit as well and there are two fun pieces of lore in it:

1. Apparently the StD consider the Chaos Gods to be True/Elemental Gods as opposed to the ascended mortals of the Order pantheon but weirdly enough they ALSO consider Gorkamorka to be a True/Elemental God.

quote:

The Chaos tribes do not revere the Pantheon of Order, nor any of the ascended deities from the World-that-Was, but instead pay their dues to far older and more eldritch forces. Perhaps they are right to do so, for there is a wide gulf between the new gods and the old.

The ascended gods from the World Before Time are not true, elemental gods such as Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch or Slaanesh, nor even Gorkamorka, if the truth be known. The latter are beings that have no true physical form, and instead wield their might through manifestations such as daemons or avatars in the material world. These elemental gods are true, immortal deities that are timeless. Their presence can be felt in every realm at once, not being bound by any kind of physical law, and they inhabit many realities rather than one. The Chaos Gods are arguable the most potent of all, so old and powerful they even have vast swathes of the hellish Realm of Chaos made in their image.

wonder how this squares with the stories of Sigmar and Gorkamorka fighting, also I wonder if that means that something like the Bad Moon is an avatar of Gorkamorka? either way some interesting ideas related to the cosmology of the setting

2. Be'lakor is straight up plotting a coup against Archaon. This one doesn't require a quote but the book outright states that Be'lakor has been maneuvering people loyal to him into positions of power in Archaon's armies (including Eternus who is a former Varanguard who has brought the entire 8th circle of the Varanguard under Be'lakor's control, also he is an immortal who has a corrupted form of Stormcast immortality created by Be'lakor from trapped Stormcast spirits who couldn't return to Azyr). Personally I always liked Be'lakor more than Archaos because Chaos Starscream is cool and I'd love to see where this goes.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I'm a long-time 40k player who's admired Age of Sigmar for a while now, and I actually spend most of my tabletop time playing Warhammer Underworlds, with an eye toward Warcry. I want to work on a full AoS army, but am having a really hard time deciding which one to go with. I'm hoping for some guidance. I've read all the Goonhammer articles and other sites with the faction overviews.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of the model building and painting side of the hobby, and while I don't want to have a faction that is fighting with an arm tied behind its back, I don't care too much about being the most competitive either. I want to work toward a balanced general army list, rather than chasing meta builds. I'd prefer an army that's fairly straightforward to collect rather than having a dizzying array of options and different load-outs for units.

I do already have the Dominion box, plus some more Stormcast halves of starter boxes and some of the limited characters. But I've realized I'm not that excited about Stormcast or Kruleboyz, and I'd be OK to sell on what I've got instead. I also have every Warhammer Underworlds warband if anything there helps fill out an army. And I have an unbuilt set of the old Island of Blood starter from the end of Warhammer Fantasy that has Skaven and High Elves.

The four factions that grab me the most from a lore and aesthetic standpoint are Skaven, Soulblight Gravelords, Cities of Sigmar, and Seraphon. In 40k, I play Space Wolves, Leagues of Votann, and Genestealer Cults, if that helps somehow.

Thanks!

Muir fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 30, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

1. Apparently the StD consider the Chaos Gods to be True/Elemental Gods as opposed to the ascended mortals of the Order pantheon but weirdly enough they ALSO consider Gorkamorka to be a True/Elemental God.

wonder how this squares with the stories of Sigmar and Gorkamorka fighting, also I wonder if that means that something like the Bad Moon is an avatar of Gorkamorka? either way some interesting ideas related to the cosmology of the setting

It would probably be an avatar, because as mentioned he does not have a true body. The Bad Moon, the Gulping God, and a few other things are stated as being Aspects of Gorkamorka.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Muir posted:

The four factions that grab me the most from a lore and aesthetic standpoint are Skaven, Soulblight Gravelords, Cities of Sigmar, and Seraphon. In 40k, I play Space Wolves, Leagues of Votann, and Genestealer Cults, if that helps somehow.

Skaven recently got new book with is average and no new models.

Seraphon are strong faction but again very few new minis so you will be playing with ancient stuff from days of yore

Cities of Sigmar are very likely to get revamp next year so I would hold of with them

Soulblight got massive range update at the end of second edition and their book is still solid. You do get a lot of freedom when building an army and just changing dynasty changes compsition and the way it plays

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

Did anyone else enter their local GW's Armies on Parade?

I ended up doing up a board for the Gargants posted earlier in the thread:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

Did anyone else enter their local GW's Armies on Parade?

I ended up doing up a board for the Gargants posted earlier in the thread:

lol holy poo poo are those like the titans of the fantasy world how is anyone supposed to be able to fight those

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Al-Saqr posted:

lol holy poo poo are those like the titans of the fantasy world how is anyone supposed to be able to fight those

They’re on par with Knights in theory. Each one has a big pile of wounds and hits like a train. However, they also have a large pile of weaknesses, most notably a general lack of defense against MWs. They’re kind of a gatekeeper army competitively - you aren’t going to place highly unless you can kill one per round.

E: also, while they have some ability to get past tarpits, it’s limited, because a big enough tarpit can basically lock them out of doing so by not giving them anywhere to move to within range.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 30, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

They’re on par with Knights in theory. Each one has a big pile of wounds and hits like a train. However, they also have a large pile of weaknesses, most notably a general lack of defense against MWs. They’re kind of a gatekeeper army competitively - you aren’t going to place highly unless you can kill one per round.

E: also, while they have some ability to get past tarpits, it’s limited, because a big enough tarpit can basically lock them out of doing so by not giving them anywhere to move to within range.

This has slightly changed. You can now weaken their ability to capture objectives with damage.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
the lil khorne symbols on the new giants make me want to slurp up a big bowl of Chaos Soup

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Skaven recently got new book with is average and no new models.

Seraphon are strong faction but again very few new minis so you will be playing with ancient stuff from days of yore

Cities of Sigmar are very likely to get revamp next year so I would hold of with them

Soulblight got massive range update at the end of second edition and their book is still solid. You do get a lot of freedom when building an army and just changing dynasty changes compsition and the way it plays

This is very helpful, thanks! I'm a bit tempted on the Skaven side given what I already have from Island of Blood and how good a deal the new Battleforce seems to be. But I do appreciate how nice all the new models are, and Soulblight's new models look great. I guess if I'm going to paint a horde it would be more fun to paint a horde of new sculpts. Given the amount of time that goes into assembling and painting, it's probably a false savings to pick an army based on models I have around instead of what I'm absolutely most excited about. And I think the feel and flavor of Soulblight is really cool and would be fun to paint, and different from other stuff I've done. Maybe I'll see if any local stores have last year's battleforce still around.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The nice thing about Gravelords is that you can go all in on a horde of 120 zombies, make it a more elite army with Blood Knights and some of the big centerpiece models, or anything in between. It's a really flexible book that will let you build an army that suits your particular play style.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

About the one thing it can’t do is oops all skeletons.

Skeletons require vampire support, my girlfriend tried an all skeleton thing for Path to Glory and it was just not good in any respect.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Well, I found a store online that had two copies left of the 2021 Soulblight Gravelords Battleforce at retail, and ordered one! Now to list all my other stuff on eBay. Thanks again for the advice and inspiration!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Rules for AoS of the new Warcry warbands:

Hunters of Huanchi (Chameleon skinks + Terrawings): https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/rGc7Mm5gQUUXTL9o.pdf
Jade Obelisk (Tzeentch cultists): https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/2HxQxI8INdwIxmYj.pdf