Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i'm not seeing the hog thing against tanks. Zarya and Dva both nullify his hook easily, he can't just walk up to you and delete you without getting shot at (and likely anti'd by an ana player). Sigma and Rein basically don't have to care about him at all and orisa has fortify.

If anything, he's got decent value in loving up dumbass dps who don't respect the range/can't count his cooldown. poo poo, i might try him out some more tonight and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Haven't played in a few days. Fire up a comp match and get instantly steamrolled on a Push map.

Tank: 1500 damage, DPS: <800 damage each, Supports: 1500 damage, 4000 Healing.

Maybe not playing the game was the correct idea after all.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Maybe not postin would be even better? :fuckoff:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Widow theory holds--the better I personally shoot with Widow, the worse my actual game goes. Had a match where I landed 80% of my shots, led every player in damage and elims, and my team still lost in the final minute. Soul crushing.

In more positive news, I finally discovered you can reset the basketball, so now I am learning how to score with every character from the table before I move to either the second table or the rack.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Issaries posted:

Maybe not postin would be even better? :fuckoff:

I paid the :10bux: and I'm gonna use all of the :10bux:.

There's the Ignore button if you don't like it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jack Trades posted:

I paid the :10bux: and I'm gonna use all of the :10bux:.

There's the Ignore button if you don't like it.

The amount of hate-posting you contribute to this thread is pretty impressive, won't lie. Lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

teagone posted:

The amount of hate-posting you contribute to this thread is pretty impressive, won't lie. Lol.

I'll stop bitching about this game's problems once they fix them.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Jack Trades posted:

I'll stop bitching about this game's problems once they fix them.

It's six years, and I can still be hit through walls sometimes with Reinhardt's ult. Not the cart, walls. Solid walls.

Ages ago, I got hit when I was inside the plane on Gibraltar.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

i don't think you'll be happy with this game until they make a mode with ai teammates where you always win

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dynamite Dog posted:

i don't think you'll be happy with this game until they make a mode with ai teammates where you always win

Stop pointing out why Unreal Tournament was so good.

I dunno. Personally, I just want variety. I don't want the game locked into a badly conceived class system with exactly the same comps, but if it has to be, I would rather that be a fluid system, so at least each future season feels different.

With so many characters, more games should feel unique, and currently, Overwatch fails to meet that standard.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dynamite Dog posted:

I was perfectly content with how the game worked in OW1.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Stop pointing out why Unreal Tournament was so good.

I dunno. Personally, I just want variety. I don't want the game locked into a badly conceived class system with exactly the same comps, but if it has to be, I would rather that be a fluid system, so at least each future season feels different.

With so many characters, more games should feel unique, and currently, Overwatch fails to meet that standard.

that was to jt not you

they very clearly decided they didn't want uniqueness by removing dps doomfist. they want it to be a valorant style shooter with abilities. calling that a bug or something they should fix is not recognizing the situation and you'll never be happy with the outcome

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dynamite Dog posted:

that was to jt not you

I'm aware, but I also had an opinion.

As for the other bit, well, it'll adapt or I'll grow bored. In a way, they've been adapting, it's just every time they do, I like the game a little less than the previous iteration. So far I dig OW2, but we will see if it follows the OW1 pattern, where I was convinced the Devs had never even once had a conversation with a human person.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Played a great game on kings row with an enemy widow who knew her stuff. I gotta say, something about a competent enemy sniper really turns the arena into a battlefield. Here you are, a winged medic with only a pistol for protection, and around every corner lurks death. You have to be absolutely sure of your angles, the snipers position, and know that with every flight could end in disaster.

Every early rez is like Enemy at the Gates. Junkrat goes down behind the point 1 statue on defense, that leaves just a wide enough opening to get your head blown off on the attempt. gently caress it, I'm Mercy bitch!

Wait for that trail before the SWOOP! Oh no! Mash that res button and pray you don't get booped out of cover!

And if you want to know, yes I dumped a Valkyrie to roll up on her, and no, it did not work.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dynamite Dog posted:

that was to jt not you

they very clearly decided they didn't want uniqueness by removing dps doomfist. they want it to be a valorant style shooter with abilities. calling that a bug or something they should fix is not recognizing the situation and you'll never be happy with the outcome

this game is not remotely like valorant

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
gamers compare Overwatch to an fps that isn't valorant or CoD challenge

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I'll stop comparing it to CoD once they stop turning every role into DPS.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Countblanc posted:

this game is not remotely like valorant

this was true for ow1, but i think it's untrue for ow2 and it will continue to be made more apparent

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

at the end of the day, OW2's current awkwardness is a direct consequence of OW1 having a largely unfocused design that led to a whole bunch of systemic problems and a hero release philosophy that didn't reach much beyond "what if there was a hamster ball.... with a hamster inside???" as a guiding principle

you can't really unring the bell of the heroes already released without serious outcry, so there's necessarily gonna be a lot of square pegs being forced into round holes until the corners get shaved off over time and patch cycles

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So what gun do y'all like to use as Rhine? I like the Pump shotgun because you'll be up close most of the time anyway.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Vermain posted:

at the end of the day, OW2's current awkwardness is a direct consequence of OW1 having a largely unfocused design that led to a whole bunch of systemic problems and a hero release philosophy that didn't reach much beyond "what if there was a hamster ball.... with a hamster inside???" as a guiding principle
Varied (or unfocused) hero pool is the best part of the Overwatch.

There are enough McShooters with McSoldiers to fill a bucket for those who prefer that.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Vermain posted:

you can't really unring the bell of the heroes already released without serious outcry, so there's necessarily gonna be a lot of square pegs being forced into round holes until the corners get shaved off over time and patch cycles

Hammond is so much fun to play, I will not hear him slandered.

FR tho, the problems with the game rest heavily with the fact that tanks are super buffed, meaning that variance in their skill affects the team balance far greater than anyone else. This is compounded by players who have no idea how to play tanks playing them anyway because of how powerful they are.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
valorant is a paint drying simulator the comparison is deeply unfair

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

dogstile posted:

Yeah i'm not seeing the hog thing against tanks. Zarya and Dva both nullify his hook easily, he can't just walk up to you and delete you without getting shot at (and likely anti'd by an ana player). Sigma and Rein basically don't have to care about him at all and orisa has fortify.

If anything, he's got decent value in loving up dumbass dps who don't respect the range/can't count his cooldown. poo poo, i might try him out some more tonight and see.

you have to play a patient hog. I understand there are few of these, but he has the tools to outperform most other tanks. Orisa and Sigma most easily counter him, yeah. Zarya's bubbles becoming less efficient in two ways means she has trouble keeping uptime against the barrage of his shots and his hook. it's easier, especially with team shooting, to just break her bubble and then hook her or other vulnerable targets

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
when you see a hog or any other tank in your game it's probably b/c that person plays that hero and is rated to play in that game against that rank's typical meta at ~50% win rate

if a hog main picks winston having never played winston theyre probably going to feed even though winston is great

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

comedyblissoption posted:

valorant is a paint drying simulator the comparison is deeply unfair

I wouldn’t post but I can’t stand for this valorant slander, it’s much better than OW2. OW1 was better but they murdered it lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Valorant was fun for a few weeks when it first came out, but then I realized I could just be playing CSGO instead, which is the better game but I have no desire to go back to the king of the tac shooter genre so I just stopped playing and went back to fighting games and OW for my PvP itch lol.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Countblanc posted:

Fine, it's like shatterline deathmatch.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I respect what they are trying but the balance is way too off for a 5v5 format. Like, that’s league, cs and valorant levels of tight balance and blizzard isn’t even in the ballpark. In the handful of matches of OW2, anecdotally, it was mirror matches in most cases with a couple differences.

I don’t think it’s impossible to make OW2 balanced but they have a ton of work and they didn’t do it before it launched, it’s all so strange.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you have to play a patient hog. I understand there are few of these, but he has the tools to outperform most other tanks. Orisa and Sigma most easily counter him, yeah. Zarya's bubbles becoming less efficient in two ways means she has trouble keeping uptime against the barrage of his shots and his hook. it's easier, especially with team shooting, to just break her bubble and then hook her or other vulnerable targets

Oh I mean, I get it, Hog was the first tank I got to GM back in the day, I just think everyone else got massively buffed compared to him and he's been left behind. We'll see though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There definitely seems to be a way that smart Hogs are able to hook you even with the defensive matrix up

Dynamite Dog posted:

I feel like at least one or two of your teammates in training are AI if you play at weird hours.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If I had to pick a "weakest after Doomfist" tank, it'd probably be DVa, right now. Which is sad, because she's one of my better characters, but she's crazy vulnerable if the enemy focuses her even a little. Defense Matrix has to go down sometimes, and something like, say, Hanzo's storm arrows will just melt her instantly, and then he can pop her when she ejects from the mech.

She can still be very, very good, but it feels like she needs to try, whereas most other tanks just sort of live their tank lives.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My buddies (supports) and I (tank) got rolled in a half dozen competitive games the other night. We individually did fine, but our DPS teammates had fewer elims and less damage than all three of us every single game which made it hard to, uh, win. What do you even do when your DPS teammates don't, you know, do damage?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Veryslightlymad posted:

If I had to pick a "weakest after Doomfist" tank, it'd probably be DVa, right now. Which is sad, because she's one of my better characters, but she's crazy vulnerable if the enemy focuses her even a little. Defense Matrix has to go down sometimes, and something like, say, Hanzo's storm arrows will just melt her instantly, and then he can pop her when she ejects from the mech.

She can still be very, very good, but it feels like she needs to try, whereas most other tanks just sort of live their tank lives.

I'm surprised how much that slight change to spread seems to have done but it definitely seems harder to stay in effective range without stepping into the teeth of the enemies attacks now. But I'm also not a very good player so that doesn't help.

Personally I find the hamster to be the character of least effect although I'm sure that's just not knowing how to use them to do anything other than jam a point for a few seconds.

Speaking of surprise I'm surprised how well the queen works sometimes. I wish I had better game sense to know when those times were but I definitely occasionally stumble into her helping to swing a loss into a win.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I much prefer the gameplay and pace of OW2 over 1 because it actually feels like a shooter game again and not a MOBA, but there's obviously still some unresolved issues carried over from OW1 that should be addressed, like critical hit damage/1shot potential, lack of information/guidance ingame to help you stay with your team, and some individual characters (like Ball) don't mesh well with the 5v5 single tank format.

It also doesn't help that the game hasn't even gone a week without a major bug affecting one or more characters, so it also just feels janky right now with Tracer's insane range and Pharah gaining ults 50% faster, and Sojourn working as intended. All the alternative game modes allowing open queue also feels bad because it's just all tanks all day.

That is all to say I still prefer this over shooting shields all day

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rick posted:

Speaking of surprise I'm surprised how well the queen works sometimes. I wish I had better game sense to know when those times were but I definitely occasionally stumble into her helping to swing a loss into a win.

She's the only tank I have had any success with in competitive this season. My biggest problem is teammates refusing to engage, and she's really good at insisting that things become violent. It's really a triumph of flavor. Plus her ult might seem uninspiring at first, but it's actually insanely good. Embrace your queen.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lord Packinham posted:

I respect what they are trying but the balance is way too off for a 5v5 format. Like, that’s league, cs and valorant levels of tight balance and blizzard isn’t even in the ballpark. In the handful of matches of OW2, anecdotally, it was mirror matches in most cases with a couple differences.

I don’t think it’s impossible to make OW2 balanced but they have a ton of work and they didn’t do it before it launched, it’s all so strange.

The biggest issue (aside from Blizzard devs sitting there stroking their neckbeards while looking at spreadsheets numbers some data scientist they hired put out to base their balance decisions on) based on the fundamental principles of the game's design is the hero pool is just too small. It's small enough that the top meta is always going to be a really small subset of heroes that out perform the rest at the highest level.

Most of these 5v5 games, Valorant excluded because it's newer and different, have like 4 times as many picks as OW, so there is so much more variety. More characters have unique playstyles, more counter other characters, more synergize well with others. It would probably require new characters to be released at an unreasonable rate (like one/month) for at least a couple years in order to remedy this problem, with how much slacking they did after Ashe and Echo. If they had actually released a new hero each quarter throughout the lifespan of OW1, the game would be in a much better place now, albeit still miles away from something like League or Dota. I don't think a hybrid shooter/MOBA actually needs 100+ characters TBH, but if the game suddenly had 50 or 60 picks, and 1 or 2 heroes from each role were randomly banned every game +1 person on each team at random got to ban a hero of choice, the game would suddenly feel a lot more diverse, even if the dev team continued to slack and make excuses for slow balance patches. Yes, we hear you, we KNOW Soujorn needs to be nerfed. The mainframe that we use to make game balance adjustments needs to charge electricity for approximately 38.4 more days before it can boot up again.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Vermain posted:

My main problem with the heroes is nothing at all to do with how they play, but how they all feel like soulless shells as characters. Like whoever wrote them either didn't understand how people act or were kept to very harsh limits on what they could express and do so as not to offend anyone, ever.

Which I realize is probably completely ignored by 99 percent of players who just want to capture points and shoot stuff. But even TF2 had distinct and funny characters with memorable scenes way beyond a game like this with a bigger budget and greater need to compete.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
getting to the point in ranked supp where Moira isnt the end all beat all bandaid healer and im legit psyched to get better at the other supps not named lucio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Game still has its moments

I had to go back and check the replay to see how the hell we won.