Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

My second complaint The death of Telsin was done poorly. Was 'defeated' her, but then Harmony just yanks her connection with Autonomy and she just keels over and dies a little later. It really needed more of Wax's direct involvement, like he should have at least shot her once her connection was pulled instead of just letting her fade out. Its not even clear at the time that she's dying, Wax just leaves.

i didn't really get the explanation there, is it just that as an Avatar she was able to basically run her human body into the ground (not sleeping, etc) and continue subsisting on all the energy the Shard gave her? it's just not something I think we've seen in these books before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Proteus Jones posted:

No way. Having Wax kill his sister would be cruel. Dude has had enough suffering in his life. Plus, of course he's going to just leave. The mission is what's important, not his making sure his sister dies.

TLM So was his plan to just come back and arrest her and hope Autonomy doesn't reinvest her in the future? You've got a villian who wanted to nuke a city to help her take over the world. Wax even spends half the book building up to having to kill her with all his internal monologues about how she's always been a bit cruel and has now gone way to far into outright evil.

eke out posted:

i didn't really get the explanation there, is it just that as an Avatar she was able to basically run her human body into the ground (not sleeping, etc) and continue subsisting on all the energy the Shard gave her? it's just not something I think we've seen in these books before

This vagueness probably influenced my opinion as well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

TLM So was his plan to just come back and arrest her and hope Autonomy doesn't reinvest her in the future? You've got a villian who wanted to nuke a city to help her take over the world. Wax even spends half the book building up to having to kill her with all his internal monologues about how she's always been a bit cruel and has now gone way to far into outright evil.

This vagueness probably influenced my opinion as well.

yeah, i honestly think there's a meta explanation which is that Brandon doesn't want to actually introduce a new magic system at that point and would prefer to keep the specifics of what Autonomy can grant you and how it works extremely open.

like, she got extra health, somehow, and they say she got some level of future sight/big picture planning ability/cognitive enhancement/whoknowswhat. but in a Sanderson book that's incredibly vague compared to everything else

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Is it possible that (TLM spoilers obviously) Telsin’s death satisfied the ruin part of Harmony being able to intervene there at all, and he causes it actively? We get an inner monologue from ostensibly Autonomy but ruin was always pretty good at that himself.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

More TLM spoilers:

It was VERY well established in the book that Autonomy is ruthless to those who fail her. Given that Telain’s death is completely different from any other death we’ve seen in the cosmere, I think it’s fine to conclude that her death was at Automomy’s hand, regardless of whether Autonomy directly killed her or whether her death was from Autonomy’s withdrawal.

I don’t see any need for Wax to have shot her. He was hyper focused on stopping the bomb, and knew he had beaten his sister. I don’t see any way, given what we now know of Autonomy’s nature, that Telsin would have been given power again. And I think Wax knew that too

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tunicate posted:

Kelsier knows Sazed is lying because Sazed turned Spook into a mistborn already

I thought there was a bead or two of Lerasium lying around still, or the fact that when he was moving the planet around he had some extra hanging around and turning a misting into a full mistborn wouldn't have been hard. At the time it was just a one time thing, but it's been a while since I read that book.
The Lord Ruler managed to make mistwraiths out of some Terrisman, and managed to alter the genetics of Skaa and Nobles to some extent while using it so there's no reason Sazed couldn't have done the same to Spook when he held the power and moved the planet around.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

seaborgium posted:

I thought there was a bead or two of Lerasium lying around still, or the fact that when he was moving the planet around he had some extra hanging around and turning a misting into a full mistborn wouldn't have been hard. At the time it was just a one time thing, but it's been a while since I read that book.
The Lord Ruler managed to make mistwraiths out of some Terrisman, and managed to alter the genetics of Skaa and Nobles to some extent while using it so there's no reason Sazed couldn't have done the same to Spook when he held the power and moved the planet around.

my recollection is that yes Spook became a mistborn when Harmony was playing with a ton of power immediately after ascending. It wasn't necessarily done via burning Lerasium and in any case, certainly wasn't done as a result of splitting Harmonium into Lerasium and Atium, especially as there was no Trellium around at the time. There may not have even been much Harmonium present during the Ascension, depending on how it forms

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
TLM and some Warbreaker spoilers

Harmony directly made spook into a mistborn and he even mentioned he wasn't like a lerasium created mistborn, which was strong as hell, but more like what people who would've been born as mistborn at the time would have been like. He obviously could create mistborn but I think his dual nature is working against him now.

As for the book, I was sad to see we didn't get mistborn Wax. I was really hoping with the implications from the explosion and later coughing. Kept waiting for it all through the book and instead he just spiked himself with duralumin. I thought it was confirmed earlier on when he reached for a vial while in air and in flight, he wasn't able to reach it, but it snapped into his hand. I was sure he had iron pulled the vial into his hand then but didn't realize it himself because of being in a fight.

Also feels like Harmony and Kelsier are doing the not saying everything they could to each other. Or at least Harmony is being annoyingly vague, feels like he could've tried to explain things better and in more detail to Kelsier.

Also I had previously thought Scadrial was perhaps the most advanced planet in the cosmere at the time. I also wonder what the men in red and gold where. For some reason my mind went to lifeless troops, like Kalad's Phantoms. The colors of red and gold by the way where Lightsongs colors in Warbreaker. I don't know that there's any actual connection there, but I thought it was interesting.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 21, 2022

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

His Divine Shadow posted:

TLM and some Warbreaker spoilers

As for the book, I was sad to see we didn't get mistborn Wax. I was really hoping with the implications from the explosion and later coughing. Kept waiting for it all through the book and instead he just spiked himself with duralumin. I thought it was confirmed earlier on when he reached for a vial while in air and in flight, he wasn't able to reach it, but it snapped into his hand. I was sure he had iron pulled the vial into his hand then but didn't realize it himself because of being in a fight.

Also feels like Harmony and Kelsier are doing the not saying everything they could to each other. Or at least Harmony is being annoyingly vague, feels like he could've tried to explain things better and in more detail to Kelsier.

Also I had previously thought Scadrial was perhaps the most advanced planet in the cosmere at the time. I also wonder what the men in red and gold where. For some reason my mind went to lifeless troops, like Kalad's Phantoms. The colors of red and gold by the way where Lightsongs colors in Warbreaker. I don't know that there's any actual connection there, but I thought it was interesting.

He was definitely burning pewter when he was punching the not-Wax, that dude was getting hurt a lot more than it just being the first time he'd been punched in the face. There were a couple other instances like that where he was burning metals instinctively like Vin did before she knew she was a Mistborn.

And maybe someone stole the Lifeless army from Nalthis. I think Vasher said he hid them somewhere after he used them at the end of Warbreaker, maybe he dropped them in Shadesmar or something like that and they got stolen.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

TLM/Warbreaker spoilers: Chapter 71 in the audiobook, when Harmony is directly talking to Wayne after Wayne pushes Wax off the boat, Harmony says:
1. Wax did something different
2. Wax may have inhaled some of the dust already
3. Harmony doesn't know what Wax did different to create Lerasium instead of just an explosion

I think it's highly likely that Wax is a mistborn, between the coughing, the falling vial, the punching, and Harmony calling it out. You could write off the other stuff as luck and the mists coming to Wax's aid, but I mean, its Sanderson, he loves rule of cool and hinting at things. I'm not sure how that would matter since we're done with era 2, unless my other theory about it affecting his kids is true.

I think Harmony is telling Wayne the truth here, as his limitations/Discord wouldn't care about telling a soon to be dead man the secrets of recreating the most powerful and dangerous metal. Unlike with Kelsier who has the means to replicate the experiment if he suspects anything.

I want to think the men of red and gold are robots, but you just slap a coat of paint on the lifeless and bam, men of red and gold.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Ugh I haven't read this thread for weeks now since I'm finishing up Project Hail Mary (phenomenal) and am moving right to TLM as soon as I finish today but wanted to ask if there's a good site that sums up era #2 before I hit it up. I remember MOST things but I've read something like 7 books between finishing book #6 and TLM so I'm afraid I'm gonna overlook some important things.

Also, completed the BackerKit survey and went all in on everything except the Kaladin/Szeth statue.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.tor.com/2022/11/01/mistborn-era-2-everything-you-need-to-know-before-reading-the-last-metal/comment-page-1/

Tor has a good pre-TLM recap

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
You can also check out the book pages on the coppermind.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Great, thank you both!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, coppermind has the nice 'time machine' feature where they let you browse the wiki as it was the day before release

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
TLM spoilers again: The "not-Wax" and "not-Wayne" are referred to as having been "created" to oppose our heroes. Thinking more about it, it really seems outlandishly improbable that the Set would be able to find people who:
a) had somewhat-corresponding exaggerated personality types to Wax and Wayne,
b) were willing to give up their whole lives for several years for the sole and explicit purpose of getting into a couple of fights with as-yet unbeatable dudes
c) were willing to work with and risk their lives for a secret criminal organization, and
d) were willing to get spikes containing other people's souls driven into their bodies by said secret criminal organization.

And like, what was the in-universe point of them? Was "the heroes, but kinda stronger and stupider and with way less of the relevant experience, skill, and knowledge" really the best solution the Set could come up with? I know that the Bizarro trope is a classic in superhero stories, and for a reason. But it felt pretty of out of place and gimmicky to me in this story.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think we will give you superpowers if you train to kill this guy, and if you succeed, you will be well paid and god will give you extra benefits is an offer that there is no shortage of takers for.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I just finished BoM again. Quite frankly, it's been the only Era 2 book I've really enjoyed. I hope TLM lives up to the hype it ended on.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
TLM secondary character spoiler: I've now seen elsewhere online that Moonlight was Shai, and... what? Are there some pretty major clues I missed somehow, or are people really doing that solely off of "is a female Forger"? Because Shai would have all her self-changing Essence Marks (and the ultra martial artist one would have come in handy), she wouldn't be so amateur as to forge a mark where she wouldn't know if she'd remember her true self afterwards, and I'm pretty goddamn sure the timeline in no way lines up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

TLM secondary character spoiler: I've now seen elsewhere online that Moonlight was Shai, and... what? Are there some pretty major clues I missed somehow, or are people really doing that solely off of "is a female Forger"? Because Shai would have all her self-changing Essence Marks (and the ultra martial artist one would have come in handy), she wouldn't be so amateur as to forge a mark where she wouldn't know if she'd remember her true self afterwards, and I'm pretty goddamn sure the timeline in no way lines up.

Her name is shai, but with the elantrian pronunciation when she transforms. I'm guessing she had some issues with bringing her magic to scadrial, explaining her relative level of unpreparedness

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I just finished BoM again. Quite frankly, it's been the only Era 2 book I've really enjoyed. I hope TLM lives up to the hype it ended on.

I really liked it. Provided a good wrap up to era 2, but more importantly showed interesting character growth and highlighted the fact that the main cast has changed and evolved based on their earlier adventures and relationships with each other. Answered some Cosmere questions while introducing others. Seems like these are tough things for many multi-part series to nail down, but I think Sando did a good job. Wax and Wayne are right up there with Vin and Kelsier for me now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Paddyo posted:

I really liked it. Provided a good wrap up to era 2, but more importantly showed interesting character growth and highlighted the fact that the main cast has changed and evolved based on their earlier adventures and relationships with each other. Answered some Cosmere questions while introducing others. Seems like these are tough things for many multi-part series to nail down, but I think Sando did a good job. Wax and Wayne are right up there with Vin and Kelsier for me now.

I am enjoying it so far. Just started Part 2. The timeskip makes sense and apart from Moonlight dropping some of the most blatant exposition I've ever heard, I've found everything both interesting on a story level and comp9elling on a character level. Really wanna see where everybody ends up. I didn't dislike Books 1 and 2, just didn't get hooked like I did in BoM. Now I'm even more invested in seeing the end of our heroes' journeys.

I remember years ago people guessed Trell was Autonomy. Dunno how but they did.

Hemalurgy is repeatedly said to basically be cutting off a bit of a person's soul and grafting it onto yourself to gain their powers. Now, in a lot of Fantasy stories, messing with souls is the ultimate crime. Killing somebody sucks yeah but at least their essence gets to "go on" to wherever. How, if at all, does Hemalurgy impact Cosmere mechanics? Does it hurt a person's spiritual aspect and prevent them from undergoing the usual journey and peace everybody else gets?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NikkolasKing posted:

I am enjoying it so far. Just started Part 2. The timeskip makes sense and apart from Moonlight dropping some of the most blatant exposition I've ever heard, I've found everything both interesting on a story level and comp9elling on a character level. Really wanna see where everybody ends up. I didn't dislike Books 1 and 2, just didn't get hooked like I did in BoM. Now I'm even more invested in seeing the end of our heroes' journeys.

I remember years ago people guessed Trell was Autonomy. Dunno how but they did.

Hemalurgy is repeatedly said to basically be cutting off a bit of a person's soul and grafting it onto yourself to gain their powers. Now, in a lot of Fantasy stories, messing with souls is the ultimate crime. Killing somebody sucks yeah but at least their essence gets to "go on" to wherever. How, if at all, does Hemalurgy impact Cosmere mechanics? Does it hurt a person's spiritual aspect and prevent them from undergoing the usual journey and peace everybody else gets?

Based on Warbreaker, it doesn't really do significant harm to them. Drabs, i.e. people who give away their one Breath, are a bit less healthy than non-Drabs, but that's about the extent of the disadvantages of giving away a small piece of your soul does to you. So skimming a bit of the allomantic potential of a Scadrian should be quite comparable. It's obviously not a painless procedure, and doing it to unwilling participants is a big moral no-no (and poor people letting themself get spiked for money is a huge can of worms), but it's not the ultimate crime as it is in other series.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tunicate posted:

Her name is shai, but with the elantrian pronunciation when she transforms. I'm guessing she had some issues with bringing her magic to scadrial, explaining her relative level of unpreparedness
Ugh if that's not a coincidence. Literally the first thing I thought when Moonlight was all "I only have two all-purpose stamps and one that'll work on me but I don't know what'll happen if I use it" was that it made me appreciate Shai more, because that was amateur hour crap that she would have never countenanced. Shai is quite capable of carving a stamp where she still remembers her core identity! We've seen her do it and use one!

Also, what's with the "oh gosh I might stay an Eltantrian forever" thing in general? One of the hardest rules we know for Forging is that no soul forge lasts more than 24 hours; after that, you've got to be restamped or it wears off. Even Shai's forget-everything stamp included a reason to keep stamping herself.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I wonder if a Forged person who is strongly connected with the Dor would need the power reimprinted each day.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Something I'm glad Sanderson seems to have dropped is the idea of "snapping" or "being broken" as a requirement for special abilities. It makes certain events from TSA backstory sound perfectly good and rational if suffering and near death situations bring out magical powers.

So far as I know, Wax and Wayne can just do their thing, no need to nearly die for it. The idea was also really stupid considering there were hundreds of Radiants once upon a time. You can't build a military order by hoping your recruits get hosed up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Something I'm glad Sanderson seems to have dropped is the idea of "snapping" or "being broken" as a requirement for special abilities. It makes certain events from TSA backstory sound perfectly good and rational if suffering and near death situations bring out magical powers.

So far as I know, Wax and Wayne can just do their thing, no need to nearly die for it. The idea was also really stupid considering there were hundreds of Radiants once upon a time. You can't build a military order by hoping your recruits get hosed up.

From what I understand, in stormlight it's still there, but as something that makes things easier but isn't required. In mistborn it got changed because god didn't like it.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I honestly cringe every time a Stormlight character says something about being "broken," it's such YA teenage drama nonsense. There are better, more descriptive, less emo ways of expressing, "I have some trauma."

That said, as a person who struggles with depression and anxiety, the idea that people with trauma or emotional issues are more suited to having superpowers bestowed upon them is kinda nice.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Potato Salad posted:

I wonder if a Forged person who is strongly connected with the Dor would need the power reimprinted each day.

This is what I'm thinking too. That would give them a direct investiture tap separate from the stamping.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Finished the book yesterday at work (it was a REALLY slow day).

I really enjoyed it! I was worried about pacing after Rhythm of War but had no issues with the pacing in this book.

Now I need my local library to get the physical hardcover version of the Spanish translation. I've bought all the books in digital and English, but somehow won all the other Mistborn books last year in an Instagram giveaway so I need it to complete the collection (well I also need to buy the hardcover version of Final Empire because that one was in paperback)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Adnor posted:

Finished the book yesterday at work (it was a REALLY slow day).

I really enjoyed it! I was worried about pacing after Rhythm of War but had no issues with the pacing in this book.

Now I need my local library to get the physical hardcover version of the Spanish translation. I've bought all the books in digital and English, but somehow won all the other Mistborn books last year in an Instagram giveaway so I need it to complete the collection (well I also need to buy the hardcover version of Final Empire because that one was in paperback)

Why is all that cover art so good

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

mewse posted:

Why is all that cover art so good

I find the Bands of Mourning art really funny. What's with Wax's pose, and that guy aiming his guns at nothing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Adnor posted:

I find the Bands of Mourning art really funny. What's with Wax's pose, and that guy aiming his guns at nothing.

Ok.. it took me a bit to see it but it is a bit Johnny Fiveaces

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mewse posted:

Ok.. it took me a bit to see it but it is a bit Johnny Fiveaces

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Finished the lost metal. No spoiler review: I thought the first half was a bit slow and didn't contribute too much to the overall story, but it really home in the second half.

Very half baked spoiler review: there was lot of cool cosmere stuff packed into this book, but all I can think about is the death of Wayne. I didn't expect it, my first thought was that all the focus on Wayne would end with him taking up a shard, either Whimsy as others mentioned, or even Harmony with all the issues mentioned about Sazed in this book. His death caught me really off guard and hit me way harder than I expected. I really really liked the book, and I'm very very sad about Wayne's death. On one hand I'm glad that Sanderson went all the way and killed a beloved character, on the other hand I hate it because Wayne was one of my favorite characters in all the Sanderson books. His arc throughout the series and especially this final book was done incredibly well. What an awesome final move for him.

Also, Steris (sp? i listen to the audiobook) is incredibly badass and was even moreso in this book. I love her

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sanderson better not fucken touch Lopen

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Do you have Steris in your house?
Wax: I am protected.

Sorry, I think I just had a stroke.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Do you have Steris in your house?
Wax: I am protected.

Sorry, I think I just had a stroke.

:perfect:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Finished TLM.

So when exactly is this happening in relation to Stormlight 1-5? I thought TSA happened later.

Now actaul spoilers
I figured someone had to die but it really did hit me with Wayne. It was really well done and definitely solidified him as my favorite Era 2 protagonist.

The reason I asked about the timeline is because what we see of Scadriel Ghostbloods is quite different from Roshar Ghostbloods. I had always just figured time changed things dramatically.

I honestly did not expect Marsh to survive. Just let the poor guy rest already. Speaking of which, it's one line in the first book, but there's a religion called "Sliverism" which worships "Iron Eyes." I have no idea why Marsh's religion takes its title from the Lord Ruler's "Sliver of Infinity."

There does appear to be something gong on with Harmony, that dark shadow or whatever it is., but I'm still more inclined to trust him than Kelsier's group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

Finished TLM.

So when exactly is this happening in relation to Stormlight 1-5? I thought TSA happened later.

The reason I asked about the timeline is because what we see of Scadriel Ghostbloods is quite different from Roshar Ghostbloods. I had always just figured time changed things dramatically.

I honestly did not expect Marsh to survive. Just let the poor guy rest already. Speaking of which, it's one line in the first book, but there's a religion called "Sliverism" which worships "Iron Eyes." I have no idea why Marsh's religion takes its title from the Lord Ruler's "Sliver of Infinity."

There does appear to be something gong on with Harmony, that dark shadow or whatever it is., but I'm still more inclined to trust him than Kelsier's group.

I believe the latest WoBs put Mistborn Era 2 as happening definitely after Stormlight 5 and possibly after Stormlight 6, although Brandon hasn't fully nailed down the chronology yet.

The difference in the behaviors and attitudes of the Scadrial Ghostbloods and the Roshar Ghostbloods come down to two factors. First, as they tell us themselves, they're concerned first and foremost with protecting Scadrial. That aligns them with our Scadrian protagonists while putting them at best orthogonal to our Rosharan protagonists. Second, they're operating under Kelsier's direct leadership, which means he's in a position to restrain some of their worst impulses.

Also, I suspect that Sliverism views the Lord Ruler as its ultimate deity; it's just that Marsh is the last of the Steel Inquisitors, which makes him something akin to a saintly or angelic figure.