Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Midnight Voyager posted:

...You know Abaddon is a thing, right? Like a Bible thing? They didn't make up the name to sound like "a bad one".

I spent a summer there once, won't forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCpbpBL3oz8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Midnight Voyager posted:

...You know Abaddon is a thing, right? Like a Bible thing? They didn't make up the name to sound like "a bad one".

feel like these Bible authors are a bunch of hacks

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/TinaDesireeBerg/status/1595526214935904256?t=33-kvKN1vKtrtA8XJr3iEA&s=19

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Harminoff posted:

geohotz, He is the guy that hacked the ps3/iphone/has his own self driving car company comma.ai

So no, not a moron. Dumb for working for Elon for free and fixing this mess, yes.

seems like a huge moron

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Midnight Voyager posted:

Especially since like 90% of 40k YouTubers tend to pronounce it "Abba-don", which both annoys the poo poo out of me, and makes me think of a high-ranking Mafiosi dancing to Swedish pop music :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Especially since like 90% of 40k YouTubers tend to pronounce it "Abba-don", which both annoys the poo poo out of me, and makes me think of a high-ranking Mafiosi dancing to Swedish pop music :v:

That's also the way 90% of the human race pronounces abbadon. A-bad-don is pretty niche

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Mamma mia!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Azhais posted:

That's also the way 90% of the human race pronounces abbadon. A-bad-don is pretty niche

So basically, 90% of people don't know how to pronounce a word correctly? That figures :v;

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though naming your stuff after biblical references is pretty hacky on its own

Unless your Japanese and you have no idea what it means but it sounds really cool

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Midnight Voyager posted:

Abadon owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szQrFuTQ6gI

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

sugar free jazz posted:

seems like a huge moron

I'm not sure what's more sad: the fact that this guy thought hacking the PS3 made him a coding savant who could do self driving cars, or that Musk hired this guy as his Giordi LaForge

Either way lmao

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Chad got unbanned and came back with a bomb.
https://mobile.twitter.com/chadloder/status/1595557696131911680

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Well that didn’t take long

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I can only assume Elon is printing those # staywork shirts and forcing the visa holders to wear it at work to amplify their trauma

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Chad reporter vs the Virgin Twitter Owner

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

as they point out in the replies this sounds very similar to a breach that already happened in august

https://9to5mac.com/2022/08/08/twitter-data-breach/

they think this isn't the same breach but i'm not following their reasoning

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 24, 2022

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Look, the important thing about Abaddon is that if you see him as anything other than the biggest failson since Jeb Bush, you might be taking the lore too seriously.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DeadButDelicious posted:

When you request your Twitter archive do you get an alert on the website or is it emailed to you?

I want my archive, delete my account, and bug out while watching the fires from a safe distance.

You have to wait till Gary logs on

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Just curious but what is the point of getting a Twitter archive? It seems pointless to me but maybe I’m missing a reason other than “I may want to review my shitposts someday.”

If archiving includes images and you're an artist, it might be useful for keeping track of your old works. Ideally you'd already have all those original copies neatly organized elsewhere, but sometimes you have aaaaaaaa-final-edit3.png saved four folders deep in a weird place and you just wanna see the inferior copy.

I've been avoiding logging back on to delete because my laptop's a piece of poo poo that can barely load the site but I forgot archiving existed so maybe I'll just do that instead of trying to manually save anything before I blow up my account

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

MiracleFlare posted:

If archiving includes images and you're an artist, it might be useful for keeping track of your old works. Ideally you'd already have all those original copies neatly organized elsewhere, but sometimes you have aaaaaaaa-final-edit3.png saved four folders deep in a weird place and you just wanna see the inferior copy.

I've been avoiding logging back on to delete because my laptop's a piece of poo poo that can barely load the site but I forgot archiving existed so maybe I'll just do that instead of trying to manually save anything before I blow up my account

If you're an artist or any kind of creative really and you want to keep track of old work you've posted, just wait for Elon to remove and attribution and post it has his own work

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/FrancoisYouth/status/1595571954605588482/photo/1

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

repiv posted:

as they point out in the replies this sounds very similar to a breach that already happened in august

https://9to5mac.com/2022/08/08/twitter-data-breach/

they think this isn't the same breach but i'm not following their reasoning

That vuln was claimed to have been introduced with a code change that was well after from when this breach was from.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the previously known vuln was introduced in june 2021 according to twitter

chad says the data they've seen is from "no earlier than 2021"

that doesn't seem to contradict that this is the same breach we already knew about

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Maybe in that George has said self driving phase 3 is too hard, so Elon buying it to bury it would make sense.

Comma.ai is all about lidar though for navigation and Tesla is anti lidar so he wouldn't be buying it to use the tech.

Yes, Elon Musk, famously prudent about the companies he buys

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

:fuckoff:

I see why he bought Twitter to spew his increasingly inane and disgusting opinions at everyone, otherwise there would be a resounding chorus of "Shut the gently caress up", and Il Douchbag can't take criticism to his fee-fees

I feel like we are full Mask off at this point. He's not even trying to cover up his Apartheid baby opinions.

That site needs to die

i mean it will and it won't. my guess is what happens is he lets every possible nazi on and then does nothing when more and more hosed up poo poo happens, big money will pull out or limit there pressense and ton and it will slowly implode, only morons and uber chuds will take the jobs and they won't be able to fix the issues and or make them worse.

yeah, its clear musk will take shots at banning lefties and progresives when possible but is enough of a coward that he will probably walk back on alot of them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Apartheid gently caress has skin thinner than toilet paper

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, its clear musk will take shots at banning lefties and progresives when possible but is enough of a coward that he will probably walk back on alot of them.

one thing that actually surprises me is how indecisive musk is. i knew he was dumb, but i figured he was the kind of "stick to your first instinct no matter what" dumb. instead, he waffles back and forth, firing people only to try and rehire them, putting out the paid check and then pulling it, etc. it's interesting to observe.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol if Musky Hairplugs man makes his future class actions worst by deleting news about data leaks

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

one thing that actually surprises me is how indecisive musk is. i knew he was dumb, but i figured he was the kind of "stick to your first instinct no matter what" dumb. instead, he waffles back and forth, firing people only to try and rehire them, putting out the paid check and then pulling it, etc. it's interesting to observe.

Feels like when people used to say Trump decided on policy based on who the last person he talked to was.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
https://twitter.com/LRonMexico/status/1595138400163893248?s=20&t=VsFj78KUio94abA2yuvzCQ

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Trillhouse posted:

he has no guiding principle besides 'me first'

he likes trump and kanye because they think the same way

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Trillhouse posted:

I don't think he really had much of a choice in either of those examples

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Trump is probably enjoying Twitter going down in flames in hopes that Truth Social takes it's place.

I'm just enjoying both of them being regulated to hate speech sites.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
most of the prior good decisions you are thinking of were prolly made by other people also

the difference here is there's no filter between him and everyone else and before there was a layer of filters that had built up before he became the superrich, and wasn't owning an extremely public platform

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kazil posted:

I don't think he really had much of a choice in either of those examples

No, he had the choice of not firing those people or barrelling through with the paid check even though he probably had a dozen people telling him not to do either.

This is a personal hell of his own making, and it's delightful to watch from a distance. I hope the EU or one of the alphabet agencies in the US find something to nail his head to a wall with as a warning to others.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FirstnameLastname posted:

most of the prior good decisions you are thinking of were prolly made by other people also

the difference here is there's no filter between him and everyone else and before there was a layer of filters that had built up before he became the superrich, and wasn't owning an extremely public platform

I think one mistake with twitter for both elon and trump

Elon signed something with the FTC stating that his tweets carried the same weight as press releases.

Trumps twitter was treated as something official, (the POTUS should only have offical announcements through the press secretary) POTUS twitter (just poo poo posting) the real truth is on facebook

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Having built my career into software QA, it's jabbing my panic button to see the exodus and abuse happening at Twitter. His apparent whip-cracking and pressure on those in software development while kicking half of engineering out the door is going to result in some reeeeaaaaalllll bullshit getting pushed to prod

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Catastrophe posted:

Having built my career into software QA, it's jabbing my panic button to see the exodus and abuse happening at Twitter. His apparent whip-cracking and pressure on those in software development while kicking half of engineering out the door is going to result in some reeeeaaaaalllll bullshit getting pushed to prod

i think twitter has a good bit of inertia from the previous infrastructure they'd built but yeah it's gonna fall apart as they try to implement anything new or try to make changes lol. they still can't even get an identification program going - twitter already had a really good one

one guy who got hired from a tweet being on the job of 'fixing search' for twitter

it's gonna go great

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FirstnameLastname posted:

i think twitter has a good bit of inertia from the previous infrastructure they'd built but yeah it's gonna fall apart as they try to implement anything new or try to make changes lol. they still can't even get an identification program going - twitter already had a really good one

one guy who got hired from a tweet being on the job of 'fixing search' for twitter

it's gonna go great

Security updates is what is going to get them. Either they ignore critical security updates that need to be done, or they will mess up something critical when trying to update and nobody will know how it broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So they're obviously violated California's labour laws with the way they 'fired' everyone with the WARN stuff and also it being extremely questionable that they did fire them properly with dumb emails but what are the odds they just use their mandatory arbitration clause to get a compromised arbiter to make it go away in a blatant miscarriage of justice because that's just what companies can do now.