Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Waste of Breath posted:

A blunt and a good cake donut and a drip coffee is a great Saturday morning imo

Being easily satisfied isn't bad
But if goons don't act like they're better than someone else for eating the food common people eat, what will they have left?!

I love a good old fashioned donut, cake donuts are fine, I won't pretend I'm above eating hostess/entenmanns/etc either. Donuts are generally hard to gently caress up to the point where they're inedible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Do people genuinely never drink instant coffee? Like I love getting the fancy stuff and brewing it different ways but cmon at least half the time I want to just boil some water and pour it in a mug and have a drink that doesn't take 5 minutes to set up

That said I, uh, wouldn't pay for it in a shop

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Waste of Breath posted:

A blunt and a good cake donut and a drip coffee is a great Saturday morning imo

Being easily satisfied isn't bad

Agree 100%.

I notice you didnt say a bad powdered sugar donut and literally the worst coffee you can buy

Its the difference between the Nissan Versa and Rav4.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They stock instant coffee in every grocery store. That's a good indication that people do actually drink instant coffee. I expect the companies that sell lots of instant coffee have done things like market research and product testing and keep tidy balance sheets and know exactly what their margins are.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Good instant coffee is easily better than a lot of the coffee people are brewing at home. The average coffee is cheap beans roasted and ground months ago, dripping through a lovely machine that hasn't been cleaned in ages, into a scaly pot, sitting on the hot plate for an hour. I'll take an instant over that, thanks.

Now Rationale can you sell blunts? Because that's some high margin poo poo. Bribe your local law enforcement, what could go wrong.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Do people genuinely never drink instant coffee? Like I love getting the fancy stuff and brewing it different ways but cmon at least half the time I want to just boil some water and pour it in a mug and have a drink that doesn't take 5 minutes to set up

Post username combo.

A drip machine has all the same steps. Add water, add grounds, wait.

Hell a French press is instant coffee with plus pushing a thing and some extra rinsing.

Not hating, just seems like almost identical work. I can see it for camping or I only have access to a microwave.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m going to buy instant coffee and Entemann’s powdered donuts instead.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Anime Store Adventure posted:

oh poo poo we got a high-roller here

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Leperflesh posted:

They stock instant coffee in every grocery store. That's a good indication that people do actually drink instant coffee. I expect the companies that sell lots of instant coffee have done things like market research and product testing and keep tidy balance sheets and know exactly what their margins are.

I don't drink a lot of coffee, but instant is fine, especially when I'm only making a single cup. No need to mess around with a French press or a percolator if you're not in the mood. Food science has come a long way, as long as you're not buying the cheapest, oldest instant coffee in the store, the quality is on par with your average pre-ground coffee

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This guy knows what's up

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yes, people drink instant coffee. I cannot believe that we're talking about this, and I doubly cannot believe that it's a better topic than anything the OP is doing.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In Seattle, local chain Top Pot has started making their seasonal egg nog glazed donuts. They are loving delicious, even though they're cake donuts. Just wanted to report that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sure, people drink instant coffee. People also yell at their pets and steal money from old folks. Let's not jump to too many conclusions about what's good based on things people do

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Sundae posted:

Yes, people drink instant coffee. I cannot believe that we're talking about this, and I doubly cannot believe that it's a better topic than anything the OP is doing.

Maybe OP is reading this thread by the latest business visionary to come from Something Awful

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018119&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I like the look of the Crosstrek, I like Subarus, and you can get it with a stick. So I think it's ftw, for a crossover.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

That last part is the key here. When I go to donut shop that looks like a crack house in the middle of nowhere I expect to be served drip coffee that was brewed 6 hours ago, not instant coffee. Have some standards!

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I’ve never had instant coffee. I started with foldgers or whatever in college and my bean addiction has escalated into $25 bags of single origin beans from my local bean dealer.

I’m inspired now though, I needed gift ideas for secret Santa and I’m getting them a can of instant coffee https://www.ebay.com/itm/1856222349...ABk9SR-71uoqVYQ

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Having tried all kinds of supposedly amazing coffee frankly I prefer instant, which I fully admit is just flavoured water with a caffeine jolt.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That's what normal coffee is

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Business idea: caffeinated donuts- 200mg per donut. Million dollar idea OP. You’re welcome

e: name your business Hole Foods.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 24, 2022

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Happy stanksgiving everybody

I started celebrating yesterday by marinating myself in oil all drat day. Work is a disaster.

Subarus are my favorite cheap car. Awd beats 4wd in the snow. They also clear the ground by like nine inches. I’m really interested in an ascent bc three rows of seats means I can get four kids in there.

Instant coffee is fabulous for camping because people see that there’s no coffee maker and so they’re prepared to do without but then before you pack up the mess kit you hit em with a little 1.5 power instant. Then you don’t have to hear so much about they’re hungover or slept on a rock or had hot nasty sex all night. And you don’t have to carry a coffee maker either.

One cool thing about sugar and caffeine is that they’re both addictive.

Gonna try spudnuts today, and set up an airpot at dinner. My folks drink a lot of coffee.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Maybe OP is reading this thread by the latest business visionary to come from Something Awful

knock it off with the offtopic links to another forum's autoban shitposts

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

pmchem posted:

knock it off with the offtopic links to another forum's autoban shitposts

It's completely on-topic, thanks. The guy autobanned because he, like our OP, had a crappy business plan that he floated on the forums. He was advised not to do it, did it anyway, and came back to report his stunning failure. He had a hissy fit over some feedback he got and then posted an autoban. There are linked quotes in like the third or fourth reply

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Rationale posted:

Wife is filing the papers and she said she’ll name everything after herself if I don’t come up with a cool name in like a week does anyone have any cool names I can use?

One for the property and one for the business.

Quoting this because I think there is an off chance that this dynamic might be what leads to this business succeeding.

If OPs wife is handling all the actual details required for this venture, the paperwork, business plan, market research, etc etc, then they might be getting done even if OP isn't involved or remotely interested. All of OPs interests shown in this thread is pretty physical -- the building modifications, acquiring and messing around with the related machines, even the out-of-nowhere grappling belt awards. Teams with very strong divisions of labor do sometimes work pretty well. If he does all of the physical stuff, sourcing and maintaining equipment, handling building modifications and food prep to a high standard while his wife handles all of longer term planning, product selection, pricing, and budgeting work, they both will be contributing necessary halves of the project.

IF SO, and if OP continues posting as he has been, this is going to be a very awesome troll thread as we see the business actually take off and work-- but we only ever get the updates and insights from one half of the team, the guy who is utterly avoiding several critical components for success. Incidentally the areas he is ignoring are the areas that the BFC forum is actually good at giving advice for.

In short: OP-- buy your wife an account, have her post this thread. You may better enjoy taking your own contributions to the DIY forum.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

What forum is OP’s wife posting on and are they accepting new members?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I made my first full size pie ever (apple). Family seemed to love it but I’m not sure if they’d tell me if otherwise. For a family dinner of 11 people there were 4 pies and a cheesecake and this was the most eaten one!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

CarForumPoster posted:

I made my first full size pie ever (apple). Family seemed to love it but I’m not sure if they’d tell me if otherwise. For a family dinner of 11 people there were 4 pies and a cheesecake and this was the most eaten one!

That's some nice work! I'm sure it was delicious

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

That's some nice work! I'm sure it was delicious

TY! It was pretty good.

Question for you...

The texture of the dough, despite being chilled after rolling, was very sticky like cookie dough. I cut in chilled crisco with the flat beater in my mixer but I'm told I'm supposed to use those manual dough presser things. It stuck to wax paper and its why the surface has a really rough texture (put on in pieces) instead of rolled flat.

Any idea if that's why?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

CarForumPoster posted:

TY! It was pretty good.

Question for you...

The texture of the dough, despite being chilled after rolling, was very sticky like cookie dough. I cut in chilled crisco with the flat beater in my mixer but I'm told I'm supposed to use those manual dough presser things. It stuck to wax paper and its why the surface has a really rough texture (put on in pieces) instead of rolled flat.

Any idea if that's why?

Yeah, you mixed the fat into the flour too much. Any time you're told to "cut in" butter, you don't want to use a mixer. Use a food processor if you're going to use an appliance, in short bursts. The dough should have a corn meal-like texture before adding liquid. When you add liquid, pulse the food processor in short bursts again. Not only is it okay for the dough to be "shaggy": crumbly, sort of dry, and not totally thoroughly mixed--it's actually preferable. You're going to work the butter into the flour more as you roll and shape the dough

This is true for scones and biscuits, too. It's easy to overwork the dough, I've done it a few times. My scones are impeccable, but I struggle with pie crusts to this day, but I refuse to buy premade as a matter of pride and they usually turn out okay in the end

If it makes you feel better, I tried to make pizza dough once with a hand mixer, and that was a sticky, impossible mess that nearly burned out the mixer. Some things you gotta learn from experience

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Yeah, you mixed the fat into the flour too much. Any time you're told to "cut in" butter, you don't want to use a mixer.

[…]

If it makes you feel better, I tried to make pizza dough once with a hand mixer, and that was a sticky, impossible mess that nearly burned out the mixer. Some things you gotta learn from experience

Thanks for the advice, yea definitely seems like that was my issue. No worries about feelings it was sticky mess but tasty and a first try. Next time I’ll try cutting in with the pastry tool thing.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Yeah, you mixed the fat into the flour too much. Any time you're told to "cut in" butter, you don't want to use a mixer. Use a food processor if you're going to use an appliance, in short bursts. The dough should have a corn meal-like texture before adding liquid. When you add liquid, pulse the food processor in short bursts again. Not only is it okay for the dough to be "shaggy": crumbly, sort of dry, and not totally thoroughly mixed--it's actually preferable. You're going to work the butter into the flour more as you roll and shape the dough

This is true for scones and biscuits, too. It's easy to overwork the dough, I've done it a few times. My scones are impeccable, but I struggle with pie crusts to this day, but I refuse to buy premade as a matter of pride and they usually turn out okay in the end

Yeah. The first batch of biscuits I cut from any given dough are generally good, and then all the ones after I flatten and cut again might as well be drop biscuits in how they bake up. Pastry is hard!

I would def enjoy your apple pie, though, CarForumPoster. I bet it tastes awesome!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Stella parks is the goat of pastry, this pie crust is easy as hell and delicious. If I have a weird pastry question one of the first things I do is search “x Stella parks” to see if she has written about it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/old-fashioned-flaky-pie-dough-recipe

With pie do, your fat can be pretty large when you stop mixing, you want to see some less incorporated flour when you fold it, as long as none of your fat pieces penetrate all the way through the crust, which folding over four times should prevent, it won’t leak

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I got the tude now posted:

Stella parks is the goat of pastry, this pie crust is easy as hell and delicious. If I have a weird pastry question one of the first things I do is search “x Stella parks” to see if she has written about it.

With pie do, your fat can be pretty large when you stop mixing, you want to see some less incorporated flour when you fold it, as long as none of your fat pieces penetrate all the way through the crust, which folding over four times should prevent, it won’t leak

Awesome, thank you for the tips

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Great posts. Happy Thanksgiving weekend, all.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The particulars of mixing flour water and oil are fascinatingly diverse.

I've watched this one half a dozen times over years. Baking is mesmerizing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhpxkGB1OyY&t=332s

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Can vouch for this recipe. Easy to handle and has tasted great from the first time I used it. The only thing I ever need to improve is trimming and shaping the edges of the crust for ~aesthetic~.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Horrible on track thread suggestion: Serve questios with coffee. I truly love donuts. I try local donuts every time I travel. If we're only in each city for one day on a road trip, we have donuts every morning so I can try local donuts.

However, donuts and coffee are not a combo. They're two things that IMO don't go GREAT together. The proper thing for coffee is a pastry, particularly quesitos. Secondarily, guava con queso. Coffee and a quesito is the platonic ideal of dough and coffee in my mind. There is no reality of what is a coffee and pastry until a flaky quesito with a sweet creme cheese is had.

So my bad idea for the OP is to serve quesitos and coffee in Ohio. Hell, open a latin pastry, donut and coffee shop.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
OP is gonna try to make all his own puff pastry now. Thanks jerk.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

all i know about puff pastry is that chopped contestants gently caress it up almost as often as they gently caress up the ice cream maker

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

all i know about puff pastry is that chopped contestants gently caress it up almost as often as they gently caress up the ice cream maker

Ice cream is super easy, it just requires time. Now I'm curious to know how they gently caress that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Ice cream is super easy, it just requires time. Now I'm curious to know how they gently caress that up

it's a timed cooking show, you have 30 minutes to come up with, cook, and plate your dessert. also there's only one ice cream machine for two contestants. some people manage to pull it off but i guess with those time and equipment constraints it's not easy.