Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Just Winging It posted:

Oh for sure, but I would've figured that even if she's not the smartest stick in the bundle that she'd not voice public approval of the two worst publicity dumpster fires in the West. Apparently I was wrong.

At this point I think her social media has been entirely run by Stone for like 2 years at least, but she's still signing off on this.

I just bring that up because recently some other niche internet micro celeb went to a jorp thing/got free tickets and I swear their post was like 95% identical, which makes me think there's some influencer junket they give you if you get a freebie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Just Winging It posted:

For a career opportunistic grifter that's a remarkably poor choice of horse to hitch their cart to.

If anything it kinda fits the profile of “get canceled, pander to people mad about cancel culture” which seems to be pretty common.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Coolness Averted posted:

At this point I think her social media has been entirely run by Stone for like 2 years at least, but she's still signing off on this.

I just bring that up because recently some other niche internet micro celeb went to a jorp thing/got free tickets and I swear their post was like 95% identical, which makes me think there's some influencer junket they give you if you get a freebie.

Scientology does that for actors/celebrities, and it seems to work so Peterson stealing that model doesn't seem far fetched.

Also, this is the only place I can think of to ask this. I like the Glass Cannon podcast, has there ever been anything beyond being friends with Erik Mona/Paizo bad? I haven't seen anything, but I may have missed stuff.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

seaborgium posted:

Also, this is the only place I can think of to ask this. I like the Glass Cannon podcast, has there ever been anything beyond being friends with Erik Mona/Paizo bad? I haven't seen anything, but I may have missed stuff.

I don't think anything particularly heinous has come out about them, no.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

E: I'm dumb

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
https://twitter.com/Levelupdice/status/1595508333066465280

The bespoke dice industry has finally found a way to go too far:

Honestly, I was expecting dice made from real human bones first.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

what the gently caress

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Nuns with Guns posted:

https://twitter.com/Levelupdice/status/1595508333066465280

The bespoke dice industry has finally found a way to go too far:

Honestly, I was expecting dice made from real human bones first.

the part where it says "we did not understand the trauma of the holocaust" is very https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/19/wayne-hennessey-is-desperate-to-learn-about-the-nazis-roy-hodgson-crystal-palace energy

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wait this is from 5 years ago

Lmao, drat

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dexo posted:

Wait this is from 5 years ago

Lmao, drat

2017 was a very different era, before the world learned that nazis were bad and we probably shouldn't make and sell memorabilia celebrating them

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why are they just now apologizing for this? :psyduck:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Probably caught wind of people noticing it and wanted to get ahead of it

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

they did loving what

and it took them HOW LONG to learn that Holocaust bad

what the gently caress

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

The cultural fallout from the Ukraine conflict has caused some re-examinations of things that might have skated-by in previous years

(in this case the re-examination is, in my opinion, towards the positive, as opposed to something like expressing distaste for a Stalingrad boardgame released in 2022 because it supposedly "both-sides" the Eastern Front)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

gradenko_2000 posted:

The cultural fallout from the Ukraine conflict has caused some re-examinations of things that might have skated-by in previous years

(in this case the re-examination is, in my opinion, towards the positive, as opposed to something like expressing distaste for a Stalingrad boardgame released in 2022 because it supposedly "both-sides" the Eastern Front)

Is that the zombie game with the spiral bound map book? Can't remember the name but I definitely found it worrying that the players were half Russian and half Nazi.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lumbermouth posted:

Is that the zombie game with the spiral bound map book? Can't remember the name but I definitely found it worrying that the players were half Russian and half Nazi.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean they prooobably knew that Holocaust bad, but like a number of wargamers I've talked to, even ones who I know aren't Nazis or fasc, can get a weird obsession with the machinery of war finding it cool and would probably consider buying this stupid poo poo.

They probably didn't think past "cool dice made of war poo poo"

Which is a massive institutional problem of course.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
historical war games are not on the same level as nerd bait made from SS tanks jesus christ

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:goofy:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Unrealized opportunity- melt down Russian t-90’s and make into 15mm wargame miniatures.

Profits go to Ukraine of course.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Comstar posted:

Unrealized opportunity- melt down Russian t-90’s and make into 15mm wargame miniatures.

Profits go to Ukraine of course.

I endorse this, especially if you melt down ones in active service.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

I mean they prooobably knew that Holocaust bad, but like a number of wargamers I've talked to, even ones who I know aren't Nazis or fasc, can get a weird obsession with the machinery of war finding it cool and would probably consider buying this stupid poo poo.

They probably didn't think past "cool dice made of war poo poo"

Which is a massive institutional problem of course.

I could even see someone thinking it was a "swords to plowshares" kind of thing, but still just naw, man. Naw.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ffffff is this from a third party review or promotional material?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

Ffffff is this from a third party review or promotional material?

Polygon.com: Playing Nazi Germany against Soviet Russia is a tough sell in the year of our lord 2022

Undaunted: Stalingrad could be the best wargame of the year — just hold your nose

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Wait, like... dice actually made from Nazi tank scrap??

NGL, I would also have expected human bone dice first, in terms of really bad bespoke die material choices. (Maybe ashes suspended in resin? Something with human remains.) How do you even loving get to making dice out of scrapped Nazi tanks??

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antivehicular posted:

NGL, I would also have expected human bone dice first, in terms of really bad bespoke die material choices. (Maybe ashes suspended in resin? Something with human remains.) How do you even loving get to making dice out of scrapped Nazi tanks??

it was a partnership with an Australian war museum

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antivehicular posted:

It was in collaboration with some war museum. They got some tank side armor to melt down and cast as dice as limited "collector's pieces."

Given how long ago this all was, whatever stock the had has to have sold out forever ago? Maybe they realized they'd have to throw out some CYA ahead of another gimmick dice sale?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Nuns with Guns posted:

It was in collaboration with some war museum. They got some tank side armor to melt down and cast as dice as limited "collector's pieces."

Given how long ago this all was, whatever stock the had has to have sold out forever ago? Maybe they realized they'd have to throw out some CYA ahead of another gimmick dice sale?

Oh, so the apology is five years later in anticipation of next month’s Human Bone Dice on Kickstarter.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CitizenKeen posted:

Oh, so the apology is five years later in anticipation of next month’s Human Bone Dice on Kickstarter.

I looked around a bit and apparently they first got heat back in August after it was mentioned in a Polygon article and they put up an even worse apology back then:

https://twitter.com/levelupdice/status/1560338547374059520

So I guess they decided they needed to slot this in ahead of Black Friday to make sure it didn't hurt sales too bad.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Dang, I have no idea how I would have worded that release if I'd had to, but that geeking out about "the chosen tank of elite SS Panzerdivisions" is just... just dreadful.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol christ

"we're sorry people might have been hurt by the news that we were making dice out of a Tiger, but actually it was out our hands cuz it's the museum that gets to pick the tank we can make dice out of...

... and instead we're making one out of a Panzer IV, and we're going to highlight that Panzer IVs were still used by the SS, so don't worry about losing that elite mystique!!!"

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
No never mind

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
One more fun detail to mull over ahead of this lovely Thanksgiving weekend:

https://twitter.com/nonagondice/status/1595589197133496320

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nuns with Guns posted:

What a shocking and unexpected twist.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Clive Palmer is a lunatic so this checks out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a very short list the kind of people who would've had an S.S. Tiger to donate.

It's pretty much a few very tired and put-upon serious history people and Nazis.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
If this was dragging your rear end across Nazi poo poo and saying "Your war machines sucked and now your reich is gone, you fucks, we play games with your scrap" I could almost see it.

That does not appear to be what this is.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Just out of curiosity, because I really know nothing about historical wargames or their marketing: what are the ethical techniques for marketing and writing ad copy involving historical factions and events of this gravity? (Which I suppose could really be any historical war, but I'm mostly thinking of stuff on the Nazi scale, where things are still broadly within living memory with meaningful political implications.) How do companies not staffed by raging assholes square the circle of "for the game to work, players have to want to play both sides, so we have to hype them both as cool/powerful/exciting to play" with "this group is reprehensible and glorifying them in any way is morally inappropriate even for our morally-acceptable goal of selling people on playing this fun game we made?" This tank-dice poo poo is obviously grotesque, but how do the better voices in this hobby handle this issue?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'm not anywhere in the industry but if I were designing something like this I'd make it a game where all the players took the Allied side and an automatic system calculated how to move the Nazis, and then use it to simulate the historical scenarios where a much smaller Allied side defeated a greater force of Nazis (while also providing historical context notes explaining how battles like this were the exception rather than the rule because for the most part fascist logistics and supply chains are clownshoes stupid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Playing the bad guys is part of the buy-in for historical wargaming but the ethical way to do it is to not glorify any particular ideology. Chain of Command is a WW2 game I've played and enjoyed and the publishers never use the word Nazi in their product descriptions, simply referring to the German forces as... well, the Germans. They largely write and publish mini campaigns and pretty much just present it as 'Hey, here's a chance for you to play out what might've happened in reality or a wholly alternate result.'