Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Frosted Flake posted:

Who, it should be noted, used the correct Roman naming convention for his sixth son, giving him the numeral praenomina Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg, derived from Sextus.

this sucks, gently caress him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

G*rmania

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Frosted Flake posted:

The thing that stuck out to me about the latest Chapo is the self proclaimed geniuses didn’t even look up basic Latin. Feminine singular would be Titania Invicta. It’s weird to have an adjective as a proper name though, and it doesn’t fit with Roman feminine name conventions. For something like your child’s name, you’d expect them to do the research and get it right.

More to the point, Invicta means unconquered, unsubdued, unconquerable, invincible. Seems reasonable, right?

Well, what about Titania? It comes from Titan, and in Latin didn’t just mean “big” or “strong”, it refers to the son of Cœlus and Vesta, elder brother of Saturn, and ancestor of the Titans, called Tītāni or Tītānes , who contended with Saturn for the sovereignty of heaven, and were, by the thunderbolts of his son Jupiter, precipitated into Tartarus. It could mean a grandson of the above, son of Hyperion, the Sun-god, or a title applied to Prometheus, as grandson of Titan.

There’s more to it, because there were specific women who could be called Titania: Latona, as daughter of the Titan Cœus, Pyrrha, as descendant of the Titan Prometheus, Diana, as sister of Sol, Circe, as daughter of Sol.

But most importantly - the entire thing about the Titans is that they were conquered!

Do they literally think being good at computers gives them some form of universal knowledge? Because in Latin grammar, Roman names and the mythology of the Titans they have three strikes.

should have named her mega-gargant dakkastompah

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Liz never played dark souls to know the pain of losing all your souls

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
don't worry I'm going to explain it to her

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/len0killer/status/1594752264576581642?cxt=HHwWlICyrYev2aEsAAAA

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

dang friendlyjordies house just got firebombed

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lmfao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Liz being dumb about the causes of Silicon Valley freaks in the recent TrueAnon. Literally all of these people come from upper or upper-middle class backgrounds - I'm pretty sure that has a much bigger impact on making them think there are no consequences to things than video games.

Also most of these guys are dumb as gently caress - being "good with computers" didn't make them this way. It's just a particular subculture of the rich (IIRC they even correctly compare it with something like the Progressive movement/eugenics).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

Liz being dumb about the causes of Silicon Valley freaks in the recent TrueAnon. Literally all of these people come from upper or upper-middle class backgrounds - I'm pretty sure that has a much bigger impact on making them think there are no consequences to things than video games.

Also most of these guys are dumb as gently caress - being "good with computers" didn't make them this way. It's just a particular subculture of the rich (IIRC they even correctly compare it with something like the Progressive movement/eugenics).
Liz has a weird thing against JRPGs, i think she played too much FF8. or 9. i forgot what the bad one was.

but yes, that most computer touching sv sicks are like yospossy doughy white people from wisconsin or michigan suburbs or something with big college degrees that their parents bought their admissions into is the major issue. note the actual extreme poor people who got into computer touching generally aren't weirdos but they are also not sillicon valley people anyways and instead are doing tech support for some garbage small-town law firm for $60k.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xaris posted:

Liz has a weird thing against JRPGs, i think she played too much FF8. or 9. i forgot what the bad one was.

Neither of them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Neither of them.
okay fine, Legends of the Dragoon then.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

Nah she was 100% right

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

paul_soccer12 posted:

Nah she was 100% right

Liz in her nerdphobia doesn't realize that everybody under 40, no matter what breakfast club clique they fit into, grew up commiting mass murder in GTA for fun.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

China has the right idea when it comes to video games

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Liz is a trans-age boomer but she's generally tolerable despite that

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

Liz is a trans-age boomer but she's generally tolerable despite that

lmao thought you were talkin about liz cheney

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Xaris posted:

but yes, that most computer touching sv sicks are like yospossy doughy white people from wisconsin or michigan suburbs or something with big college degrees that their parents bought their admissions into is the major issue. note the actual extreme poor people who got into computer touching generally aren't weirdos but they are also not sillicon valley people anyways and instead are doing tech support for some garbage small-town law firm for $60k.

Yeah there's a big difference between people who do computers as a job and the Silicon Valley types in terms of wealth and outlook. You can generally tell if someone uses technology to do a thing and a person who worships technology in and of itself.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

COPE 27 posted:

China has the right idea when it comes to video games

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the reading series rants about technocratic sociopaths attempting to kill the human god and enshrine the algorithm as a way to offload responsibility for a cruel unjust world was really great.

oh, and there's a new cringepoints.

chapo is a land of contrasts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol yeah it's bizarre that christman's twitch streams are better than his prepared alt-analysis

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

i say swears online posted:

lol yeah it's bizarre that christman's twitch streams are better than his prepared alt-analysis

twitch chat keeps him strong.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

She's wrong to say it's video games when it's obviously forums imo. There's no way effective altruism isn't a lesswrong thing

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

all of that is wrong. its class, you idiots. rich people playing with peoples money like its a game is the story of nearly every single american financial fraud case out there. rich dipshit guys who have never faced consequences for anything in their lives gently caress around with peoples livelihoods because its funny. trying to tie this to specific industries, or video games or whatever is lol.

bernie madoff wasnt a gamer, or a poster, or a silicon valley dickhead. same poo poo different year

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

studio mujahideen posted:

all of that is wrong. its class, you idiots. rich people playing with peoples money like its a game is the story of nearly every single american financial fraud case out there. rich dipshit guys who have never faced consequences for anything in their lives gently caress around with peoples livelihoods because its funny. trying to tie this to specific industries, or video games or whatever is lol.

bernie madoff wasnt a gamer, or a poster, or a silicon valley dickhead. same poo poo different year

what if england was france tho

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

i say swears online posted:

what if england was france tho

oi, want some snail pudding mon ami?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
land snails taste like mushrooms so you could probably do a pretty decent savory pie with em

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Snails and mushrooms sauteed in garlic and olive oil. Maybe with onions. Put that in the pie crust. What herbs tho? Oregano, herbs de provence?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Iirc Steve Jobs did not grow up rich (though not like, poor or anything) and a lot of SV evangelists project his experience onto everyone else, instead of acting like he was the outlier and every other SV entrepreneur started out pretty well off at the very least.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the funny thing about the games discourse is watching people get into vicky3 and coming to the realization of material conditions of 19th century europe, also, gamers do care about consequences hell the whole past decade was about how "choices matter"ed or not

Farm Frenzy posted:

She's wrong to say it's video games when it's obviously forums imo. There's no way effective altruism isn't a lesswrong thing

i've been on forums all my life and look at me! i turned out great! I held out my last job for five whole months before they threw me out

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 12:46 on Nov 24, 2022

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

slatestarcodex needs to be punished for what he wrought on the internet

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Honest Thief posted:

the funny thing about the games discourse is watching people get into vicky3 and coming to the realization of material conditions of 19th century europe, also, gamers do care about consequences hell the whole past decade was about how "choices matter"ed or not

eh right now vicky also teaches everyone "Wellfare and Workcouncils Bad!" which sucks

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
>hinge points
>south asia doesn't exist.

epic. One almost forgets that columbus was finding a way to which part of the world.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Honest Thief posted:

i've been on forums all my life and look at me! i turned out great! I held out my last job for five whole months before they threw me out

Hm try not being so honest about it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

>hinge points
>south asia doesn't exist.

epic. One almost forgets that columbus was finding a way to which part of the world.

Sometimes Christman hits and other times he seems a little lazy. Everybody knows if not for the channel and the Royal Navy, Phillip II, the Jacobites, Napoleon, Hitler etc. would bring tyranny to jolly old England.

Turtledove at least wrote a book where glaciation was different, the Mediterranean was a dry basin, and Neanderthals survived to the present day. That was interesting, this not so much.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
Isn't it just that people in silicon valley live in a culture bubble that has a vested interest in perpetuating the lie that they're saving the world? Because they live extravagant lives of privilege at the expense of the suffering of others, and if they're not part of a holy mission to rescue civilization then they're just a bunch of parasites enriching themselves at the end of the world? I don't think you need more of an explanation than that, they're part of an insular community that needs to rationalize their continued existence.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Sometimes Christman hits and other times he seems a little lazy. Everybody knows if not for the channel and the Royal Navy, Phillip II, the Jacobites, Napoleon, Hitler etc. would bring tyranny to jolly old England.

Turtledove at least wrote a book where glaciation was different, the Mediterranean was a dry basin, and Neanderthals survived to the present day. That was interesting, this not so much.

whenever they go into speculative territory it's honestly kinda boring

Salean posted:

Hm try not being so honest about it

no :colbert:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

like their big idea is that the ottomans keep expanding into europe and the habsburgs don't stop them without new world currency. This completely ignores ottoman attempts at trying and failing to stop the portuguese from expanding into India alongside their Mughal and Venetian(!) allies cutting the ottomans out of the east/west trade. It's mind boggling that during the era of the post medieval - early modern world there is a complete lack of the Mughal empire acting as both a massive gold sink and a trade market. It's the east india company, not the cathay company. It's really infuriating.

I will still keep listening to that garbage.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Hinge Points seems pretty dumb so far. You can still be relatively materialist when doing this stuff, but they start throwing out ‘maybe’s almost immediately and then just say any old poo poo after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if you care about the history at all, Christmas is the last one to listen to