Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I will never modify any game unless it's to increase draw distance or something like that.

No actually just that, and that's what I'd classify as a patch anyway, not a mod.

I'm not a big fan of modding either, though I did get better faces/better bodies for Morrowind because lmao what were they thinking with those defaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The combat zone was originally supposed to be much more involved and not just show up and kill everyone but it was cut. Fallout 4 always felt like it was lacking much quest content to me but I’m probably in a minority of that since I’ve played the game for a much longer than 99% of people.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

cheesetriangles posted:

The combat zone was originally supposed to be much more involved and not just show up and kill everyone but it was cut. Fallout 4 always felt like it was lacking much quest content to me but I’m probably in a minority of that since I’ve played the game for a much longer than 99% of people.

No you are right. There are sections of the map you are never pointed towards. You have to wander there on your own.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

One of the coolest areas on the map is the Boston Mayoral Shelter and I have never seen a single person discuss it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

cheesetriangles posted:

One of the coolest areas on the map is the Boston Mayoral Shelter and I have never seen a single person discuss it.

It's really hard to stumble across!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Does fo4 have an explorer perk equivalent?

Hell, I didn't know North Vegas existed in F:NV until like my fifth playthrough

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I didn't even know the Atom Cats garage existed until my third playthrough despite spending a significant amount of time at Warwick Homestead. It's actually kind of wild how the game underutilizes the locations they built, only to make decisions that force you to overlap storylines between the factions. The world is way bigger than the main quest would have you believe.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I swam across to spectacle island out of curiosity more than anything and it's way better than lovely sanctuary hills

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I think the lack of a system like skyrim's "radiant quests" really hurt fallout 4 exploration. Being given a miscellaneous clue saying "Rumors of good salvage here" would have gone a long way to get players to check out far corners of the map nobody had any reason to go to.

Instead we got the stupid settlement system where you have to protect each location constantly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

NofrikinfuN posted:

I didn't even know the Atom Cats garage existed until my third playthrough despite spending a significant amount of time at Warwick Homestead. It's actually kind of wild how the game underutilizes the locations they built, only to make decisions that force you to overlap storylines between the factions. The world is way bigger than the main quest would have you believe.

now this one you were just unlucky, there's a fairly frequent random encounter with people from there (guys out scrounging for power armor parts) and they give you a bread crumb to go there.

Mr Hootington posted:

I think the lack of a system like skyrim's "radiant quests" really hurt fallout 4 exploration. Being given a miscellaneous clue saying "Rumors of good salvage here" would have gone a long way to get players to check out far corners of the map nobody had any reason to go to.

Instead we got the stupid settlement system where you have to protect each location constantly.

you kind of got this in that almost all of the settlement unlock quests would point you to a secondary location but yeah, if you weren't super interested in doing every settlement unlock that preston gives you then you don't get any of that.

ilmucche posted:

I swam across to spectacle island out of curiosity more than anything and it's way better than lovely sanctuary hills

this was weird, there was never anything pointing here that I ever discovered and it's such a wrongheaded way to get there compared to everything else in the game. really felt like there was supposed to be a boat or something to carry you back and forth but I never found it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

you kind of got this in that almost all of the settlement unlock quests would point you to a secondary location but yeah, if you weren't super interested in doing every settlement unlock that preston gives you then you don't get any of that.

I did all the settlements and eventually let them all collapse due to being overwhelmed by all of them being constantly attacked and collapsing. There would always be 2 or 3 being attacked or needing to be retaken. Could never get ahead.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

after the second or third time one of these sent me to a location I had already cleared, I stopped doing it

you would think not letting it send you to a place you've already been would be a no-brainer, but :shrug:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I just turn off settlement attacks because especially on survival mode they are way too much of a hassle.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

hawowanlawow posted:

Does fo4 have an explorer perk equivalent?

No but if you enter "tmm 1,0,1" in the console it does the same thing. I'm doing a survival playthrough now where I'm only allowed to go to locations that are adjacent to locations I've already cleared or explored. Kind of painting the map and exploring every location in the game in the process. I'm level 27 and still haven't made it to diamond city. I'll be taking hangman's alley soon though, so that will open the game up a bit. Gonna take a bit of work to get to the vault where valentine is imprisoned tho.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

I just turn off settlement attacks because especially on survival mode they are way too much of a hassle.

I took aquaboy specifically so I could use canals to get around without being attacked or tempted to loot everything, it still sucks doing a cross-country trip and showing up just in time for a turret to kill a raider.

Then there's the occasional supermutant raid party with missiles. :gonk:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

cheesetriangles posted:

Fallout 4 always felt like it was lacking much quest content to me but I’m probably in a minority of that since I’ve played the game for a much longer than 99% of people.
It's not just you. Skyrim had very involved questlines for each of the guilds (eg - fighter, mage, thief, Dark Brotherhood) in addition to the Daedric quests which were beefy one-offs. The closest analog 4 has to any of the guild questlines are the factions as they interact with the second half of the main quest campaign, which is bad writing bolted onto worse writing.

The constant settlement attacks were probably supposed to paper over the relative lack of non-radiant content available.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe it’s just how I play these games, but I don’t mind the game not being pushy about exploration. I love that there are places the game is indifferent about me finding. Knowing not everything has a prewritten connection to the player makes the world feel more genuine.

Additionally, I hate entering a location only to find the telltale signs of a questline I haven’t picked up yet (and there’s still plenty of that in FO4).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I found a lot of places because I followed roads instead of beelining according to compass markers. It's called role-playing :smuggo: (I think it's fair to say a pre-war person would do it, at least for a good while.)

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Maybe it’s just how I play these games, but I don’t mind the game not being pushy about exploration. I love that there are places the game is indifferent about me finding. Knowing not everything has a prewritten connection to the player makes the world feel more genuine.

Additionally, I hate entering a location only to find the telltale signs of a questline I haven’t picked up yet (and there’s still plenty of that in FO4).

Same. Big agree on this one

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
There should have been a Yes Man type ending where you tell all the other factions to gently caress off. Also it would involve the Silver Shroud so you could be Speaking as Shroud all the time.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
There is a "Yes, another settlement is in need of assistance" man.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I found a lot of places because I followed roads instead of beelining according to compass markers. It's called role-playing :smuggo: (I think it's fair to say a pre-war person would do it, at least for a good while.)

I'm currently playing Days Gone this way and it's pretty fun ngl

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Flying back from the Glowing Sea (survival mode) feeling good going to go kill a courser, fly over the Chestnut Reservoir which has random encounters 100% of the time. And then I see a super mutant firing missiles up at me. I'm so incredibly mad, but got to respect the skills of that mutant.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

the Chestnut Reservoir

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Well the Log Cabin Kit came up again in the Lumberjack Bundle and I decided to grab it. Glad I did, because it boosted my little Bed-and-Breakfast Hunting Lodge camp to the point it might actually be a nice place to stay.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

Well the Log Cabin Kit came up again in the Lumberjack Bundle and I decided to grab it. Glad I did, because it boosted my little Bed-and-Breakfast Hunting Lodge camp to the point it might actually be a nice place to stay.

What the gently caress that's not how log cabins work!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The forbidden Eat-o-tronic.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's supposed to be a vent for the fireplace. I don't like the idea of the chimney just ending inside the house.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

It's supposed to be a vent for the fireplace. I don't like the idea of the chimney just ending inside the house.

I figured, it looks perfect. Just had to joke about it when I realized what it really was.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
So wait does only one person get credit for a quest when completing? I only saw "help" or "enter my own instance"

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

So wait does only one person get credit for a quest when completing? I only saw "help" or "enter my own instance"

This is how it seemed to work when I was following a friend around. In some of Rose's quests I could get credit if I also did the thing, but it didnt seem to be shared progress aside from kicking a couple caps to my teammate when a quest was turned in.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

yep you have to do it twice

and the world quests will spawn double the amount of enemies if you do them with a partner

it's really loving stupid and the reason my wife and I quit playing

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Are the achievements for the Pitt related stuff bugged on xbox? I should have unlocked them by now.

These achievements finally popped for me. Haven't even done Pitt/Whitesprings poo poo for a few days. They just popped randomly yesterday while I was loving around at a train station.

What a dumb loving game.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I occasionally get rewards for events I didn't do, I imagine the backend of this game is an absolute nightmare.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

NofrikinfuN posted:

I occasionally get rewards for events I didn't do, I imagine the backend of this game is an absolute nightmare.

What's that "evict the squatters" one? Because that's the most offending event in just giving everyone on the map event rewards.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What's that "evict the squatters" one? Because that's the most offending event in just giving everyone on the map event rewards.

I think its supposed to be killing all of a specific creature type in the event area and I bet the rewards are accidentally being passed to people killing that creature type outside of the event area during the event.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

yep you have to do it twice

and the world quests will spawn double the amount of enemies if you do them with a partner

it's really loving stupid and the reason my wife and I quit playing

Chalk another one up to this then. Was playing with friends and trying it out and when we found out we had to play a mission three times over we initially thought "hahahaha no loving way thats true. Not in multiplayer game with groups!"

Jesus thats a loving egregious choice. Welp uninstall at least i didnt waste any time.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Weirdly, the Pitt content seems to do this right and I was able to move the mission along while my friend was the team leader.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

This is my first season and I got a late start so I'm not going to reach the end of the game board by the 6th. Should I use atoms to jump the last leg or are atoms better spent elsewhere? I'm not super invested in the union or fanatic gear, but i have big FOMO when it comes to this kind of thing.

The only think I've really been tempted by in the atom shop so far has been the respec slots because I keep needing to switch between combat and crafting perks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's just about all I ever spent atoms on myself, except for one very neat PA skin
e: and the ammo converter