Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Sounds good, craft paints like normal acrylics/oils or what? Do craft paints come in metal and rust? It would help if you posted an example so I can look for it in the stores
you can buy rattlecan metallics if you need to cover big bits of terrain in metallic paint

also yeah you can buy a big thing of acrylic metallic paint for cheap. uk at least has stuff like this https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/silver-metallic-home-craft-acrylic-paint-60ml/6309501003.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lumpy posted:

Finished this a few weeks ago, but this was my entry into the Wyrd Games fall painting contest. Despite some "fun" during the process (do NOT use poster tack to mask for airbrushing... :cry:) I am super happy with how it came out.

This rocks, if I didn't know better I'd think it's glowing "for real".

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

SiKboy posted:

This.

*tons of great advice*

Wow thanks I will definitely go for this thanks so much for the great advice!!!

Electric Hobo posted:

Congrats! That was a huge number of votes compared to second place!

I slapped together the guitar ghost for the contest.

I've been messing with mixing something I can use like Contrasts out of stuff that I already have, and I think I'm getting to a good place with it. I used it on this one, and the bat monster I posted a while ago. It's just ink, Army Painter Quickeshade Wash Mixing Medium and a little water.

Hoooolylyyyy shiiittt thatssss sooooo raaaaddd!!!!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

you can buy rattlecan metallics if you need to cover big bits of terrain in metallic paint

also yeah you can buy a big thing of acrylic metallic paint for cheap. uk at least has stuff like this https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/silver-metallic-home-craft-acrylic-paint-60ml/6309501003.html

Absolutely perfect I am getting a couple of stuff from England as we speak I’ll definitely gobble these up and ship them over with my anvil industry stuff!!! Thanks so much!!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

S.J. posted:

What is this. I need it.

Tortle pirate from bite the bullet, I believe. I'll look it up when I'm finished, for my post. Goon friend MollyMetroid last page provided it. Fanatic mini to work on so far.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-tortle-pirate-161973

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 24, 2022

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Al-Saqr posted:

All of my priming for everything will be done with rattle cans, I got absolutely loving wrecked cost wise shipping those loving things because they’re considered ‘dangerous material’ (flammable aerosol spray cans) so only DHL would ship them, I tried my best to find a local replacement at the art and hardware stores here but no dice, so I’m going to get all the value I possibly can out of them.

I bought the following paint sets:-

GW 40k starter set

Army Painter rattle cans (white, grey, black matte)

Vallejo basic colors set - fantasy battle colors set - game color washes set - skin colors set - metallic colors set.

Army Painter quick washes set.

Yes I bought in bulk because of both big discounts and shipping them all at once is far cheaper for me than realizing I forgot something then having to go through the shipping process again, I don’t have the luxury of Amazon prime type thing since I don’t live in America.

Dont but hobby brand spray paint. gently caress, i used bbq primer for the first 20-30 models i painted.

Hobby brand spray paints are overpriced as poo poo.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

This may be the highest quality paint job I have done ever.

Captain Cooper Blueshell, of the Blue Shell Pirates.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

God this is such a pleasant color scheme I love it what a fun character

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

NinjaDebugger posted:

This is fantastic.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I want to know how to do the value sketch as clean as it was prr-contrast or glazing, whichever technique you used.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

I want to know how to do the value sketch as clean as it was prr-contrast or glazing, whichever technique you used.

It's black primer and airbrushed white ink zenithal, that's it Getting a decent quality airbrush made my zenithals look way smoother. The color over it is a combination of standard acrylics (vallejo and reaper, a bit of pro acryl) and AP speedpaints.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lumpy and NinjaDebugger those are some fantastic paint jobs. Wow!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

NinjaDebugger posted:

It's black primer and airbrushed white ink zenithal, that's it Getting a decent quality airbrush made my zenithals look way smoother. The color over it is a combination of standard acrylics (vallejo and reaper, a bit of pro acryl) and AP speedpaints.

Well i guess im going to invest in a good airbrush now, i guess

Thanks for the info.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Reporting back after a while of trying different brands for parchment paper: the paper I started with was the least hosed and everything else has caused even worse problems with watery and lovely paint as soon as it makes contact with the paper. So I must be doing something wrong, then.

Despite that, and despite my constantly rapidly fraying Raphael 8404 that's loving new I haven't even painted 10 models using it, managed 4 heads painted today and... well, two of them are acceptable, at least. Even if one is "Handsome Squidward in a wig and corpse paint". Can't get them to photograph properly but when I do the models they're meant to go on I'll hopefully be able to. Just needed a distraction from the Battletech company and still need motivation to continue at all, but not gonna get that externally.

Love the last couple pages of paint jobs. Good work folks.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

SiKboy posted:

This.

Painting all that terrain would use up huge amounts of mini paint and wash which costs a lot per ml. You can almost certainly pick up big tubes of acrylic craft paint for the local equivalent of £1ish per tube. Its not great for figures but its absolutely fine for terrain. Or, check out hardware stores and pick up tester pots of their wall paint, a lot of my terrain is painted with those. I'm not saying dont use any mini paints on terrain ever, if there is like a particular detail you want to pick out in macragge blue or whatever, fine. But the bulk of your terrain should be undercoated with a cheap rattle can, painted with cheap hobby paint, washed with watered down cheap hobby paint (or an oil wash if you want to go that route. It looks good but I cant always be bothered with it myself), and drybrushed with cheap craft paint.

Also get yourself some cheap paintbrushes. Big ones. Not like "paint my house" big, but "Hand this to little Billy and he can paint on the poster paper while we watch TV" big. Trying to cover a lot of terrain with your #1 mini basecoating brush is like trying to clean your bathroom with a toothbrush, and will be hard on the brush too. If you get a pack of a variety of sizes you can use the smaller ones for other dirty jobs like applying PVA glue to bases (and also again oil washes). Its super handy to have a few brushes you officially dont have to give a poo poo about keeping nice.

You might want to buy a couple of cheap makeup brushes for drybrushing, they do a power of work particularly on big pieces.

I'm not going to try and give specific advice on the into the dark set, as I havent painted it. But I'm 100% sure if you search for it on youtube a million youtubers have, so have a browse and see what colour schemes you like/techniques you can steal. And/or just browse hobby youtube to get tips on painting rust and weathering terrain. If "Rusty as all gently caress" is what you are looking for, check out Billmakesstuff, I think erics hobby workshow is/was doing some stuff with the into the dark terrain, there are a million and one of them.

ETA:

loving owns, good work!

In addition to all this good advice, a little bit of flow improver and matte medium goes a long way to making craft paints much better. This honestly goes for miniature paint as well. I keep a dropper of 50/50 medium and flow to make thicker paints flow better. That same solution added to you craft paints will make them more the consistency of miniature paints.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Reporting back after a while of trying different brands for parchment paper: the paper I started with was the least hosed and everything else has caused even worse problems with watery and lovely paint as soon as it makes contact with the paper. So I must be doing something wrong, then.

Despite that, and despite my constantly rapidly fraying Raphael 8404 that's loving new I haven't even painted 10 models using it, managed 4 heads painted today and... well, two of them are acceptable, at least. Even if one is "Handsome Squidward in a wig and corpse paint". Can't get them to photograph properly but when I do the models they're meant to go on I'll hopefully be able to. Just needed a distraction from the Battletech company and still need motivation to continue at all, but not gonna get that externally.

I wouldnt be spending money on expensive brushes if i couldnt figure out a wet palette, personally. Instead of spending a bunch of money on different parchment papers, you shouldve just spent the 10 bucks and bought one thats guaranteed to work

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My Spirit Otter posted:

I wouldnt be spending money on expensive brushes if i couldnt figure out a wet palette, personally. Instead of spending a bunch of money on different parchment papers, you shouldve just spent the 10 bucks and bought one thats guaranteed to work

I already had two brands (Reynolds and store-brand) for actual baking, plus the Masterson paper that came with the palette, and borrowed two others (different store brands) from family who already had it. I'm not out any money trying it.

The 8404 is a replacement for the 8404 I've had and used for years with little to no issue. That one held up for a long time, this one started fraying within the first model worth of work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I tell you what, I have never spent so much time fiddling around with a wet palette, because I just sucked it up and bought the redgrass wet palette, and while it's definitely more expensive than doing it yourself I also don't have to deal with any of that crap

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

I already had two brands (Reynolds and store-brand) for actual baking, plus the Masterson paper that came with the palette, and borrowed two others (different store brands) from family who already had it. I'm not out any money trying it.

Are you using so much water that its on top of the palette or something?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

On the topic, AP's wet pallet is inexpensive and comes with everything you need. If someone doesn't want to bother with a homemade one or shelling out a bunch of bucks for an expensive alternative then just get Army Painters.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The only "problem" I've had is that I come back days later and the paints have separated on the palette but you just swirl most of them back together and it's fine

GSW has a cheap palette but it has a curling issue where the paper they use bleeds more than redgrass' version, which means the metallics bleed through into the sponge (doesn't happen with the redgrass one) and the paper physically curls up at the corners which ticks me off and I don't end up using it.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 25, 2022

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

On the topic, AP's wet pallet is inexpensive and comes with everything you need. If someone doesn't want to bother with a homemade one or shelling out a bunch of bucks for an expensive alternative then just get Army Painters.

thats what i use, it and a refill pack, so 4 sponges and more parchment paper than you can shake a stick at for under 30 cad.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I tell you what, I have never spent so much time fiddling around with a wet palette, because I just sucked it up and bought the redgrass wet palette, and while it's definitely more expensive than doing it yourself I also don't have to deal with any of that crap
someone bought me one as a gift and while i probably wouldn’t have spent the money on it, i really like having it

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The only "problem" I've had is that I come back days later and the paints have separated on the palette but you just swirl most of them back together and it's fine

GSW has a cheap palette but it has a curling issue where the paper they use bleeds more than redgrass' version, which means the metallics bleed through into the sponge (doesn't happen with the redgrass one) and the paper physically curls up at the corners which ticks me off and I don't end up using it.

at warfaire weekend, game envy had donated a shitload of exemplars for people taking classes to use, and goddamn that is a nice one. I have an AP and I think if you're going to spend the money, the exemplar is worth it over AP.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

The LGS in town has the redgrass one and I'm helluva tempted to pick up the smaller one for €39.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Red Grass wet palette is the only one I've ever used and It Just Works, with their paper or with baking paper or whatever. I dunno, if you're strapped for cash it's a rough hobby but if you can just Buy Boxes Of Plastic then it's worth it imo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

at warfaire weekend, game envy had donated a shitload of exemplars for people taking classes to use, and goddamn that is a nice one. I have an AP and I think if you're going to spend the money, the exemplar is worth it over AP.

I agree, I bought my workfriend who I convinced to start painting miniatures the Exemplar and I seriously debated just keeping it and ordering a second one for myself, but I ended up not getting it for myself at the time.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I have the Army Painter one and it works pretty well, but... I never feel like I need to use it. I guess my painting sessions never last long enough for the paints to dry on the palette while I'm using them? and I don't really do a lot of paint mixing that I feel like I need to save (I just write down the recipe since it's all dropper bottles).

Or maybe I just really enjoy peeling the dried paint out of the palette because I just dropped money on Turbo Dork's silicone palette...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've been meaning to ask, have you been mixing drying retarder into your paints on the wet pallette?

because apparently that's a big nono, if makes the paints suck in water.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Eej posted:

The Red Grass wet palette is the only one I've ever used and It Just Works, with their paper or with baking paper or whatever. I dunno, if you're strapped for cash it's a rough hobby but if you can just Buy Boxes Of Plastic then it's worth it imo

I strongly agree. Red grass palette is fantastic especially with their sponge and paper. 0 regrets on that purchase. I backed their second kickstarter and was very satisfied.

I used AP before and Redgrass was a major step up. I really like their reusable paper. If I’m being neat and regularly cleaning it, I get probably 8 washes out of 1 piece.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Jonny Nox posted:

I've been meaning to ask, have you been mixing drying retarder into your paints on the wet pallette?

because apparently that's a big nono, if makes the paints suck in water.

No. Just the paint. I don't even have to add water for the initial brush loading to be thinned down to "barely acceptable for base coating".

My Spirit Otter posted:

Are you using so much water that its on top of the palette or something?

That was the first thing I checked long before I posted here.

Sufficiently frustrated that I just ordered the Redgrass palette, here's hoping the money isn't wasted.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Do you live in an area with 137% humidity?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I went back through a bunch of your posts and didn't see it mentioned, but what brand/type of paint are you trying to use on your wet palette?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Lumpy posted:

Do you live in an area with 137% humidity?

Assuming the two hygrometers I keep in my apartment are both accurate, around 60%.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I went back through a bunch of your posts and didn't see it mentioned, but what brand/type of paint are you trying to use on your wet palette?

Citadel, Vallejo, and ProAcryl. I have a bottle of Golden around here somewhere (for a different, non-miniatures project) but I find it unlikely it'll have different results from the other three. Vallejo and ProAcryl last marginally longer before they get too diluted, but I'm chalking that up to "dropper bottles mean there's a larger volume of paint at a given time vs brush-load from a Citadel pot".

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aCMTpJx2cs

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What is a good way to model something translucent? I want to add a psychic blast coming off my Maleceptor's side brains and hitting a space marine to make his head pop. In my mind it looks like a DBZ kind of cartoon power blast/lightning arcing around off of the side brains with a slight tint, possibly light blue, but I can't figure out how to make it. Looked around for something being sold, experimented with drying Elmer's glue, no major success yet.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

If you have access to a resin printer there are lots of translucent resins and dyes. Pretty expensive and difficult if you're not already living that life though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Resin is possible in theory but it's the bottom of my personal list. Admittedly my list is not exceptionally long as I haven't found much so far. Was taking a shot in the dark that someone had an idea. Best I've come up with so far is the water effect technical paints and a lot of layers. Never used the stuff so I may be completely wrong and the stuff is like a limp noodle when dried or something.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I have a bunch of minis to repaint so I decided to get an airbrush so hopefully it's faster. If I do something like airbrush the basecoat, apply a wash, top-down airbrush the highlights, and then go back and pick out details by hand is that good enough for a "complete feeling paintjob"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

bird food bathtub posted:

Resin is possible in theory but it's the bottom of my personal list. Admittedly my list is not exceptionally long as I haven't found much so far. Was taking a shot in the dark that someone had an idea. Best I've come up with so far is the water effect technical paints and a lot of layers. Never used the stuff so I may be completely wrong and the stuff is like a limp noodle when dried or something.

You dont actually need a 3d printer, you can just buy some clear UV curing resin and cure it with a UV light. People use it for jewelry making and stuff, I've got some I use for water effects on bases. You can tint it with inks (I *think* alcohol based rather than water based, but that might depend on the resin.) or just do it clear and paint it with a very thinned contrast or similar?

Idea the second is hot glue, applied in the pattern you want on some parchment paper so you can peel it off when its dried. Either clear and paint with contrasts again or buy one of the coloured hot glue sticks maybe? Maybe better for a fireball type shape than a lighting bolt.

Idea the third is Mod Podge dimensional magic, which is what I used as shallow water before I started using clear UV resin for it. You can tint this with acrylic paints just fine.