Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I just find the 2-handed club is pretty great for crowd control by itelf and don't really like the idea of being stationary, and found the shield took up quite a lot of screen space visually. If there's ranged lads hitting me I'll either explode them or hide behind a wall BUT i do like the idea of helping the team so will give it another go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Exodee posted:

Not that the Lucius is great or anything, but you should be able to one tap body-shot ranged guys even without fully charging the shot. (about 3/4th is enough) I've got a pretty low-level one too, a white mk1 with 144 power rating, and I can still do so on Malice.

Maybe you accidentally hit them in the arm? Or the later variants could be worse than the mk1.

I would like it to one tap regular infantry to the chest without charging because it costs two more ammo (5 not 7 I was wrong) than the XII which already does that, is the trouble.

That said yes hitting the arms is a problem in this game because they appear to have gone with a full on Call of Duty/Siege level hitbox. I've taken to gut shotting ranged guys because of this instead of trying to get it in over their arms/gun.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Orv posted:

I would like it to one tap regular infantry to the chest without charging because it costs two more ammo (5 not 7 I was wrong) than the XII which already does that, is the trouble.

That said yes hitting the arms is a problem in this game because they appear to have gone with a full on Call of Duty/Siege level hitbox. I've taken to gut shotting ranged guys because of this instead of trying to get it in over their arms/gun.
Oh yeah, it does tiny amounts of damage if you don't charge it. It can still be useful as a finisher, but otherwise the Lucius is all about that charge.

Honestly the XII is maybe a bit too ammo efficient lol, even if I use it a whole bunch on my Zealot I never seem to run out.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Exodee posted:

Not that the Lucius is great or anything, but you should be able to one tap body-shot ranged guys even without fully charging the shot. (about 3/4th is enough) I've got a pretty low-level one too, a white mk1 with 144 power rating, and I can still do so on Malice.

Maybe you accidentally hit them in the arm? Or the later variants could be worse than the mk1.

Yeah, I said before that the plasma is hella strong in the right hands, but it requires your team to be on the ball so that you can snipe and reload in peace. (and also for the others to not swipe all the ammo from you) It seems like a pretty high skill-cap gun compared to the bolter so pretty satisfying if you can make it work.

I'm guessing the camo feat would also work well with it.

If I don't trust my teammates to snipe specials (which is almost always when pugging lol) I always take it on my Zealot too. For the Zealot being able to swap between melee and ranged quickly is pretty important too, so the Kantrael XII makes a good fit compared to the sluggish bolter.

Edit: Actually, I've been trying the newly buffed Infantry Autoguns (Agripinaa mk1 or something) and it's pretty decent at it too. It's probably still not as good as the Kantrael but if you ever need a change of pace it's not too bad as an alternative.

Yeah Plasma turns you into the most ammo hungry class, but also as I'm going up in difficulty I think the plasma gun really shines over the bolter and the weaker lasguns. In 1 and 2 there aren't many chances to shine, but in 3/malice you'll be running into patrols with double maulers, lots of double ogryn and reaper spawns, ragers out the wazoo and being another teammate who can pick them off from anywhere even if they're shielded by other enemies is a really useful skill. It's super accurate so you can explode snipers as well as any las, and although its really ammo inefficient in a pinch you can still suppress normal shooter squads to keep their heads down.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

Has to be bugged then, there are already 2 other Heresy penances for Psyker further down on the list.

Edit: Also, the "Kill 5 different elites with Brain Burst within 10 seconds" penance seems impossible with the cast time it has. Is there a way to reduce it?

There is a level 30 feat that makes burst charge 25% faster after a psychenetic wrath but I'm still not sure how it's possible since at that difficulty it takes 2 bursts to kill a special. Maybe there will be gear down the line that helps. Those three psyker penances are pretty absurd.

Maybe if some/all of them are already softened up it could work.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

hemale in pain posted:

What's the shield like? I tried it and really didn't like the lack of big swingy bashyness. Does it block all firearms when held up?

I didn't like it the first few times I tried it because the knife kills a lot faster. As I start getting higher level/better team mates that actually kill things, being able to block chokepoints, large crowds of nasties like maulers/ragers, and ranged targets is great. You can just peek through your shield and waddle right up to shooters in cover to make them either shoot at your shield instead of your team or start trying to melee you. Either way if they're not shooting your team then that's value.

The special move button lets you take up a defensive stance where you can't move but you will block forever regardless of your stamina. In this stance your only threats are specials with fire or cc. There have been times where I have gone in a bit too deep but could just turtle in a corner til my team catches up to shoot everything in the back.

I don't spam light attacks with the shield, I take the heavy attacks inflict bleed talent and the +10% damage resist talent per nearby bleeding target talent. The shield heavy sweeps are huge and knock everything around, even ogryns, so the small mobs will probably die to bleed on the ground or when my next heavy comes around. I do make sure to use the push/follow up combo sometimes as well.

I also take the +100% toughness replenishment for teammates in coherency, and +50% coherency radius so when I'm just standing and blocking I'm still helping my team be a bit tougher with my presence alone.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 24, 2022

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Drakes posted:

Its kind of decent practice for transitioning from lvl 2 to 3 honestly. You gotta play smarter, cautiously, and get poo poo done faster.
IMO 2 grim rank 2 is MUCH harder than rank 3.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Orv posted:

In the training room I noticed that the shoulder plate on the ogryn enemy with a stubber actually blocks shots. It's quite cool that they went to that much effort with the hitboxes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Exodee posted:

Oh yeah, it does tiny amounts of damage if you don't charge it. It can still be useful as a finisher, but otherwise the Lucius is all about that charge.

Honestly the XII is maybe a bit too ammo efficient lol, even if I use it a whole bunch on my Zealot I never seem to run out.

Yeah probably a bit, even with the nerf from 70% to 40% I've had a couple games with the XII where people ask "How much ammo do you have dude?"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Where does the shield go when the ogyn doesn't have it out?

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Ogryn shield is MVP, great horde control and the defensive stance can be useful at times to block shots.

Just dont think you can block off a corridor since enemies are able to (and frequently do) walk right through your player model. Nothing like attempting to hold a chokepoint only for the enemies to phase through you to get at people behind you.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Man all this seems needlessly complicated so I'll probably just not bother and just use whatever weapon I get my hands on (while griping about how fatshark seems to be making their itemization worse with every iteration the whole time).

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Kaddish posted:

Those three psyker penances are pretty absurd.

I got the dogkiller one no problem but those seem like they’ll need a dedicated group and many attempts. Weird design, especially the solo a monstrosity with brain burster one. I just want fancy clothes :negative:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
My only issue with the Ogryn shield so far is when I need to 1v1 specials; ragers in particular take loving forever to kill with the bonk and shield, and since swings don't stagger or interrupt them it ends up turning into "block 8 hits, swing once, repeat eleven billion times times" (even using the push attack which is a headshot cleave) type of deal and it sucks massive rear end. Mutants too feel like they take forever to die from just bonking them. :<

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Edmond Dantes posted:

My only issue with the Ogryn shield so far is when I need to 1v1 specials; ragers in particular take loving forever to kill with the bonk and shield, and since swings don't stagger or interrupt them it ends up turning into "block 8 hits, swing once, repeat eleven billion times times" (even using the push attack which is a headshot cleave) type of deal and it sucks massive rear end. Mutants too feel like they take forever to die from just bonking them. :<

Heavy shield sweeps absolutely knock ragers around for me, and with the right talent they will also be bleeding. Bleeding stacks up to 4 now IIRC so it helps your time to kill when using shield tremendously, but ideally you're just making it safe for your teammates to pop off on them so make sure you're spamming that tag button to highlight targets for them. Don't neglect your dodge too, you can charge heavy -> walk up and hit -> dodge back -> repeat. For muties there's few better targets for your grenade boxes. Now that we get 2 at a time they can be used more liberally.

Just did another mission where the objective was to kill those corruption eyeballs and realized the grenade gauntlet is excellent for killing the tentacles quickly. Each tentacle anchor has three boils you need to pop on it and a grenade on target will wipe them out immediately.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 24, 2022

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, noticed the knocking around last night but I kinda forgot about the bleed stacks so I just started trying to mash vertical bonk between his chains. I've been mostly playing it like I did Warrior Priest: just chain stagger everything with heavy sweeps and let my teammates do the actual killing, but I revert to light attacks when I'm not fighting mobs; I need to start abusing bleed a bit more for specials.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Does bleed actually do anything at malice+? I tried soul blaze last night and it really appeared to do nothing

The force sword rules. At malice, one special attack leaves a mauler with like 1 hp, being able to just chunk a special as needed up close can be very clutch

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shield bashing is for keeping things knocked down/busy while your team kills their targets without having to worry about watching the side you're on. Once they're done they can come help clean up!

I unlocked the LMG thing last night and man that thing rips. I love that you still get the upper body exploding thing like if you hit them with a shotgun. Feels real chunky.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

drrockso20 posted:

Man going for Grimoires or Tomes is just plain a trap that isn't worth the trouble they bring

Grims and tomes are such lazy design. It was sort of ok in V2 even though I hated the jumping puzzles taking the pacing out of the game, but at least it was somewhat... setting-appropriate? Theyre just pickups like any other that from more than 3 feet away look like any other ammo pickup, and incentivizes splitting up your team when every other mechanic in teh game tries to get you to stay together.

Why not have special spawn console or shrines or however you wanna loreify it, same Boss Shrines you have in CW. Everyone gathers, push optional button, out comes a monster or set of elites/special packs, and then you get your grim or scrip.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kaysette posted:

I got the dogkiller one no problem but those seem like they’ll need a dedicated group and many attempts. Weird design, especially the solo a monstrosity with brain burster one. I just want fancy clothes :negative:

Yeah the dog one was easy. I was more talking about the pushing 20 mobs, killing the monstrosity, and the killing 5 elites.

I've seen some tips for map locations to try the pushing one but haven't got around to it.

Fishstick posted:

Grims and tomes are such lazy design. It was sort of ok in V2 even though I hated the jumping puzzles taking the pacing out of the game, but at least it was somewhat... setting-appropriate? Theyre just pickups like any other that from more than 3 feet away look like any other ammo pickup, and incentivizes splitting up your team when every other mechanic in teh game tries to get you to stay together.

Why not have special spawn console or shrines or however you wanna loreify it, same Boss Shrines you have in CW. Everyone gathers, push optional button, out comes a monster or set of elites/special packs, and then you get your grim or scrip.

Unfortunately, it seems grims and/or tomes are almost always part of the weeklies and right now really the only way to get better gear at 30.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Kaddish posted:

Yeah the dog one was easy. I was more talking about the pushing 20 mobs, killing the monstrosity, and the killing 5 elites.

I've seen some tips for map locations to try the pushing one but haven't got around to it.

I actually managed to help out 2 pubbie psykers get that as ogryn yesterday relatively easy. The map that starts you out on the leman russ bridge (forget the name) has a little walkway on the left side, not far from the literal first dropdown at the start. Psykers behind, ogryn in front, wait for the first horde pile. Ogryn just stagger shoves the horde, one guy watches the back, psykers push off the ogryn-staggered trash.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Tomes aren't too bad, grims are absolutely punishing. I do not know how 2 grims would be possible in difficulty 4 or 5.

Maybe with the right trinkets I guess but with the damage at those levels, the high incidence of specials, and effectively only having one down...

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Dravs posted:

I feel like the dogs need to be slowed down a bit, impossible to shoot when they are zipping all over the place.

Perestroika posted:

Mostly just giving them some actual inertia would help. Plenty of times I've had a dog running at me, I sidestepped, and it did an immediate 180 and pounced me regardless.

I admit this is me on Malice difficulty for the most part but.

If you do a push or a melee weapon special that staggers at the right time when a dog is running at you, you can just scuff their leap attack entirely and then just hack them to death. I've found doing that a lot easier than trying to shoot them.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 24, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Woah there game, don't get too crazy with the damage modifiers

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Woah there game, don't get too crazy with the damage modifiers

Have 10%! 10% what? Don't ask, you get 10%!

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
new patch just in!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1361210/view/3485252139455688548?l=english patch notes

Cosmetics in the armory and crafting are in!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kaddish posted:

Unfortunately, it seems grims and/or tomes are almost always part of the weeklies and right now really the only way to get better gear at 30.

You can reroll the weeklies, first reroll is free and the next is 2500 which is like a third of a malice difficulty reward, does start ramping up from there but if you get two or three weeklies you don't want it's pretty reasonable to reroll them. The ones I have this week were do 15 missions, kill 750 scabs with ranged weapons, kill 750 dregs in melee, kill 5 monstrosities and then one other I can't remember right now. Pretty reasonable to do but I originally had "pick up 12 grimoires" which I didn't want to do.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Really liking this, but would it kill the Inquisition to open a clothing store on the ship?

Edit: lol beaten by the patch

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 24, 2022

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Power Walrus posted:

Really liking this, but would it kill the Inquisition to open a clothing store on the ship?

They just added cosmetics to the armory :)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The Ogryn shield has very anemic damage on everything except, weirdly, Crushers. Spam light attacks are quite good on Crushers. The heavy attacks with the shield have great stagger but they do absolute poo poo for damage against everything, even with the bleed talent. You're really relying on your team to do all the damage when you have the shield, and I feel like losing the ability to clear hordes is too much of a cost. ymmv.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

quote:

Setup separate weapon-specific dodge curves for light melee weapons, tune-up separate zealot baseline:
Setup separate dodge curve for Zealot class, increase baseline dodge distance to 2.75m over 0.4s (was 2.5m over 0.4s).
Increase dodge slide friction speed threshold to 5.5m/s (from 4.5) - we don't break down as hard on dodge-sliding.
Setup weapon specific curves for agile dodge profiles to allow customized behavior:
For Atrox Tactical Axes and Maccabian Duelling Swords: Custom curve 2.75m over 0.35s with fine-tuned end of curve for chaining.
For Catachan Mk III Combat Blade: Custom curve 2.9m over 0.35s with fine-tuned end of curve for chaining.

Am I reading this right in that this means slides overall became "slipperier", and that zealots in general now have larger dodge distance?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

some loser who isn’t with friends and family for thanksgiving today let me know if resource pickups in missions still are only for whoever grabs them and not the whole group because if so holy moly is that going to be a shitshow

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Cease to Hope posted:

The Ogryn shield has very anemic damage on everything except, weirdly, Crushers. Spam light attacks are quite good on Crushers. The heavy attacks with the shield have great stagger but they do absolute poo poo for damage against everything, even with the bleed talent. You're really relying on your team to do all the damage when you have the shield, and I feel like losing the ability to clear hordes is too much of a cost. ymmv.

Yeah I'm only playing on diff 3 so I should disclose that maybe this sucks on 4 and 5 but my 3s have been going super smooth.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

They specifically said in the notes that material pickups are shared equally (everyone gets the pickup amount) and not affected or split by team size.

Now to see if it actually does

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cowcaster posted:

some loser who isn’t with friends and family for thanksgiving today let me know if resource pickups in missions still are only for whoever grabs them and not the whole group because if so holy moly is that going to be a shitshow

They were never only for those that picked them up. It was only the weekly mission completion that required you to pick them up yourself, the mats themselves went to everyone

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Broken Cog posted:

They were never only for those that picked them up. It was only the weekly completion that required you to pick them up yourself, the mats themselves went to everyone

Man I thought I was going crazy because everyone was complaining about mats not being shared but this is how I remembered it too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hmm, flipping through the cosmetic shop for Ogryns, I'm pretty sure every single one is a retexture of something already in the game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jerkface posted:

plasma should have more ammo and be entirely heat system instead of reload and heat imo

pressing reload will safely vent all heat like normal but if you fire and let it cool you shouldn't need to reload

I think that would take it way over the bolter entirely, because then you could use it on just about everything in the game without any consideration of logistics. I think just one or two more extra plasma tanks instead of the single one you get would be enough to allow for more liberal use against enemy shooter squads and smaller targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Im not sure if its a bug or what but its entirely possible to get 4+ "disablers" spawning at once on Heresy. Two trappers, a dog and two mutants usually goes one of two ways: people manage to snipe them down before anyone gets grabbed or one person gets grabbed and everyone goes down in similar fashion within 10 seconds with very little counterplay.

I might just stick to difficulty 3 on pugs, 4 and above is doing my head in with just how quick it goes from "everyone is at full health and ammo, the end is in sight" to "three people are trapped, third is pinned by a horde and 30+ shooters while 8+ specials close in"