Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i cant help but notice you lack a RAT, which is the best pedal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I know there's a guitar pedal that makes the type of sound in this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfT3vcG4qZc
at 19 seconds in and I thought it was called a freeze, but apparently that's something else. what term should i be using

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Wilko Johnson passed, 9 years after he was given less than a year to live due to pancreatic cancer. Then he was rediagnosed with a treatable version and they removed a near 7 lb tumor. Yikes.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/nov/23/wilko-johnson-dies-aged-75

Going to guess most people know him as Ser Ilyn Payne from Game of Thrones, but if you're old enough or into older rock you may know him from Dr Feelgood, an excellent British Pub-Rock band from the 70s, and his odd playing style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHm7uIC84YM

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

is there a place i can read up on writing modal songs/chords without ending up reading a a book on modal jazz composition or something

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

theres a lot of media on modes, but a lot of it is terrible.

did you say you were at a music school currently?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ethanol posted:

theres a lot of media on modes, but a lot of it is terrible.

did you say you were at a music school currently?

i failed out because of my cool CPTSD issues

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

oh im sorry.

I was going to suggest trying to find a master guitar teacher through the school. I mean you dont need the school to do that, the master teacher I saw in school also gave private lessons. But it does cost money so I get it. But that can help with technique barriers a lot and they can teach a lot of interesting stuff

i used to read the jazz mode books, they had some cool ideas but just really dense and trying to piece the notation to the fretboard could get boring.

recently ive been browsing youtube guitarists and using https://grunfy.com/scaler.html and https://www.all-guitar-chords.com/scales to look at scales in different ways and https://www.tonegym.co/tool/item?id=circle-of-fifths to limited success for songwriting.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 24, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

here's something entirely different:

what makes the strings on my strat generally closer than on my telecaster? i thought they had the same fretboard radius. is it nut width?

i'm in the mood for telecaster pickups again (listening to a lot of asian indie rock/punk lol) but it's really hard for me to use all the cool chords i know now from jazz, with the strings so much farther apart (hard to do stuff like mute lower strings with the top of my finger, that sort of thing)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Radius isn't going to impact how close the strings are, that's going to be nut width. Looking it up (and trying to remember what they are off the top of my head), CV teles hand a width of 1.65" while American standard strats have a width of 1.685". It doesn't sound like much but you'd be able to tell pretty quick.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

wouldn't that make the strat strings farther apart though?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

cause i will say like, i can do double stop type stuff on the strat which is really useful but the tips of my fingers just physically aren't large enough to hit two strings in this telecaster, especially on the high frets, with one finger tip.

really weird hands because my fingers are long but not wide at all. i'm kinda like salad fingers

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think there’s also end of board spacing?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, higher if on the neck is a problem them string spacing at the bridge could be the issue? I mean grab a ruler and check, these are the measurements that're easy to figure out, it's not like neck profile or radius something.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

here's a weird issue: i really want something with p90s for the Single Coil Guitar, but i actually can't find something that's both cool and comfortable.

i really gotta have a body that can sit closer to MY body, i can play for a lot longer and more comfortably that way, which means that even though les paul jrs are cool, they're certified not comfortable. see also jim adkins tele (i did not expect this but jimmy eat world has actually great dirty tone).

mustang 90 would sort of be the best bet but all those colors are bad and you're approaching $700 with those now c'mon at LEAST give me a good color.

correct answer to this night actually be epi wilshire now that i think about it

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i'm just doing fantasies btw i'm at the table for thanksgiving and my mom won't loving stop talking about religion and i'm trying to stay composed

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

G&L fallout

gibson SG :) (sg don't come standard with P90s but i'm pretty sure thats a thing)

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 24, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

fallouts absolutely fuckin rip but i thought the p90 was only in the neck?

those buckers are sick but i do already have a bridge humbucker.

actually a more real question is what i should do with the strat pickups, cause i'm not really into the current strat pickups. the middle one is reversed, so the neck + middle setting is really weird and not super usable.

either interested in better strat pickups to counteract the bridge humbucker, or maybe a low output neck humbucker or something that i can use to get a more jangly/dreamy sound. i have to start with a new pickguard anyway whenever i get around to getting that guitar wiring fixed, so i may as well think about that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

landgrabber posted:

fallouts absolutely fuckin rip but i thought the p90 was only in the neck?

those buckers are sick but i do already have a bridge humbucker.

actually a more real question is what i should do with the strat pickups, cause i'm not really into the current strat pickups. the middle one is reversed, so the neck + middle setting is really weird and not super usable.

either interested in better strat pickups to counteract the bridge humbucker, or maybe a low output neck humbucker or something that i can use to get a more jangly/dreamy sound. i have to start with a new pickguard anyway whenever i get around to getting that guitar wiring fixed, so i may as well think about that.

eh yeah, the sg special does come with dual p90s tho, the epiphone version is $500, that's what I was thinking of. i dunno anything about humbucker strats lol

edit: the sg is probably a bad suggestion since you were just complaining about string spacing being too big though. compared to my stratocaster my sg is like a baseball bat

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 24, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Squier did some p90 jazzmasters... noventa maybe? or a paranormal?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Buy a cheap strat since you find the body comfy, a replacement pickguard for like $20 and two GFS p90s for like $35 each.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

...but i do already have a bridge humbucker.
O My Sweet Summer Child,

odinninn
Nov 5, 2012
I am thinking of getting a new guitar and amp soon. I remember the Squire CV Tele being well received when they were released, is it still considered good value or has something changed?

As for the amp I am thinking of the THR10 or the Boss Katana, currently leaning towards the THR10. Although I am willing to let strangers on the internet convince me to get something else.

I have had the same Epiphone Les Paul for 20 years but never really played it all that much. Have been getting more into it recently and am having a lot of fun with it even though I am playing it unplugged because I don't have an amp.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have the THR10x, which was superseded by the THR10ii. It sounds good and it's the sort of thing where you can leave it out on a desk or use it as external speakers for your phone or whatever and it looks good. It doesn't have an effects loop and the onboard effects other than gain are pretty weak. It's a good "pick up your guitar and gently caress around for a few minutes amp" and it's a pretty good straightforward recording interface if you don't want to go nuts on effects but it's pretty limited beyond that.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I ordered a THR10, unboxed it, then returned it the next day and bought a Katana head (I had PA speakers already and ended up getting a real 2x12 cab).

I definitely didn't give it enough of a chance but otoh have had literally 0 regrets, and I have a $10 practice amp thats portable to supplement for when I need that

e: https://www.electrikjam.com/boss-katana-sneaky-amps-guide/ cool poo poo if you don't know already

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 24, 2022

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i like the boss mroe than the thr10, i personally went with a mustang GTX though, just easier to dial into the fender amps i like

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't really like fender amps generally, with the exception of playing through a very slightly dirty electric solo, just tickling the overdrive the very slightest, using it like an acoustic kinda.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

odinninn posted:

I am thinking of getting a new guitar and amp soon. I remember the Squire CV Tele being well received when they were released, is it still considered good value or has something changed?

As for the amp I am thinking of the THR10 or the Boss Katana, currently leaning towards the THR10. Although I am willing to let strangers on the internet convince me to get something else.

I have had the same Epiphone Les Paul for 20 years but never really played it all that much. Have been getting more into it recently and am having a lot of fun with it even though I am playing it unplugged because I don't have an amp.

I've had a THR10II and its pretty great as a low volume amp. I'd recommend it if you want something with a small form factor and don't anticipate needing anything loud.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I have a Roland JC 40 that can do both loud and practice pretty well. If you get one you’ll probably want an overdrive and a Rat though.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I have a THR10ii and I like it. It's got a great form factor and looks nice - my wife even lets me keep up upstairs in the living room. It does feel a little overpriced for what it is, and I haven't even scratched the beginning of all the features it has, but it's been a good practice amp.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

landgrabber posted:

here's a weird issue: i really want something with p90s for the Single Coil Guitar, but i actually can't find something that's both cool and comfortable.

i really gotta have a body that can sit closer to MY body, i can play for a lot longer and more comfortably that way, which means that even though les paul jrs are cool, they're certified not comfortable. see also jim adkins tele (i did not expect this but jimmy eat world has actually great dirty tone).

mustang 90 would sort of be the best bet but all those colors are bad and you're approaching $700 with those now c'mon at LEAST give me a good color.

correct answer to this night actually be epi wilshire now that i think about it

I don't know if you get Artist Guitars in the US, but their Jazzmaster knockoff actually has P90's. I think the Harley Benton JM is the same guitar, just rebranded.

So offset, but P90's.

odinninn
Nov 5, 2012
Thanks for the amp recommendations everyone, it's given me a bit better perspective I think. But do you folks still think the Squire Classic Vibe Telecasters are good value or are there other models that have more bang per unit of buck?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

they're still good, especially with the discounts fender has on them right now

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Squires a great. G&L tribute series are really good to for the price.

edit: Sweetwater has some killer deals on Squires at the moment for black friday. CV tele is on sale, the thinline one, and the thinline HH one.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 25, 2022

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
So I’m in guitar center right now and I found a Yamaha compass series used for 1300. I am absolutely loving this thing and I really think im gonna walk out with it but can anyone tell me anything about this series? Is this a good price is it quality etc? Anything Really.

https://i.imgur.com/eGB8GaY.jpg

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Yamaha don't make bad guitars even at the cheap levels. The ones that price band are very nice.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

landgrabber posted:

i cant help but notice you lack a RAT, which is the best pedal

Mmmyes, that is good point. I feel like I'm a little bit short on distortion here.

Red_Fred posted:

Do you need a noise gate? Those are deceptively expensive!

I do not! My new-to-me plexi clone is VERY quiet, much more so than my Hughes&Kettner. But I imagine I will need one at some point if I chain too much poo poo together.

Huxley posted:

A Microcosm will solve both your problems (having space and disposable income).

This sent me to Youtube and I spent a fair amount of time listening to it. Sounds like a very complex but potentially awesome beast. Thanks for the recommendation!

muike posted:

no overdrive to push your amp's input?

I use the SD-1 and it works marvelously with my not-a-Plexi.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Digital delay
Tremolo with selectable wave shapes.
Octaver/pitch shifter

Oh yes, octaver! I keep forgetting about those. The Dark Star has an octaver built in but it only works in conjuction with spaced out weirdness so a "standalone" one might be the ticket. Back when I used to play more as a teenager I had this harmonizer pedal, I think it was a Boss, that was super fun to do your own Iron Maiden harmony riffs with. Worked surprisingly well.

Digital Delay, yes. I like the Boss ones so maybe I should pick one up.

By the way, did anyone else fall for the siren song of the TOD10N? I ordered one as soon as it was possible but have no clue when it'll arrive except "sometime in 2023".
https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/tod10n_5b_01.html

Been looking at thin bodied nylon string options for a long time and this seems to be huge bang for the buck.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 25, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

odinninn posted:

Thanks for the amp recommendations everyone, it's given me a bit better perspective I think. But do you folks still think the Squire Classic Vibe Telecasters are good value or are there other models that have more bang per unit of buck?

Yeah, the classic vibe telecasters are still really good. The CV I bought had a better setup and fret work than my MIM player telecaster.

I'll say this. If you want a telecaster for the magical telecaster tone, don't get a humbucker based tele unless its a deluxe with the single coil in the bridge and humbucker in the neck. They just don't have that slappy twangy sound like telecasters should have. I loved the look and playability of my classic vibe thinline HH but it had zero tonal character. The wide range pickups were incredibly dull and lacked clarity I really wanted. I even changed the pots and it still sounded really uninspiring.

The only humbucker filled telecaster I would consider anymore would be two filter trons/TV jones because their clarity can match that of a tele bridge single coil.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does the thread have any recommended drummer/metronome pedals?

I have a Helix and of course the one thing it doesn’t have is a metronome or drum stuff. I have been using a website as a metronome which is actually fine but I assume if I travel with my Helix and don’t have Internet a pedal would be easier. Plus then I don’t need to turn my laptop on each time I need a metronome.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Red_Fred posted:

Does the thread have any recommended drummer/metronome pedals?

I have a Helix and of course the one thing it doesn’t have is a metronome or drum stuff. I have been using a website as a metronome which is actually fine but I assume if I travel with my Helix and don’t have Internet a pedal would be easier. Plus then I don’t need to turn my laptop on each time I need a metronome.

I use an app called Time Guru because it’s a couple dollars and has no adds if a phone is an option.

Edit: that’s just a metronome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Oh yes, octaver! I keep forgetting about those. The Dark Star has an octaver built in but it only works in conjuction with spaced out weirdness so a "standalone" one might be the ticket. Back when I used to play more as a teenager I had this harmonizer pedal, I think it was a Boss, that was super fun to do your own Iron Maiden harmony riffs with. Worked surprisingly well.

Digital Delay, yes. I like the Boss ones so maybe I should pick one up.

I have a Boss DD-7, it sounds great, has a bunch of delay types and was really cheap. Every once in a while I'll get the urge to get some fancy expensive boutique delay, play through the boss and just kinda go yeah but why?

I've never had the Boss harmonizer as a pedal but I have an old 90s rack unit that has that effect in it and its pretty fun. Having to pick a key makes it a little hard to use spontaneously, especially in an old rack set up but it sounds cool when you can plan a part around it and want that 80s guitar harmonies thing.