Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Shinjobi posted:

Man, really? Just seems like with wrestling spoilers being a pretty big thing on pretaped shows it would have an effect.

Hell, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's just the booking, plain and simple.

It doesn't make sense to me either. I'm always more jazzed if it's live and sometimes taped Rampages don't get watched till Monday when if it's live I'm there. I always thought TNA going live would be a big deal. lol It's always been weird to me that it doesn't have much of an effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That point honestly seems like nonsense to me. Dynamite booking doesn't somehow devalue Rampage. Especially if you're trying to make that point in a vacuum where it doesn't matter what is on rampage, just what isn't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As much as people make fun of poo poo like Roman appearing on Raw and then telling you he'll tell you what's up on Friday, that poo poo works. Imagine if instead of Regal saying MJF wasn't going to explain in Chicago, he said 'you'll have to wait until this Friday on Rampage, sunshines'. And yes, there's the argument that you want that promo in front of the maximum number of eyes, but if you want to build Rampage, you're gonna need to risk fewer people watching some big things until they get the picture that stuff happens on the other show. Otherwise it may as well be Velocity or Thunder.

Hell, you could say the same about Battle of the Belts. Why not put a world title match on one and build it up? Cuz having them be built around random ROH TV title matches and poo poo just tells fans 'this doesn't matter'.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I mean, Roman also isn't trying to get people to watch a show at 10 PM. I think the current calculus is that unless they get a better timeslot for Rampage in the extension then trying to get people to watch it is going to get them only a marginal increase.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rampage is missable though. It's booked like a missable show that like half the AEW audience even watch. There's no big mystery. It's the B show.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I don’t think the occasional live Rampage is a fair comparison, it’s still a primarily taped show and people aren’t going to break the habit for a random live episode.

I assume wrestling being live has to be worth the massive amount of effort it takes to broadcast a live show.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
yeah. i have to imagine if they got it out of 10 pm it'd do a lot better.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Rampage is missable though. It's booked like a missable show that like half the AEW audience even watch. There's no big mystery. It's the B show.

Man I can’t imagine how good the stuff you’re watching is if you think Rampage is miserable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Learn to read maybe.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lol rob

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Hey I’m stupid.

Sorry.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Smackdown is also a big deal because they’ve got a network paying for it at a premium so it’s gradually becoming the bigger show.

With Rampage I feel it’s all down to what is Turner/WBD expecting from this program in this time slot? It’s traditionally a nothing slot but we don’t know what they want (whereas with Dynamite we heard that TNT initially was hoping for 500k and obviously got more than that.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think there is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy in treating like the B show because of the timeslot, though. If it's missable so no-one watches it, then the ratings are poor, which makes it much harder to get WBD to agree to a better timeslot, so you treat it like a missable B show so no-one watches... and so on.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'm a big wrestling fan but I'm not staying home every Friday night to watch wrestling no matter how good the card is.

They could load the show with marquee matches every week, but unless AEW as a whole gets significantly more popular, the ratings for Rampage probably aren't going to stay higher than about 550-600k and will keep trailing Dynamite by a good margin.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
My read (guess) is that Tony thought, "Okay, we'll do real good in this time slot and then Warner will move it to a sane time where we can build from" but instead they did great and Warner were like nothing else could do as good in this cursed slot let's keep milking it. But that still means barely anybody's watching so you don't want to put too many good matches nor more effort there, so instead of an A show at a bad timeslot like it was, it's become more and more a B-show the less chance it has of moving.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

fez_machine posted:

My read (guess) is that Tony thought, "Okay, we'll do real good in this time slot and then Warner will move it to a sane time where we can build from" but instead they did great and Warner were like nothing else could do as good in this cursed slot let's keep milking it. But that still means barely anybody's watching so you don't want to put too many good matches nor more effort there, so instead of an A show at a bad timeslot like it was, it's become more and more a B-show the less chance it has of moving.

The other issue is that currently Friday and Monday are the only open slots for tnt. Tuesday and Thursday is NBA and Wednesday is dynamite and the nhl.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

E:wrong thread

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

LionYeti posted:

The other issue is that currently Friday and Monday are the only open slots for tnt. Tuesday and Thursday is NBA and Wednesday is dynamite and the nhl.

I’d be more likely to watch something at 10 PM Monday than 10 PM Friday.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

kitten emergency posted:

I’d be more likely to watch something at 10 PM Monday than 10 PM Friday.

Then you run into the issue of going head-to-head with RAW.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Vandar posted:

Then you run into the issue of going head-to-head with RAW.

Yeah, there’s not really a great option, I get it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
With the rumbling that WBD might not want to pay a ton for live sports maybe the NBA/NHL/MLB won't always be an issue for AEW. Although that assumes WBD keeps AEW.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pretty standard curve, nice little quarter hour for Big Tom Ish.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

STONE PITBULL

1 4 1

BITE U

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
And, like, obviously the draw is Jericho, but Jericho's quarter hour, particularly his Q8s, haven't been bulletproof lately. The fact that it not only held up but the most watched thing of the last 90 minutes of the show (and the most watched thing outside of Q1 in 18-49) says that people cared about the match and cared about who he was facing.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
never underestimate the "you gotta see this poo poo" effect when a man's chest is pouring blood and a very square man is slapping him and being dropped on his head

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
AEW actually beat RAW in men 18-49 (first time since February, says Dave), but women were well below average.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

With the rumbling that WBD might not want to pay a ton for live sports maybe the NBA/NHL/MLB won't always be an issue for AEW. Although that assumes WBD keeps AEW.

I think with the amount they paid to lock up the Inside the NBA Folks, NBA Tuesday Thursday is gonna be a thing for the forseeable.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJF the only thing that drove an increase in viewership, although Joe vs. Fox did a small increase in the demo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tell me why I’m wrong to believe that the pattern for Dynamite is there’s always an increase at 9 (presumably as people flip over from other stuff) and it doesn’t seem to have a lot to do with who is getting that slot? It seems like people push the idea of Jericho or the Acclaimed or MJF or Punk being in that spot and increasing eyes but to me it looks like the reverse. AEW books what they think is big in that spot because they know there will be increased eyes. Maybe you look to which build that number better into the next quarter?

I’m prepared to be told why I’m wrong. I pay passing attention to this stuff and consider ratings analysis and especially quarter hour analysis to largely be a fools errand. It’s just this pattern I’ve seen of each week there’s that slight bump at 9 and people credit whoever was there. And that seems backwards to me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Unless I'm misreading that it looks like 18000 18+ turned off during the MJF promo while it was still going. 20000 turned off total so that was losing most of the demo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
18,000 people on average aged 18-49 turned off the channel during the course of the quarter hour that had the second part of MJF's promo, an ad break, Ricky Starks vs. Ari Daivari, the angle with Ethan Page and the Britt Baker/Jamie Hayter promo.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
So yeah, the most important part of the episode story-wise happened, and then a bunch of less important stuff happened in a row and some people turned the channel. Not unexpected.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Tell me why I’m wrong to believe that the pattern for Dynamite is there’s always an increase at 9 (presumably as people flip over from other stuff) and it doesn’t seem to have a lot to do with who is getting that slot? It seems like people push the idea of Jericho or the Acclaimed or MJF or Punk being in that spot and increasing eyes but to me it looks like the reverse. AEW books what they think is big in that spot because they know there will be increased eyes. Maybe you look to which build that number better into the next quarter?

I’m prepared to be told why I’m wrong. I pay passing attention to this stuff and consider ratings analysis and especially quarter hour analysis to largely be a fools errand. It’s just this pattern I’ve seen of each week there’s that slight bump at 9 and people credit whoever was there. And that seems backwards to me.

You're not very wrong. Ratings are good for long term views but in the short term it's pretty much tea leaves.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MJeff posted:

MJF the only thing that drove an increase in viewership, although Joe vs. Fox did a small increase in the demo.

We joked in the main AEW thread about BBT panic-calling Punk and begging for him to come back, but after looking at this I'm wondering if it might not be all that far-fetched of a scenario :stare:

Nice to see that the Elite continue to tank the ratings in their segments, though :smuggo:

:v:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Curious to see what was above Dynamite and where it placed for the night, I'm assuming NBA which makes sense.

I don't think using Match 2/3 of a 7 match series as main events is very effective. Not a lot of intrigue until one of the teams is on the verge of losing the series or being eliminated. And now that Elite has won 1, Match 4 can't be the final match either. Would be a good opener though.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Tato posted:

Curious to see what was above Dynamite and where it placed for the night, I'm assuming NBA which makes sense.

I don't think using Match 2/3 of a 7 match series as main events is very effective. Not a lot of intrigue until one of the teams is on the verge of losing the series or being eliminated. And now that Elite has won 1, Match 4 can't be the final match either. Would be a good opener though.

It's weirdly missing from the chart (all TNT/TBS and Fox stuff seems to be omitted this week for some reason), but the 0.26 18-29 they got would have put them third after college basketball

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've never seen that before. If it's omitting other Turner stuff I would imagine it's probably somewhere in the 5-10 range after basketball.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This week is probably an outlier but it's gonna be really interesting to see how MJF's heel run is gonna do ratings wise. I think people wanted him as a face or a tweener and getting classic heel MJF might not be what they want

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's interesting. MJF's stuff of rarely wrestling and putting his opponents through hoops is good stuff when it's the second or third match from the top, but as the main world title program that the company is being built around? It's gonna be relied on to draw ratings, it'll be interesting to see how it does.

It's mildly concerning that most of the other belts are on heels. This seems like a good situation to hedge your bets and have a super reliable workhorse babyface holding the TNT or RoH title that can go out there and have the big singles title match on TV that MJF is probably not gonna have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Not surprised at all that the rating died for the trios match. It's match 3 in a best 7, you've already seen it and regardless of who wins this one, you're going to see it again next week as well. Putting at the end of the show is an open invitation to turn the show off early.